Are humans the most populous race?

Avador.8934

Just wondering... Do you think that humans are the largest race by population? Since we're not aware of the size or status of some territories belonging to major races, like Cantha or charr original homeland somewhere to the east, we can only speculate. But do you think that humans have the biggest potential to be that one?Personally I think they may be. Though they probably have smaller population than before losing Ascalon and Orr, they still may hold the largest territory among the main races. And the bigger the territory is, the bigger is the potential to expand the population. Well, in central Tyria, they have Kryta and Ebonhawke (I'm not counting shared territories like LA), which still seems kinda inferior in territory compared to what Charr seem to hold, but outside of that, there's Elona and Crystal Desert, where many humans live, and Cantha. We don't know what's going on in Cantha, but it's very likely that the empire there still exists, and when humans there decided to get rid of the other local races, they suddenly got a pretty huge place to expand and thrive. Canthan continent is huge, even bigger than Central Tyria, and if humans conquered it all, then it's possible that there's an even bigger population than in Central Tyria and Elona together. I really wonder what's going on there...

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@"Avador.8934" said:there's Elona and Crystal Desert, where many humans live, and Cantha. We don't know what's going on in Cantha, but it's very likely that the empire there still exists, and when humans there decided to get rid of the other local races, they suddenly got a pretty huge place to expand and thrive. Canthan continent is huge, even bigger than Central Tyria, and if humans conquered it all, then it's possible that there's an even bigger population than in Central Tyria and Elona together. I really wonder what's going on there...

i hope they dont play the card "theres nothing here because a big cataclismic event turned all into desert many years ago" on Cantha. theres why i have some dislike for elemental themed Elder Dragons as villains. Just a cheap way to turn large pieces of territory in some monolithic theme like purple cristals, or ice or fire.

@"Eekasqueak.7850" said:I think Charr hold more territory, humans are stated to be on the decline. If you include Elona even then Joko's rule hasn't done wonders for the population, then there's the forged attacks... Asura seem to be pretty spread out, even popping up in Elona.

That's possible, I think it's either human or Charr. The thing is that we still don't know how much land do Charr own (or owned), we've never seen but a simple mention that there's a territory where they came from, somewhere to the east. It may be as big as Ascalon, or bigger than Central Tyria, who knows... I just hope that one day we'll get more info about that place, and possibly travel there...

And that thing about humans being on the decline, I don't think it actually means that they are slowly becoming extinct, but rather it's the state their territories are in. Cantha is completely isolated, but possibly doing well, Elona is under a dictatorship, but Joko's policy is brainwashing, not extermination, and Kryta faces problems like every other race (bandits and stuff). Sure, there was this major decline in population when Ascalon and Orr were lost, but since then, there has been no significant event like this that would direct specifically humans towards extinction. Other events, like Scarlet or dragons going crazy, influenced all major races pretty much equally.The sentence "humans being on the decline", how they as a race are characterized in Tyria, talks predominantly about humans in Central Tyria, since, as I said, we have no idea what's going on in Cantha. There might be a thriving human civilization that Central Tyrians, who just see stuff going on in Cental Tyria and a bit in Elona, have no clue about.

@"Eekasqueak.7850" said:humans are stated to be on the decline.I never got this "humans are on a decline" spiel.-In Cantha, the human Empire of the Dragon forced out all non-humans on the continent, meaning human supremacy increased in Cantha.-Likewise, in Elona, Palwa Joko, a undead human, rules the land, drove out the Giants into the Crystal desert, seemingly drove off the hylek as well, got several harpy clans under his thumb, and supposedly wiped out the centaurs entirely, meaning, even in Elona, human supremacy has increased since the time of Guild Wars 1.-In Tyria proper, Ascalon and Orr are still both destroyed, as they have been since Guild wars 1 began, and Kryta is far more developed then it was back in Guild Wars 1, with its only major problem being a centaur war that only happened because of Caudecus, and hes dead, the centaur leader is dead, and the centaurs have been driven off back into the Woodland Cascade area. So, even in Tyria, there has been a relatively zero gain or loss for human footing,

The only part of humanity that has been on a decline is the cooperation between the various nations, humanity, as a whole, is actually still on the rise. Across the known world, and are by far the singular most dominant race on Tyria(world), with only the Charr possibly able to match them.

declining is a vague word when applied to a species. In the case of the Jotun, the decline means that they ceased to be a species with civilizational capabilities, returning to an almost primitive state.

