Eater of Souls fight is too difficult. - Page 9 — Guild Wars 2 Forums

Eater of Souls fight is too difficult.

145679

Comments

  • Cyrin.1035Cyrin.1035 Member ✭✭✭

    Check out Peachy's video on how she handled it. After you learn the way the fight is over very quickly every time.

  • Lambros Augustus.6594Lambros Augustus.6594 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 19, 2017

    @Kal Spiro.9745 said:

    @Lambros Augustus.6594 said:

    @Kal Spiro.9745 said:
    I still don't understand what the problem was with this. I beat him with auto attack by walking backwards. The only time I used a different attack was when he lunged to break his break bar. Nothing fancy, just walk backwards, he's too slow to hit you if you just keep walking backwards, and keep him from using his move. It took forever, but it was completely successful. This was before the nerf.

    He sucks you in too you cant just keep walking backwards if you not doing enough damage it will just be a stalemate forever. That was before any nerfs.

    That means you're not breaking his break bar. Obviously if you're not breaking his break bar you're not going to get anywhere, but it also means you're entirely failing this fight since his break bar is insanely easy to break.

    Yah like I said I did it once before any nerfs. Without changing my equipment or redoing story but by bugging him on my ultra survival ranger. If I didnt bug him I would have been in a stalemate with him forever as I wasnt doing enough dps. I only came into this thread in response to the guy that was baiting earlier.

  • @Lambros Augustus.6594 said:

    @Kal Spiro.9745 said:

    @Lambros Augustus.6594 said:

    @Kal Spiro.9745 said:
    I still don't understand what the problem was with this. I beat him with auto attack by walking backwards. The only time I used a different attack was when he lunged to break his break bar. Nothing fancy, just walk backwards, he's too slow to hit you if you just keep walking backwards, and keep him from using his move. It took forever, but it was completely successful. This was before the nerf.

    He sucks you in too you cant just keep walking backwards if you not doing enough damage it will just be a stalemate forever. That was before any nerfs.

    That means you're not breaking his break bar. Obviously if you're not breaking his break bar you're not going to get anywhere, but it also means you're entirely failing this fight since his break bar is insanely easy to break.

    Yah like I said I did it once before any nerfs. Without changing my equipment or redoing story but by bugging him on my ultra survival ranger. If I didnt bug him I would have been in a stalemate with him forever as I wasnt doing enough dps. I only came into this thread in response to the guy that was baiting earlier.

    Ultra survival ranger. That sounds like my build. Cleric gear and signets with longbow. And I beat him by walking backwards and auto-attacking. So...

    Tarnished Coast - Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/NM |Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian
    |Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald
    |Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker|Weaver|Chronomancer|Soulbeast|Holosmith|Revenant|Mirage

  • @Kal Spiro.9745 said:

    @Lambros Augustus.6594 said:

    @Kal Spiro.9745 said:

    @Lambros Augustus.6594 said:

    @Kal Spiro.9745 said:
    I still don't understand what the problem was with this. I beat him with auto attack by walking backwards. The only time I used a different attack was when he lunged to break his break bar. Nothing fancy, just walk backwards, he's too slow to hit you if you just keep walking backwards, and keep him from using his move. It took forever, but it was completely successful. This was before the nerf.

    He sucks you in too you cant just keep walking backwards if you not doing enough damage it will just be a stalemate forever. That was before any nerfs.

    That means you're not breaking his break bar. Obviously if you're not breaking his break bar you're not going to get anywhere, but it also means you're entirely failing this fight since his break bar is insanely easy to break.

    Yah like I said I did it once before any nerfs. Without changing my equipment or redoing story but by bugging him on my ultra survival ranger. If I didnt bug him I would have been in a stalemate with him forever as I wasnt doing enough dps. I only came into this thread in response to the guy that was baiting earlier.

    Ultra survival ranger. That sounds like my build. Cleric gear and signets with longbow. And I beat him by walking backwards and auto-attacking. So...

    Ok you go with that story but mine is authentic.

  • @Lambros Augustus.6594 said:

    @Kal Spiro.9745 said:

    @Lambros Augustus.6594 said:

    @Kal Spiro.9745 said:

    @Lambros Augustus.6594 said:

    @Kal Spiro.9745 said:
    I still don't understand what the problem was with this. I beat him with auto attack by walking backwards. The only time I used a different attack was when he lunged to break his break bar. Nothing fancy, just walk backwards, he's too slow to hit you if you just keep walking backwards, and keep him from using his move. It took forever, but it was completely successful. This was before the nerf.

    He sucks you in too you cant just keep walking backwards if you not doing enough damage it will just be a stalemate forever. That was before any nerfs.

    That means you're not breaking his break bar. Obviously if you're not breaking his break bar you're not going to get anywhere, but it also means you're entirely failing this fight since his break bar is insanely easy to break.

    Yah like I said I did it once before any nerfs. Without changing my equipment or redoing story but by bugging him on my ultra survival ranger. If I didnt bug him I would have been in a stalemate with him forever as I wasnt doing enough dps. I only came into this thread in response to the guy that was baiting earlier.

