I know a lot of lore-hounds would really like to see an explanation of the Wizard's Tower, but I love the idea that there are some things in the game that we'll never know. This one seems like a perfect candidate to leave alone as I doubt that any official explanation will end up being as interesting as reading (or hearing) players speculate about what it might be. (Plus: also a fun source of potential memes.)
- Do y'all try to include lots of "extra" conundrums in the game for us to speculate about?
- How often do you put something in the game just because it looks cool (or sounds cool) and the community ends up going wild over what it might mean?
- Are you always tempted to retrofit an explanation?
- Can you offer any examples of something that started out as "just something fun to toss in the mix" and, due to player reaction, you ended up turning into something bigger?
added: I updated the title to emphasize the idea of "intended versus unintended" mysteries; the Wizard's Tower is just an infamous example.
- The Wizard's Tower "is a floating structure that once resided off Kessex Peak during Guild Wars, at the central southern edge of modern Kessex Hills. [According to Jeff Grubb] It has since been relocated by its new owner, Isgarren, to the southeastern edge of Kessex Hills. It was once rumored to house magical tomes and artifacts. "
Hype is the path to the dark side. Hype leads to unfulfilled expectations. Disappointment leads to anger. Anger leads to disgust. Disgust leads to "oh, new shinies! I'm back!"