In the case of humans, the question remains, declining in relation to what? economically? militarily? territory? demography?

This question is impossible to answer cause of Cantha. Kaineng was the biggest city known in the world and mostly occupied with humans (specially cause the Tengu have moved out). But the regime was very bad when we left it and we have no clue how the city is fairing. It is now like counting all the people in the state of New York without knowing how may people live in New York City!

I would say no for GW2. GW1 began with the start of humanity's decline. While humans still have Cantha, the other four nations had lost a good chunk of their population to charr, Awakened, centaurs, Abaddon, and risen. And sadly, Cantha's state remains unclear and unknown, but when we last saw it, it was just beginning to recover from a massively deadly plague that could have wiped out millions.

I would say the charr are likely the most populous race, due to not only their successes with Ascalon, but that they hold lands east of the Blazeridge with no known force to oppose any eastward expansion (or southward until reaching Elona as I doubt the harpies and hekets of Dzalana could give them much pause).

@crepuscular.9047 said:what bout the Skritts? they are everywhere, even underground... could be Quaggans too since they live in the ocean, and capable of laying multiple eggs at once

Don't forget that Skritt seem to be explosive breeders too. They might be the most populous but they're so spread out it'd be hard to tell. Quaggans actually strike me as somewhat slow breeders given the mission with them makes it seem that they need specific conditions, they don't seem to be as adaptable.

@Narcemus.1348 said:We can't forget the possibility of their being humans in a different continent. If I recall right Pereceptor Doern does hint at there being yet another human civilization out there. Though it is still speculation.It would make sense for there to be some other human nation or colony out there. The maps used as a floor texture in the Priory show trade routes going to two otherwise unexplored areas, showing that there was trade to the Battle Isles from those areas

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:It would make sense for there to be some other human nation or colony out there. The maps used as a floor texture in the Priory show trade routes going to two otherwise unexplored areas, showing that there was trade to the Battle Isles from those areas

and the fact that chantry of secrets have a globe version of the world shows humans have travelled across most of the world, and came back alive with the info

the Zephyrites possibly have outposts around the world for resupply when distance too far from any civilisations open for trade

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

@"Eekasqueak.7850" said:humans are stated to be on the decline.I never got this "humans are on a decline" spiel.-In Cantha, the human Empire of the Dragon forced out all non-humans on the continent, meaning human supremacy increased in Cantha.-Likewise, in Elona, Palwa Joko, a undead human, rules the land, drove out the Giants into the Crystal desert, seemingly drove off the hylek as well, got several harpy clans under his thumb, and supposedly wiped out the centaurs entirely, meaning, even in Elona, human supremacy has increased since the time of Guild Wars 1.-In Tyria proper, Ascalon and Orr are still both destroyed, as they have been since Guild wars 1 began, and Kryta is far more developed then it was back in Guild Wars 1, with its only major problem being a centaur war that only happened because of Caudecus, and hes dead, the centaur leader is dead, and the centaurs have been driven off back into the Woodland Cascade area. So, even in Tyria, there has been a relatively zero gain or loss for human footing,

The only part of humanity that has been on a decline is the cooperation between the various nations, humanity, as a whole, is actually still on the rise. Across the known world, and are by far the singular most dominant race on Tyria(world), with only the Charr possibly able to match them.

250 years ago there were 3 human nations on continental tyria. Today there is one. That nation is beset by both internal conflict (Cadecaus etc) and external conflict, which are centaurs. Even in the game, Queen Jennah created the Watchknights and had her jubilee celebration to prove humans were still relevant. It was one of her motivations to invite other races to the Jubilee.

Charr have developed amazing technologies. Asuran have spread their asuran gates and waypoints all over the world. Sylvari and Norn are probably the smallest races, since most of the Asuran race was probably destroyed in Guild Wars 1 and norn have never been particularly numerous and many died in the battle with Jormag before they moved south and found Hoelbrak.

But the game has definitely stated more than once that humans are on the decline at least in world influence. Remember Lion's Arch isn't a human city. The head of the Captain's Council is a norn. Queen Jennah basically rules Divinity's Reach, Ebonhawk in the middle of Charr lands, and some shires/farmland. Human influence in Tyria has declined.

Of course, now that we've come to Elona, that story has changed somewhat.

@"Vayne.8563" said:The head of the Captain's Council is a norn.

