Which specialization is for ranged combat / Hammer?

Nyel.1843

Can somebody tell me? I like using the Hammer but is there no skill line that's got some Hammer traits? Every other class has skill lines dedicated to distinct weapon types but somehow it's missing on my Revenant? I am just level 15 so don't judge me but I am a bit confused and really don't know how to build my Revenant yet.

With most other classes it's quite obvious which skill line benefits which weapon and vice versa but either the Revenant lacks a clear direction or I am missing something (if so please enlighten me).

Is it supposed to be Retribution and Jalis? But there's like nothing for DPS?

And what exactly is an "upkeep" skill? Something like "Vengeful Hammers"?

@"Nyel.1843" said:Can somebody tell me? I like using the Hammer but is there no skill line that's got some Hammer traits? Every other class has skill lines dedicated to distinct weapon types but somehow it's missing on my Revenant? I am just level 15 so don't judge me but I am a bit confused and really don't know how to build my Revenant yet.

With most other classes it's quite obvious which skill line benefits which weapon and vice versa but either the Revenant lacks a clear direction or I am missing something (if so please enlighten me).

Currently there are no specializations that improve the hammer. For ranged combat, the only option you've got is the Renegade specialization because it gives you access to the shortbow, the only weapon the Revenant has for ranged combat.

I'll be brief and dive straight to the point: Upkeep skills are skills that can be used indefinitely similar to the thief, but once the number goes below 0%, you can't use those skills in the stance you're currently in. The only way to regenerate those skills is to switch to a different stance.

So the Hammer as a "basic" ranged weapon for Revenant has almost zero traits improving it? What if I don't own PoF (I do but the lack of Hammer related traits is beyond me)? So the Hammer is mostly useless?

Vengeful Hammers is an upkeep skill then? Or can you name me a Revenant upkeep skill?

@"Nyel.1843" said:Can somebody tell me? I like using the Hammer but is there no skill line that's got some Hammer traits? Every other class has skill lines dedicated to distinct weapon types but somehow it's missing on my Revenant? I am just level 15 so don't judge me but I am a bit confused and really don't know how to build my Revenant yet.

Rev dps traits don't really focus on specific weapons (aside from swords) and instead apply broad damage modifiers... And a lot of traits generate Might, which--once again--benefits any weapon.

But to reeeeeaaally simplify it tho:

Devastation = Power dps/Life Steal (Shiro/Jalis/Sword must have)Corruption = Condi dps (Mallyx)Salvation = Healing (Ventari)Invocation = Utility/General Damage/General Survivability/Legend Management (All Builds)Retribution = Damage Reduction (Not usually worth taking)

If you're playing by yourself, there is almost no build where you wouldn't want Invocation... So you usually will take your elite, invo, and then whichever one of the other three fits the role you're aiming for... Things change a bit in organized groups and lots of builds will drop Invocation in favor of more group utility, but at level 15, that's not something that you need to worry about yet. If it was me, I would train Invocation, Devastation, and Retribution in that order for leveling 1-79, as it's much faster to do so in a power build than a condi one.

Jalis and the retribution trait line were supposed to be related to hammer for lore reasons however for actual gameplay, there is pretty much no synergy between them. With hammer just run devastation, invocation, herald for the most damage modifiers, and access to glint for good boon access. Also an upkeep skill is any skill that is a toggle which drains energy over time instead of all at once, so yes vengeful hammers is an upkeep along with embrace the darkness, impossible odds, protective solace, soulcleave's summit, and all the glint facets when generating boons.

Archived