How to properly improve core engineer

Josif.2015

Hello everyone.My name is Karras and I've been playing core engineer since 2013. The reason for this is because it's one of the most, if not the most complex profession in the game. The complexity is what kept me playing the profession and trying really hard to perfect it, making it a very fun and addicting profession. Unfortunately, with the release of Path of Fire ArenaNet made core engineer so lackluster and outmatched by the holosmith in almost every possible way. In no way am I saying that core engineer isn't viable in PvP, it's just that you have to play like a god especially if you are running multiple kits in your builds which are mandatory for the profession in order to be on par with everyone else.

The list contains changes that I think would make core engineer better, a list I've been thinking about for a while now. Keep in mind, this list is made specifically for core engineer. These changes may or may not benefit the scrapper or the holosmith, but its' intention is to fix some of the weaker aspects and unnecessary nerfs core engineer has received over the past few years.

Pistols

• Fragmentation Shot: reduce the cast time from 0.5 seconds to 0.25 seconds and increase the bleed damage.• Poison Dart Volley: reduce the cast time from 1.75 seconds to 0.75 seconds.• Static Shot: increase the stacks of confusion from 3 stacks to 5 stacks.• Blowtorch: reduce the cast time from 0.5 seconds to 0.25 seconds and increase the burning applications from 2/3/4 to 3/4/5.• Glue Shot: reduce the cooldown from 20 seconds to 15 seconds..

Shield

• Magnetic Shield: reduce the cooldown from 30 seconds to 25 seconds.• Static Shield: reduce the cooldown from 30 seconds to 25 seconds.

Rifle

• Hip Shot: reduce the cast time from 0.84 seconds to 0.75 seconds like it's stated in the tooltip.

Gadgets

• Some gadgets like Rocket Boots are obviously better than others when it comes to PvP, but for the most part they don't need to be buffed too much.

Elixirs

• Elixir H: make it cleanse 2 conditions like the Healing Turret.• Toss Elixir B: increase the stability duration from 4 seconds to 6 seconds.• Something that Vagrant mentioned about elixirs is having a "break" mechanic, where instead of you throwing the elixir on the ground, you just press a button, the elixir breaks and it's applied on to you and allies within a 240 radius. I think this is a wonderful idea and it should be implemented.

Turrets

• General changes: make every single turret have a 20 seconds cooldown and increase their health by double the amount they currently have.• Flame Turret: increase the damage by 80% and make it function similar to the flamethrower.• Throw Napalm: increase the radius from 180 to 240.• Rifle Turret: increase the damage by 30% and reduce the rate of fire from 2 seconds to 1 second, think of it as having a backup rifle engineer.• Rocket Turret: increase the damage by 10-20%.• Rocket: make it function similar to how the trait Aim-Assisted Rocket works.• Rumble: increase the stability duration from 1 second to 6 seconds and reduce the cooldown from 38 seconds to 25 seconds.

Kits

1. Bomb Kit

• Bomb: revert the damage before the 4% damage reduction.• Fire Bomb: increase the damage by 60% and increase the fire field duration from 3 seconds to 6 seconds.• Concussion Bomb: increase the damage by 20% and have it create a pulsing ethereal field. If Fire Bomb creates a fire field, why not have Concussion Bomb create an ethereal field?• Big Ol' Bomb: make it unblockable.

2. Elixir Gun

• Tranquilizer Dart: increase the bleeding damage by 80% and increase the weakness duration from 1 second to 2 seconds.• Fumigate: increase the damage by 50% and increase the poison duration from 2 seconds to 8 seconds.• Acid Bomb: replace it with Drop Gunk.• Super Elixir: increase the impact heal from 700 to 1000 and increase the pulse heal from 204 to 300.

3. Flamethrower

• Flame Jet: increase the damage by 20% and have it apply burning at the beginning of the auto attack instead of at the end to take advantage of the 10% damage boost on burning foes.• Flame Blast: increase the velocity by 20-30% and make it explode when it collides with a target.• Napalm: increase the damage by 40-50% and reduce the cooldown from 30 seconds to 20 seconds.• Smoke Vent: make it an ammo skill with 2 or 3 charges.

