Forum Account Suspended

Hello, a friend of mine got his forum account suspended for 3 days. Checking every day he saw the remaining time of the suspension decreasing (3 days, 2 days, 1 day) as normal but, from the 3rd day (and subsequent ones) when the suspension should've expired, he started to get the following message:

"Forum Account SuspendedYou currently do not have access to your Guild Wars 2 Forum account because your game account was suspended. You will be able to participate in the forums once your game suspension has expired.You may inquire about the status of your game account by submitting a ticket through this web page."

Before opening a new ticket, he wanted to know if anyone could say something about it.His game account is not suspended, he can play whenever he want, so that message sounded a little strange. Is that and error or what?

@"RoseofGilead.8907" said:He'd need to just go ahead and submit a support ticket. It's definitely unusual for the forums to tell someone that they can't post because their game account is suspended because, as far as I know, even users with banned game accounts can use the forums.

That was my understanding, too. Maybe they changed the policy in reaction to recent... shall we say "events."

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"RoseofGilead.8907" said:He'd need to just go ahead and submit a support ticket. It's definitely unusual for the forums to tell someone that they can't post because their game account is suspended because, as far as I know, even users with banned game accounts can use the forums.

That was my understanding, too. Maybe they changed the policy in reaction to recent... shall we say "events."

Yeah but his game account wasn't banned, he can login with it. Only forum doesn't work.

@Susy.7529 said:

Yeah but his game account wasn't banned, he can login with it. Only forum doesn't work.

Oh I missed that. That sounds like a mistake on someone's part.They should contact the forum moderation team to find out what's going on:

Forums@Arena.Net

I'd phrase it as:

My game account is not suspended, but my forum account is, with the stated reason, "because your game account was suspended." This seems like an error. Can you grant me access again and explain why this might have happened? Thanks.And include any relevant screenshots, including one of them able to logon.

Good luck and please let us know what your friend discovers.

I'd advise contacting ANet by the normal routes, I would also say that, if when you say that the email said to sort out the issue 'by submitting a ticket through this web page', if it includes a link don't follow it and send a copy of the email to the support team. i may be paranoid but as the whole things seem odd, then it just sets my alarm bell ringing. Sorry if I'm pointing out the obvious, but it's better to be safe than sorry.

• ArenaNet Staff

This may or may not be a bug. Let me explain our policies, which relate to game accounts that truly are suspended (as opposed to those that are not, but for which forum access is blocked, as in the case the OP describes.)

Our intention is that anyone whose game account is suspended should also temporarily lose forum privileges. Certainly that was the case with the old forums, but I've recently learned of at least a few cases where game-suspended people continued to have forum privileges.

Now, if someone loses forum privileges, their game account is not impacted. IOW, it's a one way street:

• Game Account Suspension = Forum Account Suspension
  • Forum Account Suspension /= Game Account Suspension.
  • (If something on the forums inspires a review of game activity, that still does not mean there's a direct 1:1 correlation, and I think those cases are very rare.)

The reason that we remove forum privileges during a suspension is that we do not intend the forums to become a place to go to air one's grievances, or to be viewed as a "second court of appeal" for every time-out that someone may receive, or every support-related suspension with which someone might disagree. "I was suspended for say 'poo'" and I want you forum people to get my account reinstated" isn't making a valuable contribution to any member here, and having to filter through appeals of game actions amidst a lot of lively and valuable conversations is an utter waste of time for forum members (and forum staff, incidentally ;) ).

Lastly, posting on behalf of a suspended or banned member is expressly prohibited by the Forum Code of Conduct. Why? See the paragraph immediately above, for the same reasoning applies.

I hope this explains our intentions and I encourage the OP to work with Customer Support on the game suspension, as the forum suspension will end with the game suspension ends. There may be mitigating circumstances in your friend's case that we do not wish to discuss on the forums. Remember that forum-related questions can be addressed to Forums@Arena.Net. Thanks.

EDIT: Susy's friend did indeed reach out to us via e-mail, and in fact kindly updated to tell us that the erroneous messaging had disappeared, too. This was very helpful, and forms part of our investigation into the Case of the Wrong Message. ;)

Gaile, no. I mailed you about this multiple times. Your forum messages are for some reason bugged for <1 day suspensions and always say that game account is suspended (while it isn't).

If I get 3 day forum suspension and trying to log in - forum message says I'm suspended for 3 days, then 2 days. But when we reach 1 day and less time to lift suspension, forum message says that my whole game account is suspended (which is not at that time).

• ArenaNet Staff

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:Gaile, no. I mailed you about this multiple times. Your forum messages are for some reason bugged for <1 day suspensions and always say that game account is suspended (while it isn't).

If I get 3 day forum suspension and trying to log in - forum message says I'm suspended for 3 days, then 2 days. But when we reach 1 day and less time to lift suspension, forum message says that my whole game account is suspended (which is not at that time).

You did, and I thank you for that. I have cited your report from December, and I tracked the e-mail that Susy (OP) mentioned. The message is present in a narrow window -- just at or under 24 hours -- so it will be difficult of for us to identify someone who actively sees the message. However, I have suggested a means of testing for this, and having the details in this thread is very helpful. I already have written our web programmer and Vanilla to try to get this corrected.

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:Gaile, no. I mailed you about this multiple times. Your forum messages are for some reason bugged for <1 day suspensions and always say that game account is suspended (while it isn't).

You did, and I thank you for that. I have cited your report from December, and I tracked the e-mail that Susy (OP) mentioned. The message is present in a narrow window -- just at or under 24 hours -- so it will be difficult of for us to identify someone who actively sees the message. However, I have suggested a means of testing for this, and having the details in this thread is very helpful. I already have written our web programmer and Vanilla to try to get this corrected.

Awesome! Hope you will find the problem soon :)

@Gaile Gray.6029 said:

Yes this is what happens. Just happened to me, 1st and 2nd days you get the forum account suspension message, the 3rd day (last day) of the suspension it states that the game account has been suspended which it was not because I could play. I have experienced this twice . Is is bugged, but when you log on to the forums and see your game is suspended message creates a completely unnecessary moment of stress. It requires a fix. Btw the many many many forums have the option/ability to suspend posting privileges without restricting access.

Archived