Why do people take Guild reps so seriously

I've only been playing for a month. I noticed people take rep's very seriously. One Guild mentioned how how'd he put people who had Guild Reps in highest priority when they needed help. I have five guilds. I'm supposed pick who to rep and like jealous girlfriends. I noticed some of them will become a little frustrated when I don't rep them. I am a very friendly person. I can only rep one at a time. I'm considering not repping anyone just to give the appearance that I'm neutral.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I rep my big guild when i do stuff out in the world/fractals/dungeons.If i had a wvw guild i would rep that when i wvw.I rep my static when we do raids together monday and wensday.Dont see why you would join 5 guilds when all you need is 1 for each of the 3 activitys mate.

Sadly, some guilds do become a cliquish affair. I have my suspicions as to why, but voicing it would tailspin this thread. Regardless, yes, it may be best to remain neutral, but I promise you someone is going to take offense to it eventually. Honestly? It's part of the reason I remain guildless.

Eventually, and this is only from my experience, but all guilds turn into a popularity contest . . . and I'm not interested in playing that game. I'm more interested in playing Guild Wars 2. :)

Best of luck.

@"Linken.6345" said:I rep my big guild when i do stuff out in the world/fractals/dungeons.If i had a wvw guild i would rep that when i wvw.I rep my static when we do raids together monday and wensday.Dont see why you would join 5 guilds when all you need is 1 for each of the 3 activitys mate.

I do it because there are five options to join guilds. I figure why not just max this out and have more people to talk too. I didn't think they could see who I'm repping. I noticed one day someone said "who is no one repping our guild" then later someone me a comment to me about why I'm not repping their guild. It's not a subtle slow way of asking. It's very direct. I don't see the big deal. I can see chat with all the people, why would it matter who I'm repping, do they get EXPerience or XP. I will help guilds without asking. It's making me think about joining five guilds at once.

@Linken.6345 said:Dont see why you would join 5 guilds when all you need is 1 for each of the 3 activitys mate.

Don't see why you wouldn't see that people join guilds for all sorts of reasons:

• Guild with friends from GW1
  • Guild with friends from first days of GW2
  • WvW raiding guild
  • WvW roaming guild
  • Fractal static guild
  • Main guild
  • Raid training guild
  • Raid static guild
  • Power trading guild
  • Newbies welcome guild
  • Guild to receive account bound stuff they need for improving GH.
  • Storage guild(s) (admittedly, I don't think ANet needs to support this, as it was probably a never-intended-use)
  • Raid-selling guild
  • Dungeon clearing static
  • Fractal CM training
  • RP guild

(added: it occurs to me that some serious RPers might want different RP guilds for different characters, e.g. asura krewe, human militia, charr warband, and one for um... best not to mention it)

Obviously, most people aren't interested in more than 2-3 of the above and some only ever need one. But there are lots of people who would be very happy with an option to buy more guild slots.

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:

@"Linken.6345" said:I rep my big guild when i do stuff out in the world/fractals/dungeons.If i had a wvw guild i would rep that when i wvw.I rep my static when we do raids together monday and wensday.Dont see why you would join 5 guilds when all you need is 1 for each of the 3 activitys mate.

I do it because there are five options to join guilds. I figure why not just max this out and have more people to talk too. I didn't think they could see who I'm repping. I noticed one day someone said "who is no one repping our guild" then later someone me a comment to me about why I'm not repping their guild. It's not a subtle slow way of asking. It's very direct. I don't see the big deal. I can see chat with all the people, why would it matter who I'm repping, do they get EXPerience or XP. I will help guilds without asking. It's making me think about joining five guilds at once.

They did before, but with the change and that you can talk to all the guild make it abit pointless to rep a specific guild tbh.But people can feel like a guild is dead if noone is reping.

There is no mechanical reason/benefit for the guild to have you rep them constantly.

There used to be in the previous guild system, which was when "Rep requirement" was a thing. That was part of the reason ANet changed to the current one.

Some people might still have that way of thinking, or alternatively some people might prefer to stick to one guild (and thus also hope or expect others to feel the same). That is up to them, but if a guild-leader starts feeling that, it might force people to either rep or leave (extreme case).

There are plenty of guilds that doesn't care about Reping at all. If this become a problem, you might want to search out some of those instead. Alternatively try to find one large guild that does everything and always have people talking.

Honestly, some people just take the game too serious, not everyone is as strict on this as others. If you don't like it, tell them, you might have to leave a guild or two, but most will accept it. Personally don't see the point in joining that many guilds that fast (I'm in 4, 2 of which are just friends guilds with a couple of people in them). Most people tend to pick 1-2 general guilds for the everyday stuff, and fill out the others over time with more "specialized" guilds, like one for wvw, pvp, fractals, raids, roleplay, etc.

