New Sunken Treasures, What The Heck Do You Do With Keys?

I can't figure out what to do with these keys!

I got one from a drop and spoke the the NPC who gave me another. She tells me to bring her a key and she'll tell me where the wreck is .. HOW do I do that? There's no conversation option that lets me give her a key, there's no 'Use' option on the keys and there's nothing in her item list that takes a key.

What am I missing here?

Pah, another of ArenaNet's utterly inscrutable dialogs. I didn't begin to think of looking for an achievement since nothing in the game even hinted there was one! And why did some script writer write "bring it to me blah, blah, blah" when there's no such mechanic?

I always thought Square Enix's quest writers in FFXI and FFXIV were vague and unhelpful, but ANet are outright misleading sometimes.

Many thanks, I was going crazy trying to figure how to do what the writer of the quest text TOLD me to do. :(

Indeed, where would we be without guides like this? God forbid games can be played without the need for 'guides' because the game itself is totally devoid of the necessary information.

I'm not asking for WOW-like 'X marks where you have to go', this kind of quest after-all is about exploration anyway, but given the sheer size of the world and in this case water it needs some kind of in-game hint and certainly not the kind of in-game misleading information this quest writer provided.

@Khisanth.2948 said:The thing about ships is doubly misleading since the actual locations doesn't seem to have anything to do with ships.

And yes, Khisanth.2948 , a very good point given the lack of any other information, exploring wrecks everywhere would be the obvious alternative and lead to countless wasted hours .. and in a game that doesn't require 'pay-to-play' extending players' time needlessly doesn't even have a revenue benefit.

[edit]

I partly take the last bit back, at least the one in Bloodtide Coast is in a wreck.

@Kraggy.4169 said:

Indeed, where would we be without guides like this? God forbid games can be played without the need for 'guides' because the game itself is totally devoid of the necessary information.

I'm not asking for WOW-like 'X marks where you have to go', this kind of quest after-all is about exploration anyway, but given the sheer size of the world and in this case water it needs some kind of in-game hint and certainly not the kind of in-game misleading information this quest writer provided.

If you go to the achievement panel and look at the sunken treasure / dive master achievements, each one does show you the location (or near to it) for each one on the map.

@killermanjaro.5670 said:

@Kraggy.4169 said:If you go to the achievement panel and look at the sunken treasure / dive master achievements, each one does show you the location (or near to it) for each one on the map.Yes, it's one of the helpful such panels, my 'issue' on this bit is that there's no indication whatsoever in the letter you receive or the NPC you talk to that there IS an achievement.

@Ardenwolfe.8590 said:I have to admit, without Dulfy, I'd probably have given up on this game a long time ago.Indeed, so much about this game is effectively unplayable without reference to third-party 'guides'.

I agree that the NPC needs to tell you the list of chest locations is in your achievement pane. Even if it was done in a 'lore-friendly' way like her saying she's writing you a list and then the next option opens the achievement list to show you it's there.

But I don't agree that it's necessary to use a guide to actually find the chests. I've found 3 so far - 2 by looking at the map and thinking about where sunken treasure is most likely to be and one by making a circuit of the water on the map. I admit I've not tried Bloodtide Coast yet where there's a lot of water and a lot of locations I can imagine them putting the chest, but even then I'm sure I'll find it. (And a circuit of the water on that map is one of my more tolerably farming routes, so I don't mind having to go round all of it looking.)

Of course if you just want to go straight to the chest as quickly as possible a guide is probably the best way, but it's not like they're hidden away in secret passages no one is ever likely to find without help. The 3 I've found were sitting right out in open water.

Archived