New to the game, and confused... — Guild Wars 2 Forums

New to the game, and confused...

I spent some time looking at MetaBattle, and the one thing I seemed to notice is that the majority of "meta" builds are mostly melee. I can grasp the concept of why (big greatsword does more damage than some arrows seems logical), but what is the point of even having "ranged" weapons in the game if all the real damage builds revolve around melee? I ran around for a bit with an Ele and did the whole D/D variant, which was fun, don't get me wrong, but I don't know how many times I died or had to run for my life, which is disheartening reading all these posts of how faceroll open world content is. I get part of that is being new and learning the game itself along with the profession, but it's just odd to me that the way they have designed skill/weapon combinations means squishy light armor classes have to go toe-to-toe with enemies to be top-tier. I would love to play a completely ranged Ranger or Elementalist, but then I feel like I'm hindering myself from ever getting to even consider going in a raid. By all means, tell me if I'm wrong here, but this is just the general concept I have been seeing looking at these builds. Coming from typical MMO's, a mage dual-wielding daggers is a concept completely foreign to me. I will say, I have been having fun regardless. Axe/Axe Warrior has been really fun. Tried Necro for a bit but the army of minions is too much, and I don't know enough about anything yet to try to theorycraft something on my own. I know low levels is extremely early to judge a class considering you can't even specialize til 80. But then I think, if I have to play a melee Ele at endgame, how crap am I going to be then if I am already getting wrecked in the starting zones?

Comments

• Sephylon.4938Sephylon.4938 Member ✭✭✭

The point of being melee is actually to receive boons, and to cleave foes. If the entire group is in 1 spot, the mobs will all go to said spot, and all aoes can be dropped there. Additionally boons can only be given to players within a certain distance of the giver, like in the case of druid, aura buffss, and mesmer's soi (signet of inspiration). If you're planning to get into raiding, keep in mind that pugs have 1 or 2 slots dedicated to healers, so you'll very rarely die unless you wander too far from the healers that they can't heal you.

I am a giant tomato filled with love. I have come to sell you a house made out of pancakes.

• NecroSummonsMors.7816NecroSummonsMors.7816 Member ✭✭
    edited May 12, 2018

Ele has probably the best output damage for ranged option on staff. It's also a nearly glass cannon when use it so you really need to pay attention to not get hit by mobs. So here is a little build that you can start using even at low level, maybe you wont have all the elements but try to complete it in your best way possible. http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vFAQFAWnMICVOgdOA+MA8RgBCAJKEYA18Y0ad6yA
    Tips for healing
    With this one remember to use your healing skill to blast combo fields. Suggest combos to heal when attuned to water: staff skill 3 (water field) or skill5 (water field) + blast finisher of your heal or use the water staff 2 which is still a blast fnisher to do the same thing. Also granting yourself or allies regeneration removes conditions, so have 1 condi removal on all cantrips and when attuning to water or on water staff 5.
    Tips for damage
    Suggested combos for damagebasically revolve around blasting the fire field on staff 2 when attuned to fire. The most usefull one you should learn is: attuned to earth cast staff 2 then switch to fire and cast staff 2, from this your get might and fury. If for example you were on water can still do the same combo but this time use water staff 2 as blast finisher for fire staff 2 fire field.
    Tools to survive
    Cantrips like lighting flash(teleport) and mist form(invulnerability) will be your best friend to avoid death. Try to use arcane shield only when you're in melee range of mobs the other tool escapes are on cooldown. Remember also that fire staff 4 is great option to disengage. Also with the arcane trait line you'll also get an auto trigger on arcane shield when your health drops below 50%. Remember also that earth staff 3 is an aura that reflect projectiles so it's very usefull if enemy attacks you at range.

Try elementalist staff is awesome and fun, you really need to be carefull to stay at range, but with this build you've plenty of tools to escape and stay alive, learn this combos and you're on the right path for end game content with ele.

• mercury ranique.2170mercury ranique.2170 Member ✭✭✭✭

Melee range is always better even if you play ranged. Unless the foe deals heavy melee range for and you need distance to survive. The main reason is the use of support fields and combo fields. If you are a healer and can heal all at once it is much more effective.

