Suggestion: Fishing in the Game [merged] - Page 3 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Suggestion: Fishing in the Game [merged]

13>

Comments

• Medavc.3017Medavc.3017 Member ✭✭

@artemis.6781 said:

@Alga.6498 said:
    Wasn't there a fishing event in Sandswept Isles? I never figure out how to trigger and start the event but it did get removed, right?

Yes there was one, but last I knew, they disabled it??

I think there is some where i think it was glitched for a while then they had it fixed from what I have heard.so they have a basic concept for it if they could just expand on it some it woudl be great

• Tenna Tulre.2076Tenna Tulre.2076 Member ✭✭
    edited July 12, 2018

@Medavc.3017 said:

@artemis.6781 said:

@Alga.6498 said:
    Wasn't there a fishing event in Sandswept Isles? I never figure out how to trigger and start the event but it did get removed, right?

Yes there was one, but last I knew, they disabled it??

I think there is some where i think it was glitched for a while then they had it fixed from what I have heard.so they have a basic concept for it if they could just expand on it some it woudl be great

It is back in as of a few weeks ago, but I had never figured out how to trigger it. However it seems half the time I am there the event is underway and has been a lot of fun, especially if you have a group of people there coordinated (half harpoon the fish and the other half catch and run it to a basket). Supposedly that was the event that aNet wanted to extend into the rest of Tyria. It is fun as long as there are other players around to assist. I have been there alone however when the event has spawned and tried it solo - and it is hard to coordinate it that way.

Edit: Found information in the Wiki on the event, and it is a reward for successful completion of the map's meta event. Which before the glitch and fix, I think that it was triggered independently from the map meta. I would hope that if fishing was implemented in game it would not be dependent on a map meta in order to be useful, especially given the fact it can be integrated into other areas of the game.

• artemis.6781artemis.6781 Member ✭✭✭

You know, fishing could become a gold and material sink. We could make fishing poles out of green wood, lines out of jute, hooks out of silver or gold. Maybe buy worms with gold. Or we could dig up worms and such. It might work.

• @artemis.6781 said:
    You know, fishing could become a gold and material sink. We could make fishing poles out of green wood, lines out of jute, hooks out of silver or gold. Maybe buy worms with gold. Or we could dig up worms and such. It might work.

Oh yeah, I could see it! Different metals would produce different success rates of catching rares, like what we have with salvaging kits. Or the hooks would last for only so many casts and you'd have to manually change hooks - something that could prevent afk farmers (I'm sure there is some way that aNet can implement a captcha type of system in general for afk farming). Same with different types of poles, strings, etc....

• artemis.6781artemis.6781 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2018

@Tenna Tulre.2076 said:

@artemis.6781 said:

Oh yeah, I could see it! Different metals would produce different success rates of catching rares, like what we have with salvaging kits. Or the hooks would last for only so many casts and you'd have to manually change hooks - something that could prevent afk farmers (I'm sure there is some way that aNet can implement a captcha type of system in general for afk farming). Same with different types of poles, strings, etc....

You could AFK and fish, just put in a system that would only allow you to catch so many fish without maybe recasting? You could have maybe 5 fish that would be caught and go automatically into your basket, but then you would have to recast. I think it would be kinda cool if a little RNG was involved like your fish ate your worm but you caught nothing. So it could work with a semi AFK feature?

• Blude.6812Blude.6812 Member ✭✭✭

OP!!!! Yep you are right it has been talked about many many many many many times before. In case you might not be aware the search function works on the new forums.

• Tasida.4085Tasida.4085 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2018

I just don't understand why people keep bringing up things like fishing, housing, marriage etc just to turn GW2 into the same MMO as all the others out there. GW2 IS different from the rest and it'd be nice to retain those little differences. If they did bring in fishing at least make it totally no profit account bound EVERYTHING. That way you wont have bots and afkers farming gold around the ol' fishing hole.....ijs. Prolly wouldn't see many people fishing either LOL

(NOBL) rocking GW's since 2005, still rocking Sorrow's Furnace :P

• juhani.5361juhani.5361 Member ✭✭✭

So long as there's a Torchlight 2-ish dynamite function, you've got my thumbs up ;)

• @Tasida.4085 said:
    I just don't understand why people keep bringing up things like fishing, housing, marriage etc just to turn GW2 into the same MMO as all the others out there. GW2 IS different from the rest and it'd be nice to retain those little differences. If they did bring in fishing at least make it totally no profit account bound EVERYTHING. That way you wont have bots and afkers farming gold around the ol' fishing hole.....ijs. Prolly wouldn't see many people fishing either LOL

People said the same thing about mounts (myself included) and Anet managed to turn them into something unique for GW2. So if they did decide to add these things, it'd mean they figured out a way to make it special and useful for their game and it's players. Bots could be a potential issue but, depending on how the system is implemented players might not feel the need to use bots at all.

