Flag DPS-Meter user in the game — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Flag DPS-Meter user in the game

Dayra.7405Dayra.7405 Member ✭✭✭
edited May 5, 2018 in Guild Wars 2 Discussion

I hate my DPS being measured by others as much as reviving DPS-fixated people. I would like to exclude them from joining my parties as I like to stay away from their parties.
With the hacker-ban wave ANet has shown that it can easily recognize such users of third-party software.

I propose that DPS-Meter user are flagged as such easy visible in game, and that LFG-tool allows you to set a flag that keeps such people out from joining your party.

Mainly I want a flag like on the google glasses: This person is recording my behavior and violating my privacy.

Edit: Result of discussion:

ANet should make an option in the setting that everyone can switch at any time:

  • transmit combat data to me as currently (in 2 min) and flag me (now)
  • transmit only anonymyzed combat data to me (as to enemies in WvW) and do not flag me. (default)

This looks like a quite perfect solution for that situation.

  • Everyone that want to measure only it's own DPS can do so unmarked.
  • There is no process monitor running anywhere.
  • You even have the possibility to see other peoples DPS, but to do so you have to flag yourself.
<13456713

Comments

  • Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭

    So what as long as they dont start to write in chat all or none could have dps meter, just kick the kittens that join after your group msg said no dps meters mate.
    Alot of people just run it to see their own dps or to compete with the other dps ppl without saying anything in the groups.

  • sigur.9453sigur.9453 Member ✭✭✭

    as long as they don´t mention your dps, is should not bother you, since combat data is public data, as anet stated before.
    so your reguest will most likely not be considered.

  • Dayra.7405Dayra.7405 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 3, 2018

    So you are assuming I don't do DPS? Fine for me, as I don't want to party with you :) even if it is wrong for several of my chars, but the point is: I don't like the attitude and the stress the DPS-meter user bring into parties.

  • Linken.6345Linken.6345 Member ✭✭✭✭

    When I do chill runs and someone start flaming about dps that will happen sure, but guess who get kicked its the flamer so grow a thicker skin mate.

  • Fallesafe.5932Fallesafe.5932 Member ✭✭✭

    @Dayra.7405 said:
    I propose that DPS-Meter user are flawed as such easy visible in game, and that LFG-tool allows you to set a flag that keeps such people out from joining your party.

    Mainly I want a flag like on the google glasses: This person is recording my behavior and violating my privacy.

    Yea, great suggestion. I'm sure they'll get right on that.

  • BlaqueFyre.5678BlaqueFyre.5678 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Dayra.7405 said:
    I hate my DPS being measured by others as much as reviving DPS-fixated people. I would like to exclude them from joining my parties as I like to stay away from their parties.
    With the hacker-ban wave ANet has shown that it can easily recognize such users of third-party software.

    I propose that DPS-Meter user are flawed as such easy visible in game, and that LFG-tool allows you to set a flag that keeps such people out from joining your party.

    Mainly I want a flag like on the google glasses: This person is recording my behavior and violating my privacy.

    A few things to note, Anet allows Combat Meters to be used as long as that meter meters their Specifications, so no Ban waves for compliant Combat Meters, Combat Data is not Personal Data so there is zero infringement or invasion of your Privacy, if you join a Group/Party/Squad you give consent to the use of DPS Meters.

  • Dayra.7405Dayra.7405 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 3, 2018

    I am in EU and the server I am playing on is in EU as well and EU just got a new privacy law that companies cannot overrule at will. So I am very much in doubt that I accepted such rules and even if I did that this is valid.

  • Kururu.8140Kururu.8140 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 3, 2018

    It's been suggested countless numbers of times for Anet to implement their own DPS meter into the game. Either way, it's not going anywhere.

  • Dayra.7405Dayra.7405 Member ✭✭✭

    No I said that these people violate my privacy.
    And that flagging them is shown to be technical feasible by ANet.

  • BlaqueFyre.5678BlaqueFyre.5678 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Dayra.7405 said:
    I am in EU and the server I am playing on is in EU as well and EU just got a new privacy law that companies cannot overrule at will. So I am very much in doubt that I accepted such rules and even if I did that this is valid.

    Combat data is not any personal information that belongs to a player, Combat Data is any data that is generated by the use of skills and abilities of players and outside sources in the game environment, non of that falls under Personal Privacy laws in the EU or in the States, actually reading the laws helps identify that.

  • Dayra.7405Dayra.7405 Member ✭✭✭

    Combat data is recording my action and evaluating them. Facebook and Cambridge Analytics just shown what uncontrolled recording and publishing of people’s actions can lead to.

