Suggestion for upcoming underwater balance patch

@"Martimus.6027" said:Increase swim speed by 30%, make underwater abilities not terrible and the targeting in 3dimensions easier, AND ADD QUAGGAN as a playable race. Done.

I'm sure ANet, and honestly every other part of the MMO industry, are eager to hear how on earth you would make 3D targeting (and perception) easier ... since it is, as far as I can tell, an essentially impossible problem given the limitations of the input and display devices most users have access too.

"Use a VR system" is the correct answer, but not a reasonable one, I suggest, in the circumstances. ;)

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

@"Martimus.6027" said:Increase swim speed by 30%, make underwater abilities not terrible and the targeting in 3dimensions easier, AND ADD QUAGGAN as a playable race. Done.

I'm sure ANet, and honestly every other part of the MMO industry, are eager to hear how on earth you would make 3D targeting (and perception) easier ... since it is, as far as I can tell, an essentially impossible problem given the limitations of the input and display devices most users have access too.

"Use a VR system" is the correct answer, but not a reasonable one, I suggest, in the circumstances. ;)

I'm not ANet or a dev. It's not my job to do it. It's theirs. Countered :+1:

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

if they remove the awful de-select part then it's fixed, i already hate it (ever since launch) but it's even worse underwater.

@"DeanBB.4268" said:I hope the next announcement is: "All lakes and oceans will be drained..."

Not a fan of UW combat, but maybe they'll surprise me.

HAH! Yes, their vision of "underwater balance" is to remove it completely.I mean, nobody likes underwater levels in video games. How come people strange sound effects and delayed ice-like movement here so much? I usually just spam one attack there until the sharks or whatever attacks me die. How is a thief supposed to work underwater? They should let underwater gameplay there for transit only, but no underwater COMBAT. Or very streamlined one.

Excelsior.

@Martimus.6027 said:

@Martimus.6027 said:Increase swim speed by 30%, make underwater abilities not terrible and the targeting in 3dimensions easier, AND ADD QUAGGAN as a playable race. Done.

I'm not ANet or a dev. It's not my job to do it. It's theirs. Countered :+1:

Legit. Expect to be disappointed in the near future. ;)

@Celsith.2753 said:Go to Orr right now. Do it. Go in the water. Swim around and fight things. Did that? Now realize how crap it is and hope it doesn't mean a water expac and wvw map :/

Isnt that why a full rework is needed? I dont think anyone questions the kind of a mess it is now.

I think, that it definitely is and always has been a very ambitious idea. And it will be a very challenging task to make it appealing. Though... and to be perfectly honest, its one of the areas in pretty much the whole game industry, where developers struggle to make something amazing. If Arenanet can pull it off it would set GW2 apart from pretty much every other MMO.

Its a huge risk ofcourse. It could also fall apart entirely. If they are going that way to begin with.

@"DeanBB.4268" said:I hope the next announcement is: "All lakes and oceans will be drained..."

Not a fan of UW combat, but maybe they'll surprise me.

HAH! Yes, their vision of "underwater balance" is to remove it completely.I mean, nobody likes underwater levels in video games. How come people strange sound effects and delayed ice-like movement here so much? I usually just spam one attack there until the sharks or whatever attacks me die. How is a thief supposed to work underwater? They should let underwater gameplay there for transit only, but no underwater COMBAT. Or very streamlined one.

Excelsior.

I agree, I rather like exploring underwater, so making it a nice, relaxing vacation spot would be just fine with me.

@Celsith.2753 said:Go to Orr right now. Do it. Go in the water. Swim around and fight things. Did that? Now realize how crap it is and hope it doesn't mean a water expac and wvw map :/

You're funny...I've done it, and I would do it again...I have ZERO problems fighting underwater, but then again, I also mostly use my Ranger and it's much easier to fight underwater with a ranged weapon...melee is not as simple, so if they made sure that all classes could use a ranged weapons underwater I'm sure that would make it easier for everyone. Just don't get rid of my piranha's.

Am I the only one severely worried about this? The announcment is pretty understated, it specifically states they are changing "skills", not mechanics, with no mention or indication of anything as heavyhanded as a "redesign", which is really what we all know underwater combat needs. I fear this is just going to be a glorified balance patch, with maybe some targetting improvements. But the same stuff we do on land, applied in 360°, didn't cut it before, and won't cut it again, no matter the amount of balance tweaks they make.

Archived