• The Greyhawk.9107The Greyhawk.9107 Member ✭✭✭

Not a fan, the only time I've liked fishing in a video game was in Warframe of all places...hell, clone that and I'll give it a try. But otherwise its really not worth the work to implement it.

Hate Is Fuel.

• aspirine.6852aspirine.6852 Member ✭✭✭

Sounds like an afk thing. And this game does not need those kind of events.

• Medavc.3017Medavc.3017 Member ✭✭
    edited July 12, 2018

Well as much as you all want to shoot the idea down might not be a bad idea to look at it a bit more.as one person said people said same thing about mounts.just because you can not grasp what others are wanting in game and right out of the gate think it so bad or a afk thing for people.well all i can say is i do not think your looking down the long road on the idea.your fast to condemn a idea if it does not fit into your perfect ideals.those of you who protest it so much on so many fronts also should look at the other side of the coin not everyone thinks it such a bad idea to put into the game.
    there are many aspect of this idea that could benift both players and the company it self alike.maybe not everyone has endless time to play the game all the time but would like something to just relax.that is the thing behind wanting fishing relaxing enjoying the game or is that a crime in this day and age.but with that said i care less if you want to shoot holes in the idea go ahead knock your self out but it will not stop the fact i will continue to post on the subject eventually someone some dev some one will see it and maybe spark a idea to put something in.if they do not o well i cna say i at least tried to spark the idea for the community.

• Tasida.4085Tasida.4085 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2018

I, too was against mounts before they brought them in which quickly changed my outlook on them to good. But WHY do people try and make a gr8 game into the same MMO as all the others? The devs said at launch they wanted GW2 to be different from other MMO's and it is. And players want to turn it into the SAME OLD TIRED game by bringing in all the common stuff. And if ANET does, I'm still about make EVERYTHING concerning it, account bound, no profit anywhere. Then you pro fishing etc. people can fish to your hearts content, and there won't be any bots or afkers farming it. Works for both sides imo.

(NOBL) rocking GW's since 2005, still rocking Sorrow's Furnace :P

• Randulf.7614Randulf.7614 Member ✭✭✭✭

Yes to fishing

What sleep is here? What dreams there are in the unctuous coiling of the snakes mortal shuffling. weapon in my hand. My hand the arcing deathblow at the end of all things. The horror. The horror. I embrace it. . .

• Rauderi.8706Rauderi.8706 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2018

@artemis.6781 said:

@killermanjaro.5670 said:
    I'll always back fishing, I've often found fishing enjoyable as a minigame in RPGS in the past, could give the option to open up more cooking recipes too. Plus with the way eles keep getting nerfed out of existence it'll probably be one of the few things my character will actually still be able to do lol.

Yes I can see fishing coming along with the classic Anet FUBAR. There will be only one fishing hole that you need a special mount to get to. It will be locked behind some series of metas that have to fail and only available between 0001-0032 server time.

...Quoted for truth.

And how long before the Royal Mistlock Lily of Cantha Fishing Terrace Pass (2 weeks)?
    Or the Super Rare .01% Fish that most players won't ever get because RNGsus hates them?
    Or the added inventory bloat from carrying around a billion different fish? ( Looking at YOU, Final Fantasy XIV... )
    Or the bot farmers on a wait-and-click minigame?

@artemis.6781 said:

I feel like there's definitely a place for a Skritt Jewelcrafting recipe vendor that sells Silver Shiny Lure and Gold Shiny Lure plans. :p

Of course, with the ANet pattern:
    Fishing Poles made out of Spiritwood Planks, lines out of Elonian Leather or Damask....
    And instead of worms, we use Spirit Shards! (Please?)

@juhani.5361 said:
    So long as there's a Torchlight 2-ish dynamite function, you've got my thumbs up ;)

That'll be later in the Mastery tree~

Many alts! Handle it!

