Please no gimmick "remove X" weekends.

Swagger.1459

I, personally, have an issue with any gimmick "remove X" weekends... WvW was designed around various elements, and taking things out only makes it fun for 1 side of the equation... and that's not healthy. While certain "remove X" may seem "fun" on initial thought, we must ask ourselves "Is this fun when it happens to me?" first...

Hypothetically, let's say the devs toy with an idea to remove downstate for a weekend... And a player constantly get "1 shot" or blown up in seconds (because the dev team has not addressed the major issues of extremely low TTK, or reevaluated player health over the years of super power creep damage output, or have yet to implement a healthy condi/cc system for competitive gameplay )... over and over and over.... This will certainly not be fun for that player, or anyone getting farmed... or anyone side already outnumbered on the map.

"No AC..." or other "no X siege" weekend... So when your side is outnumbered, and your team can't defend a structure properly (because, ya know, it's that gimmick weekend), chances are players will log out and not bother...

I'm not going to go on and on with other hypotheticals, but I'd much rather have the devs focus their efforts to work on profession, and other vital areas, instead of gimmicks that can easily backfire and create more negativity than needed. And I personally would love to have a weekend where I can use a working, and competitive, Dagger/Dagger and SB Soulbeast... Or a weekend where GS reaper wasn't a complete waste of time, and a complete immobile sack of health that is over dependent on gated shroud mechanics that only has working condi builds... Just saying.

Thank you

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Swagger.1459 said:Hypothetically, let's say the devs toy with an idea to remove downstate for a weekend... And a player constantly get "1 shot" or blown up in seconds (because the dev team has not addressed the major issues of extremely low TTK, or reevaluated player health over the years of super power creep damage output, or have yet to implement a healthy condi/cc system for competitive gameplay )... over and over and over.... This will certainly not be fun for that player, or anyone getting farmed... or anyone side already outnumbered on the map.

if you get constantly oneshot now with downstate, how is a no downstate weekend going to change alot for you? the only glassy build on wich i get oneshot and that i survive downstate often is on my ele in a blob from rally. but that one rather goes down by retaliation not oneshots.

@Swagger.1459 said:I'm not going to go on and on with other hypotheticals, but I'd much rather have the devs focus their efforts to work on profession, and other vital areas, instead of gimmicks that can easily backfire and create more negativity than needed. And I personally would love to have a weekend where I can use a working, and competitive, Dagger/Dagger and SB Soulbeast... Or a weekend where GS reaper wasn't a complete waste of time, and a complete immobile sack of health that is over dependent on gated shroud mechanics that only has working condi builds... Just saying.

this is much harder to do and i do think it is more important that WvW does get some attention from the devs, one weekend gimmick is also rather short so you know it will end soon if you dont like that current one.

@"Swagger.1459" said:I, personally, have an issue with any gimmick "remove X" weekends... WvW was designed around various elements, and taking things out only makes it fun for 1 side of the equation... and that's not healthy. While certain "remove X" may seem "fun" on initial thought, we must ask ourselves "Is this fun when it happens to me?" first...

Hypothetically, let's say the devs toy with an idea to remove downstate for a weekend... And a player constantly get "1 shot" or blown up in seconds (because the dev team has not addressed the major issues of extremely low TTK, or reevaluated player health over the years of super power creep damage output, or have yet to implement a healthy condi/cc system for competitive gameplay )... over and over and over.... This will certainly not be fun for that player, or anyone getting farmed... or anyone side already outnumbered on the map.

"No AC..." or other "no X siege" weekend... So when your side is outnumbered, and your team can't defend a structure properly (because, ya know, it's that gimmick weekend), chances are players will log out and not bother...

I'm not going to go on and on with other hypotheticals, but I'd much rather have the devs focus their efforts to work on profession, and other vital areas, instead of gimmicks that can easily backfire and create more negativity than needed. And I personally would love to have a weekend where I can use a working, and competitive, Dagger/Dagger and SB Soulbeast... Or a weekend where GS reaper wasn't a complete waste of time, and a complete immobile sack of health that is over dependent on gated shroud mechanics that only has working condi builds... Just saying.

Thank you

Meh usually when I get downed in wvw I never get ressed anyways at least 80% of the time hehe. I think they should make catapults insta gib and not be able to res haha.

Downed state carries those who outnumber. There are going to be alot of upset zerglings getting rundown by experienced skirmishers fighting outnumbered. That's kind of how it should be.

No downed state is ya a bad idea permanently but for a weekend it's just good fun.

A more permanent solution imo would be a 7 sec cap on downed state and then auto die if not rallied.

I am in favor of seeing a ton of "gimmick weekends". We get three things for this:

• It interferes with people's expectations, creating new opportunities for game play.
  • Any change to WvW generates some buzz and the game mode needs it.
  • It gives ANet (and the community) a chance to try out different things. We might find that we like some of this, or hate some, or it might inspire us (or ANet) to consider other potential changes to the game.

For me, only a single weekend isn't that interesting. Better would be 6 months with 10-12 different "gimmicks."

