is it underwater or cantha?

so i've read a lot of comment about ppl expecting underwater (due to the patch/aquabreathing thingies)... and also other are expecting cantha (due to their own desires and the new jackal skin that is japanese-themed).

so which one is the truth????

is it underwater or cantha? (this poll is not about what u want... but more like what do you think anet will proceed with?)

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's entirely possible this underwater update is the first step in an on-going process to improve underwater content. This update seems to be mainly buffing weak and useless skills (which is a big improvement on it's own), maybe they wanted that done so it makes it easier to work on other changes, like how the targeting system works or what kind of skills are still missing.

Personally I'd love an underwater expansion at some point (or simply maps way out in the open ocean, doesn't have to be part of an expansion) but I have to admit Cantha seems more likely. But first we need to deal with Joko and Kralkatorrik...and work out what dealing with the dragons means after the revelations in Season 3 and PoF.

[spoiler=revelations]We can't kill them without destroying the world, besides they're getting stronger each time we kill one. But we can't just leave them or they'll continue their cycle of absorbing all the magic and destroying the world.

So my guess at the moment is Season 4 is us vs. Joko and the next expansion is something to do with Kralkatorrik. No idea where that will be set, I'm hoping for lands east of Tyria/Elona where we've never been before.

They are both connected. You need to go through or over the Unending Ocean to get to Cantha. Bubbles will be terrorizing Cantha. So you need to go in the deep sea to face DSD and their minions. It won't feel right doing just one without the other. They must both be in the same expansion. Definitely the taco ad girl.

the underwater changes are so minor. tis sad, but expected.

So do people hate underwater combat because of the skills or the x-y-z axis fighting?When we had that partly underwatrer pvp map it always seemed because to the x-y-z axis more so,but i love underwater combat because of the x-y-z axis and was only a little annoyed because of the blocked skills(which btw some are STILL BLOCKED)So i don't really get the hate.

I'm not going to speculate on which direction ANet will go in. Just sharing my opinion that expecting Cantha based on a single mount skin is far-fetched (and that's an understatement). And for an underwater expansion to be created they would need to do a lot more than just buff the damage of underwater skills. So no, in my opinion this is nothing more than the many wishful thinking posts you see so often.

@Cyrin.1035 said:They are both connected. You need to go through or over the Unending Ocean to get to Cantha. Bubbles will be terrorizing Cantha. So you need to go in the deep sea to face DSD and their minions. It won't feel right doing just one without the other. They must both be in the same expansion. Definitely the taco ad girl.

wait, as someone who hasn't played gw1,,, this new info all make sense now. the hype on underwater content, the Cantha teasers...

we're def getting both and anet is giving the guys everything they want.

Well, neither really.

But my suspicion is that we'll either get Kourna (focusing on Kralkatorrik) or we'll get the charr lands east of the Blazeridge (given the map expansion direction). It depends on the direction of the story though.

But I think we'll still be in Tyria/Elona for quite some time still. Maybe Expansion 4 will take us out further, but I'd put bets on Expansion 5 more, with how things currently stand.

@"Cyrin.1035" said:They are both connected. You need to go through or over the Unending Ocean to get to Cantha. Bubbles will be terrorizing Cantha. So you need to go in the deep sea to face DSD and their minions. It won't feel right doing just one without the other. They must both be in the same expansion. Definitely the taco ad girl.

I still don't get why folks think that the DSD will be terrorizing Cantha when the most "recent" (chronologically speaking) lore puts the DSD closer to Tyria than Cantha as it is currently fighting the largos who are close enough to send apprentices to Tyria for training.

Neither. The underwater stuff is likely just a long overdue update which fits in with the general pattern of ANet updates at the moment. There was precisely nothing in the update to herald further uw content - there would have to be a great deal more to make it viable for a full expac dedicated to uw (which I'm pretty certain is never happening). As for Cantha, in the unlikely chance we ever go there, I cannot see it being in the forseeable expac either.

@Pimpology.6234 said:the underwater changes are so minor. tis sad, but expected.