"A condescending answer might as well not be an answer at all."
    -Eloc Freidon.5692

• PyrateSilly.4710PyrateSilly.4710 Member ✭✭✭

ANet has talked about fishing in the past. At one point they had said something about wanting to add fishing and they would then add some recipes to get the cooking up to 500. No I can't find that post anymore as that was shortly after GW2 came out so I cannot remember which dev said/typed it. I have not heard them talking all that much about it since so I am not sure if there is a problem with adding it or if it was maybe something they put on the back burner for now. Thou with all the underwater stuff coming out ....... who knows .....

• Dreadshow.9320Dreadshow.9320 Member ✭✭✭

But we already have fishing. It's spear, trident or harpoon fishing but it's fishing non the less. May be where you're from the most popular form of fishing is rod cast reel fishing but in other part of the world spear fishing is much more popular and it's a great sport. There is also net fishing and trap fishing but it's mainly use as industrial fishing and not much of a sport.

• MithranArkanere.8957MithranArkanere.8957 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 12, 2018

@Rauderi.8706 said:
    Said it before, I'll say it again:
    No fishing unless it's as awesome as FFXV's. Active, skill-based.
    If folks just want another cast and click, there's WoW et al for that.

I'm on that camp too. I'm totally against AFK fishing. I can only accept fishing if it's an active minigame.

As I see it, the best way to have Fishing could be with masteries, along a rework on gathering, which could include things like hunting ranges were you can kill game daily to fill a bar over your head and earn a leather bonus and put traps to come the next day and see what was caught there; fishing ranges where you can kill large fish underwater with underwater skills to fill a similar bar and earn daily bonus rewards, but also use fishing rods on the edge of the water, or while riding your skimmer, to catch fish that can't be caught with 'spear fishing', and an overall rework of gathering nodes to encourage exploration over loading the same map in the same spot with multiple characters, by making nodes account-wide, but making them build up materials over each login, up to 28 times the materials you get now by gathering daily. So the nodes you haven't visited for a long time would have more materials that nodes you gather every day.
    Maybe even have a separate gathering panel that is account bound, where players can see equipped gathering tools, trap kits, fishing rods, stats on gathering and info on how much we have depleted the resources of each region.
    Skins for tools could go in the wardrobe, selected individually per character, covering the visuals of the tools equipped in the account-wide panel, so players no longer need to have any qualms about buying all skins for tools since they'd be able to use them all without having to have a full set of tools for each.

Fishing with rods in particular should be a minigame, preferably with a mastery that only gets exp from fishing, that you slowly progress to unlock new fishing skills. There could also be a side-progress with bait recipes you unlock by catching fish and bringing proof of your catches to fishing masters. As you unlock new skills, you are able to counter the 'techniques' of stronger fish, and that allows you to learn and craft new baits to catch even stronger fish.
    Bait could be crafted with cooking, and cooking could extend to level 500 for the epic baits required to catch legendary fish.
    Your fishing skills could be in slots 1 to 5, while the different types of bait could be selected with skills in in slots 6 to 0.
    There could even be fishing rod skins, with flashy gemstore exclusives, but at leas some earnable and craftable by players.

And there could be also collections of fish, one per region, like "Fish of Kryta", "Fish of Maguuma", "Fish of the Heart of Maguuma and the Maguuma Wastes" or "Fish of the Desert" (including lad fish like land sharks and land eels). And completing each collection could have rewards like titles and recipes to craft mounted fish guild hall and housing decorations or fishing rod skins.
    It could be even better if it was possible to make the descriptions of fish in collections dynamic, to include the size of the largest fish ever caught of that type. So you could go to the Krytan collection, hover your mouse over the icon of a fish in the collection, and you'd read something like "Krytan Marsh Trout: 10Kg."

• And for everyone who is saying that if people want fishing to go back to WoW:

Every game that I know of that has decent fishing in it is locked behind a subscription. I've played GW2 since its beta, and have for many many years loved the lack of a subscription fee. A fishing license in my state costs me $10 for a year - why would I pay the same to WoW, a game I found boring and could barely play for a year save for the help of friends in my guild to keep it interesting, when I still am amazed daily by what I come across in GW2? There's a reason I've played this game daily for over six years now. And while I do love to fish in real life, I am far too concerned about the environmental impacts of overfishing in general (as well as water pollution and its effects on the fish) to even go fishing or maintain the gear and license needed for it.

