Quick question regarding Sigil of Bursting.

I read this reddit post that sigil of bursting is busted and doesnt work as advertised. This was posted over 2 years ago. I see a lot of builds dont use the sigil (in preference to renegade runes) but when I make a character using http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/ sigil of bursting is a good choice. The thing is the website treats the sigil multiplicatively so 6% increase is actually 6% similarly to how sigil of force works and pretty much every other trait... except bursting sigil. So can someone clear this up. How is the sigil functioning ingame as of right now?

It actually increases your condition damage stat by 6%, which won't increase the damage your conditions do by 6%.

For example, if you have 1,000 condition damage, the sigil will increase it by 60 for a total of 1060 condition damage. This increases the damage of a stack of burning from 286 to 295.3, or 3.2%.

At 2,000 condition damage (which is actually impossible with just gear stats, which is all the sigil counts, that caps at 1647), the extra 120 condition damage from the sigil is only an increase of 4.5% damage (417 to 435.6). This is only on burning, though. Other conditions produce different results.

Yes, it's stupid and inconsistent with all similarly worded effects in the game. Besides that, it's usually better to get 10% duration out of malice and extra procs via Geomancy or Earth.

But if you look at http://en.gw2skills.net/editor and slot in renegade runes it increases condition stat by 7%. So according to that website it does the SAME thing as sigil of bursting in increasing condition rating only rather than increasing dmg by 7% so its equally as bad. I face the choice in my build where I can go either balthazaar runes with bursting or renegade runes with malice and according to the editor bursting does more dmg once I cap out burn duration.

So Ill post 2 builds here to compare. I want more survivability than going full Vipers+renegade runes so opted to sub in 7 pieces of trailblazers. This is the build: Vipers+trailerblazer it uses renegade runes with sigil of malice. Then I saw this build posted in Guardian forum and thought it was something I was looking for too. If you check the tooltip in the build editor it says the carrion build does more burn damage, but the editor treats renegade runes the same way as bursting runes i.e. increase cond stat only and it has been stated many times that renegade multiplicatively increases your cond dmg. So is the editor wrong in regards to how renegade is working? (you can remove the 6th rune in the build and see how it changes condition dmg rating in the editor) So the question here is which of the 2 actually does higher burn dmg? (specifically burn cause the other gearing choices affect power dmg and both builds have maxed out on burn dmg potential anyways)

To further compare the two builds in terms of survivability the carrion build has a high HP pool with low toughness versus lower HP pool but higher toughness of trailblazer. I feel having higher toughness is better for guardian because of the amount of condi cleanse available for the class in mantra of truth and virtues, and it raises effective healing versus non-condition dmg too, which is lowish with mantra of solace.

Another thing in going trailerblazer/viper mix Is I can sub in vipers for extra direct dmg when I feel like it, but can get extra toughness in the carrion build if I sub in dire gear (which doesnt affect the burn dmg it does). I would like to permanently use koi cake because its cheaper but its also possible to not run any vipers gear in the carrion build.

The editor is wrong on a number of things (such as condition or boon duration over 100% still being applied). This is just one more.

In this case, the Carrion build will put out the higher numbers for Burning specifically, even without the sigil of bursting (and the Viper+Trailblazer having Renegade runes). Where the Viper+trailblazer build pulls ahead is from bleed damage. Viper+Trailblazer will edge out slightly more damage overall, but I would say the Carrion is an excellent budget substitute.

@Drarnor Kunoram.5180 said:The editor is wrong on a number of things (such as condition or boon duration over 100% still being applied). This is just one more.

I have to question this one. How come even when im capped on burn damage on my guardian taking legendary lore increases tooltip dmg significantly (im taking ingame tooltip and for tome skills only)? What is happening here? I havent tested it, but also what happens with rangers oppressive superiority and weaver's prowess trait when youre capped duration. Maybe I got to start a new thread for that?

@eldrjth.7384 said:

@Drarnor Kunoram.5180 said:The editor is wrong on a number of things (such as condition or boon duration over 100% still being applied). This is just one more.

I have to question this one. How come even when im capped on burn damage on my guardian taking legendary lore increases tooltip dmg significantly (im taking ingame tooltip and for tome skills only)? What is happening here? I havent tested it, but also what happens with rangers oppressive superiority and weaver's prowess trait when youre capped duration. Maybe I got to start a new thread for that?

For most, excess duration over 100% still increasing tooltips is a bug. Actual effects are capped at 100% duration increases. From there, any excess duration you have counteracts -condition duration (sorry those breaking 100% boon uptime, you really do get no benefit). Oppresive Superiority and Prowess fall into the majority category.

Legendary Lore is a different story, as it increases the base duration of the skill, not giving bonus duration. This is an important distinction. When you have traits that reference specific skills (such as Legendary Lore or Lingering Curse), they modify the base duration, which condition/boon duration then apply to. I'll use Lingering Curse as an example because I'm more familiar with its numbers.

Necro Scepter 2 baseline causes 10 seconds of bleeding. With +100% bleed duration, this becomes 20 seconds. Once you add in Lingering Curse and its +50% duration, it now gives 15 seconds of bleeding and 30 (not 25) seconds with +100% bleed duration. This is because modifiers on specific skills modify the base, and are not counted as bonus duration.

Archived