Most enjoyable core profession?

XxTunasXp.6397

I'd note that your poll is going to give you a subset of opinions, from a subset of players, far, far different from anything to do with the actual game. Might as well just roll a random number generator... or just look at the favored classes on metabattle and friends, and find out what doesn't have hated core-ish builds.

Voted Ranger, but it's a bit of a toss-up really.For PVE, especially open-worldYou could build a Ranger with Soulbeast builds, and lose only a bit of damage from better utilities and beast-form only.Thief P/P is still quite fun, and, for now, it's one of the best DE builts, and honestly DE doesn't bring much to the table for it.Guardian is a very solid profession and one of the better balanced, you can adapt quite well the power DH built to a core Guardian. You'll lose the damage from traps, obviously, but it's still very solid.Core Power Mesmer is supposedly also in a good spot atm, as will be a power Ele.

Do keep in mind, though, that for the most part core professions regardless of which is the best one will still be behind their Elite Spec counterparts. Simply because Elite Specializations are usually more specialized, hence they work better with their intended damage types.

Either warrior or thief for me. Ranger is also good, only problem is condition gear is harder to acquire for a new player who only has access to core content. Core warrior I run Str/Dpl/Def with axe/axe and I find it provides the best balance between survivability and dmg and its the build I run banners with in T4 fractals. Thief P/P with CS/DA/Tr is also good esp for a new player. Take invigorating precision in CS and signet of malice which heals with every bullet from unload for very good survivability. The reason why I voted warrior is because you can run a class that is very close to meta and is core, only drawback is range options are limited.

@eldrjth.7384 said:Either warrior or thief for me. Ranger is also good, only problem is condition gear is harder to acquire for a new player who only has access to core content. Core warrior I run Str/Dpl/Def with axe/axe and I find it provides the best balance between survivability and dmg and its the build I run banners with in T4 fractals. Thief P/P with CS/DA/Tr is also good esp for a new player. Take invigorating precision in CS and signet of malice which heals with every bullet from unload for very good survivability. The reason why I voted warrior is because you can run a class that is very close to meta and is core, only drawback is range options are limited.

Yeah With Core Warrior you can pretty much do the same build as the snowcrows meta Raid build for Spellbreaker, with a minimal DPS loss.You can get decent Condi gear from Silverwastes and Dry top: Sinisters, but it'll take a while to get it all, since it's time gated (needs quartz crystals), you'll also need to either farm a lot of bandit chests or champions for the recipe books, or buy them from the TP. Also it's bound on acquire (Ascended and Exotics) so you'll need to craft it.

Static Discharge Engi whilst not the strongest of the core professions, is certainly one of the most enjoyable.

@SlippyCheeze.5483 said:

I'd note that your poll is going to give you a subset of opinions, from a subset of players, far, far different from anything to do with the actual game. Might as well just roll a random number generator... or just look at the favored classes on metabattle and friends, and find out what doesn't have hated core-ish builds.Ofc man, it is a subjective question, different people enjoy different things.

@XxTunasXp.6397 said:Interested to see what you guys think!

Engineer hands down. That is not only the most enjoyable, but the most rewarding profession in Guild Wars 2. The engineer has the reputation of being the most difficult adventurer profession, if not the most difficult profession in general. The amount of things you've got to consider with the engineer is ridiculous: kiting with grenades, access to every combo field in the game, zone control with bombs, team support with the Elixir Gun, bunkering with turrets etc. Back in my day, a good core engineer was the most dangerous profession of them all. Before any elite specializations, if a core engineer knew how to use kits effectively, they could potentially dominate almost every profession. It's a profession that has a little bit of everything so it's more of a Jack of all trades, master of none type of profession.

Sadly, with the release of Path of Fire, the Holosmith has basically replaced the engineer. I'm just going to say this out loud: I don't like the Holosmith. I know, shocker, a core power engineer doesn't like the fancy new specialization, but there's a good reason for why I don't like it. I like the Scrapper just fine as it's a viable sidegrade to core engineer, but the Holosmith on the other hand isn't a sidegrade, but rather an upgrade due to it being an easy to play, glass cannon specialization with too much sustain to even be called a glass cannon. It's a specialization that spits on the face of the engineers' reputation, it takes the skill cap away from the profession, stomps in on the ground with no respect and just does whatever it wants.

The Holosmith is a glass cannon specialization with too much sustain. because it can use healing skills and utility skills while in Photon Forge. If the Holosmith wasn't able to use those skills, then I would be fine with it. In its' current state, that's not the case. Photon Forge in my opinion should be changed so that you can't use those skills while in that form, similar to the necromancers' Shroud form. Now, I know this may seem like a huge nerf, but quite frankly I don't care. Core engineer has been neglected for a very long time and ArenaNet doesn't do anything to buff the profession in order to compete with the Holosmith.

Like the Revenant, core engineer is struggling to gain back the popularity it had. Famous engineers include Jebro, Chaith, Teldo and even the legendary Yishis (R.I.P. Yishis, no, he's not literally dead) have amazed everyone with their skill in the profession as core engineers and it saddens me being pretty much the only core engineer playing that profession in ranked PvP. I've managed to get to Gold 3 rank after placement matches as a core power engineer and before anyone laughs at that and says that's not impressive, I dare you. In fact I double dare you to play core power engineer and get to that rank. You whippersnappers seem to think it's easy to play core engineer. Guess what: it isn't.

I'm a warrior at heart. I hit 80 the first time, and learned the game, on ranger but I didn't feel satisfied. I rolled a warrior next and never looked back. Don't get me wrong, I have an 80 in every profession. However, I have never been as satisfied playing anything else. Although, to be fair, guardian comes a close second.

Since this is all opinion based I can be as subjective as I want.

For me that would be engineer. I really love their kits and how they have such a unique way to play. I've done more builds on core engineer than even my main. Unfortunately this doesn't translate well to their elite specializations. Scrapper is cool but needs something else to get me to love it. I was hoping the gyros(sandwiches) would feel more like a protective spirit ritualist from GW1 but I didn't get that. Which was sad. Holosmith is cool but it again doesn't quite fit that ritualist style the devs said engineer would fill. Still it's core is my personal pick. If action camera existed when I started gw2 engineer would likely be my main now. But I settled into necromancer because of the false promise of what I loved in gw1 and only slightly got in scourge.

Love my Engineer main but, if this poll is based on lower frustration factor across modes, then Warrior core is one of the few professions which, by comparison to the rest, still has most of the tools it needs to hold up against elite spec power creep. Is it perfect? by no means, but you won't feel nearly as crippled as others and there's a deeper weapon selection for just about any style you want to play.

Archived