Rifle needs a buff

Messor.9520

Rifle base attack maxes out pretty low, does anet have any plans to shoot it a 5-15% bonus to damage? Right now longbow does 1.5x the damage and it is condition based. Maybe bring back piercing shots, reduce its rate of fire by 1/4 of a second, or even give it an engineer-like shotgun #2 skill, or something? it simply doesnt compare to the entirety of the rest of the game's ranged weapons. It would be nice to use it and feel like i can do anything other than kill shot or gun flame burst.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The warriors' rifle skill 3 Volley pierces targets, the F1 skill Kill Shot pierces targets and both of those skills deal more damage than the engineers' rifle auto attack, the only skill that pierces targets. The only profession with access to the rifle weapon that needs a buff is the engineer, not the warrior.

Plus the warrior is meant to be a melee brawler, not a ranged profession like the engineer or ranger. You can still use the rifle if you want, as it deals a really good amount of damage, but in my opinion warriors benefit the most in melee combat.

@Hoodie.1045 said:The warriors' rifle skill 3 Volley pierces targets, the F1 skill Kill Shot pierces targets and both of those skills deal more damage than the engineers' rifle auto attack, the only skill that pierces targets. The only profession with access to the rifle weapon that needs a buff is the engineer, not the warrior.

Plus the warrior is meant to be a melee brawler, not a ranged profession like the engineer or ranger. You can still use the rifle if you want, as it deals a really good amount of damage, but in my opinion warriors benefit the most in melee combat.

just because the class is meant to be a melee brawler doesnt mean to simply make a weapon useless so nobody plays it...that is just plain stupid

i wouldnt even consider engi a pure ranged class anyways mire like midrange

id like to see a warrior rifle remake to fit the brawler more and make rifle in warrior hands a full shotgun midrange type weapon, with something around 450 range and manstopping power, like a special police unit using it for rather closed quarter shooting than a sniperthingy that simply gets outdone by thief in all ways

just because the class is meant to be a melee brawler doesnt mean to simply make a weapon useless so nobody plays it...that is just plain stupidI never said that the warriors' rifle is useless. I said that you can still use it if you want.

id like to see a warrior rifle remake to fit the brawler more and make rifle in warrior hands a full shotgun midrange type weaponThis is something that the engineers' rifle has always been, a mid-range shotgun type of weapon.

The warrior has the largest arsenal of weapons and most of them are melee focused. The warriors' rifle is intended to be used as a long-ranged single target weapon. It's meant to be used while keeping a safe distance from your target.

The reason why the engineers' rifle is more of a shotgun type of weapon is because the engineer, if we're talking core engineer has the smallest arsenal of weapons, those being pistols, rifle and shield, and the engineer can only have one weapon set. Due to the lack of weapon variety and not being able to weapon swap (excluding kits), ArenaNet designed the engineers' rifle that way, to have some close ranged skills.

Again, I'm not saying that you shouldn't use the rifle on warrior, it's just that once you get focused you then only have one weapon to use for melee encounters. The warriors' greatest strength comes from swapping weapons in combat. Only having a greatsword or axe/shield along with the rifle will kill the warriors' momentum and damage.

@Hoodie.1045 said:

just because the class is meant to be a melee brawler doesnt mean to simply make a weapon useless so nobody plays it...that is just plain stupidI never said that the warriors' rifle is useless. I said that you can still use it if you want.

id like to see a warrior rifle remake to fit the brawler more and make rifle in warrior hands a full shotgun midrange type weaponThis is something that the engineers' rifle has always been, a mid-range shotgun type of weapon.

The warrior has the largest arsenal of weapons and most of them are melee focused. The warriors' rifle is intended to be used as a long-ranged single target weapon. It's meant to be used while keeping a safe distance from your target.

The reason why the engineers' rifle is more of a shotgun type of weapon is because the engineer, if we're talking core engineer has the smallest arsenal of weapons, those being pistols, rifle and shield, and the engineer can only have one weapon set. Due to the lack of weapon variety and not being able to weapon swap (excluding kits), ArenaNet designed the engineers' rifle that way, to have some close ranged skills.

