Noxious Pods

@Mini Crinny.6190 said:Is there any reason as to why this isn't available for purchase for your Home Instance? Because i would love to have this along with my Airship Cargo, Exalted Chest and Crystallized Supply Cache

ANet's never addressed the question publicly, although it's been asked a couple of dozen times.

added: for what it's worth, I agree with @starlinvf.1358 below: with few uses for Crystalline Ore, adding a passive source for it would undermine reasons to visit Dragon Stand.

I'm willing to bet its because they want Crystalline Ore to be tied to Dragon stand, so people will continue to play it. The items made by crystalline ore don't require a lot in comparison to other crafting recipes. If it awarded even 5 per day (which is low relative to what the other chests output), within 50 days you'd passively gain enough to craft a Gen 2 Legendary. While the number sounds like a lot, when you have nothing to spend them on at the moment, they pile up quick.

Meh ... you can go into any random DS once a week and still manage to get more than opening the home instance pod once a day.

Wouldn't make much difference one way or the other if it is for crystalline ore. It would probably have a much larger impact on the price of commander recipe sheets.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

@Mini Crinny.6190 said:Is there any reason as to why this isn't available for purchase for your Home Instance? Because i would love to have this along with my Airship Cargo, Exalted Chest and Crystallized Supply Cache

ANet's never addressed the question publicly, although it's been asked a couple of dozen times.

added:
for what it's worth, I agree with @starlinvf.1358 below: with few uses for Crystalline Ore, adding a passive source for it would undermine reasons to visit Dragon Stand.

Yup. This. Especially since they buffed the drops from the pods.

@Khisanth.2948 said:Meh ... you can go into any random DS once a week and still manage to get more than opening the home instance pod once a day.

Wouldn't make much difference one way or the other if it is for crystalline ore. It would probably have a much larger impact on the price of commander recipe sheets.

It makes all the difference in the world. In one case the players are playing the map. In the other they're farming the home instance. The former keeps the map alive, because it means there are always players interested in playing it and you can always find a map instance to play. The latter does not.

@Feanor.2358 said:

added:
for what it's worth, I agree with @starlinvf.1358 below: with few uses for Crystalline Ore, adding a passive source for it would undermine reasons to visit Dragon Stand.

@Khisanth.2948 said:Meh ... you can go into any random DS once a week and still manage to get more than opening the home instance pod once a day.

It makes all the difference in the world. In one case the players are
playing the map
. In the other they're farming the home instance. The former keeps the map alive, because it means there are always players interested in playing it and you can always find a map instance to play. The latter does not.

Not at all. There are pods that spawn with the map. No need to actually care about what is happening on the map.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

added:

playing the map
. In the other they're farming the home instance. The former keeps the map alive, because it means there are always players interested in playing it and you can always find a map instance to play. The latter does not.

Not at all. There are pods that spawn with the map. No need to actually care about what is happening on the map.

Why would I bother with them though? Doing the meta yields many more pods, which are easily accessible. Not to mention lots of other loot you get in the process. It's working, the players are there, playing the map all the time.

@Endless Soul.5178 said:I've never viewed home nodes as an alternative. They've always been a supplement in my mind. However, the above posts do make sense.

Agreed. It does explain a great many times. That said, I had no idea they buffed the drops from the pods.

Interesting . . . but I'd still like one for our home instance. Going on three expansions later, I think it'll be okay if one map from the first expansion has less numbers at this point.

@Feanor.2358 said:It makes all the difference in the world. In one case the players are playing the map. In the other they're farming the home instance. The former keeps the map alive, because it means there are always players interested in playing it and you can always find a map instance to play. The latter does not.

Not locking it to a timed meta and requiring the One Sacred Map Taxi to get into it would do far more for making Dragon Stand playable than refusing to input a home node. And the nodes still require machetes, so there's incentive to play the map just to get the keys to open them.

@Rauderi.8706 said:

@Feanor.2358 said:It makes all the difference in the world. In one case the players are
playing the map

Not locking it to a timed meta and requiring the One Sacred Map Taxi to get into it would do
far
more for making Dragon Stand playable than refusing to input a home node. And the nodes still require machetes, so there's incentive to play the map just to get the keys to open them.

Well, actually, you buy Machete's from a combination of the other 3 map currencies, as well as get them as a reward for doing events in DS.A Noxious Pod node would be a good addition however, the other chests haven't stopped the HoT maps from successfully filling and completing the meta, neither has the Aurillium Mining node.

@Rauderi.8706 said:

@Feanor.2358 said:It makes all the difference in the world. In one case the players are
playing the map

Not locking it to a timed meta and requiring the One Sacred Map Taxi to get into it would do
far
more for making Dragon Stand playable than refusing to input a home node. And the nodes still require machetes, so there's incentive to play the map just to get the keys to open them.

I strongly disagree. And the reason? The map IS played, a lot. I have literally not had a situation when I wanted to play it and I was not able to find a populated map. I've had some when I couldn't join, but all that says is the map is even more popular.

As for machetes, you get one daily from the Ley Energy Matter Converter. If you had a home instance node, it would consume one daily. See the problem?

@Feanor.2358 said:

playing the map

far

I strongly disagree. And the reason? The map
IS
played, a lot. I have literally not had a situation when I wanted to play it and I was not able to find a populated map. I've had some when I couldn't join, but all that says is the map is even more popular.

As for machetes, you get one daily from the Ley Energy Matter Converter. If you had a home instance node, it would consume one daily. See the problem?

It's all anecdotal, isn't it? For me, trying to get into Dragon Stand without a taxi is an absolute waste of time. So I don't go. And if you're not there right on time? No map. Maybe, maaaybe if you're lucky and enough vagrants end up on a single shard, a commander might get something started 20 minutes into the map timer. Maybe.

