Flag DPS-Meter user in the game

I hate my DPS being measured by others as much as reviving DPS-fixated people. I would like to exclude them from joining my parties as I like to stay away from their parties.With the hacker-ban wave ANet has shown that it can easily recognize such users of third-party software.

I propose that DPS-Meter user are flagged as such easy visible in game, and that LFG-tool allows you to set a flag that keeps such people out from joining your party.

Mainly I want a flag like on the google glasses: This person is recording my behavior and violating my privacy.

Edit: Result of discussion:

ANet should make an option in the setting that everyone can switch at any time:

• transmit combat data to me as currently (in 2 min) and flag me (now)
  • transmit only anonymyzed combat data to me (as to enemies in WvW) and do not flag me. (default)

This looks like a quite perfect solution for that situation.

• Everyone that want to measure only it's own DPS can do so unmarked.
  • There is no process monitor running anywhere.
  • You even have the possibility to see other peoples DPS, but to do so you have to flag yourself.

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@"Dayra.7405" said:I hate my DPS being measured by others as much as reviving DPS-fixated people. I would like to exclude them from joining my parties as the like to stay away from their parties.With the hacker-ban wave ANet has shown that it can easily recognize such users of third-party software.

I propose that DPS-Meter user are flaged as such easy visible in game, and that LFG-tool allows you to set a flag that keeps such people out from joining your party.

"no dps meter or kick"

So what as long as they dont start to write in chat all or none could have dps meter, just kick the kittens that join after your group msg said no dps meters mate.Alot of people just run it to see their own dps or to compete with the other dps ppl without saying anything in the groups.

So you are assuming I don't do DPS? Fine for me, as I don't want to party with you :) even if it is wrong for several of my chars, but the point is: I don't like the attitude and the stress the DPS-meter user bring into parties.

I have seen a lot of things over the years, but it never happend to me that someone was kicked out of a non meta/casual/play what you want LFG group in case of dps. Most times ppl in those groups get kicked if they spend most of the time on the ground or in case of some wired class hate. If i'm running on my necro main i always run an dps meter, this tool has saved me a few times for getting kicked when something went wrong just for the case i'm a power reaper...

@Dayra.7405 said:I propose that DPS-Meter user are flawed as such easy visible in game, and that LFG-tool allows you to set a flag that keeps such people out from joining your party.

Mainly I want a flag like on the google glasses: This person is recording my behavior and violating my privacy.

Yea, great suggestion. I'm sure they'll get right on that.

@Dayra.7405 said:I hate my DPS being measured by others as much as reviving DPS-fixated people. I would like to exclude them from joining my parties as I like to stay away from their parties.With the hacker-ban wave ANet has shown that it can easily recognize such users of third-party software.

I propose that DPS-Meter user are flawed as such easy visible in game, and that LFG-tool allows you to set a flag that keeps such people out from joining your party.

A few things to note, Anet allows Combat Meters to be used as long as that meter meters their Specifications, so no Ban waves for compliant Combat Meters, Combat Data is not Personal Data so there is zero infringement or invasion of your Privacy, if you join a Group/Party/Squad you give consent to the use of DPS Meters.

@Dayra.7405 said:

@Dayra.7405 said:if you join a Group/Party/Squad you give consent to the use of DPS Meters.

Do I? Looks like i missed that part of the TOA.

Anet Devs have Stated it on multiple occasions on these forums and on Reddit, there is also a clause in their UA/ToS that states they don’t have to update that verbiage and only have to announce it on their used Media outlets, ie the forums and reddit.

I am in EU and the server I am playing on is in EU as well and EU just got a new privacy law that companies cannot overrule at will. So I am very much in doubt that I accepted such rules and even if I did that this is valid.

@Dayra.7405 said:I am in EU and the server I am playing on is in EU as well and EU just got a new privacy law that companies cannot overrule at will. So I am very much in doubt that I accepted such rules and even if I did that this is valid.

Combat data is not any personal information that belongs to a player, Combat Data is any data that is generated by the use of skills and abilities of players and outside sources in the game environment, non of that falls under Personal Privacy laws in the EU or in the States, actually reading the laws helps identify that.

The only viable way for this work is for the OP to build a friends list of people who they enjoy playing with, and presumably, don't use a DPS meter, and only form groups based on that list.

But asking ANET to allow you to 'flag' players who use DPS meters? Where does that train stop? Can we flag / exclude players who don't have over 'x' number of achievement or mastery points? Who play Asurans? Who play Ausran Necromancers? Who play Asuran Necromancers but have less than 'y' WvW rank?

To the OP: I'm afraid this is a 'you; problem, not a community or developer problem.

@Dayra.7405 said:Combat data is recording my action and evaluating them. Facebook and Cambridge Analytics just shown what uncontrolled recording and publishing of people’s actions can lead to.

Big difference between the two, and the combat Meters just compile what is already visible to every person in your party/nearby, and the effect on the environment around them, again it is public data, and again actually reading the laws and definition of the new EU online privacy regulation (which doesn’t take effect till 25 May 2018) you would see that they don’t cover combat data in a video game.

@"Dayra.7405" said:No I said that these people violate my privacy.And that flagging them is shown to be technical feasible by ANet.

How exactly is being grouped up in an MMO a "private" setting? I suggest that if you don't want other people seeing you play (and thus being able to judge your performance (you don't need a dps meter for that)) to stick to single player games.

There's a way to check your damage consistency that is built in game. While I don't mind the fact people want to benchmark their stuff. I do mind having it as a de-facto criteria for getting into high-tier stuff. Some games consider having the availability of everyone's DPS at their fingertips a bannable offense. Being kicked because you're sub-optimal, because you aren't measuring or sharing your damage output, because you're having a bad DPS day? Having meters as an 'available' option not part of the API is technically considered boundary-crossing, but regardless invites a large wave of unwanted toxicity.

And as for this "check" in the game? It's called a combat log. Sure it's not robust, but it's what you got. It may not measure your total output per second, but you can make rudimentary benches out of it.

To iterate: I'm not against measuring DPS, or having a means to measure it. I am, however, against having my details read by someone other than me. I personally do not use DPS meters, because by rights it is across that line that seperates "legit" from "suspicious".

Archived