• Shoridan.2569Shoridan.2569 Member ✭✭
    edited May 12, 2018

Until you reach level 80 and group content I would suggest to stop reading and adjusting your build to the meta. Below 80 you don't have access to most of the traits or optimized gear (some builds require 100% crit chance to achieve top dps, for example. Good luck getting it before 80).
    Focus on learning your profession - the traits, the skills, what synergizes with what and how to play the profession.
    You mentioned D/D elementalist: if you play it static you will die horribly. However, learn to dance around mobs and avoid being hit, while using the attunements to your advantage and you can take on an army. On top of that, only staff (which has very long range) elementalist is meta for pve endgame, besides maybe a well played sword weaver.

TL;DR - pick a profession, experiment, learn and have fun with it. When you get to the raiding part of the game you will have a feel of what works for you.
    For open world and leveling almost every combination works.

• If you are looking at metabattle builds wvw and conquest are pvp parts of the game, fractals and raids pve. There are no guids on open world (you can get away with anything there) and generaly one ranged weapon is good idea for open world.

Gw2 is diferent in then any other mmo i know because all weapons are used at melee range (even ranged). There are several reasons.
    1) Most offensive buffs and heals are short range so everyone stays together.
    2) Some weapons can hit multiple times when melee range
    3) It is easier to dodge atacks at melee range. Imagine a quarter of a circle. If you stand at the centre you can take one step and you are out but if you stand in the centre of ither edge you need to go 2π/8*diameter to go out

• Haleydawn.3764Haleydawn.3764 Member ✭✭✭✭

@ButcherofMalakir.4067 said:
    If you are looking at metabattle builds wvw and conquest are pvp parts of the game, fractals and raids pve. There are no guids on open world (you can get away with anything there) and generaly one ranged weapon is good idea for open world.

There is now an Open World category on Metabattle. But anything can be used really, those OW builds on Metabattle can be used as a basic template and then add in your own adjustments to fit your play style.

Most “ranged” weapons, are used within 600 units of an enemy because it’s easier to fire off skills which has a cone AOE or a ground AoE (ranger short bow poison volley, Elementalist Staff skills like Burning Retreat, Engineer Rifle skills, to name a few.)

The above was written as part of an attempt to waste time.

• You all have given good advice. I am not sure I will settle on Elementalist as I still haven't even tried all the professions yet. I guess I just have to get myself out of the "typical MMO" mindset because obviously things are quite different about GW2, most of them in a good way so far.

• HnRkLnXqZ.1870HnRkLnXqZ.1870 Member ✭✭✭

New to the game and starting with meta-builds from metabattle, seriously? Imagine a toddler who received his first Bobby Car and his parents handed him a users manual for a Lamborghini Aventator. Both are sort of cars, and one may lead to the other in the far future. But it is not like you are going to use any of that stuff anytime soon. The stuff written on those pages usually confuses newbies, because you need basic knowledge of your class to understand what is going on.

I've met players who forced themselves to play meta from scratch. Extremely powerful, but useless when it comes to anything that is not written in a guide and unable to do anything outside of the official recommended ultra-dps-rotations. Metabattle not teaches you how your class works, it only tells you what is most efficient.

Pick a weapon you enjoy, runes & sigils that sound like fun and equip yourselves with a fancy armor. Step by step you will learn the basics. You will find ways to be more efficient and talk to other players to get information. Once you hit 80, you can choose the path of meta. By then you know how your skills and passives work and you can decide on your own if you want to play ranged or not.

Pages like metabattle always show a distorted picture of the classes in this game. It is not like everyone in the game plays that way. It would be horribly boring with only 2-3 build varieties per class. Those builds are optimized on damage output. According to a certain group of players, that is all you need. Those however are not the entire population of this game. Honestly they are the noisiest, they always appear to be the majority because they shout the loudest. A big group of us not claims to have found the Philosopher's Stone, we found a way we enjoy the game and just do so ^^. There are more ways to play a class not just the few options listed on that stupid site ...

Knowlege is power, but without fame you are just a maniac. Keep scrolling, this is not the information you are looking for.
  • Obviously you are a new player but if you want to know about your roles of each proffesion in group pve content and about group strategies just ask and i will try to give you answer. For pvp/wvw there will sure be someone else that can help you.

Few last tips
    1) dont use lvl 80 boost on your first character
    2) try to stay away from defensive gear so you learn to use dodge
    3) dont buy any gear until you are lvl 80.