I admit that I was wary about mounts, but now that we do have them, they have added an amazing level of interaction to the game. We saw how aNet developed them and they did turn them into something special. I would love to see what they could do to basic fishing. And while I grew up using rod and reel from either shoreline or a small boat, others have mentioned other ways of fishing as well. Even if they could get the current event to work throughout Tyria, it would be a start.

• Well there is this

In one of the tweets below she said

Angelique vd Mee
    @AvanderMeeArt Jul 6
    Thank you for the compliment, it means a lot! There is lots of opportunities to wear it in the project i'm doing, there's even fishing for those of you that don't know it 😁 It's just made up of little things that I would think the community would enjoy.

Be careful what you ask for
    ANet might give it to you.

Forum Guides: Images. Text

• Yes to fishing! Make it so Number 1. :)

• Yes to fishing i've its done like in far cry 5. Fishing like BDO no thanks. But i really really love fishing in Far Cry 5 its so well done.

• juhani.5361juhani.5361 Member ✭✭✭

@Rauderi.8706 said:

@juhani.5361 said:

That'll be later in the Mastery tree~

Urgh. More potential for masteries... Then again, dynamiting fishing holes was a lot of fun.

• I still have a fishing trauma from Metin2, help me

Oh did I hurt your precious feelings? My deepest apologies.

• Farming gold while fishing could be fun with a dedicated map for it maybe. Say like a Elona or Cantha bread basket of Tyria map.

• Rauderi.8706Rauderi.8706 Member ✭✭✭✭

...Pfft, I just had an idea to make WvW defenses useful.
    Add fishing, and make Cooking (500) a way to cook up reward/xp potions. (Or even, more rarely: supply or war score)
    Imagine "sneaking" into a camp to turn it over when 3 bored fishermen look back and aggro the poor sod into oblivion. :P

Many alts! Handle it!

"A condescending answer might as well not be an answer at all."
    -Eloc Freidon.5692

• trixantea.1230trixantea.1230 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 13, 2018

The best fishing experience I had in a video game was in Ocarina of Time. I hope Anet could implement something similar in the next expansion.

• DeanBB.4268DeanBB.4268 Member ✭✭✭

I'm okay with fishing, so long as Anet gives the option to stroll by and lob in a stick of dynamite, collect the spoils, and carry on.

A Diablo-esque game I've played had that. Much better than sitting around waiting for the fishing pole to twitch so I can click a button.

X__________________________
    (Signature Required)

• ANet plz bring fishing or I bring death.
    But srsly, are there any plans for implementing fishing? I'm a huge fan of this profession and in every RPG I play I just have to do it <3 . I just love how fishing was made in Archeage where it wasn't just a nuisance but a good way to spend free time and earn some extra gold. I believe that a good time to bring fishing to the game is with the content with the Deep Sea Dragon (if that's ever to be made). I'm guessing that I'm not the only one waiting for this. :'(
    Also I think that I should mention that "My old man is a fishing fanatic..."

• Please no. Adding boring real world activities to in-game leads to boring in-game activities. Either they do it well and waste a ton of resources on a 'mini game' that ultimately has little to no bearing on the game, or do it poorly and its just farmed to death by bots.

• Donari.5237Donari.5237 Member ✭✭✭✭

There has been many a thread on this over the years. Gist of my usual response:

Ok if it's like any other node gather, run up and do a short animation for fish retrieval.
    Not ok if you have to keep your mouse hovering ready to click on a random spot at a random time. That helps stop bots but it also stops (me) doing anything else, looking at anything else, typing to anyone, doing anything but focusing on the fishing interaction for 20-30 seconds at a time, which is long enough to have my attention wander into boredom. Even worse if there are time limited buffs that increase your fish rewards so you have to cast as often as possible without taking breaks.
    Ok if ANet comes up with another of their amazing spins on MMO standard fare and makes it a fun, interruptible activity in a way I can't imagine because I'm not a game designer.

• Healix.5819Healix.5819 Member ✭✭✭✭

Fishing was something they've always wanted to add, had originally planned for and occasionally teased over the years, but were never actually given the okay to implement it. If they ever get around to it, don't expect it to be like other games because ArenaNet always wants to put their own twist on the usual formula; expect it to be action-oriented at the very least. The underwater expansion would be the most likely time to implement it, and probably its last chance, but they'd likely do underwater spear fishing or something involving underwater mounts rather than basic pole fishing.