The head of the Captain's Council is a human. In fact, that's the only hereditary seat of the Council, meaning that barring regime change, the head of the Council will always be human.Queen Jennah basically rules Divinity's Reach... and some shires/farmland. Human influence in Tyria has declined.The asura basically have a city and a few labs. The charr have a scattering of forts and ranchland. Put like that, any race has little to their name. The humans have certainly declined, but in the sense of going from the unquestioned dominant race to being co-equal with four others. They aren't any particularly worse off than those other four, especially since the cause of the worst of their problems has now been ironed out.

@crepuscular.9047 said:

@"Vagrant.7206" said:The charr have also been steadily expanding outwards (which was part of the origin of problems in GW1) .

Ascalon was part of Charr's land human took away from them, so they are just getting them territories back

Well, they also had the entire northern section of ascalon to play with. Charr are also the reason Orr was sunk.

@Vagrant.7206 said:

@Vagrant.7206 said:The charr have also been steadily expanding outwards (which was part of the origin of problems in GW1) .

Ascalon was part of Charr's land human took away from them, so they are just getting them territories back

Well, they also had the entire northern section of ascalon to play with. Charr are also the reason Orr was sunk.

well... if someone took $5 from your wallet and put it in his wallet, would you not want to take his wallet along with your $5 ? :p

@Aaron Ansari.1604 said:

@"Vayne.8563" said:The head of the Captain's Council is a norn.

In fact, that's the only hereditary seat of the Council, meaning that barring regime change, the head of the Council will
always
be human.Queen Jennah basically rules Divinity's Reach... and some shires/farmland. Human influence in Tyria has declined.The asura basically have a city and a few labs. The charr have a scattering of forts and ranchland. Put like that,
any
race has little to their name. The humans have certainly declined, but in the sense of going from the unquestioned dominant race to being co-equal with four others. They aren't any particularly worse off than those other four, especially since the cause of the worst of their problems has now been ironed out.

I sit corrected. From playing the Living Story, I had drawn the conclusion that Magnus the Bloodyhanded was head of the Captain's Council. Turns out he's head of the Lion's Guard but the point stands. Lion's Arch is not a human city, since Magnus is a captain and he's norn.

Humans have declined and I don't believe they've accomplished as much in the 250 years since Guild Wars 2 when compared to Charr and Asurans. You can argue that point if you want, but the point was made by Anet at the Jubilee that Jennah felt that the humans weren't in the forefront of anything and that's why she made the celebration as she did. You may disagree, but she at least felt it.

@"Vayne.8563" said:250 years ago there were 3 human nations on continental tyria. Today there is one.Which is exactly how GW1 started. Orr sunk, Ascalon destroyed, and Kryta left standing.

That nation is beset by both internal conflict (Cadecaus etc) and external conflict, which are centaurs.Well, the centaur war was started by Cadecaus, so its an "external" conflict, that only exists due to the internal one. And every race has some sort of internal conflict going on. Sons of Svanir for Norn, Inquest for Asura, Nightmare Court for Sylvari, Flame Legion for Charr, and White Mantle(Cadecaus) for humans.

Charr have developed amazing technologies.As have humans, both the Watchnights, where are arguably better then most golems, as well as the airships the Pact uses.

@Sajuuk Khar.1509 said:

@"Vayne.8563" said:250 years ago there were 3 human nations on continental tyria. Today there is one.Which is exactly how GW1 started. Orr sunk, Ascalon destroyed, and Kryta left standing.

That nation is beset by both internal conflict (Cadecaus etc) and external conflict, which are centaurs.Well, the centaur war was started by Cadecaus, so its an "external" conflict, that only exists due to the internal one. And every race has some sort of internal conflict going on. Sons of Svanir for Norn, Inquest for Asura, Nightmare Court for Sylvari, Flame Legion for Charr, and White Mantle(Cadecaus) for humans.

Charr have developed amazing technologies.As have humans, both the Watchnights, where are arguably better then most golems, as well as the airships the Pact uses.

But Watchknights are not widespread. I don't see them all over the world. I don't see them all over the human zones even. I saw them as a show of how cool are we and I've barely seen them since. I think there are a couple in Lake Doric.

I see Asuran waypoints, portals and golems all over the place.

Edit: Also airships were originally charr design and humans and asuran added some touches to make them better, but it's a charr thing initially.

Archived