Possibly dumb question about transmutation and renaming weapons

MoJoe.9063

I crafted the ascended greatsword Svaard's Claymore, then I put the Luminous Claymore skin on it so it's now named "Luminous Claymore". Just for shits I reapplied the original skin (Terracotta Antique Claymore) to it, but I notice that it gives it the skin name again. So is there any way to removed the "transmuted" status from this weapon or otherwise revert it to its original name Svaard's Claymore, or am I SOL?

@Valandor.9506 said:No, you can not; and nobody cares about from what you transmuted a skin nor does it matter in any way

You can, as @"Khisanth.2948" said. Or, rather, you can't, but you can instead use the current one and some oddments in the Mystic Forge to create a different one, then use the right different set of oddments to create the original one.

That is, you can use the Mystic Forge to replace the "damaged" one with a "clean one", but the clean one is a NEW item that's just like the original pre-damage one. For the OP's purposes, though, it is equivalent to being able to clean the item.

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:

@Valandor.9506 said:No, you can not; and nobody cares about from what you transmuted a skin nor does it matter in any way

You can, as @"Khisanth.2948" said. Or, rather, you can't, but you can instead use the current one and some oddments in the Mystic Forge to create a different one, then use the right different set of oddments to create the original one.

That is, you can use the Mystic Forge to replace the "damaged" one with a "clean one", but the clean one is a NEW item that's just like the original pre-damage one. For the OP's purposes, though, it is equivalent to being able to clean the item.

So you agree. Thanks. :P

@Valandor.9506 said:

So you agree. Thanks. :P

Sort of. :p The effect is the same as if you could "clean" the residue of transmutation off of the weapon, but you are, indeed, not actually cleaning it. So you're right from a game-mechanical point of view, but the effect is definitely achievable (the OP can do something with the weapon and end up with one with the original name). And it's surely cheaper to MF the weapon into the "clean" version than it is to create a new one.

Where I do agree, though, is that (almost) nobody cares whether your weapon's look is "native" to the weapon or a later addition. I care that my Guardian/DH's GS that looks like Caladbolg Orchida really is Caladbolg Orchida, but nobody else does. (It's the only weapon where I actually care about that.)

• ArenaNet Staff

@Oglaf.1074 said:

I care, and the OP cares so yeah...

Just to clarify, I believe that Valandor meant that no one would be
concerned
about the transmutation, and that they were not trying to imply social indifference or even judgment. In other words, I believe the statement would be that the methods described are fine, but the OP shouldn't be concerned about the item because its state (transmuted or not) would not be something that others would note or judge. (If I'm mistaken in this appraisal, I apologize, but we lost what I felt was interesting and harmless input on the subject, and in restoring I wanted to explain why we felt the removal should be reversed.)

Some people care a lot about the descriptive text of items. That is why Sam sold at such a high premium even before Treasure Hunter was a thing: no one but the owner could see it, but the owner still liked it that way.

It's a different question as to whether ANet should update the game's mechanics to support this sort of preference, especially since it's only a handful of people even notice it.

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:Some people care a lot about the descriptive text of items. That is why Sam sold at such a high premium even before Treasure Hunter was a thing: no one but the owner could see it, but the owner still liked it that way.

It's a different question as to whether ANet should update the game's mechanics to support this sort of preference, especially since it's only a handful of people even notice it.

Sam was only around 1/10th the value without Treasure Hunter ...

The actual code change to "fix" this should be approximately adding && (item.current_skin_id != item.default_skin_id) to the code block that determines whether it should render

"Transmutedname_of_skin"

or"Skin Unlockedname_of_skin"

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:Some people care a lot about the descriptive text of items. That is why Sam sold at such a high premium even before Treasure Hunter was a thing: no one but the owner could see it, but the owner still liked it that way.

Sam was only around 1/10th the value without Treasure Hunter ...My point is that Sam was sometimes triple the cost (or more) of getting a trinket with identical stats from any other source. People paid a premium just to have the name & description, even though no one else in the game would see it. And this was when gold was much harder to come by, so spending that much extra coin was a serious luxury.

The actual code change to "fix" this should be approximately adding && (item.current_skin_id != item.default_skin_id) to the code block that determines whether it should render

"Transmutedname_of_skin"

or"Skin Unlockedname_of_skin"

ANet could sell a "transmutation restoration charge" for 100 gems to do this ;)

@Khisanth.2948 said:You can ... but it will cost you a bit of gold.

You can convert it to a grieving gs(simply because it is cheapest) then back to marauder. That will destroy the upgrades unless you have an upgrade extractor.

This is good to know, thanks! The question is do I want it enough to spend the gold on it...

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:ANet could sell a "transmutation restoration charge" for 100 gems to do this ;)

They could also just make it free :anguished:

@MoJoe.9063 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:You can ... but it will cost you a bit of gold.

You can convert it to a grieving gs(simply because it is cheapest) then back to marauder. That will destroy the upgrades unless you have an upgrade extractor.

This is good to know, thanks! The question is do I want it enough to spend the gold on it...

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:ANet could sell a "transmutation restoration charge" for 100 gems to do this ;)

They could also just make it free :anguished:

I wouldn't but it would only cost 2g50s so it's not like a huge amount of gold.

haha I did this with a legendary backpack, because I wanted to have the stat swapping functionality on THAT character but the skin didn't fit it. But later down the track I wanted it back, rip now its a transmuted legendary with the legendary skin it was transmuted from.

Archived