Fear not this night 2018 version : on Soundcloud ! — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Fear not this night 2018 version : on Soundcloud !

Theros.1390Theros.1390 Member ✭✭✭
edited May 4, 2018 in Community Creations

Okey guys

Who will get a kiss from me ? Who must we Thanks for this ?! WHOO ?

@Gaile Gray.6029 , is that you ? :o

Nope, seriously : thank you guys. You're all awesome <3

Credits :

Arrangement by Maclaine Diemer
Lead Vocals by Maclaine Diemer
Background Vocals by Katelyn Issacson

Tagged:

Comments

  • artemis.6781artemis.6781 Member ✭✭✭

    It's already on the forums 😉 thanks for sharing again.

  • Theros.1390Theros.1390 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 4, 2018

    Ow,

    Well, I did a reseach, but didnt find the thread ^^ (should had reseach in titles eh...)

    Sorry for this. Let's say rather twice than once ;)

  • artemis.6781artemis.6781 Member ✭✭✭

    No biggie, they will probably just combine the 2 threads. But none the less, it is cool! Thanks for sharing.

  • Inculpatus cedo.9234Inculpatus cedo.9234 Member ✭✭✭✭

    You go, Maclaine! Maybe a third career?

  • Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 4, 2018

    If it's any help, i missed an earlier threads so thanks for the post

    Song aside, I love the darker tone overall it portrays. I hope we go a lot darker before all is said and done (that might just be because I'm in a William Hope Hodgson zone though..)

    What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

  • Orpheal.8263Orpheal.8263 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 4, 2018

    Beats in no way the original, sorry

    The original catched an emotional moment, that this remix never can do the same

    PS. to go a step further, I'd say even it would have been better not to remix FNTN, but make instead a complete new vocalized song that could have been used for the LW content..but maybe eventually for the end of the current season, where it fits better to create a new emotional catching moment.


    Cassandra Lancaster - Achievement Hunter - 28,9k AP currently - Server: Drakkar Lake/EU - Mastery Rank of 254
    I'm the proud Origin of the Elite Specializations Concept (Sub Classes) through the last made CDI Project.


  • Kheldorn.5123Kheldorn.5123 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Orpheal.8263 said:
    Beats in no way the original, sorry

    The original catched an emotional moment, that this remix never can do the same

    It never intended to beat anything.

  • Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

    It doesn't beat the original, it provides an excellent alternative to it since it conjures up entirely different emotions and atmospheres. What it sets out to achieve it does so and it does it brilliantly.

    What continues to shine in this part of GW2's life is the score. There is nothing overtly wrong with Soule's stuff, but what has appeared since has more often than not, captured the setting and atmosphere it is designed for in much better way. There are times where the re-used assets get it wrong (Dry Top music in the new Rata area for eg), but pretty much all the music hits the spot perfectly each time.

    Fantastic job by the team and I'll sing your praises even more if you can re-use Rata Novus music in game in future releases ;)

    What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

  • Bish.8627Bish.8627 Member ✭✭✭

    @Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

    @Orpheal.8263 said:
    Beats in no way the original, sorry

    The original catched an emotional moment, that this remix never can do the same

    Don't apologize! :) Not everyone loves everything, and it was awesome to get to deliver something that so many people wanted. It's been great the past few hours to see everyone's excitement--and for those who don't care for it the original still exists!

    Any chance this and the rest of the OST will go on spotify?

  • Krypto.2069Krypto.2069 Member ✭✭✭

    Dude... this version of the song, especially completed, gives me the CHILLS! BRAVO! :+1:
    CLAP, CLAP, CLAP!!!
    WOW! :smiley:

    Moonlight [THRU]

  • TheQuickFox.3826TheQuickFox.3826 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Very impressive. I love it. <3

    /bow

    Ascalon Will Prevail!

