Eater of Souls fight is too difficult. - Page 10 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Eater of Souls fight is too difficult.

14567810>

Comments

• All this fight needs is hard crowd control skills. Every single profession has hard CC like daze, stun and knockdown. Bring as much of that as you can, and you will be able to interrupt it every time it tries to steal your life.

• Astralporing.1957Astralporing.1957 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Haishao.6851 said:
    I still don't understand how people can find this fight hard at all.

They don't. Most of this thread is about its pre-nerf state. People just keep commenting on those posts as if they had any relevance after the changes.

@Deihnyx.6318 said:
    Wait. People are still on that even post-nerf?

No. They keep commenting on pre-nerf posts. And so the thread goes on.

The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

• It was way to long since I did this one but what I remember was that he only steals health with one attack.

He does not do this attack repeatedly so I just charged at him for a few seconds then used skills to distance me from him. When I did it with an alt who didn't have any escape skills but more CC instead I just ccd him. Another alt I used ranged and just kept my distance. My brother on the other hand had lots of problems, though he plays a symbol necro and had lot of ranged he had still problems to anticipate the bosses movement. I had to coatch him through the whole boss fight.
    Not that I like that story instance at all but imo I didn't find it hard then, I did that boss with my main and a few alts and the only times I had problems with him was with my main the first run but ofc that was becouse I didn't know the mechanic of it.

edited February 10, 2019

@EdgarMTanaka.7291 said:
    It was way to long since I did this one but what I remember was that he only steals health with one attack.

He does not do this attack repeatedly so I just charged at him for a few seconds then used skills to distance me from him. When I did it with an alt who didn't have any escape skills but more CC instead I just ccd him. Another alt I used ranged and just kept my distance. My brother on the other hand had lots of problems, though he plays a symbol necro and had lot of ranged he had still problems to anticipate the bosses movement. I had to coatch him through the whole boss fight.
    Not that I like that story instance at all but imo I didn't find it hard then, I did that boss with my main and a few alts and the only times I had problems with him was with my main the first run but ofc that was becouse I didn't know the mechanic of it.

Again, there's no point in bringing that up. The thread was about the pre-nerf state, it has nothing to do with how the encounter is now. And even in pre-nerf state the difficulty of the fight depended heavily on the class used. Some could just roll over it, for others it was extremely hard (any minion-based build, which included all rangers that hadn't unlocked SB yet, had it really rough). Still, the encounter has been heavily nerfed, and the complains practically stopped after that point. So, all this thread is now is people doing ot with post-nerf state, and commenting in the pre-nerf thread how it's easy and nobody should complain.

Point is, nobody is complaining. Now, that is.

The whole point of a social game is to play with the people you want to play with, not be forced to play with the people you don't.

• After 2 hours trying to fight, multiple build changes and now a pain in my hand from doing this for so long. this has to be the WORST boss fight ever. The heal rate to the drain he does on any player below 20K health which is the average Health pool for a player in my arena. The rate spills means you will never regain enough health before the next life steal... That is beyond slack!
    There is flatly no way I can be strong enough to fight this boss. I just got back into guild wars and enjoying it up until this. I dont need to be crying and on the verge of a panic attack because of a bloody fight. Its not that it takes forever. Its the fact you have made the player completely doubt themselves to want to play, let alone finish it.

• Vinceman.4572Vinceman.4572 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2019

@Ayalin.6059 said:
    After 2 hours trying to fight, multiple build changes and now a pain in my hand from doing this for so long. this has to be the WORST boss fight ever. The heal rate to the drain he does on any player below 20K health which is the average Health pool for a player in my arena. The rate spills means you will never regain enough health before the next life steal... That is beyond slack!
    There is flatly no way I can be strong enough to fight this boss. I just got back into guild wars and enjoying it up until this. I dont need to be crying and on the verge of a panic attack because of a bloody fight. Its not that it takes forever. Its the fact you have made the player completely doubt themselves to want to play, let alone finish it.

Take a long-range weapon & stay away from him especially when he's about to channel his life drain. Ez pz.

R.I.P. Build Templates, 15.10.2019

• Aeolus.3615Aeolus.3615 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2, 2019

@Mitch.4781 said:
    I can't even remember this boss. I did all of the living story on condi ranger and I swear, I don't even remember it!

Zerker revenant...

I actually tough map was easy ._.

Mobs in gw2 besides hitting hard they have very basic mechanics.

