Server merge, event scaling, and mounts on starter zones

On level 1-15 zones, mounts do insane area of effect damage. Most players are wandering around on their mounts, looking for events.Events scale very badly, they were not designed against this power creep.New players (especially melee) can barely contribute to these events because everything dies before they can even use one skill. And even if they can, they will ususally end up with bronze or silver medal, even if they participate during the whole event. It is very unfair and not fun for them.

Now, even for high level players, lack of challenge is not fun. In some zones, there are a few events that still scale accordingly, some are even very challenging (example: Defend the Ash Legion's camp in Plains of Ashford).

I think you should lower a lot mount damage in low level zones so it doesn't do more than 10% damage (currently, it is close to 50-90%). It won't solve everything but it would be a start.Additionnaly, improve event scaling would be nice. For example, replace normal mob with veterans when there are many players (or high level players).

Events are fun, refreshing, but only when there is some challenge. I remember playing some events during beta, it was hard and requires a lot of effort. Today, most events are quite balance for solo player (unless high level), but scaling is extremely bad.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

Now, even for high level players, lack of challenge is not fun.

So why do they bother playing in lvl 1-15 areas? Clearly challenge is not something they are looking for.

I think they're usually either doing daily event completer achievements, or levelling up a low level character on an account with mounts unlocked.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

So why do they bother playing in lvl 1-15 areas? Clearly challenge is not something they are looking for.

Map completion, and events in the meantime I suppose. Yesterday, it was due to daily events. I was leveling my warrior and I missed most events rewards because of this problem.

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

I enjoy tooling around low areas from time to time, if nothing more than to do a world boss, and I often enjoy the 'do 4 events' dailies.

One thing that would possibly help the situation is have the 'do 4 dailies in Queensdale', for example, be 'do 4 dailies in Kryta', Maguuma Jungle, etc.

I posted this a while back in another discussion, it's something I would really like to see.

Make a server where you can't get a mount until you complete all the maps and get to level 80 with no boosts. You can move me over there right now.I deleted the 2 boosts that I had no intention of using. And also I would be more than happy to pay $10 or $15 a month for the privilege. You can bill me forthe first year right away.

I loved the game before the mounts when you played the game the way it was supposed to be played, that's my opinion any way.

I wouldn't mind if they tone down the damage component to minimal tagging level and gave a little back on the effect. It's the engage effects that are useful to me, not so much the damage and it definitely makes low level events feel like bop-a-mole. A slightly larger radius on raptor's pull, a 1/4s longer knockdown on springer's cannonball, etc.

@Inculpatus cedo.9234 said:^Why don't you 'delete', or use on a L80 character (you can throw all the items away) your L80 Boosts; and in doing so, open that Shared Inventory Slot?

OT: I'm not sure adding Veterans would help; the low-level characters might get little, if any, credit for hits on them; thus, same dilemma/different scenario.

I did delete them but I copied this from a previous post and forgot to change it. Fixed.

If a daily hits a low level zone I'm working in, I just switch to a ranged weapon and try to use either bouncing attacks (thief short bow, ranger axe) or AoE's. It works. But really, how often is that truly such a big deal?

Just curious if there was supposed to be some comment related to "server merge" in your OP?

@"DeanBB.4268" said:If a daily hits a low level zone I'm working in, I just switch to a ranged weapon and try to use either bouncing attacks (thief short bow, ranger axe) or AoE's. It works. But really, how often is that truly such a big deal?

Just curious if there was supposed to be some comment related to "server merge" in your OP?

Yes because before server merge (or megaserver), level 1-15 zone had only a few people insde most of the times. With megaserveur, there is a lot of people.And no, it is not a big deal. But it is very annoying when it is happening to you. I mean, trying your best in many events, but without only little reward because most of the times, you are running from monster to monster trying to hit something, but each time, there are 2 ou 3 mounts that rush and destroy everything instantly...

@Aigleborgne.2981 said:On level 1-15 zones, mounts do insane area of effect damage. Most players are wandering around on their mounts, looking for events.Events scale very badly, they were not designed against this power creep.New players (especially melee) can barely contribute to these events because everything dies before they can even use one skill. And even if they can, they will ususally end up with bronze or silver medal, even if they participate during the whole event. It is very unfair and not fun for them.Well... I do weekly key farms with new characters, and i will one-hit just about everything unless i play severely under-level (which i do run lvl 15 areas at lvl 10), so it's not a problem with mounts.

Now, even for high level players, lack of challenge is not fun. In some zones, there are a few events that still scale accordingly, some are even very challenging (example: Defend the Ash Legion's camp in Plains of Ashford).

I think you should lower a lot mount damage in low level zones so it doesn't do more than 10% damage (currently, it is close to 50-90%). It won't solve everything but it would be a start.Again... Not different than using a decent level-appropriate weapon and armor.

Additionnaly, improve event scaling would be nice. For example, replace normal mob with veterans when there are many players (or high level players).

That might work.Events are fun, refreshing, but only when there is some challenge. I remember playing some events during beta, it was hard and requires a lot of effort. Today, most events are quite balance for solo player (unless high level), but scaling is extremely bad.

They were hard because you didn't know what the hell you were doing. Just like everyone would wipe galore on the first boss in AC (the lieutenant) and a few months later it was done in 5 seconds.

• 2 months later...

@Tommo Chocolate.5870 said:

@"Kheldorn.5123" said:

I think they're usually either doing daily event completer achievements, or levelling up a low level character on an account with mounts unlocked.

Weekly key farming!

Archived