Cooking food too complex to make?

Ive been thinking that cooking foods could use a streamlining. I feel like you have to jump through way, way too many hoops to create a highend dish by having to create oodles of lesser food first to combine together. Not exactly something that encourages casual use like sharpening stones, oils or focusing crystals.

Now, I know the above is just a side consumable from another proffession. But I believe cooking could be optimized if you didnt have to make so many different dishes before you could actually craft the one you -WANT!- Instead, how about working up tiers of ingredients instead, till you have what you need to put together a final tier dish? Essentially reducing several layers from the recipe pyramid, but still keeping it with reasonable effort needed.

So far I feel I just cant justify the use of foods outside super high end fractals or raids. Its just too expensive and convoluted to make unlike the armorcrafting or artificing consumables.

Cooking was fun to level, vis a vis discovery, but that got old quickly. I doesn't help that some of the ingredients can only be purchased via Karma vendors scattered throughout the zone.

In the end I don't use the best food, I use the food I can produce easily - which is still better than no food imo.

The whole crafting system has been from begin on only a half hearted, kind of unfinished feelign project and this will never change, until:

1) Finally Cooking and Jeweler 500 get added too2) Crafting becomes finally more than just a silly huge UI screen that covers 70% of your screen as a huge list of recipes, but actually craftign disciplines with craftign animations, where we can watch our characters exactly producing the items we want them to make for us at the fitting crafting stations3) Crafting in masses gets speed up, so that we don't have to watch above mentioned animations for an half eternity, until we have finayl crafted like all xxxx thousand units of something we want to craft, while seeing a huge steam of crafted items flow down on the right side of the screen and also in the chat appear, which don't need to be and are only disturbing. If we dont want to watch the animations - because somewhen they become boring , when you have sen them already thousands over thousands of times, the player should have just the option to SKIP the craftign process and immediately receive the complete crafting process, getting your for example 2000 units of mithril ingots to name an example all at once dsirectly, instead of having to watch, until the crafting ui has finally counted down all 2000 units of mithril ingots ingot per ingot...which takes some time, that feels wasted, which woudl be a massive QoL, if we could get what we want to craft just instantly, if we could skip the craftign process just by a specific button press which shoudl pop up when we start the crafting, so that the players can decide for themself then, if they want to watch the animations and wait, until everythign has been done unit per unit..or if you just want to safe the tiem and skip the whole animation stuff and get the things you craft directly,without having to waste any unneccessary tiem of watchign craftign animations. Win win for all - RPers happy and people whom is only time efficiency important happy.4) Mechanic Overwork, that the Craftign System should work always from a Top Down View, showing you only top tier items to craft, that they are craftable for you, when all lower tier parts that are needed are craftable too and which should be automatically crafted in that process, without that the player needs to do manually anything5) Settign up multiple different craftings at the same time.. its stupid that we can craft since release of this game always only 1 single item at a time and not various multiple things simultanously, as lognm the materials are there for it, to safe this way time spent, but this would maybe somethign great for a Crafting Mastery, to enable us players to unlock more simultanous Crafting Processes at the same time, as long there is enough materials for all of them.This would speed up alot of things singificantly.6) The Time Gating garbabe has to be removed, its totally counterproductive for craftign to have such crap... there are other ways to keep ascended materials valuable, than this silly artficial slow down of crafting them ... using such outdated methods is so much the 90ies.. we have 2018!!!7) in a good working craftign system should be receiving craftable items always cheaper, as of lettign it be rewarding to make the wanted item self, than by buying it from other players and not the other way around, where buying from others is way much cheaper, than to craft the things you want by yourself. if buying somethin is much cheaper, than to craft something yourself, then thats just a sign of bad economy, due to there being no demand for the crafted goods, cause if there is no demand for crafted goods, its clear that they will have naturally then the worth of a roll of toilet paper... throws halloween toilet rolls at ANet :P.8) Scribing needs to become as normal Crafting Job, which offers just additional if you own HoT some more crafting recipes on top of that you can craft only if you have the Expansions9) The Crafting UI needs better filters, so that you can deactivate recipes to be shown in the list, so that the crafting list becomes more overviewable, without that you need to close directly the categories to shrink the list for a better overview10) The crafting system needs to show the player also as well, which things you can't craft yet, and where or how you can unlock the things in the game, which you can't craft yet, basically as like the minpet list shows you, which of them aren't unlocked for your account ye. The players should see, which recipes aren't unlocked yet for your account/character among the various crafting disciplines and how you can obtain them.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:When I cook food in real life using the base ingredients, I cannot automatically make the end meal right away. I have to do them in stages just like in the game.

I see your point, but it's not a terrbly good argument given how we make weapons, say a pistol. I'm fairly sure the real life crafting of a firearm - even an archaic one - takes at least as many steps as an average meal.

@Tanner Blackfeather.6509 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:When I cook food in real life using the base ingredients, I cannot automatically make the end meal right away. I have to do them in stages just like in the game.