4. Grenade Kit

• General changes: increase the number of targets from 3 to 5 on Shrapnel Grenade, Flash Grenade and Poison Grenade.• Grenade: increase the damage from 117 to 250 and make it scale better with power damage than Shrapnel Grenade (Grenade 117 (0.33) vs Shrapnel Grenade 224 (0.63)).• Shrapnel Grenade: increase the stacks of bleeding inflicted by each grenade from 1 stack to 3 stacks.• Freeze Grenade: increase the chilled duration inflicted by each grenade from 2 seconds to 3 seconds.

5. Med Kit

• Bandage Self: reduce the cast time from 1 second to 0.75 seconds and reduce the cooldown from 17 seconds to 15 seconds.• Med Blaster: increase the healing by 100% and remove the extra healing allies receive based on the number of boons they have.• Bandage Blast: make it a ground targeted skill that drops 3 bandages that both allies and the engineer can pick up.• Cleansing Field: increase the radius from 300 to 480, similar to the Healing Turrets' water field.

6. Tool Kit

• Smack, Whack, Twhack: reduce the cast time from 0.5, 0.5, 1 to instant, 0.5, 0.5. Replace the cripple with confusion.• Box of Nails: reduce the cast time from 0.75 seconds to 0.25 seconds and increase the cripple duration from 2 seconds to 4 seconds.• Pry Bar: increase the confusion stacks from 6 to 10 and increase the confusion duration from 3 seconds to 5 seconds.• Gear Shield: bring back the old Gear Shield. It was an unnecessary nerf to the kit and I don't think bringing it back would be that big of a deal, considering there are professions that have far better blocking skills (warrior, guardian, scrapper etc.).

Elites

• Supply Crate: reduce the cooldown from 120 seconds to 80 seconds and replace Net Turret with Rifle Turret and Flame Turret with Thumper Turret.

Explosives traits

• Grenadier: make the throw velocity and explosion radius baseline, bring back the old Grenadier trait (throw an extra grenade and increased skill range to 1,500) and change it into the following: reduce the grenade skills cooldown and increase the range of the skills to 1,200.• Short Fuse: make the reduced fuse time baseline and change the trait into the following: reduce the bomb skills cooldown and increase the explosion radius from 240 to 300.• Shaped Charge: replace the 10% damage increase to foes with invulnerability with the 2013 version Explosive Powder trait which only increased the damage on explosives by 10%.• Orbital Command: increase the Mortar Kits' projectile velocity by 50%.• Shrapnel: remove the chance on hit to apply bleeding and cripple on hit.

Firearms traits

• Juggernaut: change it so that it grants you stability while you are wielding the Flamethrower, Grenade Kit or Bomb Kit.

Inventions traits

• Automated Medical Response: increase the health threshold from 25% to 50%.• Soothing Detonation: increase the healing by 50%.• Experimental Turrets: have turrets create reflective barriers as soon as they are built. The current version of this trait has like a 1 or 2 second delay which is a problem.

Alchemy traits

• Transmute: increase the number of conditions converted to boons from 2 to 4 and reduce the cooldown from 60 seconds to 40 seconds.• Backpack Regenerator: increase the healing from 117 to 250.• Compounding Chemicals: please bring back Alchemical Tinctures.• Iron Blooded: reduce the physical damage and condition damage by 10% while using the Elixir Gun and reduce Elixir Gun skills cooldown by 20%.

Tools traits

• Streamlined Kits: increase the superspeed you get from the Tool Kit from 2 seconds to 5 seconds and increase the Magnetic Aura duration you get from the Med Kit from 2 seconds to 3 seconds.• Lock On: reduce the cooldown from 25 seconds to 10 seconds.