• Nephalem.8921Nephalem.8921 Member ✭✭✭

@Ayalin.6059 said:
    After 2 hours trying to fight, multiple build changes and now a pain in my hand from doing this for so long. this has to be the WORST boss fight ever. The heal rate to the drain he does on any player below 20K health which is the average Health pool for a player in my arena. The rate spills means you will never regain enough health before the next life steal... That is beyond slack!

Do you know what a blue bar below boss means? You can and are supposed to interrupt the jump so he doesnt do the leech attack or you run out of the leech range. Its quite easy to kill it in less than 20sec if you cc him and burst when the bar appears.

• @Ayalin.6059 said:

It does indeed sound like you may be having problems with the Defiance Bar. The official GW2 Wiki has a great overview of the Defiance Bar. I highly recommended it.

• LucianDK.8615LucianDK.8615 Member ✭✭✭✭

Breakbars really need to have a better tutorial since people still struggle with the concept.

• @Ayalin.6059 said:

Sorry but "get good" is really the only thing to say. It's already been nerfed to simplicity and back.

The boss has a very simple, and very obvious rule to its health drain. And that is:

The health drain attack is deadly while close but does lower damage and healing while far away, so keep your distance.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/The_Departing#Walkthrough

First thing about the fight on the wiki.

Just take a ranged weapon and constantly backpedel/strafe. You'll kill it instantly. You don't have to care about the breakbar at all. Just stay ranged when it sucks you in.

All these squares make a circle.

• @flog.3485 said:

@pah.4931 said:

@olleandersson.4352 said:
    Am I the only one who actually enjoyed a bit of a challenge in the story for once? Reminded me of some of the fights in Guild Wars 1! More of this, please!

I think the problem was that for certain classes / builds (especially with pets triggering the heal) the fight SEEMED unbeatable, without any real clue as to why it was working the way it was. Difficult isn't /really/ the issue. It was not properly balanced. I know on my reaper, I kept dodging the attack and he'd still heal to full ... I didn't realize my horrors from Rise! were triggering it. (In no MMO ever did kitten pet AI ever work like that)

EDIT: also, the fact that it came after a long prelude without checkpoints, and you couldn't switch weapons (I know you could, but it wasn't intuitive nor common knowledge) made for very sour first experiences for people accustomed to certain playstyles. Again, especially for a game marketed pretty heavily as "play however you want."

"Play however you want" has never been about how easy/hard the game should be.....for the gazillon time.> @LucianDK.8615 said:
    Breakbars really need to have a better tutorial since people still struggle with the concept.

they never should had made it in the first place, its a waste of time and resources. making a tutorial for it will waste even more time and resources

• flog.3485flog.3485 Member ✭✭✭

@battledrone.8315 said:

@flog.3485 said:

@pah.4931 said:

Am I the only one who actually enjoyed a bit of a challenge in the story for once? Reminded me of some of the fights in Guild Wars 1! More of this, please!

I think the problem was that for certain classes / builds (especially with pets triggering the heal) the fight SEEMED unbeatable, without any real clue as to why it was working the way it was. Difficult isn't /really/ the issue. It was not properly balanced. I know on my reaper, I kept dodging the attack and he'd still heal to full ... I didn't realize my horrors from Rise! were triggering it. (In no MMO ever did kitten pet AI ever work like that)

EDIT: also, the fact that it came after a long prelude without checkpoints, and you couldn't switch weapons (I know you could, but it wasn't intuitive nor common knowledge) made for very sour first experiences for people accustomed to certain playstyles. Again, especially for a game marketed pretty heavily as "play however you want."

"Play however you want" has never been about how easy/hard the game should be.....for the gazillon time.> @LucianDK.8615 said:

they never should had made it in the first place, its a waste of time and resources. making a tutorial for it will waste even more time and resources

Well the tutorial for breaking a bar already exists in the game.
    Sadly, it is tied to a HoT spawning event that most seems to skip (the starting event chain in rata Novus with the golem). Personally I wished that this sort of event was tied to required story step.

• @flog.3485 said:

@battledrone.8315 said:

@flog.3485 said:

@pah.4931 said:

Sadly, it is tied to a HoT spawning event that most seems to skip (the starting event chain in rata Novus with the golem). Personally I wished that this sort of event was tied to required story step.

and if it was a POPULAR feature, then that wouldnt happen. it was also the only endgame mechanic, that i could do on my own.
    its a blue bar...nothing more. it didnt scare me away, but it certainly didnt keep me either

• Khisanth.2948Khisanth.2948 Member ✭✭✭✭

Defiance bar has been a pretty huge mistake, mostly because it has become a replacement for any actual mechanic in all content.

