HOW do you think new underwater combat will work?

Just wondering what y’all think a net will do to make combat less clunky? The only thing I can think of is some sort of “lock on” function to make things a little less disorienting. I’m hoping whatever it is gets me back in the water!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm betting (fearing really) that we are going to see a bunch of number tweaks and add-ons (new conditions added to abilities, more or possibly all skills available underwater), maybe sped up movement, but that the only big changes are going to be fixing underwater targeting and skillshots, which isn't going to be enough, especially because underwater combats larger problem isn't how you fight, it's how clunky and awkard you move.

@Conncept.7638 said:I'm betting (fearing really) that we are going to see a bunch of number tweaks and add-ons (new conditions added to abilities, more or possibly all skills available underwater), maybe sped up movement, but that the only big changes are going to be fixing underwater targeting and skillshots, which isn't going to be enough, especially because underwater combats larger problem isn't how you fight, it's how clunky and awkard you move.

^This. As cool a concept as underwater combat is, in practice it really interferes with the things I like best about GW2 combat. It takes the mobility out of combat, making a great combat system feel terrible.

I'll reserve judgment until I see the results (they really surprised me with how amazing the mount system turned out to be!), but I admit I am very skeptical and already somewhat annoyed that they chose to put resources toward this effort. Not only would I have preferred those resources be focused on other priorities, but I now anticipate a renewed focus on underwater combat, perhaps as soon as the next LS4 map release. I am not looking forward to that, but I am hoping against my misgivings that ANet can somehow manage to deliver another surprise masterpiece like they did with mounts!

@Samnang.1879 said:i hope @anet make all skills work... otherwise theres no point of these changes...

i mean a chronomancer whose wells (all of them) dont work underwater... whats the point of bringing chronomancer then? LOL?

Yeah very funny I hv a chronic friend who always swear before he swap to other prof when we do aquatic fractal lol

I would not jump on the "OMG WATER COMBAT REWORK" bandwagon just yet. If anything I'd believe this patch may give us some better aoe targetting system, more skills available, eventually some of them changed in their UW functionality. I'd see this rather as early testing phases and a foundation for a proper eventual rework, basing on the feedback. And if community kittens itself by shooting the idea just because people overhyped themselves, ArenaNet might simply drop any future plans. And it would be because of Players acting as they usually do. Community's predictable reactions are almost a meme at this point.

@"Brother.1504" said:Preview of the underwater patch.

u did not just make fun of one of the most amazing disney animations of all time!!! make fun of finding nemo, but not hte little mermaid! it's epic! anet wishes they could make a story and soundtrack as good as the little mermaid

My hope:A unique set of skills for every class for underwater combat, thats clearly designed for underwater combat, keeping the class’ playstyle in mind.

Most probable reality:No changes to the skills or traits, just polishing the damage multipliers so UW combat becomes easy

No, honestly I think the real problem of underwater combat is that it shares the same traits you use for on land combats with different weapons and limited utility skills.Basically, you're never fully set for the underwater combat.

The only way to make underwater combat work is to create a completely unique set of traits and skills for that content, and completely dissociate them with on land content.Meaning, you can customize your build above and under water independently.(also the fact that weapons are so limited doesn't help).

I personally think that aside from that, everything else works fine underwater.

Not sure what I think the UW Combat needs, but here are somethings I hope/expect them to touch upon:

• Separate build for UW and ground, specifically traits (just like WvW/PvE)
  • More skills for each class workable UW (Thinking primary core skills, but perhaps some spez)
  • Some minor changes to UW weapon skills
  • Revenant should get another UW Weapon (Trident), and 1-2 more legends to work UW (Dwarf at least, prob also Dragon)

I don't know how htey could/should change movement, targeting, etc to make UW Combat more popular, that is a pretty tough question. Personally I'd hope they made changes so we needed less targeting (Both UW and on land), thus able to use more skills to affect things "around" us or "in front of" etc. So you can focus more on positioning/direction, than clicking targets or tabbing. I think that, combined with less hordes of enemy UW (more veterans instead?) would work better.

My wildest desire:

• Flesh Golem doesn't die and have cool down if you trip into a puddle
  • Soulbeast: same

Probably not what this is about.

• How about a seahorse mount?!

Still nah.

• More underwater weapon skins?
  • More breathing apparatus looks?

Not even.Still, curious to see what they'll do!

@"Maizan.8516" said:Just wondering what y’all think a net will do to make combat less clunky?

Not sure they have actually given the mechanics an overhaul. I believe that only the skills have been buffed/changed, because right now they are totally imbalanced (some professions kill within seconds, while others are having a hard time).

The announcement clearly says: "Changes to Underwater Skills. [...] We’re enhancing underwater skills and utilities." I believe that means what is says, namely "re-balancing", not re-working the whole thing. I doubt the mechanics can be changed without profound changes to the game engine.

Archived