• Hoodie.1045Hoodie.1045 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2018

@SilverArrowsMP.2957 said:
    I spent some time looking at MetaBattle, and the one thing I seemed to notice is that the majority of "meta" builds are mostly melee. I can grasp the concept of why (big greatsword does more damage than some arrows seems logical), but what is the point of even having "ranged" weapons in the game if all the real damage builds revolve around melee? I ran around for a bit with an Ele and did the whole D/D variant, which was fun, don't get me wrong, but I don't know how many times I died or had to run for my life, which is disheartening reading all these posts of how faceroll open world content is. I get part of that is being new and learning the game itself along with the profession, but it's just odd to me that the way they have designed skill/weapon combinations means squishy light armor classes have to go toe-to-toe with enemies to be top-tier. I would love to play a completely ranged Ranger or Elementalist, but then I feel like I'm hindering myself from ever getting to even consider going in a raid. By all means, tell me if I'm wrong here, but this is just the general concept I have been seeing looking at these builds. Coming from typical MMO's, a mage dual-wielding daggers is a concept completely foreign to me. I will say, I have been having fun regardless. Axe/Axe Warrior has been really fun. Tried Necro for a bit but the army of minions is too much, and I don't know enough about anything yet to try to theorycraft something on my own. I know low levels is extremely early to judge a class considering you can't even specialize til 80. But then I think, if I have to play a melee Ele at endgame, how crap am I going to be then if I am already getting wrecked in the starting zones?

Melee requires you to be close to your opponent. Ranged weapons, especially when you play engineer allow you to kite enemies. As a core power engineer, I use the Grenade Kit and let me tell you, warriors are by far the easiest profession to kite.

As elementalist you can use the core Fresh Air build that uses scepter/focus as its' weapon set. For raids, if you want to play a ranged elementalist, use the staff. It is by far the best weapon in PvE to keep your allies alive. It also has the highest damage of all the other weapons, even scepter.

In open world content, everything is viable. You can use d/d as much as you want. I switched to the scepter/focus since it was more of a wizard like weapon instead of daggers. It's best if you use either scepter/focus for the quick, glass cannon damage and it teaches you to use fast reflexes in order to deal the most amount of damage or staff for supporting allies in raids.

• Vayne.8563Vayne.8563 Member ✭✭✭✭

Meta builds are specifically for high level fractals and raids. This constitutes about maybe 2% of the game, if that.

• Sagramor.7395Sagramor.7395 Member ✭✭

Meta build or no (sure metabattle has open world builds nowadays) leveling will be a very different experience than 80 and properly equipped for your chosen build. D/D Ele can be a ton of fun, but being a short range build requires some work to stay alive. You never said what level range you're actually playing with, but it's safe to assume you're not playing with a full kit of specializations, class skills (atunements), utilities, etc.

Then there's just the matter of how combat works in GW2. Not that this is how you're playing, but you can't just stand there spamming Lightning Whip and expect the mob to die before you've taken significant damage. You need to Dodge (moreso with Vigor), use Protection, Aegis, hard CC (stun, , daze, knockdown, etc.), and soft CC (cripple, chill, immobilize, etc.) to prevent yourself from receiving as much damage as possible.

• ReaverKane.7598ReaverKane.7598 Member ✭✭✭✭

Ignore Meta Battle until you know your profession enough to veto and adapt their builds.
    Also you won't really need it until you're going for Fractals and Raids. You can fake pvp and wvw with your own builds as well. And honestly, if you're in gw2 for pvp modes, you're in the wrong game.

• SilverArrowsMP.2957SilverArrowsMP.2957 Member ✭✭
    edited May 12, 2018

I guess I should have elaborated... I looked at the Raid/Fractal builds, but have been using the Open World section (looking at builds that are core builds only) as far as general ideas of what to build around while leveling. Also, I really have no desire for PvP. Of all the MMO's I've ever played, and that's a lot, I've only ever done PvP in Elder Scrolls Online. It's just not really my cup of tea.

EDIT: How is healing on Druid in this game? I like the idea, but in truth healing and tanking roles can make me nervous in the beginning. I really enjoyed healing in ESO, but it was honestly super easy. Tons of AOE heals made it pretty much faceroll.

• Here's one thing I can tell you since you're new to the game. SLOW DOWN. Don't look at the meta/endgame stuff until you've gotten your feet wet. Explore the world, take some time. I understand the late-game and challenges are tempting to you, but from personal experience it has led me to turning my head away from certain games (a few choices I cruelly regret now that I have a lot of time in GW2).