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

@forthal.7423 said:
    ANet plz bring fishing or I bring death.
    But srsly, are there any plans for implementing fishing? I'm a huge fan of this profession and in every RPG I play I just have to do it <3 . I just love how fishing was made in Archeage where it wasn't just a nuisance but a good way to spend free time and earn some extra gold. I believe that a good time to bring fishing to the game is with the content with the Deep Sea Dragon (if that's ever to be made). I'm guessing that I'm not the only one waiting for this. :'(
    Also I think that I should mention that "My old man is a fishing fanatic..."

Please utilize the forums search function so that threads aren't duplicated.

https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/61136/fishing-incoming-you-cant-deny-the-proof
    https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/47632/discussion-about-fishing-in-game
    https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/38956/fishing-who-wants-to-go-on-a-fishing-trip
    https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/29357/fishing-ideas

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• notebene.3190notebene.3190 Member ✭✭✭✭

I'd fish.

I'm assuming they'd do fishing like they did mounts. It would be end up pretty fun. :)

In the event I don't get a chance, thank you all for the company and help when I needed it from time to time.

• I'd enjoy fishing; as noted above, I'm sure ArenaNet's spin on it would be engaging.

• DeanBB.4268DeanBB.4268 Member ✭✭✭

We already have fishing. Just jump in the water and slay-away.

X__________________________
    (Signature Required)

• perilisk.1874perilisk.1874 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Donari.5237 said:
    There has been many a thread on this over the years. Gist of my usual response:

Ok if it's like any other node gather, run up and do a short animation for fish retrieval.
    Not ok if you have to keep your mouse hovering ready to click on a random spot at a random time. That helps stop bots but it also stops (me) doing anything else, looking at anything else, typing to anyone, doing anything but focusing on the fishing interaction for 20-30 seconds at a time, which is long enough to have my attention wander into boredom. Even worse if there are time limited buffs that increase your fish rewards so you have to cast as often as possible without taking breaks.
    Ok if ANet comes up with another of their amazing spins on MMO standard fare and makes it a fun, interruptible activity in a way I can't imagine because I'm not a game designer.

Another node type sounds like the worst way to implement it. The whole point of fishing is to focus your attention on it, but not necessarily have a lot happening right up until you have a lot happening. Besides, you could roll it into masteries and have subsystems like rods, bait, lures, time of day and weather, and so on. It's only worth doing if they do it right.

• Blude.6812Blude.6812 Member ✭✭✭

OP please use Search function

• MithranArkanere.8957MithranArkanere.8957 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 6, 2018

I am strongly against fishing that works like in most other MMOs, just as an AFK activity, or as a node that we just use like any other node and move on.
    It has to be a done like in adventure games, but GW2 style. A full minigame complete with all the bells and whistles:

• Fishing mastery track.

• Masteries in this track would unlock the ability to fish, fishing skills, fishing rod recipes, fishing tool recipes, and basic starting fishing bait recipes.
      • Fishing masteries would only gain experience from fishing and events started by fishing.
    • Fishing minigame.

• Fishing must not be a "walk to node, press F, wait" kind of deal. It has to be a minigame in which you have to use skills in order, 'fighting' with the fish.
      • When playing the fishing minigame in a fishing location, players would get 1-5 skills in the weapon skill slots. They have to be used in the correct order and with proper timing based on how the fishing rod reacts and on how the shadow of the fish in the water moves.
      • Fish would have a health bar and a defiance bar that represents the fighting spirit of the fish. The player's health would represent the durability of the fishing line. To catch the fish, the defiance bar must break without losing the health and breaking the line, and without killing the fish. Some particularly stubborn fish would also require to be weakened to a certain % of health to be captured. There may be other difficulty factors depending on the fish, like timers before they escape, or DoT to the fishing line, and even fish that turn into events that require you to jump into the water and fight them.
      • Killing the fish would result in failing the gathering, and getting "ruined hook" junk instead any fish or materials.
    • Fishing skills

• The 5 fishing skills in the weapon skills side of the skill bar would be unlocked with the first 5 masteries in the fishing mastery track. The first fishing skill comes unlocked when unlocking the fist fishing mastery that teaches fishing.
      • Skills 6 to 0 would be fishing tool skills unlocked with the 6th and last mastery of the track
    • Fishing tools.