@Ardenwolfe.8590 said:Sadly, some guilds do become a cliquish affair. I have my suspicions as to why, but voicing it would tailspin this thread. Regardless, yes, it may be best to remain neutral, but I promise you someone is going to take offense to it eventually. Honestly? It's part of the reason I remain guildless.

Eventually, and this is only from my experience, but all guilds turn into a popularity contest . . . and I'm not interested in playing that game. I'm more interested in playing Guild Wars 2. :)

Best of luck.

WELL PLAYED SIR, BRAVO,BRAVO, BULLY, JUST BULLY SIR!

This is a question of culture or should I say, the amount of importance placed on guild community. I will copy and paste what I wrote earlier.

If I were to put it into logic and science. I would use Dunbar's number and define community.

Community, in general speaking, is a group of people having thus working towards a common goal or values or beliefs, and helping each other along the way. Dunbar's number is a theory on the cognitive limit on numbers of people regards to stable social relationships.

In the old days of mmorpg, many, if not all guilds are multifaceted. Some may be a bit more pvp or pve oriented but nevertheless, multifaceted (pvx) by default. Most of the old mmorpgs guilds have very low capacity, capping slightly more than 100. This, according to Dunbar's number, is the minimum max amount of people that you can form a stable social relationships with; we have to consider real life relationships as well. With that say, you can see that the old mmorpgs emphasis strongly on guild community and bonds.

Now, moving on to the multi guilds culture. The boundary of multifaceted become blurred. Multifaceted players will join a single purpose guild even if the common interest is different by default, the multifaceted players' interests is not the same as single interest players. It may overlap but definitely not the same. Still, you might think it isn't a issue because the multifaceted players still can do the same thing as the single interest players. However, that will eventually put the community to test because of the Dunbar's number. Multifaceted players will join multiple guilds, not just one. You can even say he is in multiple communities. This means that multifaceted players cannot, by theory, manage to maintain stable social relationships for all the communities he is part of. Not only that, the communities he is part of may have conflicts in activities thus he will choose to forgo one to join the other activities at that point or many points of time. After those, can he really be considered as member of the community by definition and Dunbar's number?

The same applies for single purpose players joining multifaceted guild or multiple single purpose guilds, and multifaceted players joining multifaceted guilds for a single purpose.

Most people on current days treat guilds as guild for benefits, not really for the bonds or community. In ts case, obviously you are there for benefits but the guilds on other hand, want a community of bonds. You are in the wrong guild, the guild too accepted you wrongly.

SourceWhat is community? - http://appalachianmagazine.org/podcasts/dave/id/449Dunbar's Number - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunbar%27s_number

I hope they do more care about representing. I am strongly against this cherry picking. Stick to your guild and not just hop around and leech off of who has the best to offer for you in your current situations (bosses, raids, guild halls, buffs,...)

The GW2 guild system is awful and often feels like a dead friendlist: So many names, no-one is talking. Like ghost players, why would you want to have all these names in your guild when they are not even there? Two guilds would be fine, but FIVE?

@Zedek.8932 said:I hope they do more care about representing. I am strongly against this cherry picking. Stick to your guild and not just hop around and leech off of who has the best to offer for you in your current situations (bosses, raids, guild halls, buffs,...)

The GW2 guild system is awful and often feels like a dead friendlist: So many names, no-one is talking. Like ghost players, why would you want to have all these names in your guild when they are not even there? Two guilds would be fine, but FIVE?

I've explained above why some of us want more than five. I'm glad that having just two works great for you.

There is a social reason to ask members to commit to their guild. The act of commitment to a social unit is part of the bonding of the individual to that social unit. While I cannot speak for all guilds who demand rep, I don't doubt that at least some of them are trying to build that type of community and don't want people in it that are not committed to their guild. If that's the case, and it does not match what a given individual wants, that person and that guild don't have shared aims, and are not a good fit.

@IndigoSundown.5419 said:There is a social reason to ask members to commit to their guild. The act of commitment to a social unit is part of the bonding of the individual to that social unit. While I cannot speak for all guilds who demand rep, I don't doubt that at least some of them are trying to build that type of community and don't want people in it that are not committed to their guild. If that's the case, and it does not match what a given individual wants, that person and that guild don't have shared aims, and are not a good fit

I am willing to comment but I think that means different things to different people. I talk and laugh and am casual and interactive. I just ranked up in one guild. I don't know what that means exactly. I can't engage all the time in all 5 guilds. I can but it would be a lot of work.