Conclusion

I really want core engineer to be brought back from the retirement home. Every engineer nowadays is a holosmith with the occasional scrapper here and there. Not everyone will agree with these changes, but I really want these changes to be implemented so that they bring back what engineer had from the beginning, build variety. There's so much you can do with the engineer, yet in its' current state is very lackluster. I hope you enjoyed this list and I would like to hear your thoughts on these proposed changes.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks pretty good for the most part. I think some fine tuning would be necessary to prevent some inadvertent buffing that would happen to holosmith (IE the Transmute change you suggested), and I'd also throw in a segment about pistols in there, but the pistol issue is part of a larger issue surrounding condis in GW2.

• 3 months later...

I was on vacation the day the 10.07.2018 patch was released. I had a great time and now that I'm back nine days later and being very late, I'd like to share my thoughts on the changes that core engineer got this update:

• Poison Grenade

By far my favorite buff that core engineer got this update. It scales great with condition damage and the increased number of poison stacks increased the overall damage and it makes it a great skill to use on downed enemies, being able to deal good poison damage while reducing the healing they receive.

• Poison Dart Volley

Come on, ArenaNet. Just remove the stupid cone pattern from this skill. I've never been a fan of the pistols even when I first started playing engineer, but no amount of condition duration increase is going to improve the pistols.

• Concussion Bomb

I was expecting for this skill to create an ethereal field to stack conditions, but I guess this is a nice little buff.

• Thermal Vision

A nice buff to core engineer with pistol off-hand, flamethrower and bomb kit. Not sure if this benefits Holosmiths even though they have very little access to burning.

• Elixirs

Thank you ArenaNet for removing the RNG aspect from elixirs. Elixir H is somewhat viable now and you've given core engineer a reliable access to stability. The removal of the Wall of Reflection may be a bummer for some, but I really like the addition of an AoE stun breaker and quickness.

Overall, I would say that this balance patch had a lot of nerfs for certain professions while giving buffs for other professions. Not necessary without cause, but still more nerfs than buffs. I do think ArenaNet could've buffed core engineer a lot more and Cleansing Field still hasn't been fixed, but these changes are fine as they are.

• 2 months later...

The 02.10.2018 weapons and traits balance patch has finally been released and here are my thoughts on the engineer changes:

• Fragmentation Shot: Increased the duration of bleeding inflicted by this skill from 4 seconds to 5 seconds.
  • Poison Dart Volley: Increased the duration of poison inflicted by this skill from 6 seconds to 7 seconds.
  • Static Shot: Increased the duration of confusion inflicted by this skill from 4 seconds to 5 seconds.
  • Blowtorch: Increased the duration of burning inflicted by this skill from 5 seconds to 6 seconds.

While not great buffs, they are certainly welcomed buffs. Good buffs for PvE, not so sure about PvP.

• Chemical Rounds: Reduced the condition duration increase on pistol skills from 50% to 33%. This trait now grants +120 condition damage.

At first seeing the condition duration on pistols reduced was a bit worrying, but the additional condition damage increase is a nice addition to this trait, overall buffing condition engineer.

• Juggernaut: This trait now increases the duration of all might applied to you by 20%, in addition to its previous effects. Baseline might duration applied by this trait has been reduced from 15 seconds to 12 seconds.

Great change in my opinion. With professions that can apply might on allies reliably, it can certainly help condition engineer with multiple conditions rather than having the burning duration being increased from Incendiary Powder. It could be a trait worth choosing over Incendiary Powder.

• Over Shield: This trait now increases the effectiveness of protection on engineers by 20%, causing protection to reduce damage by 40% instead of 33%.

A buff to Holosmith with Hard Light Arena, allowing for tanky holosmith builds to be made. This buff also affects scrapper, capable of being even tankier when using Medic Gyro and Reconstruction Field. This gave me a build crafting idea that involves using the Thumper Turret with the Experimental Turrets trait and with the increased boon duration from Alchemy and Rune of the Water, it could make for a solid bunker build.

• Power Wrench: This trait no longer increases tool kit damage or turret repairs. This trait now reduces the recharge time of the engineer's elite skill by 3 seconds when they dodge, in addition to its previous 33% tool kit recharge reduction.