If you're looking into being a support, there's several options, and often it's granting/sharing boons to others as well as giving options to sustain. I think Druid is the only real open healing subgroup, but even base Guardian (and the Firebrand elite spec) has a lot of options such as boonshare and stability grants (shouts, FB second/third tomes). Mesmer has several options up their sleeve; Chronomancer provides modest group support and crowd control through wells.

Observe your options. Most classes have a ranged option and from what I've seen, Ranger, Guardian, Mesmer are kinda the trio in my opinion that lets you do things while also supporting those around you (though Mes will take a bit of tweaking).

"I may not have my shinies anymore, but I'm still an honorary skritt!"
    Roaming skritt needs caffeine badly.
    Oldschool electronic music enthusiast.

• @SilverArrowsMP.2957 said:
    I guess I should have elaborated... I looked at the Raid/Fractal builds, but have been using the Open World section (looking at builds that are core builds only) as far as general ideas of what to build around while leveling. Also, I really have no desire for PvP. Of all the MMO's I've ever played, and that's a lot, I've only ever done PvP in Elder Scrolls Online. It's just not really my cup of tea.

EDIT: How is healing on Druid in this game? I like the idea, but in truth healing and tanking roles can make me nervous in the beginning. I really enjoyed healing in ESO, but it was honestly super easy. Tons of AOE heals made it pretty much faceroll.

Generaly you have one out of 2 jobs in group based pve. Either support or dps. (in other parts of pve support is not that good because you might not have anyone to suport). Dps proffesion does damage. Support proffesion have more complex role that can be sumarised as this: they make dps proffesions job easier. Multiple support builds do this in diferent ways, either by providing boons (buffs), healing, blocking atacks for dpsers, pulling mobs to one place and ccing the bosses.
    Right now most popular support options are chronomancers, druids and warriors. Most of the playerbase think that druid is the best healer or that he is taken because of his heals but that is not the case. True reason why druid is take is that he provides unique dps buffs (spirits and spotter), might, cc and on top of that he heals so there is no reason to take another healer. His heals are not the best but are more then enough.

Last patch (8.5.) druid was heavily nerfed (40 percent healing down and lost big part of his cc) but is still requested as top tier option. If you want to play druid you have to relise that support proffesions play diferently then dps profesions. Dpsers have rotations that they folow. Good dps player can stick to his rotation even when distracted. On the othe other hand support classes dont have any rotations but guidlines. You need to react to encounter but also dont get too distracted to stop doing your main job (boons). Generaly support classes are more based on knowlage of the game then mechanics.

Personaly i main chronomancer (support class) and it is very fun for me because I have to react to the game and plan ahead. Thats why it never feels the same and it is interesting for me. If this is something you think you would enjoy then go for druid.

Do not feel discouraged. It is much harder to get into then dps proffesions but since not that many players play dps proffesions as support proffesions everyone will want you as their teamate even when you do the most basics things. Once you pick up druid just focus on giving out might. Once that comes into your blood you will have time to try thing during fights and adapt your playstyle/skills.

Most of the druid heals are aoe but as I said it is not about heals but about ultility. They might be aoe but also very short ranged so you have to be positioned correctly. But as I said healing is only the basics and what you do between (and also how you do the healing) show the diference between experianced druid and begginer.

@altermaven.7385 said:
    Here's one thing I can tell you since you're new to the game. SLOW DOWN. Don't look at the meta/endgame stuff until you've gotten your feet wet. Explore the world, take some time. I understand the late-game and challenges are tempting to you, but from personal experience it has led me to turning my head away from certain games (a few choices I cruelly regret now that I have a lot of time in GW2).

If you're looking into being a support, there's several options, and often it's granting/sharing boons to others as well as giving options to sustain. I think Druid is the only real open healing subgroup, but even base Guardian (and the Firebrand elite spec) has a lot of options such as boonshare and stability grants (shouts, FB second/third tomes). Mesmer has several options up their sleeve; Chronomancer provides modest group support and crowd control through wells.

Observe your options. Most classes have a ranged option and from what I've seen, Ranger, Guardian, Mesmer are kinda the trio in my opinion that lets you do things while also supporting those around you (though Mes will take a bit of tweaking).