    GW Wiki user page | GW2 Wiki user page

  • HardRider.2980HardRider.2980 Member ✭✭✭

    HYPE TRAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    A City of Heroes never die... A City of Villains will never surrender... Neither City will be forgotten.

  • Nep Leet.5491Nep Leet.5491 Member ✭✭

    Can we please get the Soggy Joko Brothers on the line-up at the Crow's Nest Tavern?! <3

  • mp3? file downloads as a .wav

  • eduardo.1436eduardo.1436 Member ✭✭✭

    Love this song! :heart: This better show up in the Season4 finale trailer :wink:

  • StinVec.3621StinVec.3621 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2018

    @ZerotheFang.5890 said:
    mp3? file downloads as a .wav

    One tool you can use is one of the many converter websites if you would like.
    This is one I have used to convert soundcloud tracks to mp3 format.

    It saves this track as a 128kbps mp3 that is only 2.48MB instead of the 4,608kbps 89.4MB wav file.

    If you would prefer a higher quality 320kbps mp3 (~6MB), there are other sites that offer selectable quality levels, as well as m3u autofill/customization that work for soundcloud as well as other media sites.

    WOW - Done with forums for good now! - Someone creates a thread about Pharus's light on crit effect asking if it is a bug - I get warned for being "off topic" for commenting how to use the search and pointing out threads discussing Pharus and it being an intended effect... Goodbye all. Happy gaming.

  • circuitnerd.5863circuitnerd.5863 Member ✭✭✭

    I absolutely love this version of the song. From a musical standpoint what exactly makes it dark sounding? Is it in a minor key instead? If someone could explain this that would be great!

    Certifiable gameaholic

  • Nyion.6057Nyion.6057 Member ✭✭

    Can't wait when I can add it to my Spotify list

  • Awesome how you guys listened to the demand for the rest of the song and went the extra step to provide it. ^^

    I will always prefer the inspiring and beautiful version to the dark and creepy one, but still fun to hear both versions. (Same for the Soggy Joko version. XD )

  • Imperadordf.2687Imperadordf.2687 Member ✭✭✭✭

    On Spotify, please!

  • Dami.5046Dami.5046 Member ✭✭✭✭

    It matches the part of the game it now relates too which gives it a darker meaning. I like both of them.

  • Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Fairly spooky..I was listening to it on my ipad and even after I closed Soundcloud and the browser...it continued to play. Joko has infiltrated my system too!!!

    What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

  • sorudo.9054sorudo.9054 Member ✭✭✭✭

    ....this is perfect as a heavy metal cover

  • OrbitalButt.5708OrbitalButt.5708 Member ✭✭✭

    Not my cup of tea

  • MFoy.3284MFoy.3284 Member ✭✭

    Absolutely brilliant. Much applause to all!

  • This is such a contrast to the original, "optimistic" version of the song, this one sounds brilliantly dark and full of foreboding. I absolutely love it!

    Hahaha, I hope we will one-day encounter The Soggy Joko Brothers performing their rendition of the song in one of the remote mountain homesteads of Tyria. :)

  • Ravel.5701Ravel.5701 Member ✭✭

    Oh Anet, I love you guys!

  • holodoc.5748holodoc.5748 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2018

    The male vocal completely lacks any sign of life in his voice. Like he is bored to death while signing. In fact he sounds so emotionless and lifeless that I can easily imagine him being an undead, singing somewhere in Orr. Intentional or not, can't tell. For me personally Asja's version has no competition to date.

  • Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @holodoc.5748 said:
    The male vocal completely lacks any sign of life in his voice. Like he is bored to death while signing. In fact he sounds so emotionless and lifeless that I can easily imagine him being an undead, singing somewhere in Orr. Intentional or not, can't tell. For me personally Asja's version has no competition to date.

    That is in part deliberate (and also a slight misinterpretation of what he doing) considering the style it is in homage to. He is trying to twist the original into a darker and creepier style. Which is he pretty much nails. Whilst it doesn't compete with Asja's naturally, they aren't really comparable in that way either.

