Biology of Asura — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Biology of Asura

Tekoneiric.6817Tekoneiric.6817 Member ✭✭✭✭

As someone who has an interest in writing I'm curious about the biology of Asura. I haven't seen much lore on their biology. I assume they are mammals since they are very energetic pretty much all the time. Do they reproduce like most mammals or do they lay eggs or egg like pods.

It's obvious they don't feed their young like normal mammals; are they marsupials, do they regurgitate their food for their young or are their young able to consume food at birth. I can't recall ever seeing asura children running around. I think Taimi is one of the youngest ones I've seen aside from the ones at the training academy.

Being historically underground dwellers I assume their native food is grubs, moss and whatever food stuff grows underground. It's obvious from their hands that they are diggers by nature. Is there much information about the aura's biology?

Comments

  • Endless Soul.5178Endless Soul.5178 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2018

    I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me can post better information, but I recall somewhere that Anet stated that asura reproduce like humans. They do not lay eggs. The fact that they have a belly button seems to reinforce this.

    Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Bekka | Akee | Feyyt | Nuumy | Tylee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Sixx | Claara | Conii | Jymm | Synn | Zeena

    Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade but your soul is endless

  • Last Crysis.1934Last Crysis.1934 Member ✭✭✭

    I think they are turtles without shells, so i like to think they lay eggs. The are smarter than all the other races and them being cold blooded monsters might explain that.

  • Tekoneiric.6817Tekoneiric.6817 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Last Crysis.1934 said:
    I think they are turtles without shells, so i like to think they lay eggs. The are smarter than all the other races and them being cold blooded monsters might explain that.

    I'd think they are too energetic all the time to be reptiles. Reptiles spend much of their time waiting to do something so they can conserve energy. Plus they handle cold weather well enough.

  • TheOrlyFactor.8341TheOrlyFactor.8341 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Asura fanatic.
    World's largest Zojja fan.
    Illconceived Was Na fanboy.
    Boredom is a personal problem.
    Make Dragon's Watch great again (by booting Rytlock out of it).

  • Inculpatus cedo.9234Inculpatus cedo.9234 Member ✭✭✭✭

    You can learn more about the Asura here, including the fact that they are placental mammals: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Asura

    Good luck.

  • derd.6413derd.6413 Member ✭✭✭✭

    there's plenty asura children in the starting area (one of the earliest hearts in the area is helping out at a school). asuras do refer to their children as progeny (in the same way charr call theirs cub)

    I Have No friends, so I Must pug

  • Last Crysis.1934Last Crysis.1934 Member ✭✭✭

    @Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:
    You can learn more about the Asura here, including the fact that they are placental mammals: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Asura

    Good luck.

    Thanks you that did help. But i still think they look like turtles lol.

  • Tekoneiric.6817Tekoneiric.6817 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Endless Soul.5178 said:
    I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me can post better information, but I recall somewhere that Anet stated that asura reproduce like humans. They do not lay eggs. The fact that they have a belly button seems to reinforce this.

    I hadn't noticed that. I only have asura female characters and they hardly display their waist.

  • Endless Soul.5178Endless Soul.5178 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Tekoneiric.6817 said:

    @Endless Soul.5178 said:
    I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me can post better information, but I recall somewhere that Anet stated that asura reproduce like humans. They do not lay eggs. The fact that they have a belly button seems to reinforce this.

    I hadn't noticed that. I only have asura female characters and they hardly display their waist.

    If you have the Outlaw Outfit, have one of your characters wear it, you'll see a belly button. Or visit the Outlaw Outfit Wiki Page to see it.

    Asura characters: Zerina | Myndee | Bekka | Akee | Feyyt | Nuumy | Tylee | Rissa | Jaxxi | Sixx | Claara | Conii | Jymm | Synn | Zeena

    Your skin will wrinkle and your youth will fade but your soul is endless

  • Tekoneiric.6817Tekoneiric.6817 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Endless Soul.5178 said:

    If you have the Outlaw Outfit, have one of your characters wear it, you'll see a belly button. Or visit the Outlaw Outfit Wiki Page to see it.

    Ah, Ok. I think it would be interesting if they were marsupials.

  • Samnang.1879Samnang.1879 Member ✭✭✭✭

    regurtitate their food? they are smarter than humans why would they do that.
    anyway, asurans are ugly rodents.

    Anet: give us in-game customizable human NPC companion please
    Please, no more balance changes, or at least reset our gears so we don't have to waste gold changing gears every time.
    Please have option to not receive bloodstone dusts, empyreal fragments, dragonite etc

  • TheOrlyFactor.8341TheOrlyFactor.8341 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Samnang.1879 said:
    anyway, charr are ugly felines.

