Core Grenadier [Update - Season 12]

Ivantreil.3092

Edit: The build has been updated, updated info at the second comment of this post.

Sup.

Soo, after playing who knows matches of Drunk Engi, i felt like it was time to search a new build, the Drunk Engi build started to feel too cheesy for me, it worked, but i wasn't displaying any kind of skill with this build.

So, with the thought on mind of searching a new build, i decided to revisit the concept of the ol' marauder rifle, and making tests of it, i came to the conclusion that if i wanted to pull damage, that i needed to focus on one kind of damage output for the build, many different kinds of kits slowed down the build, something that resulted unaffordable nowadays.

So i went with the primary damage output the build had, grenades, and with it, coupled with the Rocket boots for saving my ass, and a utility google for the cc break, wich then i swapped it for Elixir B, resulted to be more better overall.

The first tests were done with Marauder stats, and then i tested it with Berserker stats, i came to the conclsuion that the vitality effort of the marauder amulet wasnt worth it on this build, i was blewing at the same speed regardless of those extra health point or not, so i stick with Berserker for the best damage output.

The Build

Link to the Build

Traits:

• Alchemy: Top, Mid, Mid.
  • Explosives: Top, Mid, Mid.
  • Tools: Mid, Top, Bottom.

Runes / Sigils / Amulet

Amulet: Berserker

Rune:: Rune of the Pack

Sigils: Courage / Separation.

Weapon / Utilities

Weapon: Rifle (not like you had another power choice as core right?)

Uitlities: Healing Turret / Grenade Kit / Rocket Boots / Elixir B / Elixir X

The build sound pretty meh and okayish right?, well, you are right, at some degree.

To make sure people didn't judge the build just by the looks, i uploaded 3 matches in ranked, Platinum 1, to show how the build peforms, see it by yourself:

Match 1

Match 2

Match 3

Purpose and thoughts

The idea of this build is to work as a +1er for the team, and provide heavy burst via grenades at the background of the fight, if you get the attention of the enemies, rocket boots will do the work for you, the build barely holds any chance of 1v1, don't even try it if you don't have Elixir X off cd, (unless you didn't had any another choice of course).

Imo, Rocket boots are a big blessing to have, without it, i doubt i would be able to survive as much as i did in those fights without it, i also noticed i didn't make so much use of Elixir B, i have to remember to use it more often.

Overall, Grenade Barrage and Rocket Boots are the mvp here, people won't expect it so youu have that little thing at your advantage.

Feel free to Judge/discuss.

• 1 month later...

Update - Season 12

Made some minor changes to the previous proposed idea off the build, i changed Rocket Boots in favor of Elixir S as i felt that, at the end of the day, Elixir S was offering more in terms of surviving overall.

Minor Swap to a sigil, changed Sigil of Separation for the Sigil of Fallibility, felt more versatile overall.

Heres my round test of matches with the Core Grenadier in this season.

Match 1

Match 2

Match 3

And i finally took my time to organize and explain with more depth the build in Metabattle, feel free to give it a look if you are interested.

https://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Engineer_-_Core_Grenadier

Exact same utilities and traitlines as the August 2015 World Tournament series NA Engi build.

Currently at this point in time using Scrapper with barriers, F-Gyro and Mass Momentum is far better than Tools for this utility loadout.

Also at this point in time there may be more success to be had with a slightly different build if you're limited to core Engi

@Chaith.8256 said:Exact same utilities and traitlines as the August 2015 World Tournament series NA Engi build.

Currently at this point in time using Scrapper with barriers, F-Gyro and Mass Momentum is far better than Tools for this utility loadout.

Also at this point in time there may be more success to be had with a slightly different build if you're limited to core Engi

I didn't thought about that, i'll give it a try, the only downside that i see is the lack of swiftness with going scrapper, but i guess that gets overly compensated with the extra survivability the trait bring in, thanks for the suggestion!

I've not played engineer in a while, but I miss the old grenade traits where you'd get 1500 range and then I guess it got nerfed to 1200 range. I wasn't around for the 1200 nerf nor the now 900 range nerf. Could these be reversed or something. Grenades is the best part about engi. I mostly WvW with mine and 900 range is really stupid. They are grenades I wanna throw them as far away from me as possible. Pretty much their only use is point-blank now. Am sad. I think I'm gonna make a post about it.

@dontlook.1823 said:I've not played engineer in a while, but I miss the old grenade traits where you'd get 1500 range and then I guess it got nerfed to 1200 range. I wasn't around for the 1200 nerf nor the now 900 range nerf. Could these be reversed or something. Grenades is the best part about engi. I mostly WvW with mine and 900 range is really stupid. They are grenades I wanna throw them as far away from me as possible. Pretty much their only use is point-blank now. Am sad. I think I'm gonna make a post about it.

Changing the Grenadier trait so that it reduces the cooldown on grenade skills and increases the range from 900 to 1,200 is a much better way of reworking the trait. I hate the current Grenadier trait because it is absolutely required when using the Grenade Kit because without it, the kit is useless. No other profession has this kind of trait that affects projectile velocity, so why is engineer the only one with this kind of trait?

Another thing that I would like to see about the Grenade Kit is to have the damage on the auto attack increased. Not only is the damage pitiful, but it scales worse with power damage than Shrapnel Grenade which scales better with power damage and what's worse is that it's a hybrid skill. I understand that ranged auto attacks deal less damage than melee, but engineer should be the only profession who's damage isn't affected by range.

Interesting, I think I ran a match on Battle of Kyhlo with somebody on the enemy team running this build. It had impressive spike capabilities, but almost no sustain. It was best used as a +1'er, in straight combat I always dominated it on my conversion holo.

@insanemaniac.2456 said:

@Peutrifectus.4830 said:They are a thrown weapon. They shouldn't be able to range as a high velocity projectile. This was a major complaint in the past.

came to say this was the justification, however i believe it is a (silly) complaint that could have been remedied thematically rather than mechanically.

Yep. If they gave us a grenade launcher instead of tossing the grenades, would've effectively resolved the issue too.

@"Peutrifectus.4830" said:Now, call the trait "Grenade Launcher" increase range and invest in a new animation (or even copy and paste the mortar) then you're in business.... But does that not make the mortar kit a bit redundant?

Whhy not make a trait that benefits both the Grenade kit and the Mortar kit?

Archived