So do people hate underwater combat because of the skills or the x-y-z axis fighting?When we had that partly underwatrer pvp map it always seemed because to the x-y-z axis more so,but i love underwater combat because of the x-y-z axis and was only a little annoyed because of the blocked skills(which btw some are STILL BLOCKED)So i don't really get the hate.

def the skills.

• unusable
  • the UW weapons sometimes do not correlate with your in-land builds, example if u condi build, sometimes weapons have no condis at all lol...
  • lastly, some UW weapon skills make u go everywhere in random directions... (thief being the best example of this)... and it's super annoying. i'd like to be able to control where i wanna go

@Konig Des Todes.2086 said:

Well, neither really.

But my suspicion is that we'll either get Kourna (focusing on Kralkatorrik) or we'll get the charr lands east of the Blazeridge (given the map expansion direction). It depends on the direction of the story though.

But I think we'll still be in Tyria/Elona for quite some time still. Maybe Expansion 4 will take us out further, but I'd put bets on Expansion 5 more, with how things currently stand.

I'd say so too. I would say we'll go to Kourna during LS4 ending with the defeat of Joko and then off to the Blood Legion Homelands and the far Shiverpeaks for the next expansion to deal with Kralkatorrik. Primordus and Jormag have both been effectively written out of the story during LS3 maybe we'll similarly deal with the DSD while dealing with Kralk.

@"Cyrin.1035" said:They are both connected. You need to go through or over the Unending Ocean to get to Cantha. Bubbles will be terrorizing Cantha. So you need to go in the deep sea to face DSD and their minions. It won't feel right doing just one without the other. They must both be in the same expansion. Definitely the taco ad girl.

I still don't get why folks think that the DSD will be terrorizing Cantha when the most "recent" (chronologically speaking) lore puts the DSD closer to Tyria than Cantha as it is currently fighting the largos who are close enough to send apprentices to Tyria for training.

Yeah, it also probably displaced the karka way back in 2012 so I'd say it's and its minions are a lot closer to core Tyria than Cantha (especially as core Tyria contains or contained all the other elder dragons).

Also, we have airships now so we don't really need to worry too much about the Deep Sea anything in order to get to Cantha. Or of course we could simply reestablish the Asura gate network links to Cantha, maybe we'll get to do that during LW Season 5.

i hope something that puts everything we know about tyria upside down.

• the dragons we're trying to kill are actually responding on defending the planet.
  • the 5 original gods are not as "good" as we are meant to believe and are actually the villain of the story
  • a race that predates everything in tyria rise after the gods left and show that they are the original inhabitants of this planet.
  • a new foe that is more powerful then anything you have faced before, far more demanding and far more aggressive.
  • "tyria" isn't the real name of the planet.
  • there were only 3 gods originally but circumstances made 5.
  • because 2 elder dragons are now dead, problems need to be fixed.

something like that ^_^

@"sorudo.9054" said:i hope something that puts everything we know about tyria upside down.

• the dragons we're trying to kill are actually responding on defending the planet.
  • the 5 original gods are not as "good" as we are meant to believe and are actually the villain of the story
  • a race that predates everything in tyria rise after the gods left and show that they are the original inhabitants of this planet.
  • a new foe that is more powerful then anything you have faced before, far more demanding and far more aggressive.

something like that ^_^

i love these ideas, @anet should hire u as a creative contributor or whatever the word is for people who contribute ideas to storytelling/storywriting

@GenghisKhan.7842 said:Next expansion is going to be in the Playboy mansion, because Anet has released bunny ears

This pretty much sums up the bulk of these threads/fan theories. I would add to this that expansion 3 is going to be released in full anime style, because we have cat ears. So Playboy mansion anime style. It's pretty much a fact already.

@Pimpology.6234 said:So do people hate underwater combat because of the skills or the x-y-z axis fighting?It's a bit of all the above between the mobility, x-y-z fighting, and the skills. They improved a bit of both mobility and skills in the patch, though IMO not enough, but hopefully there's more to come.