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:I am in favor of seeing a ton of "gimmick weekends". We get three things for this:

• It interferes with people's expectations, creating new opportunities for game play.
  • It gives ANet (and the community) a chance to try out different things. We might find that we like some of this, or hate some, or it might inspire us (or ANet) to consider other potential changes to the game.

For me, only a single weekend isn't that interesting. Better would be 6 months with 10-12 different "gimmicks."

Or do we have a weekend of more “1 shot” and 3 second multiburst kill builds to complain about, and even more rage about the broken condition system?

I’m all in favor of double xp, rewards and stuff... but removing comeback mechanics is not something I can support given the current profession designs and state of combat for competitive modes.

@Swagger.1459 said:

@"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:I am in favor of seeing a ton of "gimmick weekends". We get three things for this:

Or do we have a weekend of more “1 shot” and 3 second multiburst kill builds to complain about, and even more rage about the broken condition system?

I’m all in favor of double xp, rewards and stuff... but removing comeback mechanics is not something I can support given the current profession designs and state of combat for competitive modes.

Because instead we should continue to see large groups of subpar players running down enemy players with zero threat of death because downed state is their second 3xhp health bar defense.

WvW lacks good players with good play because bottom line downed state carries far harder than it should.

I really like this idea. Creating extremely deadly fights once more. Balance implications aside (there are a ton) I'd use this to voice a few ideas about what should be done.

My solution is simple: Keep down state but make it decay way, way faster. Somebody going down and not getting ressed or killed immediately means that person probably sits there for up to 30 seconds, unable to do anything but try to rally. That's terrible gameplay. What's even more terrible is if a push leaves many downs but thanks to how the fight went they are unable to cleave them all effectively. Now one person dies and it instantly rallies half the enemy team. That feels extremely bad. Getting downed in the first place should be more deadly.

@DemonSeed.3528 said:

@SwankyMutt.9521 said:I don't mind gimmick weekends, mostly at least. It breaks up things and makes it...interesting?

I will QQ that weekend about my Scrapper and the Function Gyro though. ;)

Haha, I've become so normalized into not using them from the bugs they had that I've totally forgotten they are also used for stomps once upon a time :P

I know, right? The update from the skill splits and stuff seems to have fixed most the issues, I haven't really had any problems using it properly (I say seems because it's gonna bug on my later, watch). I have had to get myself back into the habit of remembering to use it.

@Justine.6351 said:

Because instead we should continue to see large groups of subpar players running down enemy players with zero threat of death because downed state is their second 3xhp health bar defense.

WvW lacks good players with good play because bottom line downed state carries far harder than it should.

That’s an elitist comment... be grateful that we have players playing at this point.

WvW lost a ton of great players due to neglect of the mode and professions and a whole lot of other stuff... It’s short sighted of you to think that down state complaints have brought us to this point, or have had any substantial impact on the current state of wvw.

And if you don’t know, down state mechanics also help smaller groups survive too, and give an extra chance at recovering... as opposed to being obliterated by superior numbers.

Be more objective.

@Swagger.1459 said:

That’s an elitist comment... be grateful that we have players playing at this point.

WvW lost a ton of great players due to neglect of the mode and professions and a whole lot of other stuff... It’s short sighted of you to think that down state complaints have brought us to this point, or have had any substantial impact on the current state of wvw.

And if you don’t know, down state mechanics also help smaller groups survive too, and give an extra chance at recovering... as opposed to being obliterated by superior numbers.

Be more objective.

I was when I said removing downed state was a bad idea. And I've been suggesting for over a year to cap downed state to 7 seconds.

@"Swagger.1459" said:I, personally, have an issue with any gimmick "remove X" weekends... WvW was designed around various elements, and taking things out only makes it fun for 1 side of the equation... and that's not healthy. While certain "remove X" may seem "fun" on initial thought, we must ask ourselves "Is this fun when it happens to me?" first...

Thank youThank you for this post cant agree more

@Justine.6351 said:

Be more objective.

I was when I said removing downed state was a bad idea. And I've been suggesting for over a year to cap downed state to 7 seconds.

Then be more mindful of what you type out...

“WvW lacks good players with good play because bottom line downed state carries far harder than it should.”

Also, a good or bad player is not defined by down state mechanics. That’s a poor generalization and assumption on your part.

@Swagger.1459 said:

Be more objective.

Then be more mindful of what you type out...

“WvW lacks good players with good play because bottom line downed state carries far harder than it should.”

Also, a good or bad player is not defined by down state mechanics. That’s a poor generalization and assumption on your part.

No, but they are frequently carried by it...

I agree with the op. Being able to be rezzed by team mates or pugs when you're outnumbered or the enemy is siege humping can turn a fight around. Also having to run all the way back from spawn because keep is tapped and down state was removed would make things very difficult for smaller groups fighting in siege or fighting against larger numbers. Anet please spend your time improving wvw instead, on bringing out alliances, if you must bring attention to wvw, bring the double xp weekend back or double reward track or skirmish tickets instead, something that's actually useful thanks!

Archived