I see your point, but it's not a terrbly good argument given how we make weapons, say a pistol. I'm fairly sure the real life crafting of a firearm - even an archaic one - takes at least as many steps as an average meal.

It’s a perfectly good argument. People have argued for realism and immersion but taking away these stages would do the opposite.

I’m not sure what you’re getting at with weapons. You have the refinement of raw materials, crafting of the individual components, and assembly of the weapon itself.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

It’s a perfectly good argument. People have argued for realism and immersion but taking away these stages would do the opposite.

I’m not sure what you’re getting at with weapons. You have the refinement of raw materials, crafting of the individual components, and assembly of the weapon itself.

What I mean is that, just as a meal has a lot if different components and steps to make it, the making of a weapon involves a lot more than crafting two components and assembling them. For all crafts except cooking, the actual process has been abstracted down to a few key steps, for various gameplay reasons. Cooking is "the odd one out" with its reliance on intermediary steps and cross-tier component usage. It's absolutely not unreasonable to ask for it to be streamlined to about the same level of abstractness as other crafts.

I think each craft has room to have an element of unique tiered aspects to them but can agree with the OP to some degree.

Like jeweler has the ability of using dust to transmogrify smaller less refined jewels into larger nuggets and such. I don't have too much of a problem crafting certain lower tiers of food into other tiers of food but it can become rediculous when a high tier food requires some 5+ tiers of food to be upgraded, not to mention a lot of the lower tier of food can be extremely redundant even at lower levels. I feel they can combine some food tiers (or eliminate some foods but broaden the level of similar foods) so that the tiered system can work better for food upgrades.

Is clicking the "View Recipe" button a couple times really considered complex these days? :/

It is a bit nonsensical that you need 3 bowls of soup plus 5 apples to only end up with 1. Maybe everyone is just terrible at cooking and always destroy 2/3 of their ingredients every time they cook.

What I mean is that, just as a meal has a lot if different components and steps to make it, the making of a weapon involves a lot more than crafting two components and assembling them. For all crafts except cooking, the actual process has been abstracted down to a few key steps, for various gameplay reasons. Cooking is "the odd one out" with its reliance on intermediary steps and cross-tier component usage. It's absolutely not unreasonable to ask for it to be streamlined to about the same level of abstractness as other crafts.

But why should it be like the others? Not all crafts need to be carbon copies of each other.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

But why should it be like the others? Not all crafts need to be carbon copies of each other.

My personal position is "meh". I do however find a call for consistency valid, just as I find the call to keep what meager amount realism there is in crafting valid.

I personally like cooking as it is. Though, what irks me is that you can't store most of the intermediate ingredients.So you can either take some hours to simply power through cooking discovery and gain all the recipes in that process or, more likely, discover some, then sell the rest of the intermediate ingredients to then forget about needing them in your next cooking discovery session. This annoys me time after time. Apart from that (integral part), I like cooking.

@Khisanth.2948 said:All of them. Unless you have arthritis which might make clicking challenging but then the whole game is probably literally painful.

or you if mean it is expensive but that has nothing to do with being complex.

That's a bit disingenuous. When I cook (and I do cook food for my characters so they have snacks for the road), I'm always needing to either:

1. Needing to go purchase some specific ingredient from a karma vendor that I need to wiki to find which one.a. that is, after I check the trading post to see if the specific product made is cheaper to buy directly.b. making sure the other components used to make the food don't exceed the price of the food itself

2. Needing to go farm specific areas for ingredients that are bound but this is usually more a note for future cooking sessions.

3. Wiki foods that likely have better effects, are cheap and can't be crafted.

@Leo G.4501 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:All of them. Unless you have arthritis which might make clicking challenging but then the whole game is probably literally painful.

or you if mean it is expensive but that has nothing to do with being complex.

That's a bit disingenuous. When I cook (and I do cook food for my characters so they have snacks for the road), I'm always needing to either:
  1. Needing to go purchase some specific ingredient from a karma vendor that I need to wiki to find which one.a. that is, after I check the trading post to see if the specific product made is cheaper to buy directly.b. making sure the other components used to make the food don't exceed the price of the food itself
  2. Needing to go farm specific areas for ingredients that are bound but this is usually more a note for future cooking sessions.
  3. Wiki foods that likely have better effects, are cheap and can't be crafted.

None of that looks anything resembling complex.

For the location of the vendors you either remember or you can look it up. Would you describe meeting a friend for dinner at a new restaurant as complex because you had to look up the directions to get there?

The price of finished products being cheaper than the materials can be due to a bunch of stuff including someone deciding they want to plow through the leveling process by making a bunch of the same thing and then dumping the results on the TP in order to get back some of their money.

For most weapon types available in the game it is just that. The exceptions being rifle, pistol, speargun and maybe focus. There are numerous steps to making a sword blade but it can be reduced down to just "make the sword blade" which would cover all the forging, grinding, heat treating, tempering, etc.

Archived