Mounts in WvW

JayAction.9056

I just took the time to actually play first story of PoF.

I think mounts should be usable in WvW.

For everybody that has not unlocked mount yet or does not have POF > oh well

Who agrees?

Remember to thumbs up bros

EDIT: Only raptor mount. Remember to thumbs up bros :+1:

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It would be a nice aesthetic touch.Just remove the mount abilities, have them move at the normal 33% boosted speed (as if you're running on foot with swiftness) and have them punted if the player takes a hit that puts them into combat.Heck, you wouldn't even need to restrict them to friendly territory.

If you wanted to implement a mastery tree that gave them versions of their current abilities (far jump, high jump, teleport etc.) then you'd need to restrict their use to friendly territory.

~ Kovu

Nope. Nope. Nope. That would be rather unfair on those of us that cant stand the PvE in this game. I play WvW only. So saying "tough luck" to those that dont have them are the reason why they SHOULDN'T be added. What about those that cant afford PoF or for some reason dont want PoF or like me dont play the PvE???

@"ArmageddonAsh.6430" said:Nope. Nope. Nope. That would be rather unfair on those of us that cant stand the PvE in this game. I play WvW only. So saying "tough luck" to those that dont have them are the reason why they SHOULDN'T be added. What about those that cant afford PoF or for some reason dont want PoF or like me dont play the PvE???

I think if they introduced mounts to wvw it would be available to owners of PoF who choose to unlock the mastery.Much like with wvw gliding, I don't think there would be any pve involved.

And actually, looking at the wiki you don't even need HoT for gliding mastery; only Provisions Master and Shield Generator Mastery require HoT.

~ Kovu

Oh noes, people could move around slightly more quickly out of combat. The desert map might actually be manageable. Crap!Not to put too fine of a point on it, the less mobile classes could use the help getting around.

The result of what I'm asking for would equate to permanent swiftness while out of combat (and possibly within your team's own territories.)Would that really break the game?

~ Kovu

@Kovu.7560 said:Oh noes, people could move around slightly more quickly out of combat. The desert map might actually be manageable. Crap!Not to put too fine of a point on it, the less mobile classes could use the help getting around.

The result of what I'm asking for would equate to permanent swiftness while out of combat (and possibly within your team's own territories.)Would that really break the game?

~ Kovu

No. But it would neuter the mobility of the classes that build for it. How many non thief and Mesmer classes use their swiftness options?

Few to none because it hurts their class. Revamp all the swiftness and mobility options for thief, Mesmer etc, to more combat power or defense then maybe we could talk.

@Strider Pj.2193 said:

@Kovu.7560 said:Oh noes, people could move around slightly more quickly out of combat. The desert map might
actually
be manageable. Crap!Not to put too fine of a point on it, the less mobile classes could
use
the help getting around.

The result of what
I'm
asking for would equate to permanent swiftness while out of combat (and possibly within your team's own territories.)Would that really break the game?

~ Kovu

No. But it would neuter the mobility of the classes that build for it. How many non thief and Mesmer classes use their swiftness options?

Few to none because it hurts their class. Revamp all the swiftness and mobility options for thief, Mesmer etc, to more combat power or defense then maybe we could talk.

Er.

@Kovu.7560 said:out of combat.

The only thing mobility-related that would change if we introduced mounts in the manner which I am suggesting is that the classes with less mobility would effectively have perma swiftness whilst traveling from point a to point b. Mesmers and thieves would still have their teleports in addition to swiftness/mounts. Someone on a mount would not be able to keep up with a blinking mesmer or a shadowstepping thief. Or warriors, rangers and (to a lesser degree) engineers & elementalists for that matter.

If you die in a fight and port out, whether you have effective-permanent-swiftness (via the mount) or have to slot and rely on a movement signet while running back wouldn't change the fact that the fight would likely be over by the time you got back, or still going for quite a while if you managed to get back to participate further, slightly sooner. You'd have to hit quite the sweet spot in terms of how long that fight lasts for that 8% difference in movement speed to actually matter.

As for combat itself, this wouldn't change anything in combat at all. The classes designated to provide swiftness would still do so and those without investments in personal mobility could still potentially be screwed during the fight.

Why are you so worried about the "power creep" of being able to get around maps ever-so-slightly more quickly, sometimes, on some professions?

