New 80 level fresh Korean needs help/recommendation from your guys

Cheon.1490

Hello guys! New (Korean) dude is now on 80.I'm planning to unlock my Holosmith specialization, but I have literally 0 hero pint from now on (cause of the boost).Also, I'm lost where should I go next. Do you guys usually finish up the personal story from level 10 to 80, or should I do some other stuff like living world or PVP?I really do love how the guild war provides gamers lots of flexibility and choices, but as a beginner, I'm inundated by them and frightened!!!!

Can you help me... through comment?...

original.gif314b1d292a4f59cbbdb48da2a6562ffba311c4fdlatest?cb=20170410120459

You shouldn't have used the boost if thats your first time playing gw2, now you will not have a clear sight of what to do next because you don't know alot about the game and hasn't experienced things.

You should try putting your engineer in a halt and level a new character, it could be a new engineer or any other class. And live the world, go wherever you wanna go. When I first started playing I took 1 month to reach 80, I would do map completion, wvw, pvp, anything I felt doing at that time. Level doesn't mean much, you will see, there will be a point where you can level any char to 80 with the 2903821938 scrolls and 291398 tomes you will have.

Hello and welcome!

If you're brand new and the first thing you did was boost to 80, you might be jumping in a bit too fast. But you tell me. Were you having any difficulty with the enemies in the Silver Wastes map (the map you started in after using the boost)? If not, then you're probably ready to give HoT or PoF (expansion) content a go.

That being the case, unlocking a few basic masteries might not be a bad idea. Specifically, the raptor mount (first PoF mastery) at the very least, although how far you'd like to get into it is up to you. But unlocking the raptor is easy. Simply do the first part of the PoF storyline and you'll get it! It will make moving around the game a lot quicker for you. But if you spend some time in PoF, you can unlock the other mounts and more of their skills for even more freedom of movement!

If you plan to give the jungle (Heart of Thorns) a go, you will want to unlock basic gliding, updrafts, and bounce mushrooms. These masteries are relatively easy to unlock and they will allow you to access the vast majority of HoT content.

Once you have the masteries you want to get started with, start really focusing on those Hero Points. Keep in mind that expansion Hero Challenges award 10 points, which you will need because the elite specializations require a great deal more points to unlock than core specializations! Also, note that unlocking hero points can be done simultaneously with unlocking masteries, as exploration is required for both and masteries additionally require experience!

A quick note on unlocking masteries. You may need to begin an expansion storyline to unlock masteries. Select a mastery to work toward in the mastery tab of your hero panel. From there on, all experience gained in the relevant content area goes toward that mastery (i.e. PoF content awards experience toward whichever PoF mastery you have selected, while HoT content experience goes toward HoT masteries). Once you fill the experience bar, you will be able to unlock the mastery provided you have enough mastery points available. These points can be earned in many ways (see https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mastery).

Also, be aware that Hero Challenges in HoT maps often spawn champions that will likely require you to cooperate with other players (although they can all be done solo, too!). PoF Hero Challenges are significantly easier, spawning tough veterans rather than champions. But both award 10 points per challenge toward specialization unlocks. Many players find it easiest to use Looking-For-Group (LFG) to seek out hero point trains in HoT.

A few more things to consider:

Exploration in the HoT maps is significantly more difficult than PoF. The maps are huge and vertically layered so that a straight line is often not the way to reach an objective and therefore the map is of more limited use than it is in normal maps. If you're a fairly hardcore explorer, you'll love it. But it's going to be one more huge challenge for a new player also trying to wrap their head around the basics!

About those basics. Both expansions are significantly more challenging than core content. They are designed to challenge experienced players and often require cooperation to complete events/bosses. Expect to find yourself mobbed by large groups of enemies, many of which have dangerous mechanics that can't be ignored. Group events and bosses abound. If you're still learning the basics, this could get frustrating, depending upon what type of player you are.

So, dive right in if you want to! Give it a go! But if it seems too difficult, you should try leveling from the beginning, doing the personal storyline, and learning as you go in an environment designed for exactly that! Most new players - even those with experience in other MMOs - would find expansion content in this game frustrating without at least leveling to 80 once!

For getting hero point for your holosmith, start the HoT story and get into Verdant Brink. Complete the hero challenges, probably very easy by joining a HP train. Move on to the Auric basin and Tangled depth to collect enough HP to unlock the specialization. During HP hunting, get as many Masteries as you could to unlock skills necessary in HoT maps (such as gliding).

Archived