Anet pls: Axe edition

RabbitUp.8294

The attack range of the auto attack feels very clunky. You can clearly see your enemies getting "hit" by the blue axe, yet they are not damaged, because the real attack range extents only up to the end of the physical axe you swing in your hand.

Consider increasing the effective range to 300. This will both increase the feel of the weapon, and increase the viability of mantras, because we will be able to stand behind the melee line to hit them with the cones, while still be in range of the enemy.

Alternatively, change the auto attack to 2 different attacks. The physical axe carries all the power damage and has 130 range, while the blue axe carries the conditions and has 300 range.

@RabbitUp.8294 said:The attack range of the auto attack feels very clunky. You can clearly see your enemies getting "hit" by the blue axe, yet they are not damaged, because the real attack range extents only up to the end of the physical axe you swing in your hand.

Consider increasing the effective range to 300. This will both increase the feel of the weapon, and increase the viability of mantras, because we will be able to stand behind the melee line to hit them with the cones, while still be in range of the enemy.

Alternatively, change the auto attack to 2 different attacks. The physical axe carries all the power damage and has 130 range, while the blue axe carries the conditions and has 300 range.

As far as the blue axe not hitting, I think there's some weird hitbox stuff going on, possibly due to race model differences. I tested the axe auto on a number of different sized mobs (fractal training golem, a dolyak, some small mobs like prairie dogs) and in all cases it actually hit slightly OUTSIDE the range of the blue axe. My guard is an Asura though so I'm pretty small, and I haven't had a chance to try it on bigger mobs. What race are you and what size mob did you notice this on?

@cathead.2037 said:

@RabbitUp.8294 said:The attack range of the auto attack feels very clunky. You can clearly see your enemies getting "hit" by the blue axe, yet they are not damaged, because the real attack range extents only up to the end of the physical axe you swing in your hand.

As far as the blue axe not hitting, I think there's some weird hitbox stuff going on, possibly due to race model differences. I tested the axe auto on a number of different sized mobs (fractal training golem, a dolyak, some small mobs like prairie dogs) and in all cases it actually hit slightly OUTSIDE the range of the blue axe. My guard is an Asura though so I'm pretty small, and I haven't had a chance to try it on bigger mobs. What race are you and what size mob did you notice this on?

Could be that. I'm on a charr and a norn. I do know that my asura ele swings a tiny Lightning Whip and hits the whole screen, so I'm no stranger to weird size scaling.

@Justine.6351 said:Actually it would play much smoother if they reduced the tome 1 skills to 300 to match mantras and increased axe 1 range to 300.

This is so true. One of the most weird parts trying to support with FB is that all skills has different range, and it makes it very difficult to position and play fluidly. "fluidly", is that a word?

@cathead.2037 said:

I play as a Char and I can definitely say that the animation size scales up considerably, to the point where it looks like the blue axe is behind the enemy I'm trying to hit and I would miss because physically I am just outside of the range. I feel the animation needs to be either toned down on larger models or have them a bit more uniform across all races. It feels like with the mystical axe that we should be given just a little bit more range though, more so when you add in the range of the mantras.

Archived