Hall of Monuments Achievements removed

Hi,I just got a message form "Scholar Aiti" with the title "LOR-748 Title-Issuing-Error" saying i was wrongfully given the title "God Walking Among Mere Mortals". Upon checking (this is the third time i had this issue) i saw all my "Hall of Monuments" titles were removed. I did earn several of them (not "God Walking Among Mere Mortals") and would like back please.

Short story: it will resolve itself.

Longer story: there are some connection issues affecting GW1 & GW2, which means that GW1 can't verify your HoM/GWAMM status to GW2, and so Scholar Atli is being over cautious. Eventually, the connection issues will fade and the problem will correct itself. It just looks ugly in the meantime.

It's a temporary problem due to the servers being unavailable temporarily.

Short story: it will fix itself later today.If you want to accelerate the process, logout of the game, and either boot up GW1 (and start at least one character) or use the HoM Calculator.

Medium story: due to a really horrid bug that was hard to track down and gave people credit who hadn't earned HoM or GWAMM, the system has been changed to periodically check with the GW1 servers to confirm status. That works great 99% of the time and fails when there are server issues. It always resolves itself (because the checks are fairly frequent). It's scary & annoying, but not ultimately meaningful; no accounts were harmed (just their owners).

Super long & vaguely tecnical story, FAQ style

If it isn't a new issue, why isn't it fixed by now?The existing issue is frustrating, but ultimately solves itself. That's better than the old problem, which didn't solve itself and was unfair.

What's wrong with the GW1 Database (or the GW2 DB)?There's nothing wrong with the database. There was a change to the AP system which accidentally granted HoM/GWAMM credit to people who hadn't earned it. They never explained the particulars, but we know they made at least two attempts to fix it that made it to the live code. Neither succeeded, which is how they ended up with the kludge used today.

Why do the GW2 servers keep making these mistakes over and over and over?They aren't making mistakes over and over. They no longer store data about GW1.

Instead, there's a subsystem that checks with GW1. That works perfectly, except when there are other issues that affect the game's connectivity. For example, where there's a problem with players logging on at all, it also affects the GW1?GW2 communication. At which point, the HoM check fails, because GW2 can't talk to GW1 (just like we had trouble logging on).

That's sounds like a huge problem, not a small one.Well, that depends on your perspective. It's a much smaller problem than the old one and it entirely prevents people from getting HoM or GWAMM who haven't earned it, which the old system did not (even before the bug).

So it's a problem, sure. It's just as lesser problem than we'd have without it. The current system is clearly a kludge. It has an obvious point of potential failure, one that will come up every time servers drop lines of communication. That doesn't happen often, but it really shouldn't happen at all.

However, the alternative is for ANet to go back to the drawing board and pretty much overhaul how AP is setup, granted, and maintained within the system. That's a huge chunk of QA attention on something that ... well it resolves itself.

Why not make it one way: GW1 HoM achievements can be registered by GW1 to GW2, but not removed. Players don't lose their GW1 titles anyways.Good point, except... that's exactly the original system. And it failed somehow. Not just once, but several times. People who hadn't earned the GW1 titles & HoM points got them in GW2. It took ages to figure out how to undo that, without accidentally affecting anyone who had legit earned them.

The good thing about this solution is regardless of how many false positives occur, it will always fix itself. Always

In short: this solution is like democracy. It's a really horrid option, except for being better than all of the alternatives.

ANet Official Comments
Previous Reports, Forum Archives
Previous Reports, Reddit

The other day I noticed when logging into the game launcher it seemed to take longer than usual to give me the ready button. It also seemed to take a little longer than usual for the game to come up after clicking the ready button.

When I logged in I found this: https://imgur.com/a/tbJbtY3

I alt+tabbed the game and was going to contact customer support but remembered others have had the same issue. So I did a bit of searching on the internet and found it does happen on rare occasions. Some old advice I saw was to exit the game and relaunch it. So I exited the game and waited a little bit, then relaunched it. My HoM was back to 46/50 points (along with all the achievement points).

If exiting the game and relaunching doesn't work, log into GW1 and go the hall of monuments. Talk to the NPC inside to switch it between single character and account view, but leave it on account view when you log out.

For the time being the best option is to:

1. Log out of GW2
  2. Log into GW1
  3. Visit HoM (Not sure if this is needed)
  4. Log out of GW1
  5. Log back into GW2.

This usually restores your titles and achievement points.But if I was ArenaNet I would just recycle this LOR-748 golem as it is clearly malfunctioning ;) .

It happened again. Second time in 4 days.I clicked the login button on the game launcher today and it took about 30 seconds for it to actually log me in. I closed the launcher and waited a moment, and again it took another 30 seconds. So I launched the game anyway and sure enough, I had mail with that notice again and all my HoM rewards were wiped out.https://imgur.com/a/oafAGHy

Exiting the game and relaunching it didn't work this time. It still took 30 seconds to log in and my HoM rewards were still wiped out.

Of course, I'm well past 18k achievement points and when HoM AP is removed, it puts me below 18k. (It's somewhere around 200 AP being removed from my account)

Guess I'll have to install GW1 and go to the hall of monuments to fiddle with it to see if that will kick it in the arse.

Strange. I went to my account page on the GW2 site and see under overview that I have GW1 active on my account. But there's no option anywhere to download the game. Under the 'Game Content' section the only option I have is to download the 64bit version of GW2 (32bit and 64bit for Mac as well) but no option to download GW1.

Edit: I can download the setup file from the GW1 website though https://www.guildwars.com/en/download

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@"Charrbeque.8729" said:Guess I'll have to install GW1 and go to the hall of monuments to fiddle with it to see if that will kick it in the kitten.

Just wait it out; it will resolve itself. You can also just use the
while logged out of GW2 (it triggers whatever triggers need to be triggered to improve things).

That's a big nope. I put in a character name and click the button on the right of the box (even tried pressing enter instead) and nothing happens. The button seems to indicate it's doing something, but after a few minutes it still wasn't showing my account accomplishments.

GW1 is dead, Jim. https://imgur.com/a/XR6CSQJ

Edit: I use Firefox, but I also tried the HoM calculator in Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer with the same results.

@"hailtonothing.5283" said:Is it just me, or is it super weird that GW1 being down affects GW2 stuff? From a tech perspective wouldn't you just have these in a DB table in GW 2 and enable them once earned, thus never requiring comms with or having reliance on the older game?

GW1 being down affects GW1 stuff in GW2; it has no impact on anything else in GW2.The reason they set it up this way was that making GW2 independent of GW1 ended up with some people who hadn't earned GWAMM or HoM/50 being able to display the relevant titles in GW2; this system prevents these "false positives."

And since GW1 runs on literally the same servers as GW2, it's not as unreliable as it sounds.

It's a clunky kludge, to be sure, but it's better than any of the alternatives that were implemented in the past.

• 6 months later...

Archived