    What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

  • holodoc.5748holodoc.5748 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2018

    @Randulf.7614 said:

    @holodoc.5748 said:
    The male vocal completely lacks any sign of life in his voice. Like he is bored to death while signing. In fact he sounds so emotionless and lifeless that I can easily imagine him being an undead, singing somewhere in Orr. Intentional or not, can't tell. For me personally Asja's version has no competition to date.

    That is in part deliberate (and also a slight misinterpretation of what he doing) considering the style it is in homage to. He is trying to twist the original into a darker and creepier style. Which is he pretty much nails. Whilst it doesn't compete with Asja's naturally, they aren't really comparable in that way either.

    Intentional or not the vocal performance of the male version, for me personally, is just lacking. For example, when I hear that "fear not this night" at 01:52 my ears start to bleed just how wrong the transitions sound. It's like the author is struggling to decide where to head next but in the process just hits a wall.

    On top of that I'd personally use a much deeper voice for a male version of FNTN.

  • Ardenwolfe.8590Ardenwolfe.8590 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2018

    So awesome. Been waiting for this one. Thank you so much for posting this! Very Phantom of the Opera feeling to this version. Jesus . . . this is so beautiful. I can't get enough. Lost count of how many times I listened to it on repeat. . . .

    Edit: @Donari.5237 Completely agree! Probably Guild Wars 2's best song and rendition in my humble opinion. So dark and so delightful.

    No longer posting or playing.

  • holodoc.5748holodoc.5748 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2018

    @Donari.5237 said:
    You do understand that it's the composer doing the singing, right? He wasn't comfortable with his own voice in the initial release with the trailer, but there was a big positive response so he put himself out there to do this longer one. So no, it's not someone who professionally sings doing it, but it's someone who deeply understands what the piece is supposed to sound like.

    Yes I know who he is, but being responsible for everything sound-related that comes out of ArenaNet it should have been his responsibility to acknowledge the lack of vocal prowess and simply hire someone else to do it.

    Again, I am not complaining about his willingness to comply with a request, just the fact that it was, in my honest opinion, very poorly done. The only reason why someone might have reacted positively to this rendition is because they have nostalgic memories of "Fear not this night". And that's even Soule, not Diemer.

  • RoseofGilead.8907RoseofGilead.8907 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2018

    @holodoc.5748 said:

    @Donari.5237 said:
    You do understand that it's the composer doing the singing, right? He wasn't comfortable with his own voice in the initial release with the trailer, but there was a big positive response so he put himself out there to do this longer one. So no, it's not someone who professionally sings doing it, but it's someone who deeply understands what the piece is supposed to sound like.

    Yes I know who he is, but being responsible for everything sound-related that comes out of ArenaNet it should have been his responsibility to acknowledge the lack of vocal prowess and simply hire someone else to do it.

    He has acknowledged his "lack of vocal prowess", particularly when people first started asking for a full version of the snippet we got in that LS trailer. People still wanted to hear more of his take on it, and he was kind enough to give us that. I, personally, think he's a better singer than he gives himself credit for. Indeed, it's not perfect as far as diction, tone, breath support, and all that go; it's also clear that his forte is not vocal performance. However, for me, it's the right kind of sound for this more menacing version of the song, and I think any "faults" in the quality of the vocal performance enhance the overall effect of the piece. Plus, I'm sure it was cheaper and easier to get him to record it than to hire someone else to do it. ;)

    Oh look. I have a signature now.

  • Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭

    I prefer the original - the lead vocal in this version is terrible at times, and the electronic "orchestra" can't compete with a real acoustic one.

