item booster does not seem to be working right

I needed to gather a lot of platinum for my gift of metal so decided to use an item booster to get the 33% chance of an extra hit. Well I gathered about 50 nodes so far and got the animation when it re equips your pick many many times but the node was broken and I did not get the extra hit. I had it actually work on 1 node only, so not completely broken? I dont know but it's definitely not working as intended!

It is has been mentioned ... somewhere that no extra strikes are possible for rich nodes. So that is something to consider.

I am not sure what you mean by re-equipping your pick but that sounds like the animation caused by the " 10 seconds of Swiftness after Gathering" effect. That isn't related to the extra strike.

Also some of the unlimited gathering tools(such as the unbound set) will gather up to 4 so you won't get the additional interact unless you manage to get 2 additional strikes which is obviously going to rarer than 1 additional strike.

well I have used the same booster before the glyphs came out and got an extra strike using these same tools, just regular vendor tools not unlimited, about every 3rd node, and there was always a different animation that happened. This was many nodes that were not rich and I was getting that same animation and got the extra strike only 1 time. this was at least 40 regular nodes that I gathered, ore and trees. I currently have a glyph of leather on my pick only.

Is this what you are using? https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gathering_Booster

Gathering boosters do not give you an extra strike. Instead they give you a 33% chance to give you more whatever mineral you where going to gather. For instance on platinum nodes you would have a 33% chance to get 2 platinum from one strike instead of one.

If you want an chance of an extra strike, your options are quite limited. (see https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Gathering#Gathering_modifiers)The only way is either a glyph of bounty or the weekend event(already done and no future one has been announced)

Archived