In game marriage ideas

With the 3rd expansion looming upon us (even though there are only 2 LS episodes out)... a birdy has told me anet team is a quarter or halfway done with the 3rd expansion (disclaimer: not factual information). I want to make this thread to encourage that particular team to introduce in game marriage with the 3rd expansion... imagine the $$$ you guys can make!

Here are some ideas for in game marriage (some are mine, some are from other people in my poll):

• Some of us cannot get a gf/bf for the life of us... so we will remain bachelor/bachelorette for the rest of our in game life... so we should get some buffs too like 10% magic find or karma
  • Couple will get 10% gold, exp, cuz when ure married you get more income (supposedly)
  • Wedding churches... with in game marriage, we need venues. this could be in the guild hall... or even in the open world... there are amazing places in THe Desolation, that floating arabian(?) castles in the sky are perfect venues for a romantic Arabian wedding
  • Dowry, the one proposing should pay the other player a dowry
  • Divorce, getting a divorce means you'll have to split your gold with one another

Wedding rings: with gem store becoming a cash cow revenue for anet... ANET can make wedding rings collaboration with Tiffany's and Co. Design your own ring or buy premade wedding rings. They will give your character cosmetic effects (example... butterflies flying around you or flowers dropping from your hair) to indicate that you're taken, and other players cannot call you baby or flirt endlessly/shamelessly with you.

Any other ideas? I want to hear them.

PS: this thread is for in game marriage ideas, if you are anti-marriage or whatever, feel free to make your own thread... dont really wanna read negative comments.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, if marriage system was added, it should not have any kind of impact to the game. No one should ever have to feel pressure to get married or stay single in a game and having any kind of benefit or punishent would do just that.

Maybe a title and that's it.

Please don't bring this up again. Trying to add NPCs for your character to marry, basically giving pixels a love interest is a waste of time and it would be a waste of the developers' resources. Roleplaying exists for a reason. If you want to roleplay marriage with someone you care about in real life, then go for it, I won't judge you. This is just nonsensical.

Not again. This is a fantasy MMO, not a "real life" simulator à la the Sims.

IMO, In-game "relationships" are creepy, and there are individuals using the internet to bait young people, even teens and kids, into all sort of unwanted things. GW2 does not need to nurture that.

Everytime this comes up, I remember a conversation with an in-game acquaintance that I found extremely disturbing. He couldn't stop talking about his "in-game wife", who he said he marries in each game they play together, and how his real-life wife was cool with that, and how sad he was that the former had quit GW2. Awkward much?

@"Hoodie.1045" said:Please don't bring this up again. Trying to add NPCs for your character to marry, basically giving pixels a love interest is a waste of time and it would be a waste of the developers' resources. Roleplaying exists for a reason. If you want to roleplay marriage with someone you care about in real life, then go for it, I won't judge you. This is just nonsensical.

OP is asking for a thing like some other MMORPGs have, where two player characters can get an in-game marriage. There are a number of flaws with this idea as it would be applied to GW2, notably the relatively weak boundary between characters on an account, compared to how other games do things.

In general, though, I'm with you on the "just RP it" side of things, mostly as the various mechanics proposed would disturb game balance.

For role-players everything needed for an in-game wedding is already there. They can pick a location, choose some nice clothes (wedding outfit is the obvious choice, but there's lots of other options), ask a friend to officiate or just say their own vows, craft/find/buy rings to exchange, invite friends and guild members, throw down a guild banquet, keg etc. and maybe arrange for someone to play music.

That also allows them to tailor it to the characters, any RP history and whichever real-world cultures they're emulating. For example two norn might want to recite their great deeds and what they plan to do together (or even include a hunt in the ceremony), whereas charr might want to include their warband/s in the ceremony and maybe make it about bringing the two bands together as well as the two individuals. (I'm not sure charr actually have marriage, but there's no reason someone couldn't RP it.) Sylvari might want to combine lots of ideas they've heard of other races doing...and so on.

If someone at Anet created a wedding ceremony system it would have to be exactly the same for everyone, and may not suit the characters involved at all.

Maybe they could make a special wedding ring item which can be gifted to another player but then becomes soulbound on use. Ideally for practical purposes this would be an ascended ring with selectable stats, but then it would need a cost equal to other rings like that (like the ones from LS3 maps). There would also need to be some way to stop people simply farming and selling the rings, maybe make it so you can only buy 1 per character? (Or just make it exotic quality and players have to live with the stat reduction - marriage often requires sacrificing your personal priorities for the other person.)