    Ultra survival ranger. That sounds like my build. Cleric gear and signets with longbow. And I beat him by walking backwards and auto-attacking. So...

    Ok you go with that story but mine is authentic.

    Facts, guy. This was a cake walk before they nerfed it. Just break his break bar and he can't use his special attack. He doesn't pull you in, he doesn't heal up, he just follows you dumbly unable to do anything. I had to do this stupid thing twice because the first time it crashed while I was talking to Joko after the fight. It worked both times, it was pathetically easy, and this was in the first week on PoF. If you had issues, and you're not looking at serious lag problems, then the only possible issue is severely lacking skill. It isn't even git gud, it's get mediocre and you can beat this boss every time.

    Tarnished Coast - Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/NM |Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian
    |Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald
    |Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker|Weaver|Chronomancer|Soulbeast|Holosmith|Revenant|Mirage

  • @Kal Spiro.9745 said:

    @Lambros Augustus.6594 said:

    @Kal Spiro.9745 said:

    @Lambros Augustus.6594 said:

    @Kal Spiro.9745 said:

    @Lambros Augustus.6594 said:

    @Kal Spiro.9745 said:
    I still don't understand what the problem was with this. I beat him with auto attack by walking backwards. The only time I used a different attack was when he lunged to break his break bar. Nothing fancy, just walk backwards, he's too slow to hit you if you just keep walking backwards, and keep him from using his move. It took forever, but it was completely successful. This was before the nerf.

    He sucks you in too you cant just keep walking backwards if you not doing enough damage it will just be a stalemate forever. That was before any nerfs.

    That means you're not breaking his break bar. Obviously if you're not breaking his break bar you're not going to get anywhere, but it also means you're entirely failing this fight since his break bar is insanely easy to break.

    Yah like I said I did it once before any nerfs. Without changing my equipment or redoing story but by bugging him on my ultra survival ranger. If I didnt bug him I would have been in a stalemate with him forever as I wasnt doing enough dps. I only came into this thread in response to the guy that was baiting earlier.

    Ultra survival ranger. That sounds like my build. Cleric gear and signets with longbow. And I beat him by walking backwards and auto-attacking. So...

    Ok you go with that story but mine is authentic.

    Facts, guy. This was a cake walk before they nerfed it. Just break his break bar and he can't use his special attack. He doesn't pull you in, he doesn't heal up, he just follows you dumbly unable to do anything. I had to do this stupid thing twice because the first time it crashed while I was talking to Joko after the fight. It worked both times, it was pathetically easy, and this was in the first week on PoF. If you had issues, and you're not looking at serious lag problems, then the only possible issue is severely lacking skill. It isn't even git gud, it's get mediocre and you can beat this boss every time.

    Ok you just trolling me. Careful who you troll in the afterlife can be brutal for you.

  • @Lambros Augustus.6594 said:

    @Kal Spiro.9745 said:

    @Lambros Augustus.6594 said:

    @Kal Spiro.9745 said:

    @Lambros Augustus.6594 said:

    @Kal Spiro.9745 said:

    @Lambros Augustus.6594 said:

    @Kal Spiro.9745 said:
    I still don't understand what the problem was with this. I beat him with auto attack by walking backwards. The only time I used a different attack was when he lunged to break his break bar. Nothing fancy, just walk backwards, he's too slow to hit you if you just keep walking backwards, and keep him from using his move. It took forever, but it was completely successful. This was before the nerf.

    He sucks you in too you cant just keep walking backwards if you not doing enough damage it will just be a stalemate forever. That was before any nerfs.

    That means you're not breaking his break bar. Obviously if you're not breaking his break bar you're not going to get anywhere, but it also means you're entirely failing this fight since his break bar is insanely easy to break.

    Yah like I said I did it once before any nerfs. Without changing my equipment or redoing story but by bugging him on my ultra survival ranger. If I didnt bug him I would have been in a stalemate with him forever as I wasnt doing enough dps. I only came into this thread in response to the guy that was baiting earlier.

    Ultra survival ranger. That sounds like my build. Cleric gear and signets with longbow. And I beat him by walking backwards and auto-attacking. So...

    Ok you go with that story but mine is authentic.

    Facts, guy. This was a cake walk before they nerfed it. Just break his break bar and he can't use his special attack. He doesn't pull you in, he doesn't heal up, he just follows you dumbly unable to do anything. I had to do this stupid thing twice because the first time it crashed while I was talking to Joko after the fight. It worked both times, it was pathetically easy, and this was in the first week on PoF. If you had issues, and you're not looking at serious lag problems, then the only possible issue is severely lacking skill. It isn't even git gud, it's get mediocre and you can beat this boss every time.

    Ok you just trolling me. Careful who you troll in the afterlife can be brutal for you.

    Not if the soul eater is the biggest fish, cause he's an easy kill, just takes forever cause I don't do enough damage.

