Best thief solo WvW roaming build?

whoknocks.4935

Hey guys, I am a new thief and everybody told me that D/P daredevil is the best build to solo roaming in WvW, I tried it and I am struggling a lot...

I find myself having more success using sword/dagger daredevil, especially against warriors or holosmiths, the mobility and utility of sword2 is great.

But I see even some videos of those dagger/pistol daredevils killing 2 or 3 people alone, when most of the times i struggle in 1vs1 a lot.

Sword/dagger daredevil is equally viable to use? Or core sword/dagger is superior? I feel with daredevil my survivability is way higher due to the traits it offers, I play acro trickery and daredevil.

Do you think i should instead focus and tryhard on learning d/p because it's the best?

If you can post me the builds you pro thieves are using would be appreciated. Watching all the traits and stats on gear.

Thanks everyone.

d/p is not the overall best.

there are many viable options depending on your opponents and where you fight them, other sets might be better. therefor i would suggest testing around with several weaponsets, traitlines etc. to find what is best for your playstyle.
in videos where people kill 2-3 and more alone, those opponents mostly are not even close to the skill level of the one killing them or just you know are distracted, just fail hard etc. but it is a situation you can find your self in often as an experieneced player. so when watching those videos, look for what kind of opponents they kill and from when the video was.if you feel like you do better with s/d, then it is probably better for your playstyle. daredevil over DA is more defensive and DA should lead to faster kills, therefor IMO daredevil will be better outnumbered against not soo good players so you can easier sustain that extra damage and as they wont avoid your damage as good. against better opponents in a 1 vs 1 , i think DA is better tho because you need alot of pressure to kill a decent opponent in a spontanous roaming 1 vs 1, you know most dont like to die and will try to run, dont give em that chance.i personally like to trade pressure for stealth, because with stealth you can sustain an infinite amount of rather bad opponents, because very few will pressure you fast enough if you go in and out of stealth due to target break, this stops their spamm. this way of playing wont get you any fame tho, as stealth is a safer escape then mobility in most cases. even tho you give up alot of pressure or infight sustain for it, people still see it as cheesy and skillless. but if you want to try my current build (up for change as you know deadeye rework so still in testing) build i mainly fight on rifle and sword is more for repositioning as targeted teleports allow you to chase in some spots were you might not be able to chase with a targeted shadowstep, as i dont really use it much for fighting i might swap there from s/d to s/p.

@"MUDse.7623" said:d/p is not the overall best.

there are many viable options depending on your opponents and where you fight them, other sets might be better. therefor i would suggest testing around with several weaponsets, traitlines etc. to find what is best for your playstyle.

in videos where people kill 2-3 and more alone, those opponents mostly are not even close to the skill level of the one killing them or just you know are distracted, just fail hard etc. but it is a situation you can find your self in often as an experieneced player. so when watching those videos, look for what kind of opponents they kill and from when the video was.if you feel like you do better with s/d, then it is probably better for your playstyle. daredevil over DA is more defensive and DA should lead to faster kills, therefor IMO daredevil will be better outnumbered against not soo good players so you can easier sustain that extra damage and as they wont avoid your damage as good. against better opponents in a 1 vs 1 , i think DA is better tho because you need alot of pressure to kill a decent opponent in a spontanous roaming 1 vs 1, you know most dont like to die and will try to run, dont give em that chance.i personally like to trade pressure for stealth, because with stealth you can sustain an infinite amount of rather bad opponents, because very few will pressure you fast enough if you go in and out of stealth due to target break, this stops their spamm. this way of playing wont get you any fame tho, as stealth is a safer escape then mobility in most cases. even tho you give up alot of pressure or infight sustain for it, people still see it as cheesy and skillless. but if you want to try my current build (up for change as you know deadeye rework so still in testing) build i mainly fight on rifle and sword is more for repositioning as targeted teleports allow you to chase in some spots were you might not be able to chase with a targeted shadowstep, as i dont really use it much for fighting i might swap there from s/d to s/p.

i tried deadeye but feels so damn clunky to use, it's not fluid like normal thief, probably doesn't fit my playstyle...

