Why are norn mounts the smallest of all races?

Kelly.7019

Why are norn mounts the smallest of all races? I don't think its a bug, but just super weird. My norn has the smallest mount of our guild and asura have the biggest of them all. Shouldn't all the mounts be the same size? pic1 https://imgur.com/YERl6Dx pic 2 https://imgur.com/lk3T73E

I can only figure that because i made a whoopsy when i created my first toon 5 years ago and made a "small norn" that the mount somehow scales to how large you made your toon? I don't know if the other two have the largest scale for their toons, just a guess. But if that's not the case shouldn't my mount still be bigger then theirs cause my toon is bigger then their toons? It's weird, cause mine is clearly much smaller, while theirs is a slight difference. This a bug?

@Kelly.7019 said:It's not that my norn is "big looking" on a normal size mount. (my norn is the smallest norn ever by the way) My mount is much smaller then my guildmates.

I know, I was just trying to lighten the mood with a joke. Were it not for my character being permanently locked in a loading screen, I'd go test it - I know for a fact that my Norn is almost tallest height. Like a pixel or two left on the slider.

@Kelly.7019 said:It's not that my norn is "big looking" on a normal size mount. (my norn is the smallest norn ever by the way) My mount is clearly much smaller then my guildmates.

That's the problem. Mount size scales with your character height.

Add the fact that a lot of players choose max size Asura, and suddenly you have Asura riding gigantic mounts.

@RabbitUp.8294 said:

@Kelly.7019 said:It's not that my norn is "big looking" on a normal size mount. (my norn is the smallest norn ever by the way) My mount is clearly much smaller then my guildmates.

Add the fact that a lot of players choose max size Asura, and suddenly you have Asura riding gigantic mounts.

Hahahaha, really? That's uh... quite hilarious... !

@RabbitUp.8294 said:

That would explain why I don't have the OP's problem on my Norns. I initially thought maybe females were different, but I guess its because I made all my norns tall.

@RabbitUp.8294 said:

On one hand i get that, on the other my toons character height is still taller then the asuras and humans character height, all things being equal(which i guess they aren't in the dev world of coding) shouldn't the norn mounts still be bigger then everyone else's based on height scale.(but i suppose when thinking of "height scale" its not a matter of feet/meters per-say but small or medium or large)

@RabbitUp.8294 said:

This makes sense, I've been doing events with someone who plays Sylvari while I play Charr and their mount is much larger than mine. He's on the taller side for Sylvari and I'm on the shorter side for Charr; It looks like I'm crushing my poor raptor to death.

Yeah I'm not sure why they decided to go with high scaling instead of race + hight scaling. It looks quite silly seeing all these mismatched characters with their mismatched mounts. Charrs I think have the worst of it. Smaller charrs look like they're about to flop right off of their tiny mount, they're so top heavy on them.

@Roda.7468 said:Yeah I'm not sure why they decided to go with high scaling instead of race + hight scaling. It looks quite silly seeing all these mismatched characters with their mismatched mounts. Charrs I think have the worst of it. Smaller charrs look like they're about to flop right off of their tiny mount, they're so top heavy on them.

I think it's great myself....add a comical relief!

@Gailrin.1384 said:

@RabbitUp.8294 said:

This makes sense, I've been doing events with someone who plays Sylvari while I play Charr and their mount is much larger than mine. He's on the taller side for Sylvari and I'm on the shorter side for Charr; It looks like I'm crushing my poor raptor to death.

@Roda.7468 said:Yeah I'm not sure why they decided to go with high scaling instead of race + hight scaling. It looks quite silly seeing all these mismatched characters with their mismatched mounts. Charrs I think have the worst of it. Smaller charrs look like they're about to flop right off of their tiny mount, they're so top heavy on them.

Oh come on - don't tease us like this.

Someone post a screenshot already! :D

According to the Dev interviews, since characters on Mounts aren't two separate models, one on top of the other, but just one model, and the Devs wanted the Mounts (of a particular kind) to be a bit different, they scale to the character (height at character creation), and wouldn't be able to scale to race, and still be different.

For more information, watch the official Mount and Guild Chat videos on Mounts.

Good luck.

Archived