Internet speed necessary for ranked PvP

OutOfOrder.3719

Obviously, faster internet gives a stronger competitive advantage.

I'm currently deciding between Comcast infinity with either 150 mpbs or 250 mpbs download speed.

However, AT&T offers a 50 mpbs and I'm wondering if this speed will be fast enough to be competitive platinum ranked PvP.

I have the 150 mpbs download speed plan, but did not notice a big difference when I upgraded to 250 mpbs. My ping to ANET averages between 90 and 100 based on F11 .

Also, How important is the upload speed for PvP in general?

Or is the download speed all that matters when it comes gaming online?

I'm currently on day 10 of a 30 day trial period and trying to decide what I actually need.

Paying for the 250 mpbs is what I'm planning and capable of paying for and I'm currently signed up with Comcast xfinity for.

Speed doesn't matter, ping does.

Go for cable/ fiber but most importantly:

1) Replace the isp modem with a nice but simple modem. Mine literally has only a single ethernet port. All it has to do is take the cable signal and send it to the ethernet port. The stuff Comcast gives is garbage.2) Use ethernet if possible.3) Minimize router distance if you can't use ethernet.4) Minimize processes using your network while you game (both pc and home).

Don't get caught up with the salesmanship. You want your internet to be simple and RELIABLE ABOVE ALL ELSE.

Forgive me for going shill mode, but this is the modem I use. I don't have a router to recommend because mine is currently nearing its end of life (it was good/still is, but isn't future proof anymore).modem - https://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-SURFboard-SB6183-Docsis-Packaging/dp/B00MA5U1FW/ref=pd_sbs_147_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00MA5U1FW&pd_rd_r=WQ7HTJQH4RS80T79EK7Z&pd_rd_w=gyC1E&pd_rd_wg=Mggmo&psc=1&refRID=WQ7HTJQH4RS80T79EK7Z

Your internet speed is almost irrelevant inside the game, your in-game speed mostly depends on server location I believe. Open the options and look at the bottom your latency aka ping if it's anything bellow 100ms (the less the better) you will be fine in PvP.

I play on a 30mb/s connection and it is fine, I get 40 ping on average which considering I live on a hill near some moors is pretty decent.

A reliable, stable and preferably low ping is far more important than the speed. Don’t shovel out more money for an increase in speed as it is likely to make no difference.

Oh wait this is America we are talking about....

Ping is the most important thing. Download and upload rates are almost irrelevant in these games.

You also want to make sure your connection is stable though, if you have a program that will track packet loss that will show some problems as well. Anything more than 3 or 4 percent is probably too much and indicates instability that will manifest in the form of little moments of everyone blinking around for a short time.

Getting a wired connection will always be superior to a wireless network in both regards, so try to go wired if you're serious about gaming.

Archived