Anet : The Meteor Shower Nerf is a shame (60% DPS Nerf in PvE vs single target)

Lasiurus.4067

Meteor Shower: The internal cooldown of this skill has been removed when used against PvE targets, and its initial damage has been increased by 23%. Damage will now decline by 10% for each subsequent hit, capping at a minimum value equal to 10% of the initial impact's damage.

Meteor Shower gots 24 hits

This means, that after the 10th hit, the DPS will be only 10% from initial one (buffed by 23%).

This means thats : before ALL 24 hits, hits for 10K, 24x10k = 240k

TOTAL BEFORE PATCH : 240K.

TOTAL AFTER PATCH : About 100K.

This nerf is sick, Staff Weaver had big DPS but lowest HP, squishest build.Now the DPS will be better with Scourge, who also has barrier AND Corrupt.

Does anet wants to eradicate last DPS Staff Weaver ?Thats really sad...

EDIT : It works everywhere, just tested it in WvW. BUT its per target, so it's okay for WvW versys Zerg .The massi ve nerf is only for PvE. But it was way too much imo

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does it work per target? As far as i understand it is that each meteor hitting the same target deals less damage. So it should be a buff for wvsw and huge nerf in pve.

Or does it really reduce damage per target hit on a global thing? If its like that the balance team really needs to be fired.

@Nephalem.8921 said:Does it work per target? As far as i understand it is that each meteor hitting the same target deals less damage. So it should be a buff for wvsw and huge nerf in pve.

Or does it really reduce damage per target hit on a global thing? If its like that the balance team really needs to be fired.

Based on the text they use. I dont think it affects WvW at all. It mentions PvE but nothing about WvW

I never use these forums but when I saw this nerf to meteor shower I was really flabbergasted. I play Weaver in WvW and daily fractals and I feel like they just completely gutted staff. In WvW on a glass weaver a good hit is like 7k a great hit these days is like 11k (WTB old tornado) with most meteors only doing 2-4k because of the tankiness of groups. Currently sitting in Aerodome with food on and base damage begins at 2036 and ends with 204. No skill that is a 24scd traited with a 3 1/2 cast time should be doing 204 base damage. The one thing Weaver brings to groups in both PvE and WvW is DPS and now the most important staff skill for DPS is gutted. Testing on golem it seemed with current weaver rotation opening tick DPS dropped by about 15kish with the average around 4-5K less than pre nerf meteors. As a power weaver you basically bring nothing to the group except damage and some CC in WvW and now I feel like there is zero reason to play high risk for high reward. I really hope there is more outrage over this completely unnecessary change that affects WvW and PvE greatly and it gets reverted. Tempest defense nerf? Fine IMO it needed toning down but meteor is such a staple to ele as a class and for it to be hit this hard is just insane.

@ArmageddonAsh.6430 said:Doers it not say something that it dealt THAT much damage to begin with? A press and forget skill shouldnt be doing anywhere near that kind of damage. Ever. Also by the sounds of it, the effect ONLY works for PvE by how it mentions PvE but not WvW?

@Nephalem.8921 said:Does it work per target? As far as i understand it is that each meteor hitting the same target deals less damage. So it should be a buff for wvsw and huge nerf in pve.

It works everywhere, just tested it in WvW.First hit will hit for 12k, then 11k, then 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 3, 2, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1.Instead of : 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10.Massive nerf.It's not per target, its global, whatever target.

@ArmageddonAsh.6430 said:

Based on the text they use. I dont think it affects WvW at all. It mentions PvE but nothing about WvW

no, sadly it affects WvW, just tested it...

@Lasiurus.4067 said:

@ArmageddonAsh.6430 said:Doers it not say something that it dealt THAT much damage to begin with? A press and forget skill shouldnt be doing anywhere near that kind of damage. Ever. Also by the sounds of it, the effect ONLY works for PvE by how it mentions PvE but not WvW?

@"Nephalem.8921" said:Does it work per target? As far as i understand it is that each meteor hitting the same target deals less damage. So it should be a buff for wvsw and huge nerf in pve.

It works everywhere, just tested it in WvW.First hit will hit for 12k, then 11k, then 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 3, 2, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1.Instead of : 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10 10.Massive nerf.It's not per target, its global, whatever target.

is that "12k, then 11k, then 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 3, 2, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1." per a target? Because that still is VERY strong in my opinion, is it as broken as it was before? No but what it does say that staff is VERY badly designed and WAY too reliant on 1 skill to deal damage. What would have been nice is if they buffed a few other skills here and there on staff to compensate a little.