Don't get me wrong, the damage increase on Tool Kit was nothing special and nobody used the increased repair on turrets so it didn't bother me at all. This can help with reducing the cooldown on Supply Crate tremendously.

• Short Fuse: This trait now grants fury when engineers strike a foe with an explosion.

I was expecting a radius increase for bombs from 240 to 300, but I guess it's a nice buff for power bomb engineers?

In the end, I like these changes. Not nerfing core traits, but rather giving them better additions. I was expecting Grenadier to be buffed as well as Iron Blooded to be changed, but it's a smaller balance patch so, at least core engineer and Scrapper got something. The buffs that the pistols got and the new additions that the Firearms traits have are welcomed changes and have significantly increased condition engineer's damage.

@Tehologist.5841 said:I hope they don’t change iron blooded, core engineer has almost nothing for damage reduction. I wish it worked for all damage types, though with alchemy at least have the auto elixir c.

I forgot to mention Iron Blooded to be changed so that it isn't a general trait meaning that even the holosmith can use it and have a lot of sustain. Almost every single kit has a trait that improves it, like Grenadier for grenade kit, Short Fuse for bomb kit, Power Wrench for tool kit etc, but I only say almost. Mortar kit and elixir gun are pretty much the only kits that don't have kits that improve them, unless we count HGH in alchemy, but that barely improves it.

Core engineer needs more traits that improve kits. For example, instead of Iron Blooded giving physical and condition damage reduction based on the amount of boons, replace it with a damage reduction while using the elixir gun. The more traits there are that improve kits, the more limited holosmith is when it comes to build options and sustain.

Personally I'd love it if Elixirs didn't random-boom allies when thrown, rather than only when drinking. I don't know of any other skill in the game except maybe that one mesmer signet that gives randomzied boons like that. "Here, let me throw this potion at you and PRAY you get the buff you want!" when pretty much every other skill in the game is "Here, I use this on you and you get X, Y, and Z" Makes it extremely hard to play a support engie when you don't even know what boons you're going to provide your team with each toss of the bottle.

Other than that I like these ideas, though I think Bandage Blast should instead be a large cone that deals reduced healing the further away you are, almost like damage dropoff with a few different range bands with moderate healing as if you had gotten hit by 2-3 bandages in the middle, all of them up close, and one of them at the end, easier to be effective than the current one, can hit targets through others like pretty much every other AOE ability, and you wouldn't risk people being between bandages like you can now, while still making it as powerful as nailing all the bandages if you pop a target at point blank range. Plus the delay is frustrating. If you're trying to heal a target at close range, the delay on the firing means they can just walk to your side and you miss every bandage. It'd be fairly annoying to drop a bunch of bandages that you have to hope an ally picks up. That was the original problem with the first version of medkit. You had these tiny indicators no one would really notice, and you had to litter the battlefield with them and pray someone picked them up.

Also, with Elixir gun, I like Acid Bomb's leap. I use it for mobility as well as to trigger a lot of combo fields, so I hope that stays, but I wouldn't mind if the conditions of Gunk were added to it.

@"Icefyer.9208" said:Other than that I like these ideas, though I think Bandage Blast should instead be a large cone that deals reduced healing the further away you are, almost like damage dropoff with a few different range bands with moderate healing as if you had gotten hit by 2-3 bandages in the middle, all of them up close, and one of them at the end, easier to be effective than the current one, can hit targets through others like pretty much every other AOE ability, and you wouldn't risk people being between bandages like you can now, while still making it as powerful as nailing all the bandages if you pop a target at point blank range. Plus the delay is frustrating. If you're trying to heal a target at close range, the delay on the firing means they can just walk to your side and you miss every bandage. It'd be fairly annoying to drop a bunch of bandages that you have to hope an ally picks up. That was the original problem with the first version of medkit. You had these tiny indicators no one would really notice, and you had to litter the battlefield with them and pray someone picked them up.