It's an awful design, and it should have been changed years ago. Unfortunately, there's no "metrics" ANet can reference for players who avoid doing their content because it's hideously inconvenient while Istan is significantly more rewarding. And at this point, accretion is bad enough that it won't be fixed.

@Rauderi.8706 said:

playing the map

far

I strongly disagree. And the reason? The map
IS
played, a lot. I have literally not had a situation when I wanted to play it and I was not able to find a populated map. I've had some when I couldn't join, but all that says is the map is even more popular.

It's all anecdotal, isn't it? For me, trying to get into Dragon Stand without a taxi is an absolute waste of time. So I don't go. And if you're not there right on time? No map. Maybe, maaaybe if you're lucky and enough vagrants end up on a single shard, a commander might get something started 20 minutes into the map timer. Maybe.

It's an awful design, and it should have been changed years ago. Unfortunately, there's no "metrics" ANet can reference for players who avoid doing their content because it's hideously inconvenient while Istan is significantly more rewarding. And at this point, accretion is bad enough that it won't be fixed.

What do you mean "without a taxi"? That's like saying "I'm not able to run at 130 kph on the freeway without a car". Yeah, just use one, duh...

@Khisanth.2948 said:

added:

playing the map

But your still actively engaged on the map, not just logging in farm home instance.. logout.The game is built around keeping players engaged and in game for as long as possible.By keeping you in map, you might use things like bank access, revive orbs etc etc and if your in dire need you might decide to quickly purchase something from the gemstore, you might need to get hold of some gems to do so.. its all about keeping you in game for those "what if" possibilities.

@"Feanor.2358" said:What do you mean "without a taxi"? That's like saying "I'm not able to run at 130 kph on the freeway without a car". Yeah, just use one, duh...

A. I shouldn't need to [squad, DIE, taxi] just to get into a map.B. If I'm not there right when the map cycles (actually, about 15-20 minutes before, and that's worse), it's not worth showing up. Period.

I remember doing this obnoxious grind for Astralaria. I can't even reach a count on one hand the number of times I saw a map organically start the meta.Bad design is bad and inhibitive.

@Rauderi.8706 said:

@"Feanor.2358" said:What do you mean "without a taxi"? That's like saying "I'm not able to run at 130 kph on the freeway without a car". Yeah, just use one, duh...

A. I shouldn't
need
to [squad, DIE, taxi] just to get into a map.B. If I'm not there right when the map cycles (actually, about 15-20 minutes before, and that's worse),
it's not worth showing up
. Period.

I remember doing this ob
noxious
grind for Astralaria. I can't even reach a count on one hand the number of times I saw a map organically start the meta.
Bad design is bad and inhibitive.

A. For the type of maps found in HoT, you're always better off being in a squad. That's the premise.B. I'll take the timed schedule over the random Orrian metas every time. Period.

@Feanor.2358 said:A. For the type of maps found in HoT, you're always better off being in a squad. That's the premise.B. I'll take the timed schedule over the random Orrian metas every time. Period.

A. Intent =/= How players use it. It's faulty, but not so game-breaking as to be considered a priority. There aren't enough new players to be confused by it to make a stink about it.

B. Truth to that! I much prefer more player-driven methods like Silverwastes. Though, for Dragon Stand, I would actually recommend a very simple change: the map timer doesn't start until the players trigger the first events. That's it. Don't time the map until the camps are full. Then there wouldn't need to be taxis to get to a guaranteed map right at map reset. And to keep map hopping in check, lock out new joins at the final towers. Boom, vastly improved.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:added: for what it's worth, I agree with @"starlinvf.1358" below: with few uses for Crystalline Ore, adding a passive source for it would undermine reasons to visit Dragon Stand.

Wait, what? Few uses? There seem to be a ton of uses for it:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Crystalline_Ore

If you want to unlock the full set of Crystalline/Tenebrous weapon skins, it's 40 ore per recipe (640 for the whole set). If you want to unlock the full set of Ornate armors, it's another 40 ore per recipe (720 for all 6 armors x 3 weights). If you want to unlock the 9 HoT specialty ascended weapons, it's another 50 for each inscription (450 for the whole set). If you want to buy the special guild minis, it's 50 to 150 for each of those (1150 for the whole set). Beyond that, there are other recipes costing between 10 to 125 each.

My attempts to farm crystalline ore in DS have been disappointing at best. Maybe it's the fickle RNG, but thus far I've struggled to amass enough to buy 1 crystalline/tenebrous weapon skin and 4 of the HoT specialty weapons. And that includes buying the 3 per day from the guild trader everytime Crystalline Ore is offered as an option which is relatively rare. I would welcome another source for these, since right now it is just too rare for all the stuff gated behind it.

@Kalendraf.9521 said:Wait, what? Few uses? There seem to be a ton of uses for it:https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Crystalline_OreAh, you're right.I completely overlooked all the guild hall uses, because... well, I simply could never imagine spending the time to pursue them. I shouldn't have been so quick to assume it inconceivable that someone might want to.

@Kalendraf.9521 said:My attempts to farm crystalline ore in DS have been disappointing at best. Maybe it's the fickle RNG,How are you going about farming?

It's not guaranteed per pod, but it's fairly regular. You won't get much without being present after the meta succeeds. If you are, there should be enough pods so that you can get 50 minimum ore even if you can't find all the chests, and 70-100 per meta if you can. It would be extremely unusual to see fewer than 50 ore from 50 pods.

The meta itself won't give you c-ore in bulk; you have to open lots of pods (with lots of machetes).

Archived