    Tarnished Coast - Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/NM |Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian
    |Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald
    |Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker|Weaver|Chronomancer|Soulbeast|Holosmith|Revenant|Mirage

  • DirtyDan.4759DirtyDan.4759 Member ✭✭✭

    Don't tell me this boss is still an issue? Guys, come on. Get good.

  • Just nerf it so we can 1hit it with auto attack and do same too balth and everyone will be happy

  • Obtena.7952Obtena.7952 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 22, 2017

    @Lambros Augustus.6594 said:

    @Kal Spiro.9745 said:

    @Lambros Augustus.6594 said:

    @Kal Spiro.9745 said:

    @Lambros Augustus.6594 said:

    @Kal Spiro.9745 said:
    I still don't understand what the problem was with this. I beat him with auto attack by walking backwards. The only time I used a different attack was when he lunged to break his break bar. Nothing fancy, just walk backwards, he's too slow to hit you if you just keep walking backwards, and keep him from using his move. It took forever, but it was completely successful. This was before the nerf.

    He sucks you in too you cant just keep walking backwards if you not doing enough damage it will just be a stalemate forever. That was before any nerfs.

    That means you're not breaking his break bar. Obviously if you're not breaking his break bar you're not going to get anywhere, but it also means you're entirely failing this fight since his break bar is insanely easy to break.

    Yah like I said I did it once before any nerfs. Without changing my equipment or redoing story but by bugging him on my ultra survival ranger. If I didnt bug him I would have been in a stalemate with him forever as I wasnt doing enough dps. I only came into this thread in response to the guy that was baiting earlier.

    Ultra survival ranger. That sounds like my build. Cleric gear and signets with longbow. And I beat him by walking backwards and auto-attacking. So...

    Ok you go with that story but mine is authentic.

    Hold on ... to be fair, that strategy worked very well. I took a melee Warrior with shouts ... I simply kited around him in a circle. It's one of the oldest MMO tricks in the book. When he started his ray attack, I ducked behind a tree. I actually found the instance ... pretty basic.

    I did the EXACT thing in the fight with Balthazar right before that part of the story as well... it's a pretty common tactic against mobs that have 'facing' attacks.

    This thread has a serious problem ... MMO gamers that don't want to solve problems. If people can't figure these things out, there isn't a reason to nerf the encounter for them.

    If you think balancing is only driven by performance and justified by comparisons to other classes then prepare to be educated:

    https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/balance-updates-the-heralds-near-future-and-pvp-league-season-13/

  • Deihnyx.6318Deihnyx.6318 Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 22, 2017

    @Laila Lightness.8742 said:
    Just nerf it so we can 1hit it with auto attack and do same too balth and everyone will be happy

    Not everyone. There are people who actually want to play a game and not a telltale adventure.

  • The movement pattern on this fight was easy enough to learn, so I was able to be away from the boss when it did the strong attack. I think it should not be too hard for any class due to that once you figure it out. It was definitely a difficulty spike in the story though. Also due to the stakes being really high, dying on it will be very immersion breaking which might not be a good thing. I still enjoyed the challenge of it overall.

  • I just defeated him, I got him stuck in between some wood beside the broken bridge, then spammed my wand and aoe/ranged spells. (I was using a firebrand guardian)

  • Twyn.7320Twyn.7320 Member ✭✭✭

    The worrying part about this is that this fight has always been easy af. It's just about destroying a break-bar, and it's even more worrying that people can't work that out in a game that's full of break-bars. Also, before someone says: "Try doing it on a Thief." I did my first playthrough of the PoF story in about 9 hours on a Daredevil, on release night. It's really not difficult.

  • Okay... just as a side note to this thread, some people here are really condescending to others. This is an extremely difficult fight depending on build. When I was Sw/D weaver it was literally impossible.

    If a player doesn't know they can switch weapons by right clicking their weapon in their hero menu, they wouldn't be able to do literally anything. As soon as I switched to staff it was super easy, but without access to inventory, some players might not know how to switch. I guarantee you if you did not have the proper build to fight this it would be quite literally impossible.

    Some people can beat this while practically afk, others require a feat of Olympian strength.

    No one is impressed how easily you beat this. "Learn to play" without any other input isn't helpful to anyone and really is not welcome.

  • sevenDEADLY.5281sevenDEADLY.5281 Member ✭✭✭

    You necroed a thread from 3 months ago just to complain about an argument that was long over? Smooth move ex lax. Also you basically just made their point, that its exactly a player issue (a L2P issue).

  • sevenDEADLY.5281sevenDEADLY.5281 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 26, 2018

    @Tenrai Senshi.2017 said:
    As a final note, I will agree that some players can be very short or blunt with their feedback, and it can be frustrating, but maybe they are also just frustrated because people always complain at every little hurdle they face, and undue complaints often lead to the unnecessary toning down of content.

    Can I get an amen

  • Kondor.2904Kondor.2904 Member ✭✭✭

    Wait, do i understand correctly that some people are actually trying to outdamage his heal instead of swapping some utilities/weapons and interrupting him ?

  • Kal Spiro.9745Kal Spiro.9745 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 26, 2018

    @Arathor.5819 said:
    Okay... just as a side note to this thread, some people here are really condescending to others. This is an extremely difficult fight depending on build. When I was Sw/D weaver it was literally impossible.