• Ashantara.8731Ashantara.8731 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Khisanth.2948 said:
    Defiance bar has been a pretty huge mistake, mostly because it has become a replacement for any actual mechanic in all content.

The defiance bar is a mechanic.

• Sad to find such a topic and realize they nerfed the fight because some people managed to come this far into story without knowing one of the most basic mechanics in the game. I guess for some, bosses need to be on a level of a lvl 5 baby quaggan.

@flog.3485 said:

That was a breakbar tutorial? And here i thought you could just autoattack with a ranged weapon and run in circles to solo that event easily.

• Honestly I had to google the boss cause I dont remember any difficult encounters in PoF.

A potential solution would be to decrease difficulty/stats of boss, breakbar, damage etc. Everytime the player dies to the boss. Or implement health checkpoints. Decreasing the overall difficulty doesnt solve the problem because gw2 is already easy as it is. I think the major issue is mostly learn to play and understanding game mechanics of an encounter. I still see numerous people throw themselves into champions and elites during events only to get downed within seconds.

I also see lots of complaining on map chat in HoT maps about content being too hard which is really not the case. If anything the game just doesnt do a good job at teaching players game mechanics.

• kharmin.7683kharmin.7683 Member ✭✭✭✭

The worst part of this fight, for me (a very casual player) was after completing it I had to listen to Joko's banter ... and then DC'd. I had to run the entire thing all over again.

I am a very casual player.
    Very.
    Casual.

• Ayrilana.1396Ayrilana.1396 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 4, 2019

I could have swore that one of the paths in the first HoT story instance, taught you about the defiance bar. To be honest, it doesn’t really matter if Anet were to add a very visible tutorial as people would forgot it or ignore it.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@flog.3485 said:

That was a breakbar tutorial? And here i thought you could just autoattack with a ranged weapon and run in circles to solo that event easily.

Hmm. You might be confused with another event. I am talking about the golem which doesn’t take any damage from normal attacks and whose purpose is to be reprogrammed by an Asura npc so that the active defenses of Rata novus don’t try to kill us.

• Khisanth.2948Khisanth.2948 Member ✭✭✭✭

@flog.3485 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@flog.3485 said:

Hmm. You might be confused with another event. I am talking about the golem which doesn’t take any damage from normal attacks and whose purpose is to be reprogrammed by an Asura npc so that the active defenses of Rata novus don’t try to kill us.

The bar can be completely ignored for the event...

edited December 4, 2019

@flog.3485 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@flog.3485 said:

Yes, it's that event. All you had to do was to keep the golem aggroed on you (autoattacking was enough for it) and dodge or sidestep its slow and clearly telegraphed attacks (where just running in circles let you ignore like half of those). There was no need to break the defiance bar at all.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@flog.3485 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@flog.3485 said:

Yes, it's that event. All you had to do was to keep the golem aggroed on you (autoattacking was enough for it) and dodge or sidestep its slow and clearly telegraphed attacks (where just running in circles let you ignore like half of those). There was no need to break the defiance bar at all.

That was my experience as well. I just attacked it to keep aggro and I think I tried to destroy the projectiles some of the time.

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@flog.3485 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@flog.3485 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@flog.3485 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@flog.3485 said:

Didn’t know about that. Last time I did my dailies it felt like the only way to progress the event was through cc skills.

@flog.3485 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@flog.3485 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@flog.3485 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@flog.3485 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@flog.3485 said:

Didn’t know about that. Last time I did my dailies it felt like the only way to progress the event was through cc skills.

The event is time-based.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Draw_the_shielded_golem's_fire_while_Agent_Zildi_reprograms_it

edited December 4, 2019

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@flog.3485 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@flog.3485 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@flog.3485 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@flog.3485 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@flog.3485 said:

The event is time-based.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Draw_the_shielded_golem's_fire_while_Agent_Zildi_reprograms_it

True, but when you take the aggro and there is no one around, CC’ing the boss felt like the best solution for me.

But anyway, without going too much off topic here,knowing how to CC should be part of a required story instance, not in open world where you can actually decide to skip the mechanic.

@flog.3485 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@flog.3485 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@flog.3485 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@flog.3485 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@flog.3485 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@flog.3485 said:

The event is time-based.

True, but when you take the aggro and there is no one around, CC’ing the boss felt like the best solution for me.

But anyway, without going too much off topic here,knowing how to CC should be part of a required story instance, not in open world where you can actually decide to skip the mechanic.

Using the special action key has been required in story instances before but how many people actually use it when it’s available in the open world?

