Playing Living World with another

Hi guys,

My partner and I have just got back into playing GW2 and are enjoying playing together and working our way up. However the price tags for LW2, LW3 etc. are a bit of a turn off. Don't get me wrong, we will probably fork out for the expansions but that plus the LW prices just add up a bit.My question is if one of us bought LW2 I understand the other can play along in a party. However do they still get rewards for completion? Or to get rewards do they need to purchase it as well?

Thanks in advance

Others can join a story instance and help you. If they are on the same story step, they get a message if they want to accept reward. This has been this way since launch. So if your partner is not on the same story step (e.g. Cause they do not have the story) they do not get any progression or reward. But they do get to experience the story for free.

Further, starting living world season 3, the story comes with new maps. Often you need to be on the map to participate in the story together,

If you are interested in the red mastery points to complete them all, the both of you could buy the first chapters of LW2: you'd get 1 point for completing the chapter + 1 point for completing all the related achievements (and they are easier in the starting chapters - I found the 7th the most difficult, the 8th just grinding).If you have HoT, you shouldn't have problems in completing your mastery tracks even without LW3, so you could just buy 1-2 chapters for the most important maps, in case you want to farm some ascended trinket.

If for rewards you meant the free ascended trinket that you get for completing all the achievements... they have weird stats. And in any case, you can't choose them, so better to farm your trinket with your selectable stats. Not a big loss.

When you farm enough gold/buy gems, you can still purchase the LW pack (the price will be reduced by 200 gems for every chapter that you already bought). You'd lose the 20% of discount on the single chapter you decide to buy (so 40 gems per chapter). But if you are currently short on money, this could be a way to not wait too much.

In LW2 if only one buys the story then the other one can join the instance and play. But the person without the story will not get any rewards, achievements, progression etc.

With LW3 and 4 though it is not the same. As the maps with the stories are not unlocked unless you buy the season and thus you cannot enter them. so if you want to play together you both need to have it unlocked.

Also do not forget that you can buy the LW with gems thus also in-game gold. So you can farm some gold to make the price a bit less steeper.

Archived