    If a player doesn't know they can switch weapons by right clicking their weapon in their hero menu, they wouldn't be able to do literally anything. As soon as I switched to staff it was super easy, but without access to inventory, some players might not know how to switch. I guarantee you if you did not have the proper build to fight this it would be quite literally impossible.

    Some people can beat this while practically afk, others require a feat of Olympian strength.

    No one is impressed how easily you beat this. "Learn to play" without any other input isn't helpful to anyone and really is not welcome.

    Sorry, but Air attunement 5 is all you need. It's an instant pushback which would stop him cold before he could use the power, and that is literally all you need to do, stop him from using the power. The condescension is coming from these claims that it's somehow impossible even though you have more than enough within your power to accomplish it. If you still can't, unless you live in a state of unreasonable lag, it's fully on you and only you.

    Also, if you don't know how to swap your weapon by the time you're doing PoF story, you're doing something very wrong.

    Tarnished Coast - Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/NM |Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian
    |Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald
    |Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker|Weaver|Chronomancer|Soulbeast|Holosmith|Revenant|Mirage

  • Ashen.2907Ashen.2907 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Arathor.5819 said:
    Okay... just as a side note to this thread, some people here are really condescending to others. This is an extremely difficult fight depending on build. When I was Sw/D weaver it was literally impossible.

    If a player doesn't know they can switch weapons by right clicking their weapon in their hero menu, they wouldn't be able to do literally anything. As soon as I switched to staff it was super easy, but without access to inventory, some players might not know how to switch. I guarantee you if you did not have the proper build to fight this it would be quite literally impossible.

    Some people can beat this while practically afk, others require a feat of Olympian strength.

    No one is impressed how easily you beat this. "Learn to play" without any other input isn't helpful to anyone and really is not welcome.

    Considering that the thread was going on three months since the last post before yours, and longer still since some of the posts you describe, I am not sure of the relevance of this commentary.

  • Ashen.2907Ashen.2907 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Kondor.2904 said:
    Wait, do i understand correctly that some people are actually trying to outdamage his heal instead of swapping some utilities/weapons and interrupting him ?

    Outdamaging his heal is a viable option (or at least was originally)

  • Queen.5837Queen.5837 Member ✭✭

    I defeated it with tempest, but it was one of the worst experiences in the game.
    All I could do was put down my AoE skills, get killed, respawn and repeat.
    Or maybe I'm just bad at the game :p

  • Kal Spiro.9745Kal Spiro.9745 Member ✭✭✭

    @Ashen.2907 said:

    @Kondor.2904 said:
    Wait, do i understand correctly that some people are actually trying to outdamage his heal instead of swapping some utilities/weapons and interrupting him ?

    Outdamaging his heal is a viable option (or at least was originally)

    It's also a silly option when it's so very much simpler to just break his bar and not let him heal at all.

    Tarnished Coast - Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/NM |Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian
    |Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald
    |Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker|Weaver|Chronomancer|Soulbeast|Holosmith|Revenant|Mirage

  • Ashen.2907Ashen.2907 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Kal Spiro.9745 said:

    @Ashen.2907 said:

    @Kondor.2904 said:
    Wait, do i understand correctly that some people are actually trying to outdamage his heal instead of swapping some utilities/weapons and interrupting him ?

    Outdamaging his heal is a viable option (or at least was originally)

    It's also a silly option when it's so very much simpler to just break his bar and not let him heal at all.

    I didnt find it to be silly to kill a boss before he can heal himself.

  • Kal Spiro.9745Kal Spiro.9745 Member ✭✭✭

    Just think how much faster it would have been if he hadn't even tried, I suppose

    Tarnished Coast - Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/NM |Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian
    |Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald
    |Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker|Weaver|Chronomancer|Soulbeast|Holosmith|Revenant|Mirage

  • Haishao.6851Haishao.6851 Member ✭✭✭

    I still don't understand how people can find this fight hard at all.
    Just spam 1 and dodge back when he jumps and don't stand in the circle. Then repeat.

    Some open world veteran are a much bigger pain in the kitten than this "boss" ever was.

  • Elva.6372Elva.6372 Member ✭✭✭

    I don't want the solo/personal story aspects of the game to be a hassle -we have dungeons champions for that -I've been struggling with the LW solo stuff since HoT and have tabled any further progress on it for now because it's about as enjoyable as pulling one's fingernails out with pliers.

    There really needs to be a "story mode" for story modes in the game.

    Remembrance, fallen from heaven, and madness risen from hell...

  • @Ashen.2907 said:

    @Arathor.5819 said:
    Okay... just as a side note to this thread, some people here are really condescending to others. This is an extremely difficult fight depending on build. When I was Sw/D weaver it was literally impossible.

    If a player doesn't know they can switch weapons by right clicking their weapon in their hero menu, they wouldn't be able to do literally anything. As soon as I switched to staff it was super easy, but without access to inventory, some players might not know how to switch. I guarantee you if you did not have the proper build to fight this it would be quite literally impossible.