@"Pifil.5193" said:I'd say so too. I would say we'll go to Kourna during LS4 ending with the defeat of Joko and then off to the Blood Legion Homelands and the far Shiverpeaks for the next expansion to deal with Kralkatorrik. Primordus and Jormag have both been effectively written out of the story during LS3 maybe we'll similarly deal with the DSD while dealing with Kralk.Why would Kralkatorrik go to the Far Shiverpeaks (where Jormag is)? Seems weird suddenly cut back across the continent (not to mention that would mean branding old maps which since they're "stuck in time" I doubt Anet would do).

Primordus and Jormag were put on the bus, but in such a way that they can literally return at any moment given that Elder Dragons rise when their minions gather enough magic for them, and they both have thousands of minions out and about.

Yeah, it also probably displaced the karka way back in 2012 so I'd say it's and its minions are a lot closer to core Tyria than Cantha (especially as core Tyria contains or contained all the other elder dragons).

Also, we have airships now so we don't really need to worry too much about the Deep Sea anything in order to get to Cantha. Or of course we could simply reestablish the Asura gate network links to Cantha, maybe we'll get to do that during LW Season 5.

These indicate the karka were pushed out of their homelands about 150 years ago and had been sitting on the Ring of Fire until Zhaitan's death (roughly). As for airships, those may not work - depends on how far one can travel with whatever fuel they use. It's a multi-week trip on boat, so there may not be enough airship fuel for the trip.

@Samnang.1879 said:

@"sorudo.9054" said:i hope something that puts everything we know about tyria upside down.

something like that ^_^

i love these ideas, @anet should hire u as a creative contributor or whatever the word is for people who contribute ideas to storytelling/storywriting

Please no. The Elder Dragons are not good guys, the gods are not bad guys. I don't get why people seem to like these "good guys are bad and bad guys are good" themes. Sometimes they can work, but many times they don't, and with how Anet's already established GW2, it own't here.

@Pimpology.6234 said:So do people hate underwater combat because of the skills or the x-y-z axis fighting?It's a bit of all the above between the mobility, x-y-z fighting, and the skills. They improved a bit of both mobility and skills in the patch, though IMO not enough, but hopefully there's more to come.

@"Pifil.5193" said:I'd say so too. I would say we'll go to Kourna during LS4 ending with the defeat of Joko and then off to the Blood Legion Homelands and the far Shiverpeaks for the next expansion to deal with Kralkatorrik. Primordus and Jormag have both been effectively written out of the story during LS3 maybe we'll similarly deal with the DSD while dealing with Kralk.Why would Kralkatorrik go to the Far Shiverpeaks (where Jormag is)? Seems weird suddenly cut back across the continent (not to mention that would mean branding old maps which since they're "stuck in time" I doubt Anet would do).

Primordus and Jormag were put on the bus, but in such a way that they can literally return at any moment given that Elder Dragons rise when their minions gather enough magic for them, and they both have thousands of minions out and about.

Yeah, it also probably displaced the karka way back in 2012 so I'd say it's and its minions are a lot closer to core Tyria than Cantha (especially as core Tyria contains or contained all the
other
elder dragons).

indicate the karka were pushed out of their homelands about 150 years ago and had been sitting on the Ring of Fire until Zhaitan's death (roughly). As for airships, those may not work - depends on how far one can travel with whatever fuel they use. It's a multi-week trip on boat, so there may not be enough airship fuel for the trip.

something like that ^_^

Please no. The Elder Dragons are not good guys, the gods are not bad guys. I don't get why people seem to like these "good guys are bad and bad guys are good" themes. Sometimes they can work, but many times they don't, and with how Anet's already established GW2, it own't here.

While I agree that the elder dragons being the good guys is unlikely, we've had plenty of indication that the human gods aren't either.

I don't know, he came from there, maybe he simply likes sleeping there? ;)

I mean, I'm assuming that these dragons have some kind of "lair". He's pretty full of yummy magic now so maybe he's getting sleepy?