• Crafted with the Huntsman discipline, they help when fishing and may be required for certain specific fish. The recipes are bought from any Fishing Master after unlocking the 6th mastery track.
      • The tool skills in slots 6 to 0 will be Ammo skills with no count recharges. The ammo appearing in the skills would be the amount of the tool in the inventory, up to 99.
      • The tools could be: a canister of healing nanogolems that restore the health of the line, a zapper than sends a current through the line to stun the fish, glittering shards that confuse the fish so they get damage when they perform actions, snares that immobilize them, and the jewel of the crown: An expensive stick of dynamite that goes in the elite slot, that can be thrown at strong fish to take a chunk of their defiance and health, but that will straight out murder weak fish.
    • Fishing rods.

• Crafted with the Huntsman crating discipline. Better fishing rods would be required to fish in higher level maps and catch harder fish.
      • Equipping a fishing rod would be done in a new Gathering panel where all other other gathering tools and gathering info would also be moved. This panel and anything equipped in it would be account-wide.
      • Fishing rod skins would be obtained from crafting, from achievements, and from the gemstore. Fishing rod skins would not be applied to fishing rods directly as transmutations. They would be selected in the wardrobe and if the selected skin is checked to be active, it'll overwrite the skin of the rod equipped in the gathering panel. All other gathering tools would be changed to work this way too, and skins would be sold separately from tools, encouraging players to buy more skins even if they already have a full set of tools.
      • Using the fishing rod would be done with a "Start Fishing" item in a new "Tools" category in the Novelties wardrobe. This category will include all non-toy useful items that are not just for fun and have uses even after their related stories have been completed, like Mursaat Portal, the Position Rewinder or the Brandstone Multitool. This would allow using it anywhere without having to code prompts like with nodes and other objects, and using it even while riding any mount and sitting on any chair, including of course your skimmer while riding on top of the water.
      • Once equipped and selected, using the novelty button to activate this tool will use the equipped fishing rod with the selected fishing rod skin anywhere while standing on a valid mass of water. When trying to fish in a place with no fish, players would get a red warning instead taking out the fishing rod.
    • Fishing collections.

• There would be at least 1 for each different set of 5-6 maps and regions: Krytan Fish, Maguuma, Ascalon, Shiverpeaks, Orr and S1&S2 maps, Heart of Maguuma, Crystal Desert, Season 3, Season 4, etc.
      • Fish collections could reward with things like aquatic life minis, recipes for fishing rod skins, fish-themed guild hall decorations like fishing stools, aquariums and mounted fish; a stool chairs novelty, and so on.
      • The collections must of course keep track of the biggest catch for each type of fish you've ever caught in a region, showing it at the bottom the description of the collection entry.
    • Bait.

• There would be different types of bait that attract different kinds of fish.
      • Bait are crafted with the cooking discipline. The most legendary baits used to catch the harder fish would require cooking level 500.
      • Bait would be consumables that give the player an effect that lasts until a fishing attempt ends, regardless of success and failure.
      • Bait would be crafted with "crumbs" of food, milling stones and other ingredients that depend on each type of bait. Crumbs would be obtained salvaging any food, meaning that fishing would become a food sink by giving an use to all that useless food filing the trading post.
      • Basic bait recipes would be earned with fishing masteries, the rest must be learned by finding and impressing Fishing Masters found across the world with the catches in your fishing collections as you progress on competing them.
    • More than fish.

• Sometimes fishing will produce more than fish, like salvageable trophies (e.g.: a pair of ruined boots that can be salvaged for leather, a rusty can salvageable for metal, etc), gemstones, swimming infusions, rusted keys, and underwater materials like coral, seaweed, clams, and pearls.
      • Bonus events.
        • Sometimes fishing will spawn an event like some angry sea life to attack you, like a giant crab, a bunch of krait or a an angry and hungry quaggan that was about to eat the fish you 'stole'.
        • Sometimes event may start from fishing, like a fight vs a veteran boss. On very rare occasions a stronger boss event may start, like a champion, or a fight vs a legendary fish in the water that requires players to jump in the water and fight the fish directly with underwater skills.
    • Home instance upgrade: Fish Tanks

• This has to be monetized, so of course we are going to need Home Instance Aquariums.
      • Similar to the BL Garden plot deeds, they can be purchased several times to have more 'plots'.
      • Each plot would have space to put underwater nodes there to be gathered daily. Like clams, mussels, coral and seaweed.
      • Each plot would also have space to set fish as decoration. Fish tanks would be huge, but each fish tank would have only 8 slots for fish. Small fish would take 1, medium fish would take 2, large fish would take 4, and huge fish like sharks would take all 8 slots in a fish tank.

Hm... yup. Something like that should do it.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.