Again, I'm not saying that you shouldn't use the rifle on warrior, it's just that once you get focused you then only have one weapon to use for melee encounters. The warriors' greatest strength comes from swapping weapons in combat. Only having a greatsword or axe/shield along with the rifle will kill the warriors' momentum and damage.

dude, you just complained that engi needs a rework more than warrior rifle, which is no point whatsoever...no reason to not work on warri, ofc engi can use a rework too but thats not the topic here, and then you went on to say that rifle doesnt fit warrior theme really, so thats just another argument to rework it for warrior, because ideally all weapons should be equally viable (i know that is almost impossible) and i feel like engi rifle and warri rifle kits could easily be swapped to fit both classes way better

you just complained that engi needs a rework more than warrior rifle, which is no point whatsoeverI only mentioned that the engineers' rifle needs a buff, not a rework. Just a slight damage increase in the auto attack.

ideally all weapons should be equally viable (i know that is almost impossible)The warriors' rifle is still viable, it just offers a different playstyle. You can use the rifle if you want. I'm not trying to stop you from using it.

Rifle is in the same kind of awkward spot that Sword is: it is a hybrid Power/Condi weapon which inevitably makes it suck because a dedicated Power or Condi weapon is way better. It is just the nature of the current state of the game that for most classes, dedicated builds beat hybrid builds.

Sword at least has got some utility going for it, Rifle not so much. I think Anet ought to rework Rifle as a purely Power-based alternative/counterpart to the Condi-based Longbow.

Wait, Rifle is pure power and only gains a condition aspect when used on Berserker. It's like MH Mace where it transforms when in Zerk Mode. Warrior rifle only has Vuln, Cripple, and Immob otherwise.

Unless you're talking about engi rifle, which is mostly power (blunderbuss is just there for the power damage modifier in Firearms).

Yea but warrior rifle still isn't at the damage it used to be at when the AA did bleeding. The rifle definitely needs a rework.

@Hoodie.1045 said:The only profession with access to the rifle weapon that needs a buff is the engineer, not the warrior.

While it may be true that Engineer needs a rework on it's rifle, the warrior one is also in horrible shape. Maybe both professions need a rework on it, also when it's in such poor shape that the majority of warriors say it sucks there's probably something wrong. :wink:

Maybe both professions need a rework on it, also when it's in such poor shape that the majority of warriors say it sucks there's probably something wrong.I've made a list about core engineer and how to properly improve the profession. In the rifle section I proposed the auto attack to have its' damage increased and rifle skill 4 Overcharged Shot to function similar to the warriors' rifle skill 4 Brutal Shot. Basically, making the skill give you a dodge rather than a self CC.

When it comes to the warrior, I can agree that the rifle could use at least 2 close ranged skills, rather than just skill 5 Rifle Butt. I suggest Aimed Shot to work more like the engineers' rifle skill 3 Blunderbuss. The closer the target is, the more damage you deal.

@"Hoodie.1045" said:

Maybe both professions need a rework on it, also when it's in such poor shape that the majority of warriors say it sucks there's probably something wrong.I've made a
about core engineer and how to properly improve the profession. In the rifle section I proposed the auto attack to have its' damage increased and rifle skill 4 Overcharged Shot to function similar to the warriors' rifle skill 4 Brutal Shot. Basically, making the skill give you a dodge rather than a self CC.

When it comes to the warrior, I can agree that the rifle could use at least 2 close ranged skills, rather than just skill 5 Rifle Butt. I suggest Aimed Shot to work more like the engineers' rifle skill 3 Blunderbuss. The closer the target is, the more damage you deal.

I've done a post too. If you wanna compare AA on rifles warrior needs help more:

Engineer

• RifleHip ShotDamage: 274(0.65)Range: 1,200

Warrior

• RifleFierce ShotDamage: 255 (0.605)Range: 1,200

But yes I will say of all the profession's ranged skills the engi and warrior are probably the worst.

I will say of all the profession's ranged skills the engi and warrior are probably the worst.It's especially worse for core engineer because core engineer only has pistols which nobody uses those, so that only leaves the rifle for core power engineer. It's also awful when fighting scourges or mesmers, because the auto attacks' damage is so weak that you need a teammate to help you fight those professions.