As for bonuses I think double XP and gold is far too much. In other games it's more like a 10% XP bonus when you're in a party with each other and on the same map. That would be small enough that it's not a problem for someone if they don't want to get married, and because you have to play with the other person it stops people selling marriage items/marriage to someone who just wants the buffs.

@"Ashantara.8731" said:Not again. This is a fantasy MMO, not a "real life" simulator à la the Sims.

IMO, In-game "relationships" are creepy, and there are individuals using the internet to bait young people, even teens and kids, into all sort of unwanted things. GW2 does not need to nurture that.

Everytime this comes up, I remember a conversation with an in-game acquaintance that I found extremely disturbing. He couldn't stop talking about his "in-game wife", who he said he marries in each game they play together, and how his real-life wife was cool with that, and how sad he was that the former had quit GW2. Awkward much?

very awkward, reminds me of that one jerry springer episode, where a pregnant wife allowed her husband to have a side chick during the duration of ha pregnancy, but then the husband fell in love with the side chick and they went on jerry springer and had a fight battle.

however, this happens with or without in game marriage, i dont see how adding in game marriage affect anyone else?

@Danikat.8537 said:

As for bonuses I think double XP and gold is far too much. In other games it's more like a 10% XP bonus when you're in a party with each other and on the same map. That would be small enough that it's not a problem for someone if they don't want to get married, and because you have to play with the other person it stops people selling marriage items/marriage to someone who just wants the buffs.

oh yeah, i meant like 10% 20% like the guild buffs, not x2 lol.

@EpicName.4523 said:

@Babylonn.5027 said:No, just no. That is most ridiculous and stupid idea i have read in while.

So much this. OP must go play Second Life or something.

honey am strict mmorpg/rpg player, i don't like second life, the sims, halo etc...

these things add spice to the mmorpg genre... it doesn't mean u have to play a diff game. just like having garden plots, home instance etc... they're not rpg components but they make the game experience richer. and u dont have to participate in in-game marriage if u dont want to... O.o...

@Samnang.1879 said:

@"Ashantara.8731" said:Not again. This is a fantasy MMO, not a "real life" simulator à la the Sims.

very awkward, reminds me of that one jerry springer episode, where a pregnant wife allowed her husband to have a side chick during the duration of ha pregnancy, but then the husband fell in love with the side chick and they went on jerry springer and had a fight battle.

however, this happens with or without in game marriage, i dont see how adding in game marriage affect anyone else?

It will use dev resources that could be used on build temp... yeah right... on anything else. So yes, it will affect everyone in a long run and will be a huge waste of time.

@Samnang.1879 said:

You are only referencing my last paragraph. If you read the previous one, you will get your answer to the "why not". IMHO, it's dangerous territory, and since GW2 isn't 18+, it is also not particularly healthy from a psychological point of view in a young person's development (especially when you are a lonely teen while all your "cool", popular classmates already have a gf/bf in real life).

@"Samnang.1879" said:

honey am strict mmorpg/rpg player, i don't like second life, the sims, halo etc...

these things add spice to the mmorpg genre... it doesn't mean u have to play a diff game. just like having garden plots, home instance etc... they're not rpg components but they make the game experience richer. and u dont have to participate in in-game marriage if u dont want to... O.o...

You claim that you don't like Second Life, Sims and Halo? Wasn't Halo a shooter? Anyway, despite your claims, your suggestion supports the idea that these games are right up your alley.

And yes, you do have a home instance which serves clear purpose - it is the area used to advance your personal storyline. Garden plots also serve a purpose - they provide you with a specific resource. From a gameplay point of view both things have use.

You also claim that nobody forces me or anyone else to get married, yet in your original post you also suggest to give bonuses related to your "family status". So, in order to get the desired bonuses you should/or not get married in order to have them. Low on gold? You really should get married man. Low on karma? Time for divorce. Why did you marry for that fat hoe anyway?

Btw if you think that just because you are married you should get more gold is ridiculous:) Actually, it seems to work the other way around. And God forbid you get divorced. You spouse will get almost all your gold and alimony to boot!

But...but since this will affect gameplay it will actually serve a purpose just like the home instance or the garden plot, wouldn't you say? Well, instead of " making the game experience richer" you actually restrict gameplay based on the currency you need at the time - be it magic find, gold or karma.