I don't think healing being affected by range is a good idea, that would force engineers using the med kit to "hug" their patients in order to effectively heal them. Also, my suggestion on making Bandage Blast a ground targeted skill is that the engineer can pick them up as well. It would be better if the bandages had labels on them like the revenant's tablet and players can easily see them and it would give the engineer more sustain and condition cleanse than the healing turret.

Also, with Elixir gun, I like Acid Bomb's leap. I use it for mobility as well as to trigger a lot of combo fields, so I hope that stays, but I wouldn't mind if the conditions of Gunk were added to it.

I also love using Acid Bomb's leap, it synergizes well with the rifle's Jump Shot and gives you lots of mobility. I think it would be better it also drops gunk. This makes more sense as the elixir gun is a condition weapon, at least 3 out of the 5 skills.

Ah. True, but the indicator for the old bandages was barely as big as your foot and extremely easy in heated combat to just accidentally dodge-roll right past or 90% of the time not even notice. Very difficult to see when there's stuff going on, so what kind of label were you thinking? I don't know what kind of label the tablet has. Is it like that GW1 ankh symbol floating above it or? And only 3? Why not 5 "targets" like most other AoEs?

@"Icefyer.9208" said:Ah. True, but the indicator for the old bandages was barely as big as your foot and extremely easy in heated combat to just accidentally dodge-roll right past or 90% of the time not even notice. Very difficult to see when there's stuff going on, so what kind of label were you thinking? I don't know what kind of label the tablet has. Is it like that GW1 ankh symbol floating above it or? And only 3? Why not 5 "targets" like most other AoEs?

To be more specific, the bandages having labels, clear and visible to allies is something that resembles the revenant's Project Tranquility. That skill drops a tablet for both allies and the revenant and it has a yellow label on top of it or a yellow object name if you enable the Show All Usable Object Names option. The reason why I reduced the number of bandages from 5 to 3 is because the skill has an 8 seconds cooldown and being able to drop 5 bandages every 8 seconds, the holosmith could take advantage of them and be nearly unstoppable.

@Opopanax.1803 said:I do think core Engi needs a MH power weapon badly, or MH pistol needs to be made a hybrid condi/power weapon.

If you mean a main hand power weapon as in a melee weapon, the engineer already has the Tool Kit. It really needs both the auto attack and Box of Nails improved to make it even compete with other melee weapons. As for the pistol to be made a hybrid power/condition weapon, I don't see that ever happening. Some professions have weapons that are better in PvE while others are better in PvP. Pistols for PvE and rifle for PvP. Even before expansions were introduced, I always preferred the rifle over the pistols when it came to fighting other players.

@Tehologist.5841 said:Core Engi needs melee, has only ranged weapons. For the kits the only melee is bomb kit and toolkit.

Which is why I suggested for the Tool Kit auto attack to have it's cast time reduced by a lot and to apply confusion instead of cripple. It makes no sense that it applies cripple when there's already Box of Nails, a skill that applies cripple on foes. It applies cripple poorly, but at least it applies cripple. Making it a fast hitting weapon that applies huge stacks of confusion would improve the kit greatly, considering that only 3 out of the 5 skills are used while the other 2 are barely used.

@Tehologist.5841 said:Core Engi needs melee, has only ranged weapons. For the kits the only melee is bomb kit and toolkit.

Not true. Rifle works in melee better than on range. And there is also a Flamethrower kit for melee. And grenades work well in melee.In reality, Core Engi has zero pure long range options. Rifle is better on close range, Pistols are 900m range, and the only long range kit is Grenades, but they are also only 900m range.

Elite specs do not help at all, because both of the provide another option of melee weapon.