Its fairly simple, if you do not want to fly the guild's flag (display its tag) then it is not a priority for you at that time. If the guild is not your priority then it seems reasonable that you would be less of a priority, compared to others who are repping, for the guild.

Asking that a group you are choosing to make a secondary, at best, priority treat you as a primary priority is a bit off IMO.

@Ashen.2907 said:Its fairly simple, if you do not want to fly the guild's flag (display its tag) then it is not a priority for you at that time. If the guild is not your priority then it seems reasonable that you would be less of a priority, compared to others who are repping, for the guild.

Asking that a group you are choosing to make a secondary, at best, priority treat you as a primary priority is a bit off IMO.

This is highly contingent upon why I joined them.

If they are a WvW guild, then if I am doing Super Adventure Box, there really is no good reason to fly their banner, on the same token, if I was in WvW and not repping, it would make sense they are not happy with that, in fact I would fully understand them throwing me out of the guild for that. But if I rep them when I am in WvW, then yes.. I should be respected and treated as priority committed member of their guild.

Equally so, if I join a Raid guild, there is no reason for me rep them while I am in WvW or doing SAB, for example. However, if when I raid, form a raid, or train for a raid, I rep them, then I should be respected as a viable committed and priority member of that guild.

Now, If a guild claims to be PvX, and thinks they can be everything to everyone, and their members are off joining WvW or Raid, or sPvP guilds, that should clue them in lessen their scope, and focus on something they can provide, and thus be more then just glorified chat channel with a tag and hall attached to it.

Just saying.

@STIHL.2489 said:

@Ashen.2907 said:Its fairly simple, if you do not want to fly the guild's flag (display its tag) then it is not a priority for you at that time. If the guild is not your priority then it seems reasonable that you would be less of a priority, compared to others who are repping, for the guild.

If they are a WvW guild, then if I am doing Super Adventure Box, there really is no good reason to fly their banner, on the same token, if I was in WvW and not repping, it would make sense they are not happy with that, in fact I would fully understand them throwing me out of the guild for that. But if I rep them when I am in WvW, then yes.. I should be respected and treated as priority committed member of their guild.

Equally so, if I join a Raid guild, there is no reason for me rep them while I am in WvW or doing SAB, for example. However, if when I raid, form a raid, or train for a raid, I rep them, then I should be respected as a viable committed and priority member of that guild.

Now, If a guild claims to be PvX, and thinks they can be everything to everyone, and their members are off joining WvW or Raid, or sPvP guilds, that should clue them in lessen their scope, and focus on something they can provide, and thus be more then just glorified chat channel with a tag and hall attached to it.

Just saying.

Cant disagree.

However, the OP expressed concern that when he is not repping a guild, and wants help, the guild gives priority to those repping.

If a player wa ts help from a guild, repping at the time of the desired assistance seems like a reasonable expectation.

@Icemanfrost.5428 said:

@IndigoSundown.5419 said:There is a social reason to ask members to commit to
their
guild. The act of commitment to a social unit is part of the bonding of the individual to that social unit. While I cannot speak for all guilds who demand rep, I don't doubt that at least some of them are trying to build that type of community and don't want people in it that are not committed to their guild. If that's the case, and it does not match what a given individual wants, that person and that guild don't have shared aims, and are not a good fit

I am willing to comment but I think that means different things to different people. I talk and laugh and am casual and interactive. I just ranked up in one guild. I don't know what that means exactly. I can't engage all the time in all 5 guilds. I can but it would be a lot of work.

Commitment to one group means whatever time you spend in game you can potentially interact and build friendships with those people. Say you split your attention equally among five guilds. That means that each guild is getting only 20% of your game time even if you are interacting all the time you are in game.

Some guilds in GW2 have been together going back a long time, to other games. They may be willing to take on new people, but it's possible a culture of commitment already existed for those people before they even came to GW2. They may not be happy with the drop in/drop out style GW2's multi-guild system is designed for, so they try to create the one-guild experience they are used to.

There's nothing wrong with either approach. It's just that people who want casual guild hopping may not fit in with those who want more from their members. It may be better to move on if their rep requirements irk you.

@Ashen.2907 said:

Just saying.

Cant disagree.

However, the OP expressed concern that when he is not repping a guild, and wants help, the guild gives priority to those repping.

If a player wa ts help from a guild, repping at the time of the desired assistance seems like a reasonable expectation.

That makes sense. I mean, if I wanted help with SAB, I'd ask the guild I was repping first.. if they didn't help.. I'd rep another guild and ask them ;)

Archived