@Ayrilana.1396 said:
    Using the special action key has been required in story instances before but how many people actually use it when it’s available in the open world?

"Using special action key" is not an uniform mechanic. It does different things depending on encounter. Learning to use it in one doesn't mean you will necessarily learn how to use it in another.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@flog.3485 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@flog.3485 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@flog.3485 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@flog.3485 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@flog.3485 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@flog.3485 said:

The event is time-based.

What does the special action key has anything to do with using regular CC skills ?

@flog.3485 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@flog.3485 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@flog.3485 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@flog.3485 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@flog.3485 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@flog.3485 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@flog.3485 said:

The event is time-based.

What does the special action key has anything to do with using regular CC skills ?

It’s a mechanic taught in the story just just like how you suggested using CC should be taught in the story. I thought my post was pretty clear on that.

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@flog.3485 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@flog.3485 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@flog.3485 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@flog.3485 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@flog.3485 said:

@Khisanth.2948 said:

@flog.3485 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@flog.3485 said:

The event is time-based.

It’s a mechanic taught in the story just just like how you suggested using CC should be taught in the story. I thought my post was pretty clear on that.

Okay, failed to see the connection. As for using the special action key, it has become relevant, especially in PoF, where you have events that tell you to use the action key.

edited December 6, 2019

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

And it's about as succesful as teaching a ranger how to use weapon skill skill nr 5 with a longbow (Barrage) and then expecting them to learn from it how to cc using Hilt Bash, when they have switched to GS.

Teaching someone how to use a specific skill slot does exactly nothing when the skill in that slot gets changed to something else, with completely different effect.

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

And it's about as succesful as teaching a ranger how to use weapon skill skill nr 5 with a longbow (Barrage) and then expecting them to learn from it how to cc using Hilt Bash, when they have switched to GS.

Teaching someone how to use a specific skill slot does exactly nothing when the skill in that slot gets changed to something else, with completely different effect.

Which wouldn’t be the case with CC.

edited December 6, 2019

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

...exactly the point i was making from the very beginning.

If you haven't noticed, i wasn't arguing against the need to teach players to use CC. What i was arguing with was this:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

I'm glad that i could bring you back to my opinion that you can't use special action key mechanic as an example for how succesful teaching CC might end up.

edited December 6, 2019

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

...exactly the point i was making from the very beginning.

If you haven't noticed, i wasn't arguing against the need to teach players to use CC. What i was arguing with was this:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

I'm glad that i could bring you back to my opinion that you can't use special action key mechanic as an example for how succesful teaching CC might end up.

The special action key example was made to show that people don’t look to use it when it’s available. In most cases, you use it right away. The only cases when you don’t is in specific raids (e.g. sab, sloth, etc).

Oh t’s a mechanic that’s taught in a story instance just like how someone was saying how using CC should be used to break defiance bars. While it may not be a 100% complete match, it is still a very applicable comparison.

edited December 6, 2019

@Ayrilana.1396 said:
    The special action key example was made to show that people don’t look to use it when it’s available. In most cases, you use it right away. The only cases when you don’t is in specific raids (e.g. sab, sloth, etc).

You might want to actually recheck this, because this is simply not true. I can point you towards several cases of special key use in the story when you either not use it right away (and need to wait for a specific moment instead), or it serves some completely other function (like, for example, switching between your weapon and additional skill set).

Someone who learned special action key use from PoF story will have no idea how to use them in other places (or at least no better idea than someone that didn;t do the story beforehand).

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

You might want to actually recheck this, because this is simply not true. I can point you towards several cases of special key use in the story when you either not use it right away (and need to wait for a specific moment instead), or it serves some completely other function (like, for example, switching between your weapon and additional skill set).

Someone who learned special action key use from PoF story will have no idea how to use them in other places (or at least no better idea than someone that didn;t do the story beforehand).

Regardless, its usage is taught in a story instance.

edited December 6, 2019

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

If by "usage" you mean "you can click/hotkey it, and some effect will happen", then you're right. Same as with my example of "usage" of "weapon skill number 5".
    The problem is, that doesn't actually teach anyone anything important beyond the most basic: "you use skills, stuff happens"

@Astralporing.1957 said:

@Ayrilana.1396 said:

If by "usage" you mean "you can click/hotkey it, and some effect will happen", then you're right. Same as with my example of "usage" of "weapon skill number 5".
    The problem is, that doesn't actually teach anyone anything important beyond the most basic: "you use skills, stuff happens"

Which isn’t the scope of my post. Could Anet do better? Absolutely!