Budget soulbeast

My ranger hit 80 a few days ago. No matter how I look at it, the core profession is not very exciting to play. The longbow, the "signature" weapon of the class is also very boring. It may as well have two buttons - 2 and 5 for single target and aoe.

Now, I hear soulbeast is not only better than ranger in open world despite being a condi build, but it also uses the much more interesting shortbow. However, soulbeast will need viper gear that is expensive to get. So, what would be the optimal replacement for viper (sinister, dire, rabid, carrion) and is it worth playing soulbeast as a power build instead? What are the best pets for soulbeasts in open world and what do they use in fractals?

I don't think any other stats can replace viper. You'll lose a lot of stats if you pick anything else for a condi build. I think your best option is to actually go for viper, even if it's more expensive. An exotic viper set isn't that much , and if you want an ascended one the best option would be to craft any other set (like berserker's) and then change stats in the mystic forge.

However I also think power soulbeast is viable for open world PvE. In open world PvE you don't need to worry a lot about your build, as long as you don't do things like mixing weird stats or using weapons that don't make sense with the stats you're using. Shotbow is a condi weapon, not a power one. If you are planning on going berserker for a power build, I'd use greatsword or longbow, or axe + sword/warhorn. As for pets, it depends on what you want. For a condi build, use lynx. For a power one I'm not so sure of what to advise you -I play druid, not soulbeast. As druid I'd pick rock gazelle or black moa for cc and jacaranda, but I don't really know if these are correct for soulbeast since the merging-with-your-pet thing.

Power Soulbeast works in the open world and even in Fractals, although their damage output currently lags behind condi builds significantly. Rock Gazelle is probably one of the better choices for a Power-based Soulbeast as the pet and the Beastmode skills feature some powerful attacks and crowd control.

If you intend to try out Condition Soulbeast without Viper gear, you can use Carrion, while relying on Superior Runes of Affliction, and Superior Sigils of Agony and Venom to increase your condition duration. Sinister would have been the better choice, but the time gates on the Charged Quartz Crystals may not be worth it for a stop-gap build.

Minstrel.

Druid is a healing class. The best healer stats are: magi, minstrel and harrier.

However in fractals and raids, you are expected to provide might to the party. That means you need 100% boon duration -therefore, harrier or minstrel are the good options. Minstrel is the best option for fractals. Harrier is the best one for raids, because in raids you can't have a lot of toughness.

If you truly want to play condi soul beast then there really isn't an alternative to viper stats. If you don't intend to do fractals you can get an exotic viper set pretty much for free from varying sources, though it takes time; each time you complete chapter 15 of the hot story you can pick another viper piece (exotic).

Though if you intend to do fractals your not going to get the dps you do from viper with any other stat on a Condi build. As for pets I primarily use lynx as that has the greatest damage potential, though bristleback and wyvern are also options.

Archived