Malicious Restoration

Kallist.5917

So one of the best heals available to the DE is now a 4K heal instead of a 10K heal, with a 3 condition transfer instead of a 7 Condition removal. Remember that. Giving a Thief less healing and less condition cleans is more in line with what they envision for DE, on top of the less damage.

Let us be realistic here... outside of bosses, if things lived long enough to build enough malice stacks to make this a usable heal, you were probably playing thief wrong. Most of the time you were better served by the more consistent healing of Hide in Shadows or the constant healing of Signet of Malice, and now HiS has the base healing it has in WvW making it even more of an obvious choice.

@Sojourner.4621 said:Let us be realistic here... outside of bosses, if things lived long enough to build enough malice stacks to make this a usable heal, you were probably playing thief wrong. Most of the time you were better served by the more consistent healing of Hide in Shadows or the constant healing of Signet of Malice, and now HiS has the base healing it has in WvW making it even more of an obvious choice.

Im going to disagree. In higher level fractals, where conditions were applied just because someone hit a monster near you, this was very much THE best in slot heal that a DE had available. Given the fact that a skilled Rifle DE could get all 7 stacks of Malice in 4 seconds, it had its place in all of my fights. Not to mention the max Malice was the only time you would be doing any respectable DPS.

Would more condi clear really help right now tho? I fought a condi-mirage yesterday. I cleansed the 10 stacks of confusion, 12 stacks of torment, 3 stacks of burning. Within the same second, I had another 6 stacks of torment, 8 stacks of confusion and 3 stacks of bleeding...

Hmm...I should bump the mesmer-complaints thread with this.

@Turk.5460 said:Would more condi clear really help right now tho? I fought a condi-mirage yesterday. I cleansed the 10 stacks of confusion, 12 stacks of torment, 3 stacks of burning. Within the same second, I had another 6 stacks of torment, 8 stacks of confusion and 3 stacks of bleeding...

Hmm...I should bump the mesmer-complaints thread with this.

in PVE like Fractals, Dungeons, Raids and Meta's, yes, it helps a lot.

@Kallist.5917 said:

@Sojourner.4621 said:Let us be realistic here... outside of bosses, if things lived long enough to build enough malice stacks to make this a usable heal, you were probably playing thief wrong. Most of the time you were better served by the more consistent healing of Hide in Shadows or the constant healing of Signet of Malice, and now HiS has the base healing it has in WvW making it even more of an obvious choice.

Im going to disagree. In higher level fractals, where conditions were applied just because someone hit a monster near you, this was very much THE best in slot heal that a DE had available. Given the fact that a skilled Rifle DE could get all 7 stacks of Malice in 4 seconds, it had its place in all of my fights. Not to mention the max Malice was the only time you would be doing any respectable DPS.

In higher level fractals you will usually be more use to your team as daredevil, and that is already a better heal. You just admitted to running a handicapped build in high level fractals. The only way to gain malice faster on old deadeye was to be revealed from stealth at one stack per reveal. Revealed lasts for 3 seconds. You gain 1 malice from the initial mark, and 1 for every 1.5 seconds you attack the target, for 3 total at the end of four seconds. That means you have to reveal yourself 4 times to get a full 7 stacks in 4 seconds, which is impossible as the most you can reveal yourself is 3 (once from initial stealth and twice more by using your elite skill). Why is this gimping your team? Because you lose either the large CC potential of Basilisk Venom or the damage boost potential of thieve's guild, as well as the damage boost and boon potential of One in the Chamber trait all of which mean you are doing worse damage and being less help to your team. You are correct in that you are more help once you have 7 stacks of malice of course, in higher tier fractals, but since that only matters on enemies that last that long, Daredevil will by contrast ALWAYS have much higher damage sustain than Deadeye in that situation.

Don't get me wrong, I always dislike when my heal options are nerfed when I already have a limited selection of heal options, but the boost to heals on HiS more than makes up for it. It is a perfectly acceptable damaging condi removal skill, a defensive stealth, and now the highest base heal of any heal in thief's kit except for Daredevil.

