Pls delay balance for 1 month

Zlater.6789

Hi,I just wanted to request that we stop releasing balance passes in the middle of ranked seasons. I honestly don't mind if you push the balance back one month or bring the season forward 1 month. But please for the love of all that is even slightly competitive; wait until a season is over before you drop a major balance patch. From today onward ranked pvp is a meme, anyone who put any time into practising and preparing in unranked before the season, has wasted their time if they haven't finished their required matches for the season by now.

To use an illustration and exaggeration to make a point. Imagined having trained to play in the super bowl, on the day you're ready and you play your best until half time. The half time bell rings and they give you a racket and tennis ball and say, "sorry lads, the ball was too big, we had to rebalance it. We're playing tennis now."

I'd rather they completely get rid of ranked. Add pips to unranked. Let people queue as teams. Let people concede during blowouts. And for the love of God try to balance the game once a month.

Having an entire season of garbage PvP and unbalanced classes just because you don't want things to change mid-season is stupid (and honeslty is only someone who plays one of the OP classes would say.

Shoot, I've had people call in map chat to report me just because I'm playing reaper instead of scourge.

More balance patches is always better than fewer, unless you are the one enjoying being OP.

PvP seasons I no longer see as remotely a good enough reason to sit on a patch for a month. Maybe at one point they were.

Not patching broken things immediately, that's way more dangerous than being adjusted mid-season and tweaking your build.

Its better they fix things mid season and give it a chance to regain its integrity if the first half is not good on balance, and massively favors some classes.Leaving things as they are will just leave the season meaningless.Regardless though this patch only ruined druid’s day, and did nothing else impactful so the season is still meaningless due to mesmers necros and warriors.

@"BeLZedaR.4790" said:Its better they fix things mid season and give it a chance to regain its integrity if the first half is not good on balance, and massively favors some classes.Leaving things as they are will just leave the season meaningless.Regardless though this patch only ruined druid’s day, and did nothing else impactful so the season is still meaningless due to mesmers necros and warriors.

I understand your sentiment, and in fact I would say its important to roll out intermediate balance the moment that something potentially game breaking presents itself. But I dont think rolling major balance reworks out in the middle of a ranked season is well thought out. You cite Druid and say its the only thing that got majorly reworked, but you only mention it because its the only class that we've seen impacted in the previous meta. We don't consider the consequences of that though, and my point is that we're playing a different game now to what we were a week ago. There are so many questions that are unanswered and so many things to explore as we discover a new game:

Now we have to test deadeye and see if it has a place in the meta. Is deadeye capable of locking scourge down? Is Firebrand in a better or worse place because of the changes, and will it be more important to bring a Firebrand? Are we going to see engi come in as a bunker? Is soulbeast something we should watch out for? Is Conversion Holo potentially better than Tools now? Is spell breaker capable of hard countering s/d thief now? Is thief relegated to being strictly a +1 role, would that mean that d/p takes the place of s/d? Are we going to see menders become viable for chrono?

The questions can go on and on, and we love to say on the forums "no probably not" or "OMG THIS IS THE NEW THING" but the truth is our opinions are irrevelant because really we don't know for sure, at least until we get in there and figure it out. (As a note, these aren't questions I want to discuss, but they are an example of the things I wonder about when I see the changes. I use that to illustrate the significance of a patch that would have at first seemed insignificant)

So don't you think the time for experimentation and solidification of the current meta should be in the off season? Do you prefer to have to potentially relearn your favourite builds and the current meta in the peak of each ranked season?

@Zlater.6789 said:

@"BeLZedaR.4790" said:Its better they fix things mid season and give it a chance to regain its integrity if the first half is not good on balance, and massively favors some classes.Leaving things as they are will just leave the season meaningless.Regardless though this patch only ruined druid’s day, and did nothing else impactful so the season is still meaningless due to mesmers necros and warriors.

I understand your sentiment, and in fact I would say its important to roll out intermediate balance the moment that something potentially game breaking presents itself. But I dont think rolling major balance reworks out in the middle of a ranked season is well thought out. You cite Druid and say its the only thing that got majorly reworked, but you only mention it because its the only class that we've seen impacted in the previous meta. We don't consider the consequences of that though, and my point is that we're playing a different game now to what we were a week ago. There are so many questions that are unanswered and so many things to explore as we discover a new game:

Now we have to test deadeye and see if it has a place in the meta. Is deadeye capable of locking scourge down? Is Firebrand in a better or worse place because of the changes, and will it be more important to bring a Firebrand? Are we going to see engi come in as a bunker? Is soulbeast something we should watch out for? Is Conversion Holo potentially better than Tools now? Is spell breaker capable of hard countering s/d thief now? Is thief relegated to being strictly a +1 role, would that mean that d/p takes the place of s/d? Are we going to see menders become viable for chrono?