Core Engi needs a 1200 range option. And it is better to be a kit, not a weapon, so it be useful with Elite spec weapons. While majority of kits work well in melee it would be okay to rework one of them into a long range option. I've already suggested how it could be done:

@Bomboed.5697 said:Engineer kits are supposed to make the class more flexible and diverse, but in reality they limit Engi alot. Not because the whole idea of kits is bad, but because most of kits favor the same type of condi builds. Power Enhi is really lacking weapon options: Rifle is the only real ranged power weapon, but it is also semi-melee due to some skills, while BOTH elite specialization provide Engineer with melee power weapon. The problem is that without weapon swap Engi cannot use both Rifle and weapon from any Elite specialization.Addition of weapon swap would be the easy and lazy way to fix that problem, but it would work bad for core engi (pistols would not work well with rifle) and also would ruin the uniqueness of the profession.The best way to solve the problem is to give Engi a long range power-based kit. And the best candidate for a rework is a Bomb Kit.

Why Bomb Kit? There are a couple reasons.First of all, the whole idea of squating while running and putting explosive cakes beneath your feet is ridiculous. Bomb kit uses this awful animation for every single skills and majority of players hate it.Secondly, bomb kit works not very well in various builds. It fits badly power-based builds because the only reliable source of good raw damage this kit has is its main autoattack. However, Bomb kit is not the best option for condi-based build because other kits can perform far better, especially Grenades, that can be successfully used both at range and melee.And finally, Bomb kit is just another melee oriented kit. Tool kit and Flamethrower are good options of close range weapons, especially Flamethrower that can work well for power builds. Even Grenades can be very useful in melee range, leaving Bomb kit behind.

Because of these reasons I suggest to rework Bomb kit into 1200 range mostly power-oriented Rocket Launcher kit with some condi-options to save synergy with Explosives and Firearms specializations. The overall idea of Rocket launcher is a weapon that can deal AoE damage like Bomb Kit, but at long range like Mortar Kit, but unlike Mortar this new kit should not be heavily focused on ground-target skills to make it more reliable weapon of par with other long range weapons from other professions.

Here are some example of skills I suggest:

1 Skill main attack: MISSILE BARRAGE

Release three homing missiles that deal moderate damage and applies Vulnerability on impacted target and nearby enemies.

• 1 second channel time
  • 120 radius
  • 1200 range
  • Each rocket is a projectile finisher (20%)
  • Each rocket is Explosion
  • Three instances of damage provide better synergy with Shrapnel, Steel-packed Powder and Sharpshooter traits for condi builds
  • Missiles are slower that average projectile from other range weapons like Rifle or Longbow, but they have a homing effect to compensate.

2 Skill: WHIRLWIND ROCKET

Release a slow-moving rocket that travels forward and can be manually detonated to perform whirl-like explosion that deals heavy damage and applies Confusion.

• 3/4 sec cast time
  • 6 seconds CD
  • 240 radius
  • 1200 range
  • Detonation counts as single Explosion
  • Detonation is a Whirl finisher with 2 instances of damage
  • Rocket passes through enemies, Detonations happens only on manual use or automatically upon reaching max distance

3 Skill: ARTILLERY SALVO

Unleash an artillery salvo of rocket on target area, dealing extreme damage in total and leaving scorched ground that Burns enemies.

• 2 seconds cast time that cannot be perform while moving
  • 18 seconds CD
  • 240 radius
  • 1200 range
  • 4 seconds Salvo duration
  • 12 instances of damage (3 per second)
  • Every instance of damage counts as Explosion (3 instances per second just like Main attack)
  • Leaves Fire Field for 6 seconds that pulses burning 6 times

4 Skill: GLUE ROCKET

Fires a fast traveling rocket that explodes on target area coats surrounded it with puddle of glue that immobilizes foes on impact and then cripples foes remain withing

• 1/2 second cast time
  • 25 seconds CD
  • 1200 range
  • Other properties are same as Glue Bomb

5 Skill: BLAST RETREAT

Blast ground beneath, dealing heavy damage and leaving smoke field that blinds foes, and then leap at targeted area.

• Instant
  • 30 seconds CD
  • 1 second travel duration
  • 1200 range travel
  • Other properties are same as Smoke Bomb

Tool Belt Skill: Big OL` ROCKET

Launch rocket into the sky that will hit target area after 3 seconds, dealing massive damage and launching nearby foes.

