Why did servers even get linked to begin with?

Zefrost.3425

Seriously?

I want my WvW back where mid/low tiers had the roamers and the players who actually played for fun and all the trihards were in the bandwagon servers (JQ/BG/etc.) Now I have absolutely no choice but to fight against megablobs. For what reason was there to do this linking garbage? The only reason that I can think of is some sort of data cost to save like $50 a month or something on your end.

I have never participated in the GvG garbage where the leader yells at you all day (tried once or twice, never again) nor have I ever liked the full on blob battles. I just want to get on after a day of work and roam like I used to. Is this going to get even worse with the upcoming update? The last time that I even made any WvW videos was before the kitten Reaper specialization and all of the other first elite specs even existed. That's the era that I'm talking about. Why was it changed? I didn't see a damn problem with it every day that I logged in to play.

Once in a while I heard something about people complaining about gates and arrow carts or something? I don't even know. Who even cared or paid attention to this junk? Just log in and play the damn game. That's what I did, and I enjoyed it.

There was nothing wrong with WvW before. The vocal minority is ruining WvW. Scratch that, has already ruined WvW.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's probably a population issue. If you're talking about the days of WvW pre Heart of Thorns, that was over 2.5 years ago. Even in HoT, I remember roaming the desert BLs and maybe seeing 1-2 human player enemies in 30+ minutes. As it stands, I think roamers still hit the BLs and rotate around camps, while the blobs are busy in EBG/keeps.

I don't see how you have absolutely no choice but to fight against megablobs, unless "roaming" to you is taking a keep with 5 or so people. Then the megablobs will come hit you. Otherwise if you see them on the horizon, odds are they aren't trying to cross paths with you, I'd wager.

i quit gw2 for a year and when i got back, things were already like this. seems like the player base then voted for it.

imo. servers ought to be deleted. and a new one made whereby everyone chooses where to group atleast every 2 months.

this would fix the stacking problem instantly. =p maybe even reduce the existing servers.

wvw is not only for roamers. maybe i suggest make a duel guild where you can invite ppl to join and schedule skirmishes.

imo. the one thing ruining wvw is 4k ping. because of this, i play wow now. yup it's a subscription game but, i'm one of those who spend money for his hobbies.

@Zefrost.3425 said:

There was nothing wrong with WvW before.

You lost me there. Linking may be a fatally flawed system but at least it made WvW somewhat more lively in the past 2 years. But seriously to say there was nothing wrong is just so inaccurate. Stability nerf, pirateship meta, lag, burnout, neglect of wvw, HoT disaster, all contributed to driving away a lot of players and they discussed various solutions to the population problem.

@Zefrost.3425 said:Seriously?

I want my WvW back where mid/low tiers had the roamers and the players who actually played for fun and all the trihards were in the bandwagon servers (JQ/BG/etc.)

Around the time HOT dropped the Dev's made a choice to manipulate our world populations to create rotations. This was a poorly thought out idea promoted by a handful of guild leaders. It should have been obvious that this type of heavy handed manipulation was never going to be good for a competitive game mode. That fun pre-HoT WvW is likely never going to be again in GW2 or even a GW3. Certainly not with this group of Dev's running WvW.

@Zefrost.3425 said:Seriously?

I want my WvW back where mid/low tiers had the roamers and the players who actually played for fun and all the trihards were in the bandwagon servers (JQ/BG/etc.) Now I have absolutely no choice but to fight against megablobs. For what reason was there to do this linking garbage? The only reason that I can think of is some sort of data cost to save like $50 a month or something on your end.

I have never participated in the GvG garbage where the leader yells at you all day (tried once or twice, never again) nor have I ever liked the full on blob battles. I just want to get on after a day of work and roam like I used to. Is this going to get even worse with the upcoming update? The last time that I even made any WvW videos was before the kitten Reaper specialization and all of the other first elite specs even existed. That's the era that I'm talking about. Why was it changed? I didn't see a kitten problem with it every day that I logged in to play.

Once in a while I heard something about people complaining about gates and arrow carts or something? I don't even know. Who even cared or paid attention to this junk? Just log in and play the kitten game. That's what I did, and I enjoyed it.

There was nothing wrong with WvW before. The vocal minority is ruining WvW. Scratch that, has already ruined WvW.

I guess you didn't realise that the low tier is basically ghost town, literally.

@SkyShroud.2865 said:

@"Zefrost.3425" said:There was nothing wrong with WvW before. The vocal minority is ruining WvW. Scratch that, has
already
ruined WvW.I guess you didn't realise that the low tier is basically ghost town, literally.

Pretty much what SkyShroud said, that and the mega blob servers "ruined" it before those of us in the "vocal minority" by buying up guilds and getting them to come to their server. Oh and guilds/alliances/commanders ego's ruined it too. There were many things that caused the population disparities we have.

@"Zefrost.3425" said:Seriously?

I have never participated in the GvG garbage where the leader yells at you all day (tried once or twice, never again) nor have I ever liked the full on blob battles. I just want to get on after a day of work and roam like I used to. Is this going to get even worse with the upcoming update? The last time that I even made any WvW videos was before the kitten Reaper specialization and all of the other first elite specs even existed. That's the era that I'm talking about. Why was it changed? I didn't see a kitten problem with it every day that I logged in to play.

Once in a while I heard something about people complaining about gates and arrow carts or something? I don't even know. Who even cared or paid attention to this junk? Just log in and play the kitten game. That's what I did, and I enjoyed it.

Linking was voted in by the community during an official poll.

A dev stated that population numbers had increased since linking and improved rewards were introduced.

The devs are now currently working on Alliances and blowing up all servers.

Good luck.

Edit- And before anyone needs “dev quote proof”...

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/WvW-Poll-21-May-World-Linking-Closed

“The poll has ended! After removing all votes for “Don’t Count My Vote”, the final results are:82.7% – Yes17.3% – NoThis mean that World Linking is now officially a Guild Wars 2 Feature. Thank you to everyone who voted!”

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/On-the-Validity-of-WvW-surveys

“Hey guys, since I’m seeing this topic pop up a lot, I wanted to step in and clear up some misconceptions.

1. Nearly every player that voted, plays WvW at least somewhat regularly.
  2. Whether they play 1 hour a week, or dozens of hours a week, the breakdown between people who voted ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ remains very constant around the 65/35 split.
  3. The in-game poll notification mail is only sent to players who are actively playing WvW. They must be at least rank 10, and have ranked up while the poll was running.”

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Additional-World-Linking-Information

“We’ve also had a substantial increase in global WvW participation since reward tracks, world linking, and the return of the Alpine borderlands. On top of that, we use a fairly long historical tail on WvW activity level for world population purposes.”

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/26547/world-restructuring

@Sylosi.6503 said:

@Swagger.1459 said:“We’ve also had a substantial increase in global WvW participation since reward tracks,...

That was some time ago, that level of activity that existed for a while after they added reward tracks has considerably dropped off. (at least on EU)

Those are two year old posts. That population level increase lasted for all of a month or so. People were happy to get Alpine back and the reward tracks for certain. Didn't last long though.

Archived