Content delivery quibble [Zeghai/Sunken Treasure]

I've got my issues with how the Mist skins and the sunken treasure has been done as a release mechanism. It's overall a small thing, but there's a level of opaqueness that bothers me.

If the community hadn't pulled together to track Zeghai (no seriously, you folks rock), the idea of having a wandering, untracked NPC selling skins in odd places and at random times would be unforgivable. But, this does at least feel like a community initiative, so there's some good that comes from it. It still needles me, though.

Two things that irk me about the sunken treasure approach so far.•By far the most annoying is the krait-killing requirement. No, it's not because krait are irritating enemies. It's because I can't find any! Because of the specific requirement, all their spawn points are camped to extinction, and it's irritating to have to wait for these things to come back (almost as annoying as finding events on Zone Event day...).•Not helping is the opaque reasons for not being able to open a chest. Is it a daily reset? 24 hours? Weekly? Character-bound? Account-bound? ...am I going to run out of allowable chests when the achievement is done? There's no clue how it actually works beyond seemingly being done to stop chest-camping. (The lazy part of me resents this, but eh. :P)

Not to be a complete ingrate, thanks for making the skins available in-game and for the underwater revamp. Doesn't feel quite done just yet, so please continue making our skills and traits more viable underwater, so we can chomp at the bit for that sweet underwater content (and expansion).

@derd.6413 said:krait have plenty of places they spawn (i find the ones in kessex hills usually have few ppl trying to farm them)

I'm about 50/50 on my luck in Caledon at the moment. I was shocked when I strolled by southwest Sparkfly on my usual plat farm that those were being camped.

I guess I find it irksome because it drags the game ever so slightly further into competing for tags, and that's not what GW2 was supposed to be about.

I have gotten my 10 krait quite reliably in my choice of two spots: ne Caledon, or the se lake area of Timberline. In the latter, either there are plenty of krait (even right after reset) in the central krait tower section, or the hylek village event is up and there are waves of krait for many minutes.

The reason a chest cannot be opened is you do not have a key in inventory. You are only limited by key acquisition. Unless you are saying you do have a key but the chest won't open, which hasn't come up for me yet due to not having enough keys to do the base achieve let alone try to repeat a chest.

I think the devs knew full well the community would have fun tracking the spawns, same way as with figuring out the hungry cats. It took almost no time for the full spawn schedule to be figured out, so the opaqueness there, if any, was far less than for, say, extant Mystic Forge recipes no one's yet found.

There are two spots guaranteed to get you 10 kraits in a few minutes:

• At any sunken treasure, since they spawn krait as people open them krait spawn regularly at each location. I haven't needed more than 5 minutes yet using that strategy.
  • Fractal 7 (Aquatic). The initial area contains about 15 krait in groups of 5 or so. No AR is required. Anyone with a DPS build can solo them; everyone else can two-person with a friend.

Update: As pointed out by others (notably @Bollocks.4078), the krait seem to spawn on a timer, not because people open the chest. I've rephrased my phrasing accordingly.

Also in Mount Maelstrom south-east. Lots and lots of krait, even five hundred feet below the surface. (From the deepest spot, it's about 4000 distance units to the PoI, and from there it's about 2000 units to the surface. A distance unit is about an inch(1), so the water there is 6000 inches deep, which is 500 feet.)

(1) I wouldn't be surprised to find that it's exactly 2.5 centimetres, which is a hair short of an inch.

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:

• At any sunken treasure, since they spawn krait as people open them. I haven't needed more than 5 minutes yet using that strategy.

is this confirmed? From what I've seen there are normally 3 krait guarding each chest. If they are killed they re-spawn automatically after a short time. Maybe they also spawn when the chest is opened, I'll have to watch for that closer next time I open one. I was camped at the one in Lornar's earlier today. I was the only one there. They definitely re-spawned without anyone opening the chest. I don't recall if one spawned exactly when I opened the chest.

@Steve The Cynic.3217 said:Also in Mount Maelstrom south-east. Lots and lots of krait, even five hundred feet below the surface. (From the deepest spot, it's about 4000 distance units to the PoI, and from there it's about 2000 units to the surface. A distance unit is about an inch(1), so the water there is 6000 inches deep, which is 500 feet.)

(1) I wouldn't be surprised to find that it's exactly 2.5 centimetres, which is a hair short of an inch.

That's where I go to kill krait for the daily key. It's the large structure in the water in the Mire Sea area. Up top near the vista is a daily treasure chest (like what you'd find at the end of a jumping puzzle). Be careful though, sometimes a nasty champion krait hypnoss is guarding the chest.

@Bollocks.4078 said:

• At any sunken treasure, since they spawn krait as people open them. I haven't needed more than 5 minutes yet using that strategy.

is this confirmed? From what I've seen there are normally 3 krait guarding each chest. If they are killed they re-spawn automatically after a short time. Maybe they also spawn when the chest is opened, I'll have to watch for that closer next time I open one. I was camped at the one in Lornar's earlier today. I was the only one there. They definitely re-spawned without anyone opening the chest. I don't recall if one spawned exactly when I opened the chest.

The point is: no one needs to go out of their way; we can get 10 kills at the treasure chests themselves.

As to the specific point: every time someone opens the chest, it seems to spawn a Krait. That could be coincidence or it could be that they regularly respawn even if the chests aren't being opened, or as you think they just regularly respawn. Whichever it is, that's plenty of krait for a daily.

updateI'll have to agree with @Bollocks.4078 : I arrived at one of the chests today just as 3 krait crate-hunters spawned (note to ANet: missed naming opportunity). After they were swiftly dispatched, I opened the chest (checking the log to make sure that I had indeed opened and got loot) and ... no Krait spawned. Still, Krait spawn regularly at each chest, so it's a decent spot.(I'll rephrase my post above accordingly.)

@Illconceived Was Na.9781 said:As to the specific point: every time someone opens the chest, it seems to spawn a Krait. That could be coincidence or it could be that they regularly respawn even if the chests aren't being opened, or as you think they just regularly respawn. Whichever it is, that's plenty of krait for a daily.

I don't think it's every time, but it happens with enough regularity to be reliable.

Though, looks like Fractal 7 is on my list of things to do! :+1:

There are a good amount of krait that spawn in the southwest of Sparkfly Fen by the asura lab and in the water. There is also an event that pops up frequently with waves of krait attacking the lab. The best part about that event is that the more players there are, the more krait spawn. I've gotten my daily doing this in about a full minute each day so far.

@Cyanchiv.2583 said:There are a good amount of krait that spawn in the southwest of Sparkfly Fen by the asura lab and in the water. There is also an event that pops up frequently with waves of krait attacking the lab. The best part about that event is that the more players there are, the more krait spawn. I've gotten my daily doing this in about a full minute each day so far.

There’s also an actual Krait Capital in the Maelstrom waters

Archived