@whoknocks.4935 said:

@"MUDse.7623" said:d/p is not the overall best.

in videos where people kill 2-3 and more alone, those opponents mostly are not even close to the skill level of the one killing them or just you know are distracted, just fail hard etc. but it is a situation you can find your self in often as an experieneced player. so when watching those videos, look for what kind of opponents they kill and from when the video was.if you feel like you do better with s/d, then it is probably better for your playstyle. daredevil over DA is more defensive and DA should lead to faster kills, therefor IMO daredevil will be better outnumbered against not soo good players so you can easier sustain that extra damage and as they wont avoid your damage as good. against better opponents in a 1 vs 1 , i think DA is better tho because you need alot of pressure to kill a decent opponent in a spontanous roaming 1 vs 1, you know most dont like to die and will try to run, dont give em that chance.i personally like to trade pressure for stealth, because with stealth you can sustain an infinite amount of rather bad opponents, because very few will pressure you fast enough if you go in and out of stealth due to target break, this stops their spamm. this way of playing wont get you any fame tho, as stealth is a safer escape then mobility in most cases. even tho you give up alot of pressure or infight sustain for it, people still see it as cheesy and skillless. but if you want to try my current build (up for change as you know deadeye rework so still in testing)
i mainly fight on rifle and sword is more for repositioning as targeted teleports allow you to chase in some spots were you might not be able to chase with a targeted shadowstep, as i dont really use it much for fighting i might swap there from s/d to s/p.

i tried deadeye but feels so kitten clunky to use, it's not fluid like normal thief, probably doesn't fit my playstyle...

i think it will feel alot more fluid with the silent scope changes we will get soon (stealth at the end of dodge and no in combat restriction), but mark cast time will always make it feel a little less fluid then normal thief i guess.

i hope you improve on s/d , till your opponents fear your guildtag approaching !you will find people to train 1 on 1 usually around SMC and at southflag of ABL.(i dont know why its not in EotM as they often run out of participation anyway and there would be more servers to duel against there.)but always keep in mind a duel is different then a roaming fight, roaming fights are often way more aggressive as everyone tends to try to escape or deny an escape. while in a duel people wont run out of cooldowns as easily.

@MUDse.7623 said:

@MUDse.7623 said:d/p is not the overall best.

in videos where people kill 2-3 and more alone, those opponents mostly are not even close to the skill level of the one killing them or just you know are distracted, just fail hard etc. but it is a situation you can find your self in often as an experieneced player. so when watching those videos, look for what kind of opponents they kill and from when the video was.if you feel like you do better with s/d, then it is probably better for your playstyle. daredevil over DA is more defensive and DA should lead to faster kills, therefor IMO daredevil will be better outnumbered against not soo good players so you can easier sustain that extra damage and as they wont avoid your damage as good. against better opponents in a 1 vs 1 , i think DA is better tho because you need alot of pressure to kill a decent opponent in a spontanous roaming 1 vs 1, you know most dont like to die and will try to run, dont give em that chance.i personally like to trade pressure for stealth, because with stealth you can sustain an infinite amount of rather bad opponents, because very few will pressure you fast enough if you go in and out of stealth due to target break, this stops their spamm. this way of playing wont get you any fame tho, as stealth is a safer escape then mobility in most cases. even tho you give up alot of pressure or infight sustain for it, people still see it as cheesy and skillless. but if you want to try my current build (up for change as you know deadeye rework so still in testing)
i mainly fight on rifle and sword is more for repositioning as targeted teleports allow you to chase in some spots were you might not be able to chase with a targeted shadowstep, as i dont really use it much for fighting i might swap there from s/d to s/p.

i tried deadeye but feels so kitten clunky to use, it's not fluid like normal thief, probably doesn't fit my playstyle...

i think it will feel alot more fluid with the silent scope changes we will get soon (stealth at the end of dodge and no in combat restriction), but mark cast time will always make it feel a little less fluid then normal thief i guess.

i hope you improve on s/d , till your opponents fear your guildtag approaching !you will find people to train 1 on 1 usually around SMC and at southflag of ABL.(i dont know why its not in EotM as they often run out of participation anyway and there would be more servers to duel against there.)but always keep in mind a duel is different then a roaming fight, roaming fights are often way more aggressive as everyone tends to try to escape or deny an escape. while in a duel people wont run out of cooldowns as easily.

Maybe i just have to get used to the rifle skills, especially kneel... most of the times i forget to exit kneel and i get killed because stucked, i know its dumb.

I like rifle 4 to create space and kite...

Archived