barrier starts decaying too fast?

ZeftheWicked.3076

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Belenwyn.8674 said:As long as Arenanet refuses to split the barrier mechanics between WvW and PvE it will stay like this. Longer grace times would be too op in WvW where 15 to 20 Scourges can pump out massive amounts of barriers.

I really don't get this. Barrier is capped at 50%. They should rather have the cap diminish instead of making Barrier decay so fast. What do I mean? Well instead of starting to decay after ~ 1sec they should lower the cap each time you have the Barrier cap, e.g. first time 50%, then for the next 5 seconds the cap is 33% and the last stage is 25% but with a much slower decay.

@Belenwyn.8674 said:As long as Arenanet refuses to split the barrier mechanics between WvW and PvE it will stay like this. Longer grace times would be too op in WvW where 15 to 20 Scourges can pump out massive amounts of barriers.

This is a good idea. I think a longer grace time (2-4 seconds) in fractals, raids, etc. would be greatly appreciated but if it was any longer than 2s in wvw, it would most definitely shift the meta and result in a lot of unhappy players.

Look, scourge is not actually a support spec - whatever dev originally planned that obviously got overruled.

This means our main purpose is damage. Barrier can therefore not be superb to begin with. Use it right before dangerous mechanics, and it actually DOES shine. It is even worth delaying F5 for that. F5+Heal = a TON of barrier.

@Zefiris.8297 said:Look, scourge is not actually a support spec - whatever dev originally planned that obviously got overruled.

This means our main purpose is damage. Barrier can therefore not be superb to begin with. Use it right before dangerous mechanics, and it actually DOES shine. It is even worth delaying F5 for that. F5+Heal = a TON of barrier.

Well, F5 Barrier is exclusive to you. I wish there would be a trait making it group wide.

@Justine.6351 said:

@Exqq.7451 said:Barrier should only decay when you're out of combat. In combat, no decay.

Because barrier-face-tank meta totally wouldn't happen?

I would expect the numbers to get adjusted. But just from a feeling of the skill, I do not think it should decay. Adjust how quickly you can stack barrier sure.

@Exqq.7451 said:

@Justine.6351 said:

@Exqq.7451 said:Barrier should only decay when you're out of combat. In combat, no decay.

Because barrier-face-tank meta totally wouldn't happen?

I would expect the numbers to get adjusted. But just from a feeling of the skill, I do not think it should decay. Adjust how quickly you can stack barrier sure.

So instead of catching a spike of 1-2 seconds you want a permanent weak health shield that will get vaporized by random cleave and aoe.

Yes, it decays too fast.

See the way it works is this: if you apply barrier, and then barrier again, it resets the decay timer.

The problem: You don't have enough skills that apply barrier, and those that do are mostly on too long a cooldown to allow you to repeatedly have stacks.

Also, why have barrier on your party if a druid can just out-heal the damage taken, and provide more meaningful contributions? Since you're already giving up DPS in favor of might/barrier support (which is a compromise something like cPS doesn't have to make).

@Doodledibob.2456 said:Yes, it decays too fast.

See the way it works is this: if you apply barrier, and then barrier again, it resets the decay timer.

The problem: You don't have enough skills that apply barrier, and those that do are mostly on too long a cooldown to allow you to repeatedly have stacks.

Also, why have barrier on your party if a druid can just out-heal the damage taken, and provide more meaningful contributions? Since you're already giving up DPS in favor of might/barrier support (which is a compromise something like cPS doesn't have to make).

Maybe because they didn't expect one class to rule them all?

Why is everyone all "we must have permanent barrier"?

It's fine as is. I was rocking a haphazard Mathias trial run using a mix of magi and minstels and harriers. You have to time it well and use sand savant to extend the duration and to use the f3 and heal for the initial bulky shield.

There unfortunately is a bug with sand savants targetting though... it isnt correctly hitti g the 10 man squqd unless you spread out.

It may be just me but while the decay happen faster it seem slower than in the beta.But overall, it make me wonder how aegis would be seen if it was lasting just one second before disappearing. What's fun is that barrier is designed to be a counter to conditions rather than a counter to power damage, yet the conditions are longlasting and the barrier is not.

Archived