Returning to Fractals and planning AR is a mess (solved, it's a bug)

EDIT: The following issues were apparently caused by a bug when using low level characters to access the FotM.

I have not restarted the Fractal climb since Anet changed the original scaling system. The wiki info also seems not to have been updated in a few years so I would like to check with people who are actively playing Fractals to make sure my info is valid.

Firstly, suggested AR numbers are all over the place, they don't scale uniformly and will rapidly increase or decrease from one fractal level to the next. Did Anet provide a reason for doing this, or is it a case of not attending to changes in placement as new fractals were introduced and things got shuffled around?

The wiki says that the highest "useful" AR is 150, apparently based on a previous distribution where scale 100 topped out at 150 suggested AR. But now some suggested ARs go as high as 163. Is it still true that 150 is the functional cap on AR? The wiki's own suggested AR chart shows linear scaling unlike the game jumping up and down. But again as far as I can tell it has not been updated in some time. So whose suggested ARs are more accurate?

There are 18 infusion slots in total (with backpacks and rings attuned and infused).16 infusion slots if you exclude the weapons.

I went with the latter, 10 +9 Agony Resist (armors & accessories) and 6 +10 Agony Resist . (rings). Slightly more costly, but allowing me to swap weapons in and out without effecting my AR.

Edit : 16 +9 Agony Resist infusions now since I'm over-capping 150 AR with Augmentations.

@"Leablo.2651" said:The wiki info also seems not to have been updated in a few yearsI can't see why you'd think that. There are recent edits and it's consistent with the actual values.What article are you viewing?

Firstly, suggested AR numbers are all over the place, they don't scale uniformly and will rapidly increase or decrease from one fractal level to the next.I'm looking athttps://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fractals_of_the_Mists#Fractal_levelsAnd the numbers aren't all over the place.

The wiki says that the highest "useful" AR is 150, apparently based on a previous distribution where scale 100 topped out at 150 suggested AR.No, the highest _required+ AR remains 150. However, it's easier and cheaper to go beyond that and there are some potions that offer benefits if your AR is higher (however they aren't cost-effective unless you are very rich and very experienced).

But now some suggested ARs go as high as 163.Where? On the whole, if you use two weapon sets, you'll need somewhat more than 150 total, since the second set also needs some. That's cheaper than getting to AR150 without the weapons.

The wiki's own suggested AR chart shows linear scaling unlike the game jumping up and down.Where are you seeing this? I'm looking at the AR shown in the game and it doesn't jump around; it goes up consistently, as documented on the wiki.

But again as far as I can tell it has not been updated in some time.It hasn't changed in some time; it remains up to date.

@"Leablo.2651" said:I was using a low level alt in LA to check the in-game numbers, apparently that messes up the suggested AR algorithm spectacularly.https://imgur.com/a/fPf0Loq

Well done tracking that down; I don't think anyone here or at ANet would have thought to swap to a lowbie toon. (Which partly explains how they missed it.)

Archived