    FTFY

    Asura fanatic.
    World's largest Zojja fan.
    Illconceived Was Na fanboy.
    Boredom is a personal problem.
    Make Dragon's Watch great again (by booting Rytlock out of it).

  • Zedek.8932Zedek.8932 Member ✭✭✭
    edited April 18, 2018

    Excelsior.

    The size of the ears and forehead is basically what cleavage is for heterosexual Bookahs. The bigger the better and that might help to find partners for mating. I don't think that would matter if they would lay eggs because you don't have much interaction with the other gender, and the size of the female's ears and/or forehead does not matter for the eggs.

    Also, the lore and idea about the Asura changed during development as revealed in a 2011 interview, and their physiology did also change a lot with that course of development. It took them a while to be the master race like what we have right now.

    Excelsior, my name is Zedexx; Asuran Deadeye and assassin.
    The Hunter / 2x Darksteel Pistols / 2x Whisper's Secret Daggers and my Springer. That's all I need and trust.
    "We [Asura] are the concentrated magnificence!"

  • Konig Des Todes.2086Konig Des Todes.2086 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2018

    @Tekoneiric.6817 said:
    As someone who has an interest in writing I'm curious about the biology of Asura. I haven't seen much lore on their biology. I assume they are mammals since they are very energetic pretty much all the time. Do they reproduce like most mammals or do they lay eggs or egg like pods.

    It's obvious they don't feed their young like normal mammals; are they marsupials, do they regurgitate their food for their young or are their young able to consume food at birth. I can't recall ever seeing asura children running around. I think Taimi is one of the youngest ones I've seen aside from the ones at the training academy.

    Being historically underground dwellers I assume their native food is grubs, moss and whatever food stuff grows underground. It's obvious from their hands that they are diggers by nature. Is there much information about the aura's biology?

    They give live birth, and for food, they're omnivores and before surfacing they ate very tough mushrooms mainly (hence the sharp teeth) among other native animals.

    There are dozens of children in Soreen Draa and the Hinterlabs in Metrica Province, there's even a pre-college school with a number of events and a heart around it. There is even a tiny progeny which is smaller than any mini pet. Practically an ant tbh.

    A fun fact is that ear size as well as cranium size are treated as physically pleasing assets to other asura. Treated as a PG-friendly equivalent to large cleavage or being packed downstairs for men.

    All these squares make a circle.
    All these squares make a circle.
    All these squares make a circle.

  • Cragga the Eighty Third.6015Cragga the Eighty Third.6015 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 19, 2018

    @Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

    @Tekoneiric.6817 said:
    As someone who has an interest in writing I'm curious about the biology of Asura. I haven't seen much lore on their biology. I assume they are mammals since they are very energetic pretty much all the time. Do they reproduce like most mammals or do they lay eggs or egg like pods.

    It's obvious they don't feed their young like normal mammals; are they marsupials, do they regurgitate their food for their young or are their young able to consume food at birth. I can't recall ever seeing asura children running around. I think Taimi is one of the youngest ones I've seen aside from the ones at the training academy.

    Being historically underground dwellers I assume their native food is grubs, moss and whatever food stuff grows underground. It's obvious from their hands that they are diggers by nature. Is there much information about the aura's biology?

    They give live birth, and for food, they're omnivores and before surfacing they ate very tough mushrooms mainly (hence the sharp teeth) among other native animals.

    There are dozens of children in Soreen Draa and the Hinterlabs in Metrica Province, there's even a pre-college school with a number of events and a heart around it. There is even a tiny progeny which is smaller than any mini pet. Practically an ant tbh.

    A fun fact is that ear size as well as cranium size are treated as physically pleasing assets to other asura. Treated as a PG-friendly equivalent to large cleavage or being packed downstairs for men.

    There are also some interesting progeny in Mrot Boru in Brisbane Wildlands. I assume they have some kind of anti-gravity toys because they run around chasing each other and making unbelievable high jumps and falls.

  • Dante.1508Dante.1508 Member ✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2019

    If you follow the Asura stories they literally say they are Reptiles.

  • starlinvf.1358starlinvf.1358 Member ✭✭✭✭

    They feed progenys using COoking golems

  • kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

    You may have better luck posing this question in the Lore forum.