    Some people can beat this while practically afk, others require a feat of Olympian strength.

    No one is impressed how easily you beat this. "Learn to play" without any other input isn't helpful to anyone and really is not welcome.

    Considering that the thread was going on three months since the last post before yours, and longer still since some of the posts you describe, I am not sure of the relevance of this commentary.

    The length of time since a previous post does not affect the relevance of the commentary on it. If they were arrogant 3 months ago, they were will arrogant, and the comments will still be arrogant 3 months in the future.

  • Ashen.2907Ashen.2907 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Arathor.5819 said:

    @Ashen.2907 said:

    @Arathor.5819 said:
    Okay... just as a side note to this thread, some people here are really condescending to others. This is an extremely difficult fight depending on build. When I was Sw/D weaver it was literally impossible.

    If a player doesn't know they can switch weapons by right clicking their weapon in their hero menu, they wouldn't be able to do literally anything. As soon as I switched to staff it was super easy, but without access to inventory, some players might not know how to switch. I guarantee you if you did not have the proper build to fight this it would be quite literally impossible.

    Some people can beat this while practically afk, others require a feat of Olympian strength.

    No one is impressed how easily you beat this. "Learn to play" without any other input isn't helpful to anyone and really is not welcome.

    Considering that the thread was going on three months since the last post before yours, and longer still since some of the posts you describe, I am not sure of the relevance of this commentary.

    The length of time since a previous post does not affect the relevance of the commentary on it. If they were arrogant 3 months ago, they were will arrogant, and the comments will still be arrogant 3 months in the future.

    Of course the passage of time, and change that usually accompanies that passage, affects relevance. The, supposed, arrogance becomes less relevant to the current state of affairs and so commentary on that arrogance is similarly less relevant.

  • @Ashen.2907 said:

    @Arathor.5819 said:

    @Ashen.2907 said:

    @Arathor.5819 said:
    Okay... just as a side note to this thread, some people here are really condescending to others. This is an extremely difficult fight depending on build. When I was Sw/D weaver it was literally impossible.

    If a player doesn't know they can switch weapons by right clicking their weapon in their hero menu, they wouldn't be able to do literally anything. As soon as I switched to staff it was super easy, but without access to inventory, some players might not know how to switch. I guarantee you if you did not have the proper build to fight this it would be quite literally impossible.

    Some people can beat this while practically afk, others require a feat of Olympian strength.

    No one is impressed how easily you beat this. "Learn to play" without any other input isn't helpful to anyone and really is not welcome.

    Considering that the thread was going on three months since the last post before yours, and longer still since some of the posts you describe, I am not sure of the relevance of this commentary.

    The length of time since a previous post does not affect the relevance of the commentary on it. If they were arrogant 3 months ago, they were will arrogant, and the comments will still be arrogant 3 months in the future.

    Of course the passage of time, and change that usually accompanies that passage, affects relevance. The, supposed, arrogance becomes less relevant to the current state of affairs and so commentary on that arrogance is similarly less relevant.

    Relevant as opposed to what in particular? Relevancy requires two items to compare. It is less relevant when specifically talking about it's relation to the current state of affairs, which you had not previously mentioned. Relevancy in terms of being an accurate depiction of their characters is not affected by the passage of time. Ignoring accuracy of a statement through the semantic rhetoric of time-relevance shows is pointless and a non-argument.

  • Haleydawn.3764Haleydawn.3764 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 29, 2018

    @Elva.6372 said:
    I don't want the solo/personal story aspects of the game to be a hassle -we have dungeons champions for that -I've been struggling with the LW solo stuff since HoT and have tabled any further progress on it for now because it's about as enjoyable as pulling one's fingernails out with pliers.

    There really needs to be a "story mode" for story modes in the game.

    All story content is not as hard as you’re making it out to be.
    If you can’t observe what happens, and figure out something as simple as timing a cc to break a very easy breakbar, you should probably stick to core Tyria.
    Story ‘problems’ are solved by simply observing what happens, and figuring out how to overcome it. None of the story instances have been a horrendous puzzle. I don’t want the story dumbed down, because it would be incredibly boring.

    Better get a wriggle on.

  • Cerioth.7062Cerioth.7062 Member ✭✭✭✭

    Im one of the people who did the fight pre-nerf - on the second day PoF came out. It wasnt bad when I figured he is draining life off of my pet and I should just stay merged. Killed the thing in 10 minutes. Fast CC made things simpler.

  • Aridon.8362Aridon.8362 Member ✭✭✭

    Sounds a lot like a wvw issue, oh wait!

  • Deihnyx.6318Deihnyx.6318 Member ✭✭✭

    Wait. People are still on that even post-nerf?
    I don't understand. I truly don't. Its not a telltale game :/

  • Arathor.5819Arathor.5819 Member ✭✭
    edited March 30, 2018

    @Tenrai Senshi.2017 said:

    @Arathor.5819 said:
    Okay... just as a side note to this thread, some people here are really condescending to others. This is an extremely difficult fight depending on build. When I was Sw/D weaver it was literally impossible.

