PoF Mastery / Experience Bar

I apologize if this has been answered previously but I just wanted to check if what I'm experiencing is intentional.

I'm just starting PoF content and I'm trying to unlock Canyon Jumping. I'm at a point where my experience bar is full and I have one earned mastery point from a recent story completion. Because I don't have 2 banked mastery points, I'm not able to spend my experience bar towards a mastery point. So is it really intended at this point for me to be forced to stop everything and seek out an additional mastery point so that I can spend my experience bar on a mastery point in order to resume gaining experience? This seems like really poor design to me. I would expect that I would be allowed to spend my experience bar when it fills up and bank a mastery point so that I can continue to earn experience.

Is this a bug or is it intentional that the player needs to balance heart/events/exp earning with seeking out mastery point challenges in order to keep not cap out their experience bar and waste potential experience gains? This seems very counter to how HoT worked. I remember being able to play any way I wanted and experience would just rollup into getting me closer to the next tier of the track I selected. I get that there is a difference this time that there is initially only one track to focus on, but I would really expect that players be allowed to spend the full experience bar to bank a mastery point and work their way through the mastery tiers by playing how they want to play, instead of being forced to stop everything and seek out mastery points when their experience bar fills up.

The mastery system is the same in HoT, Core and PoF.You don’t get a point from filling the XP bar and never have.You will always need XP to fill the bar, and earned points to spend completing the mastery.

To quote myself, points in Crystal Oasis alone;

The ones that don’t require any other mount (only Raptor if at all);Pahans Memory Game (A Trip Down Memory Lane, has a map icon)Pot of Soup (Just a Sip, has a map icon)Amnoon Bazaar InsightOld Amnoon InsightReins of the RaptorCO Bounty Tour (3 bounties, 1 from each board location)

@Sephylon.4938 said:you can level other pof masteries while waiting to get more mastery points.

In the OP's case, no, because he will only have that one enabled. (He's at the stage where he has the Raptor and is trying to level up the longjump mastery so he can cross to get the Springer, so there's no trace of the other tracks.)

But for the OP, bounce around the Crystal Oasis to get more points for the Raptor. @Haleydawn.3764 gave you a list of SIX in the Crystal Oasis map. There are way more points available in total than you'll need to get all current PoF masteries to maximum, all five mounts AND the new one from LS4. (I have two left over after maxing every current track, and I have done no more than two thirds of the available mastery points (if you include story achievement points).)

EDIT: I'm wrong. To get to full completion of the current set of tracks, you require 69 points, so I have done 71 since I have two spares. There are 95 available, so I'm at three-quarters or so of the total.

Don't stress about "wasting" experience. You will find that experience comes plenty no matter when you may need it. Just explore naturally and unlock the mastery once you have the remaining points. If you have played the story to the point where you need Canyon jumping and have explored a bit (see above for some points accessible without other mounts) you will be able to grab enough points soon enough.

Thanks for the info, folks! I think I understand now. Experience work towards unlocking whatever mastery your training, and only when you have a full exp bar AND the required number of mastery points, can you unlock it. I was under the impression that 1 full experience bar = 1 mastery point. I get now that it's relatively trivial to fill up the experience bar so I won't be too focused on that and enjoy the content at my pace until I accumulate enough mastery points for an unlock.

Thanks again!

Archived