Also I'm not sure about the brand, I mean if he brands whereever he goes then shouldn't the entire region have a lot more brand? I get the impression that branding is not free for him and costs him magically, also maybe he prefers being in his brand in much the same way as an amphibian so he may be inclined to go back up his current brand.I don't know.

Regardless, I don't think we'll be chasing him down specifically but rather going back to his "source" and deploying some kind of asuran gewgaw to deus-ex machina him back to sleepy sleeps.

Yeah, but I get the feeling they're going to be out of the fight for an expansion or two more.

Yeah, it also probably displaced the karka way back in 2012 so I'd say it's and its minions are a lot closer to core Tyria than Cantha (especially as core Tyria contains or contained all the
other
elder dragons).

indicate the karka were pushed out of their homelands about 150 years ago and had been sitting on the Ring of Fire until Zhaitan's death (roughly). As for airships, those may not work - depends on how far one can travel with whatever fuel they use. It's a multi-week trip on boat, so there may not be enough airship fuel for the trip.

Perhaps not, but I think we're OK there. We got from Lion's Arch to the Crystal Desert, after all and it's a similar journey from Istan to Cantha and apparently corsairs can field airships readily enough so whatever the fuel is it can't be all that exotic. All that's assuming you can't simply sail from Istan to Cantha the old fashioned way.

@Eekasqueak.7850 said:While I agree that the elder dragons being the good guys is unlikely, we've had plenty of indication that the human gods aren't either.

The gods are presented as fallable, not wholly evil. The only god made to be wholly evil was Dhuum, while Abaddon and Balthazar are both gods who were good but fell from grace, and we know that Lyssa and Grenth are more neutral than either good or evil. But both Dwayna and Melandru are never really presented with anything less than being good and kind beings.

@"Pifil.5193" said:I don't know, he came from there, maybe he simply likes sleeping there? ;)

I mean, I'm assuming that these dragons have some kind of "lair". He's pretty full of yummy magic now so maybe he's getting sleepy?

Also I'm not sure about the brand, I mean if he brands whereever he goes then shouldn't the entire region have a lot more brand? I get the impression that branding is not free for him and costs him magically, also maybe he prefers being in his brand in much the same way as an amphibian so he may be inclined to go back up his current brand.I don't know.

Regardless, I don't think we'll be chasing him down specifically but rather going back to his "source" and deploying some kind of asuran gewgaw to deus-ex machina him back to sleepy sleeps.

Kralkatorrik was never in the Shiverpeaks, but east of them in the Blood Legion Homelands (by map marking); and there's no reason he would be getting sleepy now that he ate a lot, despite common misconception the Elder Dragons do not go to sleep when they ate a lot of magic but rather when there's no more magic to be eaten (the latter causes the former, but the former will not cause the latter).

And he does seem to brand wherever he goes now that he has even more magic; there seems to be little brand where he woke up and began flying, but the novel Edge of Destiny does depict him creating the Dragonbrand by breathing golden fire on the land, while post-PoF he's shown as branding by simply flying over (this could be an indication of how Kralkatorrik utilizes Zhaitan's sphere of shadow since it's only what his shadow touched that got branded).

@Eekasqueak.7850 said:Perhaps not, but I think we're OK there. We got from Lion's Arch to the Crystal Desert, after all and it's a similar journey from Istan to Cantha and apparently corsairs can field airships readily enough so whatever the fuel is it can't be all that exotic. All that's assuming you can't simply sail from Istan to Cantha the old fashioned way.

Based on the map of the globe from Season 2, going from LA to Amnoon (which has plenty of places to stop to refuel, such as Fort Trinity) is not even half the distance as between Istan (fully hostile territory to anyone who could own an airship but corsairs) and Cantha.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/File:Tyria_%28world%29_map_2.png

something like that ^_^

Don't the Forgotten predate both the gods and the Elder Dragons? But, on the other hand, they seemed to get on well with the human gods. Maybe they were hoping the gods could be an option for balancing magic if the whole scion thing didn't work out; probably abandoned that notion after the Abaddon fiasco.

Archived