@ArmageddonAsh.6430 said:

@"Nephalem.8921" said:Does it work per target? As far as i understand it is that each meteor hitting the same target deals less damage. So it should be a buff for wvsw and huge nerf in pve.

is that "12k, then 11k, then 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 3, 2, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1." per a target? Because that still is VERY strong in my opinion, is it as broken as it was before? No but what it does say that staff is VERY badly designed and WAY too reliant on 1 skill to deal damage. What would have been nice is if they buffed a few other skills here and there on staff to compensate a little.

That's how I understand the change too and it would still be OP in WvW since 2 hits from a zerk weaver vs anyone with ~3K armor will take most of their hp. So by the time this nerf kicks in they will mostly likely have moved away from the AoE already or simply died.

If it reduces per meteor instead and the damage reduces regardless of the meteor hitting something or not well then yes its a nerf.

Maybe we will not need to fully cast meter in our rotation in pve~~.Well,if staff weaver have no top dps anymore, it make no sense to use it....So if the staff weaver got heavily nerfed in pve. Can they now buff DD/SD weaver in pve or pvp now?

@"C Cspace Cowboy.5903" said:Well. Rip. Scourge meta is apparently what they want. And they wonder why noone plays wvw anymore. Dead meta.

Well, when it comes to roaming. Necro is pretty much dead. They are the class and spec i fear the least when it comes to condi builds. Who really cares about the "balance" of mindless blob and zergs? The nerf was a little much for PvE, not enough for WvW. Typical Anet lol

@Lasiurus.4067 said:

just tested it in wvw, was on pve mobs but shouldn't matter, the damage reduction is unique to the target you are hitting. With the change you will only see lower overall dps when your meteors hit the same player for like a 6th time.

@Crann.1342 said:

just tested it in wvw, was on pve mobs but shouldn't matter, the damage reduction is unique to the target you are hitting. With the change you will only see lower overall dps when your meteors hit the same player for like a 6th time.

ARE YOU SERIOUS ? OH MY GOD GONNA TEST AGAIN.If you're right its not a nerf but even a small buff in WvW with the 23% Buff for first hit.

Just tested in pvp area. Damage per meteor only gets reduced when the target gets hit by multiple meteors. Even the last meteor can hit for the full dmg when the target wasnt hit by a meteor before.

So normally players get hit max twice in wvsw so it should be a buff in wvsw. Still an incredible stupid nerf in pve since just cancelling it early increases dps.

Can someone explain why Meteor Shower was in their crosshairs at all?

As a relatively new player working through the storylines, I find Meteor Shower essential, without being overpowered. No one likes their class to be nerfed, but when your survival relies on burst damage, huge reductions hurt playability.

This is a BIG cut to a (formerly) significant source of damage, without any balancing effects or alternatives. ANet took a class that many see as tough to solo and made it harder... and they did it to a skill that already comes with a significant cost (in mobility).

@Lasiurus.4067 said:Let's unite together, I will prepare a big Post to explain why this change is kitten, and alternative. I understand Meteor Shower was perhaps too hard, but this nerf destroy all.They should put the cap at 66% instead of 10%That's a far more sensible cap... but is a cap needed at all?

@Lasiurus.4067 said:Let's unite together, I will prepare a big Post to explain why this change is kitten, and alternative. I understand Meteor Shower was perhaps too hard, but this nerf destroy all.They should put the cap at 66% instead of 10%

Yes the cap needs to be raised so just cancelling and doing aa instead should never be higher dps than the full channel. But 66% would be too high. Should be in the 40-50% range.

@Lasiurus.4067 said:

ARE YOU SERIOUS ? OH MY GOD GONNA TEST AGAIN.If you're right its not a nerf but even a small buff in WvW with the 23% Buff for first hit.

yeh you were probably hitting downed bodies with your meteor that you'd already hit lots of times before, if someone had walked into your meteor at the end you would've hit him for the full amount. Most of your later ticks will be on downed so this buff is actually kinda nice for relevant damage, it kind of adds extra rng when you shower a 50 man zerg you want each seperate meteor to hit and hit the 3x target cap and now you also want your meteors to hit as many new targets as possible.

This meteor shower nerf was uncalled for and probably seriously biased on some pvechump logic for how to balance against bosses with stupidly large hit-boxes. I'm triggered beyond words. So stupid! This change is so bad that I wont play until i see a buff or revert. This ability was the most important for ele staff sustained pressure but now its crap, completely play-style breaking. I played this game for a very long time, and saw some silly changes, but what the F is this. Its not april 1st. Do you hate ele?

If it's PER target then I'll concede that this is a buff for WvW. I still stand by this being completely unnecessary overall though. You're 11.6HP locked into a cast for over 3 seconds and it has a 24s TRAITED cd. In WvW basically anything can insta down you on a glass weaver. Weaver is heavily reliant on support to achieve dps/stay alive in both areas of the game and many of those supports were nerfed today as well. Maybe it would have been better to bring in some of the passive DPS nerfs to see where weaver stood with that before gutting staff's most staple skill.

Archived