But you know why your idea is truly bad? It pushes the game into a direction of which there is no going back. Someone somewhere will whine that you can only marry the opposite gender. Sexist! This will also bring forth the idea of same gender marriages to make things equal. Other people will then ask for kids or interracial marriages with hybrid kids or God knows what. There is enough of this shit irl. Basically, what you ask will slowly transform the game into something it isn't. And that idea is horrifying.

While I am not entirely opposed to the idea of a marriage system in game I feel this suggestion is way off the mark as to what such a system would have to be like.

The marriage package would most likely end up being a gem store thing. However if anet is feeling generous they could make it something you buy with gold in game.

The bonus would have to be something that does not have much of an impact in the game to avoid people feeling pressured to have to use it. Magic find doesn't have too much of an impact so maybe a small bonus to magic find when playing together, or maybe a boost to running speed (obviously only in PvE). Although just some fancy titles and maybe some outfit or armour skin (glove skin that is just wearing a wedding ring?) would be acceptable as well.

The actual marriage ceremony would have to be just an rp thing because I honestly feel the developers at anet have way more important things to work on. And no matter what kind of ceremony anet made it be, there would be people who are unhappy with it. There is plenty of scenic places players can go. Or they can try and decorate a guild hall for it. Hell maybe someone will even make a guild specifically to have a fancy guild hall that players can "rent" for their weddings if they don't have the resources for their own ghall and don't want the chance of people crashing their wedding.

The ideas of a dowry or having to split their money if they divorce are not very good. The potential issues, especially with the second one, are just way too high. A wedding package would need to be a fun way to enhance rp or make irl couples feel closer in game, not something that might lead to people writing help tickets about "why should I have to give up part of my gold! They cheated on me!!! This isn't fair!"

Anyways, If they introduce a marriage package I would hope they would also add new decorations for guild halls for people who want to decorate a guild hall for their wedding. The most obvious decoration idea being something like a wedding cake.

Edit to add: There absolutely should not be any kind of "bonus" to not having the marriage package. That would just be a little silly. If you want some kind of buff without having to be tied to another person you should just buy boosters.

@"Ashantara.8731" said:IMO, In-game "relationships" are creepy, and there are individuals using the internet to bait young people, even teens and kids, into all sort of unwanted things. GW2 does not need to nurture that.

That doesn't happen as often as you're trying to make it seem. Younger people are mostly taken advantage of by those they are familiar with, such as family or people close to their family. The old think of the children line is pretty old now that it is 2018 and they still have zero protection from what really has threatened them.

Either way, a marriage system would be odd with how GW2 is designed, and even if it were added, any perks would end up being purely cosmetic; such as a title, skins/outfit, and maybe some sort of visual aura when together or something.

If anything, the current social features could go with some tweaks first. Current way of handling "friends" is fairly bad, and getting into a guild is heavily reliant on running into them or looking for them out of the game. Even generic Korean clones have better social/guild systems done at their first attempt.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:It will use dev resources that could be used on build temp... yeah right... on anything else. So yes, it will affect everyone in a long run and will be a huge waste of time.

?? i don't understand this kind of sentiment. yes it will take resources, but given how many ppl are into in-game marriage, the wedding rings etc will generate revenue for anet to hire more staffs. build template, on the hand, is a QoL component that makes existing players happier, it doesn't make them spend any more money.So i don't understand why ppl bring this argument, it takes away dev's resources and time and then suggest something totally profitless for the company.

@"Ashantara.8731" said:You are only referencing my last paragraph. If you read the previous one, you will get your answer to the "why not". IMHO, it's dangerous territory, and since GW2 isn't 18+, it is also not particularly healthy from a psychological point of view in a young person's development (especially when you are a lonely teen while all your "cool", popular classmates already have a gf/bf in real life).

I've read your entire comment. I just don't agree. Adding in-game marriage suddenly makes GW2 more lethal than guns...?

@EpicName.4523 said:

@"Samnang.1879" said:

You claim that you don't like Second Life, Sims and Halo? Wasn't Halo a shooter? Anyway, despite your claims, your suggestion supports the idea that these games are right up your alley.

And yes, you do have a home instance which serves clear purpose - it is the area used to advance your personal storyline. Garden plots also serve a purpose - they provide you with a specific resource. From a gameplay point of view both things have use.

You also claim that nobody forces me or anyone else to get married, yet in your original post you also suggest to give bonuses related to your "family status". So, in order to get the desired bonuses you should/or not get married in order to have them. Low on gold? You really should get married man. Low on karma? Time for divorce. Why did you marry for that fat hoe anyway?