@Sojourner.4621 said:

In higher level fractals you will usually be more use to your team as daredevil, and that is already a better heal. You just admitted to running a handicapped build in high level fractals. The only way to gain malice faster on old deadeye was to be revealed from stealth at one stack per reveal. Revealed lasts for 3 seconds. You gain 1 malice from the initial mark, and 1 for every 1.5 seconds you attack the target, for 3 total at the end of four seconds. That means you have to reveal yourself 4 times to get a full 7 stacks in 4 seconds, which is impossible as the most you can reveal yourself is 3 (once from initial stealth and twice more by using your elite skill). Why is this gimping your team? Because you lose either the large CC potential of Basilisk Venom or the damage boost potential of thieve's guild, as well as the damage boost and boon potential of One in the Chamber trait all of which mean you are doing worse damage and being less help to your team. You are correct in that you are more help once you have 7 stacks of malice of course, in higher tier fractals, but since that only matters on enemies that last that long, Daredevil will by contrast ALWAYS have much higher damage sustain than Deadeye in that situation.

That handicapped build has a higher DPS than DD. But your right, it was probably closer to 5-6 second build up, with it taking about 3 seconds to out dps the groups usual DD(He's the one that told me, always ran ArcDPS to try and prove his superior build to me). But lets also consider that DE required next to no support from their team, and didnt have to be forehead to forehead with the enemy to maintain their DPS. Every DD Ive encountered in high level fractals has been a wet paper bag with zero adaptability to situations, spending a third of most boss fights down, complaining about how bad their support is. DE? Ive soloed down the bloom hunger from the 33% mark after the rest of the team dropped from the excess of mobs. Swap to sword and run half the motes before the burst went off, get to a safe place, then finish the second 2 motes, swapped back to Rifle, and downed the bloom hunger on my own. I never required support from another class to become a boss slaying BA.My point being? A DE's DPS at 1500 is still better than your DD's when your dead on the floor.

But thats fine, you have your opinion of your preferred class, I have mine. You have your single target damage, I have my 50K Crits and 5 target Immob 5K hits.You have your Basilisk venom, I have Binding Shadow 3 seconds Knockdown to kill break bars that also applied 15 Vuln to boost damage party wide.You have your 4 Vuln for 8 seconds at the end of your auto chain, I have my 3 for 6 seconds every attack, stacking with the aforementioned Utility to boost everyone's damage to the target by 25%.You had your elitism, I had my group of fractal clearing non-meta builds running players that worked just as well.Because in the end, you know what really mattered? Knowing the mechanics, knowing your class, and knowing when you should use your chosen skills. Have a good day DD bro.

@Kallist.5917 said:

That handicapped build has a higher DPS than DD. But your right, it was probably closer to 5-6 second build up, with it taking about 3 seconds to out dps the groups usual DD(He's the one that told me, always ran ArcDPS to try and prove his superior build to me). But lets also consider that DE required next to no support from their team, and didnt have to be forehead to forehead with the enemy to maintain their DPS. Every DD Ive encountered in high level fractals has been a wet paper bag with zero adaptability to situations, spending a third of most boss fights down, complaining about how bad their support is. DE? Ive soloed down the bloom hunger from the 33% mark after the rest of the team dropped from the excess of mobs. Swap to sword and run half the motes before the burst went off, get to a safe place, then finish the second 2 motes, swapped back to Rifle, and downed the bloom hunger on my own. I never required support from another class to become a boss slaying BA.My point being? A DE's DPS at 1500 is still better than your DD's when your dead on the floor.

But thats fine, you have your opinion of your preferred class, I have mine. You have your single target damage, I have my 50K Crits and 5 target Immob 5K hits.You have your Basilisk venom, I have Binding Shadow 3 seconds Knockdown to kill break bars that also applied 15 Vuln to boost damage party wide.You have your 4 Vuln for 8 seconds at the end of your auto chain, I have my 3 for 6 seconds every attack, stacking with the aforementioned Utility to boost everyone's damage to the target by 25%.You had your elitism,
I had my group of fractal clearing non-meta builds running players that worked just as well.
Because in the end, you know what really mattered? Knowing the mechanics, knowing your class, and knowing when you should use your chosen skills. Have a good day DD bro.

When I use DE I run it with different traits and a different elite skill that both contribute to the party CC and Damage better than what you're running just to build malice a little bit more quickly. I ALSO use Binding Shadow to contribute to CC where appropriate, swapping out the relatively minor damage boost of spider venom for it. Know what's better than 3s knockdown for break bars? That plus five players with basi venom shared. The extra cantrips might not have been much extra DPS over building malice slightly more quickly, but it was in fact extra DPS. And just because you have played with a lot of bad DDs doesn't mean DD is bad. You just contradicted yourself "Knowing the mechanics and class and when you should use your skills" is in fact more important, but your class, even on the spec you choose to play (which is fine btw, I run both DE and DD in t4s) is apparently not known all that well because you are actually handicapping your own damage AND CC by running that trait and elite on it vs things that are empirically better.

Archived