Launching Stall/Crash?

It has been happening more often as of late, but upon launching gw2 it stalls/crashes before entering the character screen. I never have problems getting to the login screen and even after login confirmation. The problem is always at the Play-->Character screen that the game bugs out. The login screen will disappear and the gw2 icon will shift over in the taskbar below, while the PoF music starts to play. The character screen never appears and I'm stuck looking at my desktop wallpaper while the music plays on. I cannot access the taskbar and when I go to task manager I cannot access any apps in the field screen let alone gw2 to close it. When I use the windows key, I gain access to the taskbar and I it shows the option to close gw2 but will not do so when selected. Oddly enough, I can launch all other applications and programs when I exit the stagnant stall with the windows key. Any ideas of whether its a windows 10 thing or gw2 thing, or is my experience unique?

Try launching with the -windowed option. GW2 can default to an invalid resolution on Windows 10, requiring you to set it manually through windowed mode. Alternatively, you can reset your hardware-related settings by deleting the folder %appdata%/Guild Wars 2/, and if it exists, Documents/Guild Wars 2/Local.dat. You can also try renaming Gw2-64.exe to Gw2.exe, which is what GPU software looks for by default.

Archived