I'm going to second SLOW DOWN! Pick a profession you like the theme of and just go with it. Learn the game, explore the world, most of all take your time doing it. You're not missing out on anything by getting to 80 ASAP, or planning out your 80 build before you've even got your feet wet.

• @Sagramor.7395 said:
    I'm going to second SLOW DOWN! Pick a profession you like the theme of and just go with it. Learn the game, explore the world, most of all take your time doing it. You're not missing out on anything by getting to 80 ASAP, or planning out your 80 build before you've even got your feet wet.

That's why I haven't used either of my 2 lvl 80 boosts. While I know I mentioned endgame content in my opening post, the best part to me about any MMO is exploration and "questing." I know a lot of people find it boring, but, I personally tend to roll solo 99.9% of the time (I have zero friends that play GW2) in any MMO I play, so I never really "speed level." I want to play every class to lvl 20 at minimum until I decide on what to focus on first. I like the aspects of a lot of the classes. I have always loved anything mage or archer or Sw/Shield (and from what I am gathering, those combos are just fine while leveling in Open World), but what my original point was is that it's just something new for me to get used to the idea of a GS Ranger or D/D mage or LB Warrior.

If you love Sword and Board, Mages and Archers you may want to give Guardian with Dragonhunter aspirations a go.

• Donari.5237Donari.5237 Member ✭✭✭✭

I will caution you that Elementalist is hands down the squishiest profession in the game until you get experienced with it. So if you stick with it be prepared to eat a lot of floor. Otoh it will make the other professions feel immortal (except maybe Thief, which is a close second on squish) and once you get really good with it you will be deadly. The main thing it won't teach you is weapon swap; the attunement dance is similar but involves a different muscle memory so keep an eye on that.

Playing everything to 20 is a good plan. You can also get a sneak peek by taking any profession you wish into the PvP lobby where you will be 80 with all skills and traits unlocked (though not the elites unless you own the relevant expansion(s)) and a free choice of gear stats. The exact skills will vary a bit from PvE, but it can give you a good overall feel for what the profession feels like though could be a bit confusing to choose from all the options without a natural leveling experience under your belt. There are golems and PvE mobs in the lobby to test attack, no need to go up against other players.

• mortrialus.3062mortrialus.3062 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2018

There's a lot to talk about in your post.

One of the biggest hurdles to get over in GW2 is wrapping to much identity into your specific weapon kit. I always first play tanky, sword and board warriors in role playing games. But that's not really much of an option in GW2 because of what sword does and what shield does and that was kind of my first rude awakening when I started playing the game. You just focus on the skills it gives you and when where they're appropriate. Raiding builds are usually min / maxed to just do as much damage as possible, and if they aren't it's because they buff the group's damage even more than just going for pure damage would do. Raids also have the advantage of having dedicated support healing them at all times making melee more safe.

When you're leveling or in the open world, ranged weapons are often extremely valuable. They're amazing when you need to back off from pressure and still deal damage to your enemy as you're mobile. They have their place in the game. PvP and WvW? They have their place. Even in raids they have their place.

But raid necros? They run scourge and use scepter.
    Raid Soulbeasts have Shortbow in their rotation.
    Raid Druids use Staff / Axe.
    Raid guardians use Scepter in their rotation.
    Raid Holosmiths run Rifle.
    Raid Elementalists use Staff.

When people say "Open world is faceroll" they have a lot of things you actually don't have.
    1. They level 80, and have access to level 80 skills and traits.
    2. Despite being downscaled to lower levels their high level and gear gives them an edge over a newbie leveling.
    3. They have leagues more experience with mobs that you don't.

Don't feel bad if you struggle a bit leveling. Everyone does to some degree. Just take your time, focus on playing safe and getting good at dodging and getting better.

While necro minions are amazing in the open world and for soloing, in more demanding serious modes of play they're actually almost completely unused.

snowcrows.com is the better resource for high end raiding builds. But you really don't have to worry about that just yet. That's still a ways away for you. Just have fun and enjoy what you enjoy for now.

• I have no qualms playing a support role. Would almost prefer it to be honest. I have never been the person who needed to top the DPS meters. I played a Bard in FFXIV until they took away most of it's mobility, and it was very much a support role with minimal DPS.

• Dayra.7405Dayra.7405 Member ✭✭✭
    edited May 12, 2018

A ranged ranger with tank pet (the bear-bow) is perfectly fine for Open-World it will just be a solo-play char not wanted (and not efficient) in group play.

