Battle Royale mode?

I remember it was pretty interesting when I gave it a try, but many of the skills and effects felt too random to me. Also the whole food and survival thing didn't work for me either, since I felt like it took away from the fighting. Other rotating events were more fun, but I haven't tried those much either after getting the achievements.

@Willhart.8230 said:I remember it was pretty interesting when I gave it a try, but many of the skills and effects felt too random to me. Also the whole food and survival thing didn't work for me either, since I felt like it took away from the fighting. Other rotating events were more fun, but I haven't tried those much either after getting the achievements.

Its because the game's Mechanical and UI system isn't made with that type of game play in mind, so its extra awkward on top of the jarring change in game play pacing. A good Battle royale game tends to more methodical and careful, since that type of thought process matches the tension of a single elimination game mode. Situational awareness now pays off, and outsmarting a player is more effective.

Unfortunately, the popular modern BR games are just large scale arena fights. Thats why Fortnite is at the top right now. PUBG is faster then ARMA (DayZ unintentionally being the archetype for modern BR level design), and Fortnite is practically UT with construction mechanics. Its a design that allows for rapid cycles through matches..... because most gamers have become openly hostile to any game play that slows down for any reason. The weapons and rules are designed to force the players into engagements, which speeds up the game play forces them to take risks; but at the same time conditions them to devalue planning, and encourages bursts of rapid activity to minimize exposure. Its a mind set that kind of fights itself, and is actually something warshooters in the wake of the ADS craze tend to not understand and make work.

If you look at Titanfall closely, you can see this dissonance between the fast movement, and the slow awkwardness of having to ADS for accuracy. It kind of went unnoticed until TitanFall 2, because players were just so used to what ADS does.

I love Southsun Survival for what it is: a snack-sized battle royale in a GW2 setting.

It's not a full-featured game and doesn't need to be. I enjoy taking my characters to it now and then for a quick run, and I'd gladly see it improved - bug fixes, a shared lobby for consistent timing, variations of mechanics, expanded options for mist walkers - without expecting a full-blown game-mode like WvW.

Archived