    If a player doesn't know they can switch weapons by right clicking their weapon in their hero menu, they wouldn't be able to do literally anything. As soon as I switched to staff it was super easy, but without access to inventory, some players might not know how to switch. I guarantee you if you did not have the proper build to fight this it would be quite literally impossible.

    Some people can beat this while practically afk, others require a feat of Olympian strength.

    No one is impressed how easily you beat this. "Learn to play" without any other input isn't helpful to anyone and really is not welcome.

    That resurrection though.... XD

    Well, this is an old thread, but I'll answer anyway. Calling something "literally impossible" is basically little more than sensationalism. I understand some people might find this encounter difficult and may not grasp the mechanics of the battle right away, but you do yourself no favors by writing something off as 'impossible', even if just for certain builds, simply because you failed to complete it on your first attempts. All you're doing is giving yourself an excuse to give up and blame the game for your shortcomings, rather than trying to problem solve and overcome a challenge yourself. Ironically enough, despite mentioning how players can be condescending towards others, I don't think you realize how condescending or self defeating players can be towards themselves when they underestimate their own capacity to overcome a challenge.

    I can pretty much guarantee that if I used a Sword/Dagger weaver, I'd be able to do the battle quite easily. This isn't because I'm a superior player though, rather it's just because once you figure out the mechanics of the battle, if actually becomes very simple. I'll post my earlier post in this thread below, where I actually gave feedback on how to approach the fight:

    @Tenrai Senshi.2017 said:
    Perhaps I am late to the party here, but this fight is actually very easy once you understand its mechanics. I think what most people would struggle with is the mechanic where the boss drains your life and replenishes itself, but it's actually very simple to stop it from doing that.

    All you do, is fight it as per usual, either in melee or range, and when you see an orange aoe circle, it means it's about to leap at you and then start using a channeled life drain attack. When you see the circle, just dodge away from the boss, and keep running away from it. As long as you keep a reasonable distance, the attack will not cause any damage, nor give the boss any life. Once it has finished, it will perform another AoE attack that does high damage in the area around itself, after which you can jump back in again and resume damage.

    I've done this fight with multiple characters, a Revenant, a Guardian and a Thief, and I never had to adjust builds or swap weapons or anything. I used melee most of the time and just went ranged where needed. I also did the instance with a friend playing a weaver and when I explained the mechanics to him, he completed the boss easily on the first try. Sometimes people just need to look at a situation and evaluate it properly, to find a solution. Once the solution is clear, the task becomes simple.

    If the battle did one thing wrong, perhaps it would be that it didn't highlight these mechanics clearly enough for some players, but honestly, I actually like that some battles require you to figure them out to progress, rather than just feeding you with a silver spoon.

    As a final note, I will agree that some players can be very short or blunt with their feedback, and it can be frustrating, but maybe they are also just frustrated because people always complain at every little hurdle they face, and undue complaints often lead to the unnecessary toning down of content.

    I called it literally impossible as hyperbole. And really? " All you're doing is giving yourself an excuse to give up and blame the game for your shortcomings, rather than trying to problem solve and overcome a challenge yourself." ? What kind of toxicity is this? I downed this boss on my second try, > @Tenrai Senshi.2017 said:

    @Arathor.5819 said:
    Okay... just as a side note to this thread, some people here are really condescending to others. This is an extremely difficult fight depending on build. When I was Sw/D weaver it was literally impossible.

    If a player doesn't know they can switch weapons by right clicking their weapon in their hero menu, they wouldn't be able to do literally anything. As soon as I switched to staff it was super easy, but without access to inventory, some players might not know how to switch. I guarantee you if you did not have the proper build to fight this it would be quite literally impossible.

    Some people can beat this while practically afk, others require a feat of Olympian strength.

    No one is impressed how easily you beat this. "Learn to play" without any other input isn't helpful to anyone and really is not welcome.

    That resurrection though.... XD

    Well, this is an old thread, but I'll answer anyway. Calling something "literally impossible" is basically little more than sensationalism. I understand some people might find this encounter difficult and may not grasp the mechanics of the battle right away, but you do yourself no favors by writing something off as 'impossible', even if just for certain builds, simply because you failed to complete it on your first attempts. All you're doing is giving yourself an excuse to give up and blame the game for your shortcomings, rather than trying to problem solve and overcome a challenge yourself. Ironically enough, despite mentioning how players can be condescending towards others, I don't think you realize how condescending or self defeating players can be towards themselves when they underestimate their own capacity to overcome a challenge.

    I can pretty much guarantee that if I used a Sword/Dagger weaver, I'd be able to do the battle quite easily. This isn't because I'm a superior player though, rather it's just because once you figure out the mechanics of the battle, if actually becomes very simple. I'll post my earlier post in this thread below, where I actually gave feedback on how to approach the fight:

    @Tenrai Senshi.2017 said:
    Perhaps I am late to the party here, but this fight is actually very easy once you understand its mechanics. I think what most people would struggle with is the mechanic where the boss drains your life and replenishes itself, but it's actually very simple to stop it from doing that.