Btw if you think that just because you are married you should get more gold is ridiculous:) Actually, it seems to work the other way around. And God forbid you get divorced. You spouse will get almost all your gold and alimony to boot!

But...but since this will affect gameplay it will actually serve a purpose just like the home instance or the garden plot, wouldn't you say? Well, instead of " making the game experience richer" you actually restrict gameplay based on the currency you need at the time - be it magic find, gold or karma.

But you know why your idea is truly bad? It pushes the game into a direction of which there is no going back. Someone somewhere will whine that you can only marry the opposite gender. Sexist! This will also bring forth the idea of same gender marriages to make things equal. Other people will then ask for kids or interracial marriages with hybrid kids or God knows what. There is enough of this kitten irl. Basically, what you ask will slowly transform the game into something it isn't. And that idea is horrifying.

well firstly, i don't like single player games... so ... theres no way i'd like the sims etc. 2ndly i'm no longer into gaming, and gw2 is the only game i'm interested in cuz i like fantasy, magic, class building, and gearing up and raids. you can't do that in sims or 2nd life... why ppl suggest i play those? i can't stand those games

yeah but they're not RPG components. there is a shooting gallery too... in VB. marriage gives buffs... thats related to gw2...

well at least it's a legit way to earn gold... there are ppl in china selling gold bro... and i dont see anyone here making a big fuss about them

pretty sure anet will allow us to have gay marriage considering they have faolain and caithe as a couple.... and well i sort of want eggs and hatchlings from mounts...

It's surprising (to me) how different players reactions are to the same systems in different games. My other MMO has had player marriage since launch and I've never seen any of these concerns raised, either as something that might happen or which has happened. The only complaint I've seen is that there's no divorce system so if your character is married to one controlled by someone who quit the game you can't remarry.

But quite a few people on that game's forum are currently up in arms about the imminent introduction of cash shop gifting - they're adamant it will only be used by people selling cash shop items to other players in return for gold and it's opening the flood gates to legalised gold selling which will ruin the economy and the game. I never saw any complaints about that when GW2 got gem store gifting, and I've never heard of it happening.

I think it's important to remember that in a lot of MMOs with marriage mechanics there is absolutely zero impact on anyone except the two people involved. They don't have a love heart effect around them, don't have giant signs saying "I am married to someone I have never met in real life!" etc. there is no way for anyone else to know they're married unless you ask.

I don't think it's worth Anet putting more than minimal effort into designing a system. As I said earlier I think it's actually better if players have the freedom to decide how they want to do it themselves. But I wouldn't be opposed to them creating a wedding ring or another item which gives an XP boost when you're playing with the person who gave it to you and I highly doubt it's going to leave anyone emotionally traumatized or unable to adjust to real-life relationships.

My god.. it's a game it's for fun. The few people on these forums that only ever see negative sides about everything are more annoying than in any other game I've seen yet..

People play their characters, they identify with them, they play them out as people. Doesn't matter if the game offers systems ingame for that or not, people will play that idea out anyway. That's the RP part in MMORPG. Bringing up predators for GW2 sounds like you'd also protect your kid from the evil murder simulator fortnite or even better: protect from the predators in fortnite.

Either way, as I said in that other thread I'd like such an option, especially from a game mechanic perspective.

@Samnang.1879 said:

PS: this thread is for in game marriage ideas, if you are anti-marriage or whatever, feel free to make your own thread... dont really wanna read negative comments.

You don't get to dictate how people respond when you post in an open forum.

That said, your suggestion is not something that appeals to me, and I don't think it would be a constructive use of developer resources.

@Samnang.1879 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:It will use dev resources that could be used on build temp... yeah right... on anything else. So yes, it will affect everyone in a long run and will be a huge waste of time.

?? i don't understand this kind of sentiment. yes it will take resources, but given how many ppl are into in-game marriage

How many exactly?

@Samnang.1879 said:

Actually, I am beginning to get and idea as to where you keep getting your ideas from...So No, just NO!Next you'll want something implemented your thought was cool on a Jeremy Kyle episode.

BTW where is the link to where we can all read about all these people wanting in game marriages, etc etc.RL can be hard, but perhaps if love and marriage are what you want this badly, spend less time talking about it on the forums and hoping for it to become and in game thing and actually go make fantasy a reality... rainbows and all :)

Archived