• 1/2 second cast time
  • 25 seconds CD
  • 1200 range
  • Properties of Big Ol` Bomb
  • Target area is marked so enemies can see where Rocket will hit

Conclusion:

This kit will be a great addition to Engineer. Focusing on Vulnerability Stacking and heavy direct damage it will be a great addition for Power builds, while numerous instances of Explosions and some innate conditions will save it as a part of Explosives specialization condi build.But most importantly, this kit will open a long range weapon that can be used by both Elite specializations with no need of sacrificing Hammer or Sword in favor of Rifle.

@Bomboed.5697 said:Core Engi needs a 1200 range option. And it is better to be a kit, not a weapon, so it be useful with Elite spec weapons. While majority of kits work well in melee it would be okay to rework one of them into a long range option.

The old Grenadier trait allowed the engineer to throw 3 grenades (before ArenaNet made it baseline) and it increased the range to 1,500. By today's standard that may seem a little extreme, so instead just rework the Grenadier trait like the old one, only this time the throw velocity and explosion radius are made baseline, it reduces the cooldown on grenade skills by 20% and it increases the throw range from 900 to 1,200.

Also, replacing the bomb kit with a rocket launcher kit is a good idea, it really is. I just don't see that happening anytime soon, but I hope ArenaNet makes me eat my words.

I've read a lot of wierd ideas recently that don't compute with me but this seams like a good place to share just one of those ideas of my own....

Make turrets a kit....whoa whoa whoa stay with me.

I know sounds kitten but....

Turret kit replaces all weapon skills with turrets as they are now ( Rifle, net, flame, thumper and rocket. 1 to 5.)Healing turret still in healing slot as normal. Only they don't overcharge on deployment anymore. Instead the deployment skill is replaced with the overcharge skill once deployed.

When in turret kit, all toolbelt skills replaced with current turret toolbelt skills.

This means you can jump into the kit to deploy, overcharge or use a toolbelt skill, then you can still use 2 other utilities/kits.

The kit f# would be the detonate skill, detonating all deployed turrets. Sounds craps yeah? Make them all knock back or launch on detonation (not destruction).

Detonating healing turret into it's water field like that would provide multiple blast finisher heals too.

Too much? Too mental?

@Bomboed.5697 said:

Not true. Rifle works in melee better than on range. And there is also a Flamethrower kit for melee. And grenades work well in melee.In reality, Core Engi has zero pure long range options. Rifle is better on close range, Pistols are 900m range, and the only long range kit is Grenades, but they are also only 900m range.

Elite specs do not help at all, because both of the provide another option of melee weapon.

Core Engi needs a 1200 range option. And it is better to be a kit, not a weapon, so it be useful with Elite spec weapons. While majority of kits work well in melee it would be okay to rework one of them into a long range option. I've already suggested how it could be done:

Rifle does not count as melee as most of its attacks can be reflected or blocked by skills that work on projectiles. Long range we have elite mortar kit at 1500 range. There is not a single one handed melee option for core engineer, stuck with pistol if want to run a shield or offhand pistol. If someone is running a lot of range hate then we can't switch to offhand weapon or run a melee weapon to deal with it. I wasn't sure about flamethrower attacks if count as projectile or not.

@Tehologist.5841 said:

I wasn't sure about flamethrower attacks if count as projectile or not.

They don't. Although retaliation makes it feel like it's firing projectiles that can be reflected and it hurts a lot.

@Tehologist.5841 said:

Rifle does not count as melee as most of its attacks can be reflected or blocked by skills that work on projectiles. Long range we have elite mortar kit at 1500 range. There is not a single one handed melee option for core engineer, stuck with pistol if want to run a shield or offhand pistol. If someone is running a lot of range hate then we can't switch to offhand weapon or run a melee weapon to deal with it. I wasn't sure about flamethrower attacks if count as projectile or not.

This is exactly the problem!

I want to run shield; I shouldn't have to only pick Condi when everything else in my build is power. There are no melee weapons for engineer... That is a problem.

Archived