    All you do, is fight it as per usual, either in melee or range, and when you see an orange aoe circle, it means it's about to leap at you and then start using a channeled life drain attack. When you see the circle, just dodge away from the boss, and keep running away from it. As long as you keep a reasonable distance, the attack will not cause any damage, nor give the boss any life. Once it has finished, it will perform another AoE attack that does high damage in the area around itself, after which you can jump back in again and resume damage.

    I've done this fight with multiple characters, a Revenant, a Guardian and a Thief, and I never had to adjust builds or swap weapons or anything. I used melee most of the time and just went ranged where needed. I also did the instance with a friend playing a weaver and when I explained the mechanics to him, he completed the boss easily on the first try. Sometimes people just need to look at a situation and evaluate it properly, to find a solution. Once the solution is clear, the task becomes simple.

    If the battle did one thing wrong, perhaps it would be that it didn't highlight these mechanics clearly enough for some players, but honestly, I actually like that some battles require you to figure them out to progress, rather than just feeding you with a silver spoon.

    As a final note, I will agree that some players can be very short or blunt with their feedback, and it can be frustrating, but maybe they are also just frustrated because people always complain at every little hurdle they face, and undue complaints often lead to the unnecessary toning down of content.

    Okay, I don't see how my response was flagged and removed but somehow all this conjecture and insulting is somehow totally fine. I downed this boss on my second try and was saying "literally impossible" as hyperbole. This boss is difficult with certain builds.

    "All you're doing is giving yourself an excuse to give up and blame the game for your shortcomings, rather than trying to problem solve and overcome a challenge yourself" in response to saying not to disparage new players is incredibly toxic but totally fine according to the moderators. I've played this game for 13 years and finished multiple raid bosses with no problems with the mechanics, but sure, pointing out the fact that certain builds are not good in certain encounters is just "blaming the game for my shortcoming".

    "Ironically enough, despite mentioning how players can be condescending towards others, I don't think you realize how condescending or self-defeating players can be towards themselves when they underestimate their own capacity to overcome a challenge."

    First of all, that's not the correct usage of ironically. Even then, what are you even trying to say with this? What does "I don't think you realize how condescending or self-defeating players can be towards themselves " even mean? Yeah, I'll somehow grasp that esoteric concept, but does that somehow excuse treating other players badly?

    I finished this fight in 10 minutes and just had to switch builds, but your whole response is just the most condescending thing i've ever read. Thank you for proving my original point that these forums are toxic by being incredibly toxic.

  • Arathor.5819Arathor.5819 Member ✭✭
    edited March 30, 2018

    @sevenDEADLY.5281 said:

    @Tenrai Senshi.2017 said:
    As a final note, I will agree that some players can be very short or blunt with their feedback, and it can be frustrating, but maybe they are also just frustrated because people always complain at every little hurdle they face, and undue complaints often lead to the unnecessary toning down of content.

    Can I get an amen

    Except I was not complaining about the difficulty of this fight AT ALL. This is so incredibly aggravating that I just pointed out you shouldn't just gloat about your skill when your "feats" are not even impressive. People just completely do not understand what my critique was in the first place then just go on about how easy the content is. But I guess being frustrated by conflating what I said with completely unrelated arguments is perfectly good justification for just assuming 9000 things about a player and crapping all over them for things that don't even apply to their argument.

  • The fight itself isn't really difficult right now, as it got nerfed already. It requires you equip CCs and a dose of dodge skills. Except that, there are tougher fights in the game.

  • Laila Lightness.8742Laila Lightness.8742 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2018

    Acording too comments maybe bettet make boss die in 1 hit and make all happy ore remove fight even if it makes it feel dumb and pointless for it should be challenging he is your path too life

  • What is wrong with this fight oh my god. I´m doing the story only so I can get all the mounts, I always thougth all the campaigns were pretty sub-par storywise. First, this mission pits you against balthazar, you kick his kitten, he kills you in a cutscene. Then you spend 3 hours kitten around in a forest following a raven and then you get the Eater of Souls which basically cant be dealt with solo unless you play a high damage build. It isn´t even a fun fight its ruining my experience right now and the only reason I have not quit on it yet is because I dread having to do the whole thing again so much.
    Unacceptable. Nobody plays the Story of an MMORPG for a challenging combat experience - the rest of the campaigns can be beat by a relatively smart chimp or a cat that somehow got on a computer, so what the hell is this fight doing there. And how is it STILL so kitten bad this came out what, 2 years ago? I´m really really really mad rn

  • Dante.1763Dante.1763 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @Lugburz.5670 said:
    What is wrong with this fight oh my god. I´m doing the story only so I can get all the mounts, I always thougth all the campaigns were pretty sub-par storywise. First, this mission pits you against balthazar, you kick his kitten, he kills you in a cutscene. Then you spend 3 hours kitten around in a forest following a raven and then you get the Eater of Souls which basically cant be dealt with solo unless you play a high damage build. It isn´t even a fun fight its ruining my experience right now and the only reason I have not quit on it yet is because I dread having to do the whole thing again so much.
    Unacceptable. Nobody plays the Story of an MMORPG for a challenging combat experience - the rest of the campaigns can be beat by a relatively smart chimp or a cat that somehow got on a computer, so what the hell is this fight doing there. And how is it STILL so kitten bad this came out what, 2 years ago? I´m really really really mad rn

    Bring CC, interrupt his health stealing attack(the bar under his health will turn blue), rinse, repeat, victory. If that fails, and you still cant do it, stay at long range where he physically cant steal your health and whittle him down from there.