~ Kovu

Edit- This isn't directed at just Strider. This thread's getting a lot of 'no's, but with very few reasons.

@Kovu.7560 said:

@Kovu.7560 said:Oh noes, people could move around slightly more quickly out of combat. The desert map might
actually
be manageable. Crap!Not to put too fine of a point on it, the less mobile classes could
use
the help getting around.

The result of what
I'm
asking for would equate to permanent swiftness while out of combat (and possibly within your team's own territories.)Would that really break the game?

~ Kovu

Er.

out of combat.

The only thing mobility-related that would change if we introduced mounts in the manner which I am suggesting is that the classes with
less
mobility would effectively have perma swiftness whilst traveling from point a to point b. Mesmers and thieves would
still have their teleports
in addition to swiftness/mounts. Someone on a mount would not be able to keep up with a blinking mesmer or a shadowstepping thief. Or warriors, rangers and (to a lesser degree) engineers & elementalists for that matter.

If you die in a fight and port out, whether you have effective-permanent-swiftness (via the mount) or have to slot and rely on a movement signet while running back wouldn't change the fact that the fight would likely be over by the time you got back, or still going for quite a while if you managed to get back to participate further, slightly sooner. You'd have to hit quite the sweet spot in terms of how long that fight lasts for that 8% difference in movement speed to actually matter.

As for combat itself, this wouldn't change anything in combat at all. The classes designated to provide swiftness would still do so and those without investments in personal mobility could still potentially be screwed during the fight.

Why are you so worried about the "power creep" of being able to get around maps ever-so-slightly more quickly, sometimes, on some professions?

~ Kovu

Edit- This isn't directed at just Strider. This thread's getting a lot of 'no's, but with very few reasons.

Since the OP didn't specify what effects the mounts have in WvW. We will have to operate on assumptions.

1. If we assume that the mounts do provide speed benefit while out of combat, then let's take the infamous Desert Borderland (I dislike that map). The easy and constant speed boast from mounts lessen the significance of Shrine 40% Buff. This could potentially decrease the desire to flip them (unless you're diligent to capture 3 for even easier map traversal). If the mount speed is "good enough" then that Shrine Buff's importance is weaker, and thus "power creep" could be claimed here. Even if you hate PPT/objective flipping gameplay (the shrines), by adding mounts we introduced another mechanic that the original map design did not consider. I dislike adding mechanics after a map is made for it leads to janky "fixes" in order to incorporate or compensate for said addition.

2. If we assume that mounts operate in allied territory. The speed boost is already provided by guild tactics speed buff of 25%... the mount speed conflicts with that. Which is where you can claim "power creep." BTW, I dislike most of the implementation of guild buffs. So now we must adjust that because of mounts.

3. If we assume it's purely cosmetic. Then we start entering more particle clutter territory. Afraid I'd have to vote no. Their is already enough immersion breaking effects littering the screen. D: I suppose you could have toggles which is dev time spent on aesthetics, and not game play issues related to WvW. Although I'd assume it'd be easy enough.

My middle ground would be a map made for mounts separate from the other maps. Not a blanket insertion to every map (like gliding...). It would provide uniqueness to that map after all. I'd still rather not do this. Regardless, it is variety. I just don't think ANET will feasibly do this.

! Note: I do not care nor mentioned individual player skills or builds that temporary boast swiftness in order to argue against mounts. That'd probably lead to some circular logic funk claiming it'd be unnecessary to add mounts due to such builds.

@Hyper Cutter.9376 said:

@"GDchiaScrub.3241" said:(yes, movement speed is power creep).No, out-of-combat speed is a quality of life feature.

OP doesn't state anything about in combat or out of combat or otherwise. So I assumed he wished to shove mounts as is into WvW. Quoting a fraction out of context and saying it's QoL is irrelevant because of the lack of information provided by OP.

Even still, ANET considers movement speed additions power creep. I am not pulling that from no where: https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/34400/wvw-work-in-progress/p1

@Ben Phongluangtham.1065 said:The 2 enrichments currently on the list are a wxp bonus and a reward track bonus. I dont really want to make an enrichments that adds to power creep or suddenly becomes required for all WvWers to use.

This was after a player suggestion of adding a movement speed enrichment (operating like the passive movement speed from a mount).

Of course...we got underwater movement speed infusions anyway. Such consistency. #CusGameDesign