What is the dev's vision for each profession?...They should come and tell us

Honestly...what each profession represent for the devs? I'd like to know and I think the whole community would like to know also. Their decisions, their balance doesn't seem to be very consistent or clear enough :

1) They talk about roles for each profession....then balance couple of professions to be great in several roles at the same time2) They state their wish is to see each profession being at least "viable" in every game mode....but that's hardly true, instead it get worst and worst with each passing expansion3) They swear all professions are played in the office in a bid to have the best possible set of changes.......then we see changes that scream BIAS

The truth is...I think the current game is nothing more than a personal playground for the devs, like dunno...a skyrim player modding the game to give god powers to his character, I see the current game in the same vein.

@"Arheundel.6451" said:Honestly...what each profession represent for the devs? I'd like to know and I think the whole community would like to know also. Their decisions, their balance doesn't seem to be very consistent or clear enough :

1) They talk about roles for each profession....then balance couple of professions to be great in several roles at the same time2) They state their wish is to see each profession being at least "viable" in every game mode....but that's hardly true, instead it get worst and worst with each passing expansion3) They swear all professions are played in the office in a bid to have the best possible set of changes.......then we see changes that scream BIAS

The truth is...I think the current game is nothing more than a personal playground for the devs, like dunno...a skyrim player modding the game to give god powers to his character, I see the current game in the same vein.

1. I think part of the reason their vision doesn't seem clear is because not every dev has the same depth of knowledge about each of the professions. For example, we know that several of the devs main Guardian and Mesmer, and it shows because these professions overall have fewer problems to contend with. This is also why engineer and rev tend to get left out, as I don't believe any dev mains these two professions.
  2. Part of the problem seems to be the resources (time + money) the team has to devote to balance. The balance devs seem to only have enough resources to focus on one or two specs per balance patch, and it seems like the balance patch on Tuesday is aimed at Deadeye.
  3. It's nearly impossible to predict the interactions and metas that will arise out of an expansion. They have to release it into the wild to find the outliers. The problem, as far as I can tell, is that they don't respond quickly enough to outliers after a release. Instead, we had to wait nearly 6 months for scourge to get tapped down to a more reasonable level.
  4. They shot themselves in the foot with having to balance over 3 different games modes -- PvE, PvP, and WvW. Most other games only have PvE and PvP, so they added an extra layer of difficulty on top of what most MMOs have. If WvW had instead been larger sPvP maps (like Alterac Valley in WoW), they might have spared themselves some of the trouble.

@Arheundel.6451 said:Honestly...what each profession represent for the devs? I'd like to know and I think the whole community would like to know also. Their decisions, their balance doesn't seem to be very consistent or clear enough

Some of the developers favor professions like Guardian, Thief, Elementalist and it's why you see that all those professions have viable core builds while having viable elite builds that are sidegrades rather than upgrades.

This isn't the case for professions like the Revenant and Engineer. Those professions have been given little to no attention and the developers just never seem to put into consideration of improving them. The elite specializations far outweigh the core specializations on these two professions, hence why you don't see a lot of core Revenants or Engineers in PvP, WvW or even in PvE.

Only very recently the Engineers' Tool Kit has been buffed, by reducing the cooldown on two skills: Box of Nails and Magnet. While I appreciate these kinds of buffs to core Engineer, it also makes me sad that the buffs are so miniscule that it barely counts as a buff to a profession that is struggling to compete with their elite counterpart.

Archived