Having several chars is common, some of them for solo some of them for group play. And you are not doomed to a build per char in GW2 you can always change it.

Even with level 80 your probably quite far from raids (elite skills, ascended gear, experience, i.e. know what will happen in advance). Play open world the way you have the most fun, grow in fractals and maybe finally reach raids.

Also keep in mind that meta battle group builds are fragile, they are optimized for specific settings (usually on the cost of survivability), they are less (not) error forgiving, they aren't the best if your solo or in not so specialized/optimized parties and they are a pain in the a** if you don't know what you will face.

• If you like support then just unlock druid and use your berserker ranger gear with runes of strenght and hop into some dungeons/fractals. It is not expensive gear and works even when playing dps so you will not lose much if you decide against it. If you find that interesting you might pick mire specialised gear as you progress.

I have no qualms playing a support role. Would almost prefer it to be honest. I have never been the person who needed to top the DPS meters. I played a Bard in FFXIV until they took away most of it's mobility, and it was very much a support role with minimal DPS.

currently only 3 meta support roles: chaos chrono, druid, and banner slave warrior, though druid's place is a but shaky atm due to the recent nerf-buffs to it. Other possibilities are very unlikely to be taken by pugs. Guild runs however are a completely different story. As an example, they are asking to nerf necro in pve, the class that no pug would ever welcome, because most guild runs now run exclusively necros for epi bouncing cheesiness on certain bosses. Basically pug runs and guild runs are night and day in comparison

I am a giant tomato filled with love. I have come to sell you a house made out of pancakes.

• @Sephylon.4938 said:
    currently only 3 meta support roles: chaos chrono, druid, and banner slave warrior, though druid's place is a but shaky atm due to the recent nerf-buffs to it. Other possibilities are very unlikely to be taken by pugs. Guild runs however are a completely different story. As an example, they are asking to nerf necro in pve, the class that no pug would ever welcome, because most guild runs now run exclusively necros for epi bouncing cheesiness on certain bosses. Basically pug runs and guild runs are night and day in comparison

I have enjoyed my first 10 or so levels on Axe/Axe Warrior, so maybe the banner support would be an option for group play (not that weapon combo obviously).

I've been very picky. Made and deleted I don't know how many toons now for one reason or another (mostly aethetics). I am not a huge fan of the Sylvari at all. I can't for the life of me get used to the jump of Charr, making vistas a nightmare. But I also think, it's a fantasy game, why play an IRL race? I did make my Ranger a Human Female, although after 15 levels the physique I chose (thicc) now looks like she has a shelf butt in most gear and it's starting to bother me haha. I'd rather replay 15 levels than dish out for an appearance change. I was running GS/Axe+Warhorn (sometimes LB) and Signet of the Hunt and the move speed from Signet + WH 5 was glorious.

• @SilverArrowsMP.2957 said:

@Sephylon.4938 said:

I have enjoyed my first 10 or so levels on Axe/Axe Warrior, so maybe the banner support would be an option for group play (not that weapon combo obviously).

I've been very picky. Made and deleted I don't know how many toons now for one reason or another (mostly aethetics). I am not a huge fan of the Sylvari at all. I can't for the life of me get used to the jump of Charr, making vistas a nightmare. But I also think, it's a fantasy game, why play an IRL race? I did make my Ranger a Human Female, although after 15 levels the physique I chose (thicc) now looks like she has a shelf butt in most gear and it's starting to bother me haha. I'd rather replay 15 levels than dish out for an appearance change. I was running GS/Axe+Warhorn (sometimes LB) and Signet of the Hunt and the move speed from Signet + WH 5 was glorious.

Right now there are 3 diferend banerslave warrior builds.
    Condition berzerker that has good damage in long fights - longbow, sword+torch
    Spellbreaker - decent power dps with option to take away buffs from enemies. Out of the 3 options its specialised the most (basicaly wanted whenever you need to remove alot of boons) - greatsword, axe+axe (if i remember correctly)
    Core warrior - slightly lower dps then berzerker but much higher burst so on fights with short burst phases it come rly ahead. Also brings tons of cc and loses no dps when using them -axe+axe, mace+shield.

As you can see power warrior uses double axes so you dont have to change that

• I've personally been really into my spellbreaker as of late, having switched to dual axes. Banners are a real good option for when you want to give buffs to certain stats. My Spellbreaker runs Phalanx Strength, basically meaning I grant might to nearby allies whenever I gain it. That temporarily increases power and condition damage.