    I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

  • oookay,
    Asura: have teeth perfect for entomophagy (not so much mushrooms). Why the writers went with the mushroom road - no idea. Maybe they were scared by the yuck-factor. But it is a stupid road and here is why:

    Species living underground are usually small with a low metabolism. Because underground is a very nutrient and energy poor environment. Asura SHOULD have tiny brains - and their offspring actually do have tiny, tiny brains, which only grow later. Insects are pretty good sources for protein and energy (unlike mushrooms). So again, Asura mushroom eaters? Does not make sense. A brain is exctremely energy hungry, so a big brain makes no evolutionary sense in a species living underground eating mushrooms. Mushrooms are a diet which demands a lot of metabolic investment - which leads to the conumdrum that if you eat them and actually use the nutrients in them well, you don't have the energy left to think. Real world example: sloth's and koalas. Koalas' diet consists of toxic, hard to digest and very energy poor leafs. They adapted to the diet. Their metabolism is pretty slow AND their brains are tiny compared to their size, very simple in structure resulting inkoala's being pretty much the dumbest mammals around. Sloth's do not fare much better. Leaf eating, tiny brain, slow metabolism, dumb. It is a matter of debate which species is actually dumber. But whichever it is, it would be the dumbest of all mammals - there might be fish smarter than them.

    But back to Tyria:
    The skritt make a lot more sense as an undergroud species. Small brains, omnivorous scavengers. And there might also be where the evolutionary pressure for the asura came from. The skritt worked around the small brain problem with their hive-mind like intellect. Asura answered by growing their brains to compete. But again, there should not have been enough FOOD for them to evolve.

    And don't start with technology. You need the brain first.

    So, asura are mammals with a high metabolism and big brains that really really should not exist. Unless their brains run on magic. Without magic as deus-ex-machina saving the day, asura could not have evolved as mushroom eating cave dwellers. They might have had a stab as insectivores - but then you need a lot of insects to grow brains to those sizes.

    Argh.

  • anninke.7469anninke.7469 Member ✭✭✭

    @VAHNeunzehnsechundsiebzig.3618 said:
    ...
    So, asura are mammals with a high metabolism and big brains that really really should not exist. Unless their brains run on magic. Without magic as deus-ex-machina saving the day, asura could not have evolved as mushroom eating cave dwellers. They might have had a stab as insectivores - but then you need a lot of insects to grow brains to those sizes.

    Argh.

    Couldn't they have simply changed their diet at some point? Like eating mushrooms -> getting the teeth -> adding whatever meat source they might've come across -> brain development...

    Do not fear difficulty. Hard ground makes sore feet.
    Act with wisdom and axe.

  • Tekoneiric.6817Tekoneiric.6817 Member ✭✭✭✭

    One thing I've been wondering lately is since there are so many bald Asura; are they all bald and choose to wear wigs as a fashion statement?

  • Dawdler.8521Dawdler.8521 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 30, 2019

    @Tekoneiric.6817 said:
    One thing I've been wondering lately is since there are so many bald Asura; are they all bald and choose to wear wigs as a fashion statement?

    Imagine if you have ears roughly the size of your head.

    Now imagine if you have lush flowing hair constantly moving in and around those ears as you move your head.

    But no, they're not all bald. It just doesnt add anything particular to your technological prowess.

    And lets not even mention hair + mechanical cogs.

    Dont look a gift Asura in the mouth.
    No seriously, dont. Shark teeth.

  • Iozeph.5617Iozeph.5617 Member ✭✭✭

    @Tekoneiric.6817 said:
    As someone who has an interest in writing I'm curious about the biology of Asura. I haven't seen much lore on their biology. I assume they are mammals since they are very energetic pretty much all the time. Do they reproduce like most mammals or do they lay eggs or egg like pods.

    It's obvious they don't feed their young like normal mammals; are they marsupials, do they regurgitate their food for their young or are their young able to consume food at birth. I can't recall ever seeing asura children running around. I think Taimi is one of the youngest ones I've seen aside from the ones at the training academy.

    Being historically underground dwellers I assume their native food is grubs, moss and whatever food stuff grows underground. It's obvious from their hands that they are diggers by nature. Is there much information about the aura's biology?

    Yes. They're made of paperclips, rubber bands, fur, and insatiable curiosity.

  • Asura are 100% mammals, it was confirmed by game designer Eric Flannum (quoted here). Indisputably mammal. They have hair, bellybuttons, give live birth, and probably something that no one really considered a mammal thing but: external ear structures. Reptiles, amphibians and birds have at most bumps and pits and disks for auditory receivers. The auricle/pinna is a distinctly mammalian feature, though not all mammals have them (like cetaceans and most pinnipeds.)
    Yes the hair is real, even in GW1 they were pretty hairy and some even have facial hair. The portraits of the mentors you can pick for the personal story show some of them have beards! Though, the Rata Sum loading screen art does have a lot of baldies hanging out, I think the artist was more interested in getting the picture done than giving them individual hairdos. That gave me pause too until I noticed they also have eyelashes, and they don't strike me as particularly interested in wearing falsies!
    Honestly they do have more insectivorous looking teeth, but look at the size of insects in Tyria-- I don't think they have to eat THAT many bugs to keep up their energy. Even a regular sized mosquito is the size of a mouse!

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.