The questions can go on and on, and we love to say on the forums "no probably not" or "OMG THIS IS THE NEW THING" but the truth is our opinions are irrevelant because really we don't know for sure, at least until we get in there and figure it out. (As a note, these aren't questions I want to discuss, but they are an example of the things I wonder about when I see the changes. I use that to illustrate the significance of a patch that would have at first seemed insignificant)

So don't you think the time for experimentation and solidification of the current meta should be in the off season? Do you prefer to have to potentially relearn your favourite builds and the current meta in the peak of each ranked season?

There are two builds you have the option to relearn, Rifle Deadeye which is reworked and Med Kit Scrapper which is new.

If you're concerned that you will struggle in navigating learning new tooltips or navigating the number tweaks, there's unranked for you. Unranked is like there's off-season play available all the time.

I'm also not convinced that it should always be a pre-established meta before any PvP happens, being able to theorycraft and create builds instead of looking them up on discord and metabattle, I think this only worries the sheep, and those who are only interested in playing the pro-approved monthly AT builds

You ALWAYS do mid-season patches to address outliers. Literally every single game does because it affects a large number of people negatively. No one wants to play a game mode that is dominated by a couple builds and your teams chances of winning and losing are based on how many of those classes you do or don't.

That could easily be solved with preventing class stacking as well as swapping characters in the lobby. Actually a great deal of balance could be solved by removing class stacking.

A good example is Overwatch. Yea I know Blizzard has a whole team dedicated to that game, but they disabled Brigette who is the newest hero for the remainder of season 9. Season 10 she was made available and while providing the meta shake up they wanted, she also could do everything super well and she already got slight nerfs and has more on the way.

As a web developer if I implement a new feature onto a site I build, and the feedback is overall negative, I am not going to let it sit for months as that would lose us traffic. Same goes for PvP. You cannot let new players come into this mode and get dominated by a couple builds, you also can't leave long time pvp players out to dry because they have to deal with obviously broken classes like mesmer and necros.

I personally don't have an issue with scourge, or mesmers(though they can do everything pretty well). If they somehow were able to tone down the visual clutter those classes especially when stacked on a team create I would be happy.

@Chaith.8256 said:I'm also not convinced that it should always be a pre-established meta before any PvP happens, being able to theorycraft and create builds instead of looking them up on discord and metabattle, I think this only worries the sheep, and those who are only interested in playing the pro-approved monthly AT builds

I think it worries anyone who thinks competitive pvp can be anything more than a meme.

So you would rather have the current layout? Rn we have 1 major patch in the middle of each season and some random patches throughout the year. If something new is introduced that is totally broken it will be a part of the game for a minimum of 1 month during the end of the ranked season.

Why not introduce major balance passes at the end of the ranked season/the start of the unranked season? This gives time for anything game breaking to prop up and it gives time to fix it before ranked starts.

I understand it can be boring to have a stale season, but I think that's a different issue.

@Zlater.6789 said:

@Chaith.8256 said:I'm also not convinced that it should always be a pre-established meta before any PvP happens, being able to theorycraft and create builds instead of looking them up on discord and metabattle, I think this only worries the sheep, and those who are only interested in playing the pro-approved monthly AT builds

I think it worries anyone who thinks competitive pvp can be anything more than a meme.

So you would rather have the current layout? Rn we have 1 major patch in the middle of each season and some random patches throughout the year. If something new is introduced that is totally broken it will be a part of the game for a minimum of 1 month during the end of the ranked season.

Why not introduce major balance passes at the end of the ranked season/the start of the unranked season? This gives time for anything game breaking to prop up and it gives time to fix it before ranked starts.

I understand it can be boring to have a stale season, but I think that's a different issue.

I'm not worried because competitive PvP IS a meme. Ranked seasons are just casual fun.

You know what's not casually fun? Builds that are a disease on the game, every mid-season Tuesday it's fine by me if they adjust down the unhealthy meta in PvP

Archived