I have no qualms playing a support role. Would almost prefer it to be honest. I have never been the person who needed to top the DPS meters. I played a Bard in FFXIV until they took away most of it's mobility, and it was very much a support role with minimal DPS.

That's one of my eventual goals, and I support those who go that route. Ranger has the spirits that recently got improved. Warrior has the banners. Necromancer has the wells (Chronomancer does too). Warrior also has shouts (but Guardian's has more utility in those shouts). Revenant? I find it a bit difficult to start at first, the starting curve is a little steep but you'll eventually get two support-heavy elites to work with - Herald and Renegade - but the latter comes with a shortbow.

Patience is a virtue, yes indeed - but it'll reward you once you've landed on a class that works for you. We'll be around to help you out with other questions, too. :)

"I may not have my shinies anymore, but I'm still an honorary skritt!"
    Roaming skritt needs caffeine badly.
    Oldschool electronic music enthusiast.

• I have a Ranger up to lvl 29 right now. Really enjoying it. Spent about 2 hours last night running around zones collecting pets! Up to 25 in my stable, and I like the flexability. Even if certain pets are better than others, I like being able to just swap it up every now and then for a change of pace. Running GS/Axe+WH with Beastmastery spec right now.

• SilverArrowsMP.2957SilverArrowsMP.2957 Member ✭✭
    edited May 16, 2018

An example I learned today to further my confusion, Revenant... Staff = Melee, Big Warhammer = Ranged. Say what now?!?!?!?

Edited cause I cursed and it changed it to kitten haha

• Yeah, remember that in Tyria all weapons are merely ways to channel your magic (even for warriors etc). This allows for somea really unconventional weapon uses :D

Mesmers shoot lazors out of their greatswords

• Kostis.1826Kostis.1826 Member ✭✭

The elementalist is a hard class to learn, especially if you are new to GW2. It is very different from any other 'wizard' MMO archetype. Basically the weapon set you choose will define your playstyle. The best thing to do is to ignore metabattle until you are L80 (and possibly even then), learn all the weapons / utilities available to your class.

If you want to experiment with L80 builds and/or other classes jump to PvP, unranked arena. You will die horribly the first (few) times but you will get an idea on the pace of combos and how fast your reflexes should, ideally, be.

• If you're testing builds and weapons in unranked PvP, test them on the training golems first to get a slight feel for it before you go into a match. There are some unsavoury and foul-mouthed characters even in unranked, and it can be off putting for some people, especially when you're still learning the combos.

I have infinite patience, but I still have a threshold for idiocy.

• Biff.5312Biff.5312 Member ✭✭✭

An example I learned today to further my confusion, Revenant... Staff = Melee, Big Warhammer = Ranged. Say what now?!?!?!?

Edited cause I cursed and it changed it to kitten haha

Staffs aren't just used to channel magic - they are used as sticks to bash people with as well. As for revenants and hammers - the Revenant class is all about interacting with the 'mists', moving between demensions in a way. So the ability to throw your hammer and have it return is no stranger than being able to throw your axe and teleport to its location.

• I do want to say one thing that I didn't see mentioned (there were a lot of words, and I... lost interest :P), mostly as an addition (and this is actually true for quite a few games): Melee weapons get you up close to the enemy, they put you in danger. Ergo, the reward for using them is more damage than the safer, easier ranged weapons.

"Samnang.1879" said: "dont need to watch anime its not necessary"

• @Biff.5312 said:
    Staffs aren't just used to channel magic - they are used as sticks to bash people with as well. As for revenants and hammers - the Revenant class is all about interacting with the 'mists', moving between demensions in a way. So the ability to throw your hammer and have it return is no stranger than being able to throw your axe and teleport to its location.

I get what you are saying. Like I said, it's my "traditional" MMO mindset that I have to overcome. Staff/Bow = ranged, everything else = melee, that's always been the case until I started GW2. And don't get me wrong, I actually like the new concepts this game is introducing me to, breaking the mold so to speak.

©2010–2018 ArenaNet, LLC. All rights reserved. Guild Wars, Guild Wars 2, Heart of Thorns, Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire, ArenaNet, NCSOFT, the Interlocking NC Logo, and all associated logos and designs are trademarks or registered trademarks of NCSOFT Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.