How does unranked matchmaking work?

Anodic.6712

@AnodicShadow.3647 said:What does the matchmaker for unranked take into account? Does it take your actual ranked rating and plug it into the equation, or is there some kind of hidden unranked skill rating?

The unranked matchmaker takes into account your rank and your profession. Your rank so that you're not playing against really good and really high level players and your profession so that profession stacking is prevented. Skill rating is only determined by the ranked matchmaker.

Anet never really told all the > @"AnodicShadow.3647" said:

What does the matchmaker for unranked take into account? Does it take your actual ranked rating and plug it into the equation, or is there some kind of hidden unranked skill rating?

Don't listen to this Hoodie.Anet told that unranked use different system to calculate your "rank", but they were very evasive about all the "few" elements that are used to calculate it.

All I can told you is that it takes into account your pvp level or matches played.The problem is that it doesn't reflect your real level. I have nearly 12k matches played and for most of my matches, I have very bad players because their system "think" that I can balance it. But I'm just an average good player. It's just that I like pvp. But I'm punished for it.

So with all my matches played, I lose much more than I win and it's nearly impossible for me to try a new spe because my team get destroyed and I must face 2 or 3 ennemy players at the same time because they wiped my mates. I suppose it's a bad exeprience for them but at least it's for just 1 match. For me it's a perpetual pain. If I don't play at my fullest with my top main classes, the loses are often guarented.

• 3 years later...

Gw2 PvP uses the Glicko2 matchmaking rating (MMR) and yeah that does serve as sort of a hidden rank and the matchmaker will try to match you with people in that same boat.

That's what its meant to do, anyway. I can't really speak for the effectiveness.

if you can speak robot all the info about the matchmaking algo is here 

What this doesn't do a very good job of explaining is that the longer you and your party wait in queue, the more broad the matchmaker is going to be in finding people close to your hidden MMR.

Former PvP dev Ben P once hinted that after ~10 minutes in queue, MMR might as well not exist. Assuming this to be accurate, 5 minutes would be about half as bad. 5 min queues are not terribly uncommon.

How teams/parties work isn't very well explained either. Each person contributes their MMR to an average in Unranked, meaning they can often get into games that they're either too good or too bad for. And I don't know about you, but I see this all the time in Unranked. Every team I run into is either pubstompingly 'gg afk' good, or its Friday night & me and the homies got drunk and decided to try Gw2 PvP bad. There is no in between.

The matchmaker will also try to mirror team comps; which is explained, but its also easy to game this aspect of the matchmaker.

If you just played an Unranked game with a terrible thief on your team, you could queue as thief for the next game then just switch to a counterpick before it actually starts. Chances are, you will get that thief in your game again, and they will have less chance of being on your team.