  • Plautze.6290Plautze.6290 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2018

    I can say nothing but thank you ANet, and thank you Mr. Diemer and Ms. Isaacson, for recording this full version! From the very first second, I got chills all over again. But somehow, I feel that the duet part lifts the spirits too much... the shorter version felt more dark and twisted. Yet I understand that there needs to be some resemblance to the original. The ending, however, brings back the picture of a bug crawling over the screen =)

    An amazing piece of music! The myth of Mr. Diemer's "lack of vocal prowess" has been officially busted, especially when he hits that climax!
    Leaving your comfort zone and doing something you're not perfectly comfortable with only to meet the heart-felt requests of your community is kind of a heroic act. Thank you, thank you, thank you, Maclaine Diemer! (And of course, thank you ANet!)

    The Sun Has Risen For This One.

    Rohan Blackraven | Allister Mortis | Kareem Aqbar | Mindblower Torxx

  • Cregath.7628Cregath.7628 Member ✭✭✭

    I've felt a chill run down my spine at the intro. It was just perfect. I hope to hear this during the Living World Season. It would be great if used at the right moment. Obviously, he is not a singer and I guess it was intended to only appear in that trailer once, but he still took the effort with the other guys in there to make this. I think that gesture of sorts is nice.
    The tone of the song is what makes this better for me than the original. The original tries to fill the listener with hope and such. It keeps telling you how great things will be. This version however... it has a much darker tone. It makes things seem a lot bleaker and hopeless. But since the lyrics are almost the same it makes you feel like there is still a slight hope, but that's it. And this is exactly why the last two lines are so powerful in the song.

    "Who needs the light?
    Fear not this night."

    As if saying that we don't need hope. We just need to get used to the situation and accept it as it is. Because sometimes, we have to accept reality and stop fighting it to be able to get anywhere.
    Overall, this is why I like it more than the original. Good Work, Maclaine!

    Praise Joko!

  • Llethander.3972Llethander.3972 Member ✭✭✭

    Sounds amazing. I still prefer the original, though they are both great in their own ways.

  • I really appreciate the attempt at making a new version :)

    Not my personal cup of tea, kind of reminds me of a lonely teenager trying his best to be really edgy.
    I can totally see what the intention was, but doesn't have the 'magic' for me.

    I guess I just really enjoy the classic 'operatic and strings' kinda thing.

  • Batel.9206Batel.9206 Member ✭✭✭

    Holy kitten! This is AMAZING!!

    Thank you so, SO much for creating the full version!

    fear not this night
    you will not go astray

  • Ardenwolfe.8590Ardenwolfe.8590 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @eduardo.1436 said:
    Love this song! :heart: This better show up in the Season4 finale trailer :wink:

    Agreed. I don't care what the one detractor here says. It's amazing. Amazing.

    No longer posting or playing.

  • Ardenwolfe.8590Ardenwolfe.8590 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Arden.7480 said:

    @Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

    @Orpheal.8263 said:
    Beats in no way the original, sorry

    The original catched an emotional moment, that this remix never can do the same

    Don't apologize! :) Not everyone loves everything, and it was awesome to get to deliver something that so many people wanted. It's been great the past few hours to see everyone's excitement--and for those who don't care for it the original still exists!

    And I thought nothing can beat it XDDDDD You're awesome, ANet!

    Oh . . . my. Well . . . that was . . . different.

    No longer posting or playing.

  • Plautze.6290Plautze.6290 Member ✭✭✭

    @Ardenwolfe.8590 said:

    @Arden.7480 said:

    @Rubi Bayer.8493 said:

    @Orpheal.8263 said:
    Beats in no way the original, sorry

    The original catched an emotional moment, that this remix never can do the same

    Don't apologize! :) Not everyone loves everything, and it was awesome to get to deliver something that so many people wanted. It's been great the past few hours to see everyone's excitement--and for those who don't care for it the original still exists!

    And I thought nothing can beat it XDDDDD You're awesome, ANet!

    Oh . . . my. Well . . . that was . . . different.

    =) thanks for the good laugh!

    Rohan Blackraven | Allister Mortis | Kareem Aqbar | Mindblower Torxx

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.