• 2 weeks later...

@RedShark.9548 said:

@Hoodie.1045 said:The warriors' rifle skill 3 Volley pierces targets, the F1 skill Kill Shot pierces targets and both of those skills deal more damage than the engineers' rifle auto attack, the only skill that pierces targets. The only profession with access to the rifle weapon that needs a buff is the engineer, not the warrior.

just because the class is meant to be a melee brawler doesnt mean to simply make a weapon useless so nobody plays it...that is just plain stupid

Actually that IS what that means. Why would Anet buff a ranged weapon if the intention of the class is to be melee brawler?

@Obtena.7952 said:

Actually that IS what that means. Why would Anet buff a ranged weapon if the intention of the class is to be melee brawler?

Because there are fights where being mele is only going to get you killed, and if your range damage sucks you'll die anyways.

I always felt that the Engi and the Warrior should trade some of their rifle abilities. Don't get me wrong as an Engi I love the burstiness of the Engi's Rifle skills, but I always felt that it would better fit a warrior to have a skill like Blunderbuss and Overcharged shot (since closer range and shotgun type abilities fit the warrior better) and that the Engi would use more precise shots like Aimed Shot, Volley, and/or Brutal Shot.

@DanyoSouth.1507 said:I always felt that the Engi and the Warrior should trade some of their rifle abilities. Don't get me wrong as an Engi I love the burstiness of the Engi's Rifle skills, but I always felt that it would better fit a warrior to have a skill like Blunderbuss and Overcharged shot (since closer range and shotgun type abilities fit the warrior better) and that the Engi would use more precise shots like Aimed Shot, Volley, and/or Brutal Shot.

It would be better if they gave the engineer an identical version of Brutal Shot. Instead of a self CC, you can knockback a foe while dodging at the same time.

@Hoodie.1045 said:It would be better if they gave the engineer an identical version of Brutal Shot. Instead of a self CC, you can knockback a foe while dodging at the same time.

I feel that would be too powerful (the ability hits pretty hard) and remove the drawback and flavor of the skill. There's so much Stability/Stun break available as a that Overcharge Shot's knockback can already be negated, but with the limited action bar we have in the game sometimes its hard to slot some in, especially when you need to be BIS in some cases.

@Red Haired Savage.5430 said:

Because there are fights where being mele is only going to get you killed, and if your range damage sucks you'll die anyways.

Hold on ... sounds to me like if you have fights like that, you have solutions to them that don't require Anet to buff Rifle. This seems more like a L2P issue. What exactly are these fights you refer to, because I haven't encountered many places like that at all. Rifle, while it's not the best DPS weapons (nor should it be) can be used with as good effect as any other weapon in the correct situation; anyone selling rifle as the weapon you use to 'die in ranged situations anyways' is just being ridiculous. If you're only strategy to stay alive is to hit the big damage button, you die anyways, regardless of the weapons you using. HoT and PoF already prove that.

@Hoodie.1045 said:

@Obtena.7952 said:Actually that IS what that means. Why would Anet buff a ranged weapon if the intention of the class is to be melee brawler?

I never said that the warrior is meant to be a melee brawler, I just said that it benefits the most in melee combat rather than ranged combat.

No, that's not what you said at all. You said that just because Warrior is a melee brawler, it doesn't mean to simply make a weapon useless so nobody plays it. That sounds like lots of sensational rhetoric to me. If people don't play it, maybe it's because they don't need to. Maybe Warrior has all the tools it needs EVEN in melee to survive encounters where ranged is preferred? You see, my big problem with this thread is that you identified already why Rifle isn't some amazing weapon on the warrior to begin with; it's concept is highly melee focused and it DOES have all the tools it needs to handle situations as a melee class ... EVEN ranged ones with 'weapons that no one uses'.

Rifle still feels very 2012. Possibly one of the worst autos in the game. It feels more like a Bundle you pick up in Open World rather than a weapon. Yes, please rework it.

Problem is: what should its role be? Besides a ranged option for Warrior, which Longbow already does too. The solution is not simply to swap one set of numbers for another.

I really like Kill Shot, and I think it should be key to balancing this kit.

Archived