    The only class ive had issues with was my Ele but that was a L2P issue that ive since dealt with.

    Amana Silentchild; My Main
    Ember Wandertooth; The Kingslayer, Kianda Redpaw; The Blazing Light
    Why GW is Called Guildwars

  • Haishao.6851Haishao.6851 Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2018

    @Lugburz.5670 said:
    What is wrong with this fight oh my god. I´m doing the story only so I can get all the mounts, I always thougth all the campaigns were pretty sub-par storywise. First, this mission pits you against balthazar, you kick his kitten, he kills you in a cutscene. Then you spend 3 hours kitten around in a forest following a raven and then you get the Eater of Souls which basically cant be dealt with solo unless you play a high damage build. It isn´t even a fun fight its ruining my experience right now and the only reason I have not quit on it yet is because I dread having to do the whole thing again so much.
    Unacceptable. Nobody plays the Story of an MMORPG for a challenging combat experience - the rest of the campaigns can be beat by a relatively smart chimp or a cat that somehow got on a computer, so what the hell is this fight doing there. And how is it STILL so kitten bad this came out what, 2 years ago? I´m really really really mad rn

    There's really nothing unacceptable with this fight. Eater of Souls have very low HP compared to other bosses in the story, or the game in general. He's pretty much similar in strength to an Elite from Open World.
    All you really need to do is attack him normally, dodge away when he jumps and wait for his skill to complete before coming close again. You can also use CC skill to interrupt him when he jumps. Making the fight even faster.
    He put vulnerability on you with successful normal punching hits. To avoid build up of vulnerability which make you take more damage, use condition cleanses skills and try to avoid getting hit as much as possible by staying at range, dodging, blocking, or even just moving in circle around him.
    He sometime charges toward you if you're at range, just move out of range again when he does. He will eventually Fear you, which does nothing to help him.

  • Just kite him into something. Bring minions if you have them (necro, ranger pet, mes illusions). Let your minions do the fighting while he isn't able to hit you.

  • Every class has a build you can tackle him with. He'd just one of the few bosses that can't be dealt with using just any open-world build. Just have to tailor your build specifically towards beating him. As a guardian, I slotted in low cast-time hard CC and made sure I always interrupted his leap.

  • Well, it's been about a year now. I, too, rage quit GW2 because of this boss and the Balthazar fight right after.

    I decided to pick the game up again and, as soon as I logged in to see what part of the story I was on, I remembered why I quit in the first place. This boss.

    Has anything changed in a year? or should I spend the next 2 hours of my life on an unbeatable boss again?

  • Haleydawn.3764Haleydawn.3764 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2019

    @DiscipleofLaw.3796 said:
    Well, it's been about a year now. I, too, rage quit GW2 because of this boss and the Balthazar fight right after.

    I decided to pick the game up again and, as soon as I logged in to see what part of the story I was on, I remembered why I quit in the first place. This boss.

    Has anything changed in a year? or should I spend the next 2 hours of my life on an unbeatable boss again?

    Had you have read this topic, or the wiki, (or quickly google searched because your following post in this thread shows you 'don't have time' to read much) you would have found this particular Story boss was nerfed. It's even easier than pre-nerf, just more mindless 1-1-1 now.
    "The difficulty of the Eater of Souls fight was reduced in a October 5, 2017 patch: "Drastically decreased the amount of health the Eater of Souls can steal. Increased the duration the defiance bar is vulnerable on the Eater of Souls's leap attack. Removed the Eater of Souls's ability to steal health from pets and minions.""

    Better get a wriggle on.

  • Ashen.2907Ashen.2907 Member ✭✭✭✭

    @DiscipleofLaw.3796 said:
    should I spend the next 2 hours of my life on a boss that I struggle with again?

    A bit more accurate.

  • Ah, cool, thanks. I really don't have time to read 9 pages of peoples' posts.

  • Nephalem.8921Nephalem.8921 Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2019

    @DiscipleofLaw.3796 said:
    Ah, cool, thanks. I really don't have time to read 9 pages of peoples' posts.

    This is exactly why content shouldn't be nerfed for crying below average players.
    Why should I read guides?
    Why should I improve my build?
    Why should i learn how to play?
    Maybe it's not the content thats too hard. The story is so braindead easy. EVERY singleplayer game is 100000 times harder than gw2 story. Even most other mmos.

  • LucianDK.8615LucianDK.8615 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 9, 2019

    A l2p issue, nothing can be done about it sans dumbing down the game if they refuse to use the tools they have.