  • Dayra.7405Dayra.7405 Member ✭✭✭

    You miss the point it‘s privat to be classified as rather offensive or defensive personality. And the least I want is being notified that someone is doing that with me.

  • Rauderi.8706Rauderi.8706 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Important question just to keep me up to date on this (since it seems to bounce around from month to month and should be noted in their TOS):
    Where are DPS meters getting other players' data from? Is there some API thing that details their combat data? Or is the meter reading more data than it's allowed? Because last I was aware, each person using a meter had to submit their data for sharing, so it shouldn't be possible to get a non-participant's data (unless 4 / 5 of them are using it and the final data is inferred).

    Many alts! Handle it!

    "A condescending answer might as well not be an answer at all."
    -Eloc Freidon.5692

  • BlaqueFyre.5678BlaqueFyre.5678 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Rauderi.8706 said:
    Important question just to keep me up to date on this (since it seems to bounce around from month to month and should be noted in their TOS):
    Where are DPS meters getting other players' data from? Is there some API thing that details their combat data? Or is the meter reading more data than it's allowed? Because last I was aware, each person using a meter had to submit their data for sharing, so it shouldn't be possible to get a non-participant's data (unless 4 / 5 of them are using it and the final data is inferred).

    That was only one combat meter and it wasn’t in compliance within Anets Specifications due to other “features” that the Creator refused to remove and Anet Banned the Creator and the players that continued to use it.

    Here is Anets statement on the collection of Combat Data.

    “ChrisClearySkrittCoin-Miner• 1y
    We have no problems with players using a 3rd party tool whose scope is only to collect and visualize combat data gathered directly from the game client. Anything beyond that scope is still considered a violation of the User Agreement.”

  • Dayra.7405Dayra.7405 Member ✭✭✭

    @Imperadordf.2687 said:
    Combat data is not private.

    Currently not, true, questionable if that is a good idea, but I want to be noticed when someone analyses them!

  • Laila Lightness.8742Laila Lightness.8742 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Imperadordf.2687 said:
    Combat data is not private.

    Your own is not but.you cant see other peoples dps without meter

  • DarthFurby.3970DarthFurby.3970 Member ✭✭
    edited May 3, 2018

    @Dayra.7405 said:

    @Imperadordf.2687 said:
    Combat data is not private.

    Currently not, true, questionable if that is a good idea, but I want to be noticed when someone analyses them!

    But it consistently seems to be the case, you just can't accept it. What is it about your damage numbers that you are so adamant about people not seeing? Are you worried that somehow the rotation of your skills will cause your damage to reflect your bank account and other personal identifying information? Rest assured that won't happen. Your damage when your in a party is impacting everyone there, so they all should be allowed to view your performance as it impacts them as well.

    If you are worried you don't perform up to par then get better, if your sure your doing fine then what difference does any of this make? No one is sitting around documenting your specific information and scrutinizing you behind your back.

  • BlaqueFyre.5678BlaqueFyre.5678 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 3, 2018

    @Laila Lightness.8742 said:

    @Imperadordf.2687 said:
    Combat data is not private.

    Your own is not but.you cant see other peoples dps without meter

    Actually you can see it if you know what to look for and to do very simple maths, since the value of NPC health bars are known, players can see percentages of Health bars remaining and if they really wanted to could just watch those things and get a extremely good grasp of someone’s dps, you can also see exactly what skills players use since all skills have animations.

    Combat Meters just compile everything into a easier to read visual aid, nothing more nothing less.

    Better not use any skills then a player will know what you used without your consent, oh no my private data! /s

  • Dayra.7405Dayra.7405 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 3, 2018

    @BlaqueFyre.5678 said:
    Combat Meters just compile everything into a easier to read visual aid, nothing more nothing less.

    You can see actions of people on the street, still it's a totally different thing to record them and especially to evaluate them to generate profiles of people.

  • sigur.9453sigur.9453 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 3, 2018

    @Dayra.7405 said:

    @BlaqueFyre.5678 said:
    Combat Meters just compile everything into a easier to read visual aid, nothing more nothing less.

    You can see actions of people on the street, still you are not allowed to record them and especially you are not allowed to evaluate them.

    i AM actuall allowed to evalute them.
    And filming in indeed a violation, (when the face is visible and she/he is the center of the picture), since it falls under personal rights.

  • Imperadordf.2687Imperadordf.2687 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Laila Lightness.8742 said:

    @Imperadordf.2687 said:
    Combat data is not private.

    Your own is not but.you cant see other peoples dps without meter

    It's that way to avoid visual noise. Otherwise it's been stated many times that anything not-related to personal data is not private.

<13456713
©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.